The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Breaking News: Dolphins sign TJ McDonald despite 8 game suspension

+6
Birdmond
HalCHorn
Degarmo
DolFan 316
JMP
white1
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Breaking News: Dolphins sign TJ McDonald despite 8 game suspension Empty Breaking News: Dolphins sign TJ McDonald despite 8 game suspension

Post by white1 Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:56 am

On Twitter from James Walker (filed to ESPN):

https://twitter.com/JamesWalkerNFL/status/847824033236254721
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Breaking News: Dolphins sign TJ McDonald despite 8 game suspension Empty Re: Breaking News: Dolphins sign TJ McDonald despite 8 game suspension

Post by white1 Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:02 am

Mando reporting 1 year minimum deal, will serve suspension then join team.

Not a bad move. Good insurance, if he plays well maybe he can stick on the roster for next year.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Breaking News: Dolphins sign TJ McDonald despite 8 game suspension Empty Re: Breaking News: Dolphins sign TJ McDonald despite 8 game suspension

Post by JMP Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:33 pm

Fucking asinine move right before a draft loaded with safety talent. Can't say I'm surprised, though - I fully expected this to happen. No

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:55 pm

The Fins are the only team in the NFL who goes out of its way to pay guys NOT to play. Bizarre even by this team's standards of ineptitude.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:28 pm

If he gets injured on his first game back, I'm gonna need a free drink from the Phins.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:45 pm

The crazy thing is that the Dolphins were reportedly the only team that showed any interest at all. So why the big hurry to sign him now and pay him for a full season? Who knows when he'll even be ready to play...no way he's going to be in game shape 9 weeks into the season.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:50 pm

It's all part of Ross's plan to wreck the Fins from within. Last year's shocking playoff run has only made him even more determined and redoubled his efforts. Yes, I'm completely serious. No team that actually wants to win makes the sort of offseason moves they have.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:34 pm

The suspension is without pay, isn't it? So the Phinnies wouldn't have to pay him for half the year.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:44 am

Degarmo wrote:The suspension is without pay, isn't it?  So the Phinnies wouldn't have to pay him for half the year.

Oh, OK. I thought I read that they signed him to a one-year deal, but yeah, he shouldn't get paid while suspended.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:20 am

For the price, I'm OK with it. It's a big need position, though and I want to see a pick out of a deep pool of S talent. Particularly deep at SS.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:39 pm

It's a signing that might work out but doesn't prevent us from drafting a safety if we really like one when our pick comes up.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:08 pm

It's just throwing crap against the wall to see what sticks, and it prevents us from developing young talent. Why wait 10 weeks for a guy when we can actually play someone at the position that can help us for years to come? We "solved" the safety position by signing a garbage player in Nate Allen and now a suspended player that isn't going to contribute at all for the first two months of the season. And this likely means we won't draft a safety at all, or maybe we wait till the 7th round and add a player that has no future in the NFL.

It's the same crap over and over with this team...band-aids instead of solutions.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:28 pm

white1 wrote:It's a signing that might work out but doesn't prevent us from drafting a safety if we really like one when our pick comes up.

Totally agree. Miami had private workouts with two safeties today. Great signing. No risk, potential huge reward.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:36 pm

white1 wrote:It's a signing that might work out but doesn't prevent us from drafting a safety if we really like one when our pick comes up.

I disagree. I think the McDonald signing means that we won't be drafting a safety high at all. We signed Allen to start, and now McDonald will hopefully be ready by week 10. That means a rookie is not going to play, and instead we'll roll with two veterans that probably won't even be on the team in 2018. Again, these are all band-aid moves that do nothing but prevent us from developing young players. The future of this team is not guys like Allen and McDonald. It's a waste of time.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:50 am

JMP wrote:

I disagree. I think the McDonald signing means that we won't be drafting a safety high at all. We signed Allen to start, and now McDonald will hopefully be ready by week 10. That means a rookie is not going to play, and instead we'll roll with two veterans that probably won't even be on the team in 2018. Again, these are all band-aid moves that do nothing but prevent us from developing young players. The future of this team is not guys like Allen and McDonald. It's a waste of time.

