The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LIVE DRAFT THREAD

+9
DolFan 316
Degarmo
JMP
finskev
JEGnj
scotgif
white1
CarsonChris
Birdmond
13 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

LIVE DRAFT THREAD - Page 7 Empty Re: LIVE DRAFT THREAD

Post by Umix10 Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:50 pm

My preference was for the trade with Cleveland but oh well. Njoku even at part time would be a very formidable threat on any down. We could have found ways. The fact that whoever you draft is a development project anyway I would have like to take the guy who has a chance to develop quicker than slower.

By drafting guys we already have veteran stopgaps for, we don't improve this year!!!!! I would just assume they reach and taken Lamp. He's a plug and play starter who would have played a tremendous amount of snaps and made an impact from the day he walked off the podium.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:51 pm

My preference was for the trade with Cleveland but oh well. Njoku even at part time would be a very formidable threat on any down. We could have found ways. The fact that whoever you draft is a development project anyway I would have like to take the guy who has a chance to develop quicker than slower.

By drafting guys we already have veteran stopgaps for, we don't improve this year!!!!! I would just assume they reach and taken Lamp. He's a plug and play starter who would have played a tremendous amount of snaps and made an impact from the day he walked off the podium.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:59 pm

Second-guessing, through 100 picks:

1st round: if Atlanta was trying to move up from 31 and offering a third and a pick from Day 3, I would have preferred the trade down. I've heard that Dallas would have taken Harris at 28, so if they wanted him, it's understandable why they didn't trade down. Myself, I would have traded down to 31 to get the extra Day 2 pick, and then taken Lamp at 31 to have an instant starter at RG.

2nd round: Liked Melifonwu and Cunningham better at that spot. Probably go with Cunningham as slightly better.

3rd round: If we have the extra third, and Lamp was already taken at 31, I take Tankersley and Hendrickson. OG, LB, CB and DE and hopefully an extra pick on Day 3 from Atlanta.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:07 am

Well, it was going to be difficult for any rookie to start on this team, given all the free agent money they shelled out. McMillan should win a starting job right away, but it's at a position that doesn't see the field much. And Harris will eventually play 12-15 snaps a game barring a Wake injury, IMO. So at least these guys will contribute as rookies. But yeah, it would have been nice to get more impactful players in the first two rounds.

Overall, though, I'll take it - one of the better Phins drafts in recent years. So far I'd give it a B-, which is much higher than I usually grade a Phins draft. If we can add a guard and a safety later, that will be even better.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:08 am

HalCHorn wrote:Second-guessing, through 100 picks:

1st round: if Atlanta was trying to move up from 31 and offering a third and a pick from Day 3, I would have preferred the trade down.  I've heard that Dallas would have taken Harris at 28, so if they wanted him, it's understandable why they didn't trade down.  Myself, I would have traded down to 31 to get the extra Day 2 pick, and then taken Lamp at 31 to have an instant starter at RG.

2nd round: Liked Melifonwu and Cunningham better at that spot.  Probably go with Cunningham as slightly better.

3rd round: If we have the extra third, and Lamp was already taken at 31, I take Tankersley and Hendrickson.  OG, LB, CB and DE and hopefully an extra pick on Day 3 from Atlanta.

Excellent post, and I agree on all points.

I can't believe Jordan Willis went in the third...I liked him a helluva lot better than Harris.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:17 am

And speaking of the draft...Drew Pearson RULES all! That was the best draft moment ever.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:40 am

Reading up on Tank, and most of what I'm reading says that he is AWFUL against the run...maybe the worst CB run defender in the entire draft. Damn.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:48 am

Browns, Bucs and Bills have dominated the draft so far IMO. Saints, Jags and Panthers did great too. Browns get an A++++ from me.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:14 am

Looking at all the NFL picks and seeing the positions the Phins picked, here's what I would have done in the first three rounds, if I had to draft the same positions:

1. Tre'Davious White, CB, LSU
2. Jordan Willis, DE, Kansas State
3. Kendell Beckwith, LB, LSU

That's what an A draft looks like to me.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:36 am

Dorian Johnson, Desmond King, Carl Lawson (medical concerns, obviously), Isaac Asiata, Jaleel Johnson among the intriguing players still available going into Round 4.

Both Johnsons and King are steals at this point IMO.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:38 am

JMP wrote:Looking at all the NFL picks and seeing the positions the Phins picked, here's what I would have done in the first three rounds, if I had to draft the same positions:

1. Tre'Davious White, CB, LSU
2. Jordan Willis, DE, Kansas State
3. Kendell Beckwith, LB, LSU

That's what an A draft looks like to me.

That's really solid IMO. Assuming Beckwith heals OK, all 3 would be starters by 2018.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:04 am

JMP wrote:Browns, Bucs and Bills have dominated the draft so far IMO. Saints, Jags and Panthers did great too. Browns get an A++++ from me.

The only thing is they had to suck for years to get to that position. That GM is solid tho!!!!
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:15 am

My pressure point is the fact that they were really aggressive in free agency by addressing weaknesses. They filled nerds with stopgap veterans. IMHO they wanted to have flexibility in the draft to go BPA. Theoretically, it was a good plan. The follow up (the draft), didn't align with that theory. We had a chance to take playmakers on both sides! Again(beating a dead horse), Njoku, Peppers, Lamp and Olifanwu were there. They weren't the only ones who could have IMPACTED this year, but the point is, there's a disconnect between what they set out to do and what they actually did.

My draft grade would be a C! As JMP stated, none of these players will see the field significantly to make this team better barring injuries. S is a glaring hole, G is a glaring hole. The track record for a G in the 4th and beyond is crap. AND Grier was the director of college scouting!!! New position same old shit!

BTW, I don't drink IPA! In Hawaii, you drink Bud or Heineken's!
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:07 am

Umix10 wrote:
JMP wrote:Browns, Bucs and Bills have dominated the draft so far IMO.  Saints, Jags and Panthers did great too.  Browns get an A++++ from me.  

The only thing is they had to suck for years to get to that position.  That GM is solid tho!!!!

So when will the Fins finally have a good draft after sucking for years? (Rim shot.)

But seriously, the Browns' GM is not a traditional GM as such, but an analytics guy. It's the same as having someone from Football Outsiders or Football Perspective or some other similar site in charge of personnel. I will admit, their moves look great on paper, but because it's the Browns I would hold off on anointing them the next dynasty just yet. If any team can find a way to screw this up it's them.

Last edited by DolFan 316 on Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:31 am; edited 1 time in total

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:19 am

Umix10 wrote:My pressure point is the fact that they were really aggressive in free agency by addressing weaknesses. They filled nerds with stopgap veterans. IMHO they wanted to have flexibility in the draft to go BPA. Theoretically, it was a good plan.  The follow up (the draft), didn't align with that theory.  We had a chance to take playmakers on both sides!  Again(beating a dead horse), Njoku, Peppers, Lamp and Olifanwu were there. They weren't the only ones who could have IMPACTED this year, but the point is, there's a disconnect between what they set out to do and what they actually did.  

My draft grade would be a C!  As JMP stated, none of these players will see the field significantly to make this team better barring injuries.  S is a glaring hole, G is a glaring hole.  The track record for a G in the 4th and beyond is crap.  AND Grier was the director of college scouting!!!  New position same old shit!

MAH MAN UMIX BRINGING IT!!! PREACH AWN, BRUTHA!!!

So let me get this straight...the first pick is a shrimpy tweener DE who can only rush the passer but is apparently useless against the run. Okay fine, it's a passing league now, right? Can't beat the Pats without getting to Brady, right?

But then with the second pick they suddenly decide run D is important after all and take a LB who can tackle folks but apparently can't cover or rush the QB. I guess they figure Harris will become such a pass rushing terror opposing QBs just won't have time to spot the open man Raekwon's supposed to be covering.

AND THEN...they take a CB. But not just any CB no sir, it's the CB who's regarded as the worst tackling one in the entire draft! But hey, at least he's tall and stuff, right?

It really is as if Grier and Tannenbaum have no idea what their own vision for the team is supposed to be from pick to pick  scratch I mean yeah, I get what they're doing in at least trying to fix the D, I really do. I like how they finally stopped dicking around at LB and finally took one as high as the second round for the first time in seven years (no, that's not a typo). But hell, back in the mid-late 80s Shula knew the D sucked and kept drafting players to fix it too. He just kept taking the wrong ones somehow over and over (well, except for Offerdahl). Knowing there's a problem is nice but useless unless you know exactly how to fix it. This front office is trying the equivalent of building a house by hammering nails into random pieces of lumber and then seeing if the pieces will somehow fit without any blueprints whatsoever. At least IMO.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:19 am

I'm torn. I actually really like all three players but as I've said about 100 times I need an upgrade at guard and DT or I can't give a passing grade.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:54 am

Timmons 2yrs
Thomas 1 ye via trade
Allen 1yr
McDonald 10 day contract
Fasano 1yr
Hayes 1yr with a 2nd option

Bottom line:
Shore up now till we get replacements!!!!!!!!

The truth: McMillan and Harris are part time players. I don't even wanna mention that we drafted Maxwell 1.5(Tankersly) and the only reason why I give the .5 is cuz he is younger.

Really we addressed some concerns (LB,Run DE, TE) through free agency! S and G was something that we didn't get litterally!!!!!! We got fuckers!! IMHO. Those were the 2 positions at the vet y least we could have improved on with THIS draft!!!!! Njoku would have been the BPA at 22.....

These FUCKTARDS are seriously in need of some brain retrofitting surgery for ass backward thinking
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:06 am

I know what I think. I think Umix should post more often cheers cheers cheers

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:04 am

Umix10 wrote:BTW, I don't drink IPA!  In Hawaii, you drink Bud or Heineken's!  

One of my favorite beers is Hawaiian: Kona Fire Rock Pale Ale. They also make a great IPA - Castaway. I love Heineken, but I haven't had a Bud in probably 15 years or more. When I want a "regular" beer, I usually look to Canada - Molson or Moosehead.

Anyway, back to the draft...I hadn't looked too closely at Tank before the draft, but I liked his highlights. As I start to look deeper, I'm liking him less and less. Seems like he gets beat deep pretty easily and he has trouble tracking the ball. He uses his hands way too much, which will lead to penalties. And it seems he's even worse against the run than I initially thought. He needs some serious coaching up - much more of a project than I expected. I'll have to drop my grade so far into the C range...

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:34 pm

[quote="JMP"]
Umix10 wrote:I'll have to drop my grade so far into the C range...

I'm giving this draft a C as well, but only because Day 3 saved it from being lower. Another year, another mediocre at best Fins draft while other teams take the gems and stars. Life goes on.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:29 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:
Umix10 wrote:I'll have to drop my grade so far into the C range...

I'm giving this draft a C as well, but only because Day 3 saved it from being lower. Another year, another mediocre at best Fins draft while other teams take the gems and stars. Life goes on.

More than any draft ever, I think the majority (or close to it) of teams had excellent drafts this year - in the A and B range. Seriously. That's a testament to how much talent was in this draft class. Leave it to the Phins to end up with a C-level class. No

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7