The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cornerbacks Likely to Make Dolphins’ 53-Man Roster

4 posters

Go down

Cornerbacks Likely to Make Dolphins’ 53-Man Roster  Empty Cornerbacks Likely to Make Dolphins’ 53-Man Roster

Post by rightchea Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:04 am

Brandon Howard wrote:
The Miami Dolphins will face many difficult decisions in the secondary as their final roster takes shape. The Dolphins have acquired a great deal of talent at the cornerback position, as the roster is currently comprised of eight cornerbacks who certainly belong in the NFL. Assuming the Dolphins will keep six cornerbacks on their active roster, two of them will be looking for a new home at the end of training camp.

There has been an emphasis on making plays on the football this year. Interceptions and tipped passes has become one of the more important statistics for players and coaches during practices. Cornerbacks in Kevin Coyle’s defense are expected to mirror well in off-man coverage, as well as make a play on the football when it’s in the air. The cornerbacks who are the best fits for the Dolphins will make the Dolphins’ active roster.

http://www.sportstalkflorida.com/cornerbacks-likely-to-make-miami-dolphins-53-man-roster/#LS5mLIT3dhCszkJp.99

I believe almost everything that he has said except for Lippett and McCain. I believe if Lippett can show that his coverage skills are better than he might be the new nickel corner instead of Lippett.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Cornerbacks Likely to Make Dolphins’ 53-Man Roster  Empty Re: Cornerbacks Likely to Make Dolphins’ 53-Man Roster

Post by JMP Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:00 pm

My take on the corners, in order of how I rate them:

The top 6:

1. Grimes = lock, obviously. The only reliable boundary corner on the roster, but he looked like he was starting to decline last season.

2. Bowman = lock. Special teams ace and an experienced starter.

3. Brice McCain = lock. By far the #1 slot corner on the team.

4. Taylor = lock...but only because he was a high draft pick and has upside. He may very well be handed a starting job, but he has shown nothing at the NFL level in two seasons so far.

5. Bobby McCain = lock, because he was drafted this season. May play some special teams, but unless Brice M. gets injured, I don't see Bobby playing much corner as a rookie. Very raw.

6. Will Davis = probable. I don't know why, but the coaches love him. Special teams ace, but brings very little to the table as a corner IMO. Has good ball skills, but that's about it.

The rest:
--Tony Lippett = candidate for practice squad. Has some ball skills, but is raw and inexperienced as a corner. Excellent size, but he's not ready for prime time IMO.
--Sammy Seamster = no chance, unless there's an injury

Overall, not a group I'm particularly happy with. We really don't have a legit #2 corner, and depth is a major concern.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Cornerbacks Likely to Make Dolphins’ 53-Man Roster  Empty Re: Cornerbacks Likely to Make Dolphins’ 53-Man Roster

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:31 am

Bobby McCain's going to be a star. A STAR I tell you! The best pick of this draft, baby Very Happy

But this year he'll merely be the other starter Smile

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:56 am

DolFan 316 wrote:Bobby McCain's going to be a star. A STAR I tell you! The best pick of this draft, baby Very Happy

But this year he'll merely be the other starter Smile

Nah, nickel corners never become stars - and that's all McCain is. Mark my words - special teamer at best this season, most likely on the inactive list each week. Small and raw...bad combination.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:13 pm

Replace Davis with Lippett and I'm good. I'm actually fine with the CB's.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:34 pm

I think the CB position is a borderline-disaster. You've got a declining Grimes, two journeyman veterans, a couple of young players that have done nothing in two NFL seasons, and a couple of raw later round rookies. Along with the LB corps, CB has potential to make this defense really, really weak.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:25 am

unfortunately for Taylor and Davis were both injured and they didn't really get to much of a chance to prove themselves last year. I kinda suspect on Davis but I think that Taylor will show some skills this year.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:29 am

rightchea wrote:unfortunately for Taylor and Davis were both injured and they didn't really get to much of a chance to prove themselves last year. I kinda suspect on Davis but I think that Taylor will show some skills this year.

Davis is frustrating because he clearly has ball skills...his problem so far has been that he just can't cover, especially on deeper plays. Taylor is clearly the more talented of the two IMO and at least looks like he has some level of NFL talent - I'm just not sure he has the mental makeup to be a good player. The only positive thing I can say about either of them so far is that Davis has looked real good on special teams.

Regardless, I think this is a make or break year for both players...can't have them continuing to take up roster spots if they're not producing.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down