Jarvis Landry Will Not Hold out from Dolphins as Part of Contract Negotiations

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Jarvis Landry Will Not Hold out from Dolphins as Part of Contract Negotiations

Post by rightchea on Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:23 pm

MIKE CHIARI wrote:Miami Dolphins wide receiver Jarvis Landry's agent told Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald on Tuesday that the wideout will not hold out despite his desire for a new contract.

Damarius Bilbo told Jackson that Landry will take part in training camp and will play during the regular season, but won't negotiate a new deal once the season starts.

Bilbo said he and Landry are open to negotiations prior to the season and added that they aren't upset a deal hasn't gotten done yet:

"The ball is still in their court; we are happy to go into a fourth year healthy and eager to put another year in the books. ... Why get mad over something that he signed as a four-year deal? It is what it is. There will be no ill will. He has never considered a holdout. He would never consider not getting better at football."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2716738-jarvis-landry-will-not-hold-out-from-dolphins-as-part-of-contract-negotiations

That good to hear.

rightchea

Posts : 1219
Join date : 2015-04-28
Age : 31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jarvis Landry Will Not Hold out from Dolphins as Part of Contract Negotiations

Post by JMP on Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:53 pm

It'll be really interesting to see what the Phins choose to do with Landry. Not sure the team wants to pay a behemoth salary to slot receiver that doesn't score many TDs. I think they'll wait and see exactly what they have in Parker before making a decision.

JMP
Admin

Posts : 3457
Join date : 2015-04-07
Age : 45

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Jarvis Landry Will Not Hold out from Dolphins as Part of Contract Negotiations

Post by white1 on Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:24 am

Agreed. We just payed Stills because a deep threat with world class speed is definitely a valuable asset. Parker has drawn comparisons to AJ Green, and if he does pan out then I'm sorry - I want AJ Green more than Landry. It's close, but I think the prototype size, speed and leaping ability outweigh the skills and assets that Landry brings to the table.

Highly likely we won't pay all three of them. If Parker does not pan out, the money goes to Landry. I still think it can work, but we may need a better tight end if Thomas is washed up.

white1

Posts : 1280
Join date : 2015-04-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jarvis Landry Will Not Hold out from Dolphins as Part of Contract Negotiations

Post by rightchea on Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:22 pm

It would be stupid to allow Landry walk. The NFL is now moving to having good/great slot WR.

rightchea

Posts : 1219
Join date : 2015-04-28
Age : 31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jarvis Landry Will Not Hold out from Dolphins as Part of Contract Negotiations

Post by DolFan 316 on Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:01 pm

white1 wrote:Agreed.  We just payed Stills because a deep threat with world class speed is definitely a valuable asset.  Parker has drawn comparisons to AJ Green, and if he does pan out then I'm sorry - I want AJ Green more than Landry.  It's close, but I think the prototype size, speed and leaping ability outweigh the skills and assets that Landry brings to the table.

You really think AJ Green is going to be cheaper to sign than Landry??? Shocked Shocked Shocked

DolFan 316

Posts : 2249
Join date : 2015-04-07
Age : 44

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jarvis Landry Will Not Hold out from Dolphins as Part of Contract Negotiations

Post by JMP on Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:39 pm

rightchea wrote:It would be stupid to allow Landry walk. The NFL is now moving to having good/great slot WR.

You can only pay huge money to so many receivers. Stills is already making a small fortune, and after 2018 the Phins will have to decide whether or not to exercise Parker's 5th year option. Add a colossal salary for Landry and you're talking about a HUGE % of cap space at WR. I don't see how the Phins can do that and remain competitive across the rest of the roster.

Of course, I am still not sold on Parker at all, but who knows...he could have a breakout season and then the team will have to make a difficult decision on Landry. I think they'd be smart to wait as long as possible to do anything with Landry...no need to make that decision now while he is still under contract. Let's at least see if Parker can make it through the summer without getting a hangnail.

JMP
Admin

Posts : 3457
Join date : 2015-04-07
Age : 45

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Jarvis Landry Will Not Hold out from Dolphins as Part of Contract Negotiations

Post by Degarmo on Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:41 pm

The NFL needs to change their salary cap around so that you take less of a hit on your cap for resigning your players. It's better for the fans that way. First renewal 20% reduction of yearly salary for the guy against the cap. Second renewal, 30%. Veterans over 32 resigning with same team they started with, 40%.

Something like that.
avatar
Degarmo

Posts : 1123
Join date : 2015-04-07
Age : 49

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jarvis Landry Will Not Hold out from Dolphins as Part of Contract Negotiations

Post by white1 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:16 pm

You really think AJ Green is going to be cheaper to sign than Landry

No, my point there is if Parker does pan out - he may turn out to be the next AJ Green. He has the skillset.