No draft picks were given up to make this move. Young players will still be drafted in two weeks. Based on players being summoned to Miami for the draft, there was never a plan to draft a safety high. They've been looking at 3rd round prospects. I don't see your problem. Despite this move , in three weeks this team still gets younger. Based on what I've read the target in rounds 1-2 is front 7 on D and OL and I agree. I still believe safety or CB is the target in 3.

You complain about depth, now you got depth.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:23 am

My complaint is that I want to see the team develop young players, not continue to start dead-end veterans.  And we haven't built any depth yet - all we did was add aging stop-gaps.  I still believe we're going to trade away most of our picks, limiting the amount of quality depth we can add.  Hopefully I'm wrong, but that's what Tannenbaum has done every year.

They love to talk about "continuity", but the way this team is being built we're going to be doing massive roster churning every single offseason.  That's no way to build a perennial winner.

Last edited by JMP on Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:15 pm

The team did schedule two of the pre-draft visits for Josh Jones and Justin Evans:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/02/dolphins-will-visit-with-a-pair-of-draft-eligible-safeties/

I'd be happy to hear either name called on draft day, or Marcus Williams.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:36 am

Well...look at it this way. What would have been the benefit of having McDonald show up last week during Week 10?

HUGE IMHO.

Maybe this is Safety-injury insurance for this season?

I don't know, but I don't think I would have done it. It is the sort of "clever" move I think Tannenbaum likes to make though.

Look at what Mike has done? Brilliant!!! Rolling Eyes

And it COULD work out.

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:55 pm

finfanatic wrote:Well...look at it this way. What would have been the benefit of having McDonald show up last week during Week 10?

HUGE IMHO.

But wouldn't it have been even better to have solved the problem of the gaping hole at safety before the year even started? We went into last season with Jones and IAQ as the starters - and literally no depth behind them. When those guys got injured, we had nothing behind them. This year, we are set with Jones and Allen as the starters. And again, we have no depth at all. Sure, it would be nice if we need McDonald in week 11 and he's able to contribute - but what about the first 11 weeks? And yeah, maybe we draft a safety in round 4 or 5 or something - but after sitting on the bench not getting meaningful snaps, will that rookie be ready to play if needed?

I don't know...to me, it seems counter-productive to add starters that are stopgap crappy veterans and/or stopgap injury-prone veterans and/or stopgap declining veterans and/or stopgap suspended veterans that are one mistake away from a one-year ban. But that's all the Dolphins seem to do. I'd rather go young and build through the draft. Who knows...maybe Tannenbaum surprises me and gets a bunch more draft picks and uses them to enhance both starters and depth on this roster. But I sure as hell ain't holding my breath.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:20 pm

IMO, this isn't helping for the simple fact that Miami will still have to draft another Safety.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:14 am

rightchea wrote:IMO, this isn't helping for the simple fact that Miami will still have to draft another Safety.

Maybe the Dolphins are finally going to listen to me and make the big nickel their base defense. And yes they will still draft a safety. Matt Miller, NFL Draft Scout, just tweeted he believes there are TWENTY safeties in this draft that could start. Astonishing number.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:48 am

After the injuries last year we need more bodies at critical positions. Defensive backfield, ends, and linemen. We always complain about lack of depth. Now we try to get some depth and we still complain.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:12 pm

Big Nickel wouldn't be a bad idea with the way the league is changing nowadays. I would certainly entertain Peppers at 22. He would help tremendously in the box and in pass coverage with TE's. It would ease the LB issue as well.

But what do I know
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:34 pm

Birdmond wrote:Maybe the Dolphins are finally going to listen to me and make the big nickel their base defense.

Now that's the best idea you've had yet!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy cheers cheers cheers

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:43 pm

CarsonChris wrote:After the injuries last year we need more bodies at critical positions. Defensive backfield, ends, and linemen. We always complain about lack of depth. Now we try to get some depth and we still complain.

But is McDonald really depth? He's one mistake away from a one-year ban, and he's not going to be available till at least week 10. What happens when we need a safety in week 6? McDonald isn't going to help then. And can we trust that he's going to stay out of trouble for 10 weeks?

We're taking a flyer on a troubled player that no other team wanted and who can't play for most of the season. I'd rather just take care of the position now and not have to wait for McDonald to be the "savior" before the season ends.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next