What he doesn't have is a consistent track record. So yes, my thinking goes like this (and there are a ton of ifs starting right here).

If Parker pans out, plays really well and shows AJ Green style playmaking ability, I think he becomes a higher priority than Landry. Maybe he won't be cheaper, but maybe he costs the same (or close enough to same). If I had to choose between the two in this scenario, I would probably take Parker. Because a skill set like that is probably more valuable than a slot receiver.

What I do love is Landry's energy and the attitude he brings to the offense. He's a leader, albeit an emerging and still maturing leader, but he's shown more leadership than probably anyone else on the offensive side of the ball. I don't take that lightly. If Parker remains middle-of-the-road, I am fine locking down Landry and rolling with Stills-Landry as our top two guys. Now, with that said - if you are going to go with two less-than-prototypical receivers (Landry being a pretty much pure slot WR, Stills pretty much pure deep threat) then you need a legitimate Tight End that is a weapon in the passing game. If Thomas is truly washed up, we have to find one somewhere to augment the passing game.

white1

Posts : 1280
Join date : 2015-04-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jarvis Landry Will Not Hold out from Dolphins as Part of Contract Negotiations

Post by DolFan 316 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:04 pm

Degarmo wrote:The NFL needs to change their salary cap around so that you take less of a hit on your cap for resigning your players.  It's better for the fans that way.  First renewal 20% reduction of yearly salary for the guy against the cap.  Second renewal, 30%.  Veterans over 32 resigning with same team they started with, 40%.

Something like that.

I'm strangely comfortable with this idea Wink

Seriously, it's brilliant cheers cheers cheers

DolFan 316

Posts : 2249
Join date : 2015-04-07
Age : 44

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jarvis Landry Will Not Hold out from Dolphins as Part of Contract Negotiations

Post by DolFan 316 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:08 pm

white1 wrote:If Parker pans out, plays really well and shows AJ Green style playmaking ability, I think he becomes a higher priority than Landry.  Maybe he won't be cheaper, but maybe he costs the same (or close enough to same).  If I had to choose between the two in this scenario, I would probably take Parker.  Because a skill set like that is probably more valuable than a slot receiver.

What I do love is Landry's energy and the attitude he brings to the offense.  He's a leader, albeit an emerging and still maturing leader, but he's shown more leadership than probably anyone else on the offensive side of the ball.  I don't take that lightly.  If Parker remains middle-of-the-road, I am fine locking down Landry and rolling with Stills-Landry as our top two guys.  Now, with that said - if you are going to go with two less-than-prototypical receivers (Landry being a pretty much pure slot WR, Stills pretty much pure deep threat) then you need a legitimate Tight End that is a weapon in the passing game.  If Thomas is truly washed up, we have to find one somewhere to augment the passing game.

Landry in a Pats uniform. 'Nuff said.

Really, Stills is the one of the three (this includes Hypothetical Parker) who shouldn't have been re-signed IMO.

DolFan 316

Posts : 2249
Join date : 2015-04-07
Age : 44

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jarvis Landry Will Not Hold out from Dolphins as Part of Contract Negotiations

Post by JMP on Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:18 pm

Just for the record, I've seen zero leadership from Landry. He's energetic and exciting and he's the only offensive player that shows any sort of emotion, but that doesn't mean he's a leader. I think he's too immature at this stage. Helluva player and in a perfect world he'd be a Dolphin forever, but who knows what will happen....

JMP
Admin

Posts : 3457
Join date : 2015-04-07
Age : 45

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Jarvis Landry Will Not Hold out from Dolphins as Part of Contract Negotiations

Post by white1 on Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:35 am

He's still young and he will mature. I'm inferring leadership based on the things Gase has said over the past few months. When he gets the ball he can make things happen, and that seems to jump start our offense more often than not.

white1

Posts : 1280
Join date : 2015-04-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jarvis Landry Will Not Hold out from Dolphins as Part of Contract Negotiations

Post by white1 on Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:39 am

Really, Stills is the one of the three (this includes Hypothetical Parker) who shouldn't have been re-signed IMO.

I tend to agree with you DF, and if you'd asked me last summer I would not have predicted resigning him. We'll have to watch how this plays out. I'm thinking the team is betting on Parker being Parker. In that case, Parker is gone after his rookie deal and we build around Landry and Stills.

It is difficult to envision fitting three highly paid receivers in the same salary cap. If we had Dak Prescott it could work because your QB is on his rookie deal. Not the case here.

Anyways, interesting situation to watch as it unfolds.

white1

Posts : 1280
Join date : 2015-04-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jarvis Landry Will Not Hold out from Dolphins as Part of Contract Negotiations

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum