Rey Maualuga???

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rey Maualuga???

Post by DolFan 316 on Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:43 pm

Fins getting *really* desperate at LB now to be working THIS guy out.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2017/08/dolphins-work-out-rey-maualuga

Then again if they'd just signed Zach Brown like they should have all along, he'd probably be out for the season now too.

Meh.

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rey Maualuga???

Post by JMP on Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:26 pm

I liked Maualuga early on, but his career has really gone in the tank. No thanks.

JMP
Admin

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev on Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:48 pm

Maualuga started out a really good player until he hurt his knee and hasn't been the same since.

finskev

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 on Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:13 pm

Just got signed. What does this do for us?

Umix10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond on Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:10 pm

Umix10 wrote:Just got signed. What does this do for us?

Depth and experience for peanuts.

Birdmond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 on Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:40 pm

IMHO, familiarity with Burke, injuries, and depth makes me feel he starts in the middle Day 1 in the base package. Hull gets swallowed at times. Maualuga isn't what he was in college but he won't get swallowed

Umix10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif on Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:10 pm

If we get 10 games out of him, it will be much more that we would have gotten out of Misi. I guess he is an upgrade. Pretty good player, when healthy. Fits right in . A perfect Dolphin. Long injury history.
scotgif

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:00 am

Rey hasn't been good for a few years, but he's better than what we have. In that respect, it's a good signing...but I really don't expect much. Our LB corps still sucks.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:03 am

If there is a weakness that can get Gase fired, it will be his defense. Sooner or later, it has to be fixed.

All signs so far point to 2017 being "not our year". Especially on Defense.

Serious question - the money tied up in Suh, is that crippling our roster on Defense? Maybe it's better to be paying 1 or 2 elite defensive ends, or some combination of ends/corners than paying top dollar for a DT?

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:12 pm

white1 wrote:If there is a weakness that can get Gase fired, it will be his defense.  Sooner or later, it has to be fixed.  

As bad as his handling of the defense is, I think Gase's worst area so far has been the offensive line. A so-called "offensive genius" continually pursuing total garbage at guard and ignoring the backup center position when your starter is always hurt, is absolutely criminal. I've said a million times that you don't need an elite OL to win, and I've pointed out Super Bowl champs that won with mediocre lines. But Gase can't even get his OL to a level of "mediocre", because he clearly thinks the guard positions don't matter.

On defense, I think his whole philosophy is flawed. In his own words, he seems to want a defense that is built to "play with a lead". The obvious flaw there is: what happens when you don't have a lead?

And just like the guard position, Gase seems to think that you can just throw any linebacker on the field and all will be well.

white1 wrote:
Serious question - the money tied up in Suh, is that crippling our roster on Defense? Maybe it's better to be paying 1 or 2 elite defensive ends, or some combination of ends/corners than paying top dollar for a DT?

It would definitely be better to spread the money around rather than pay that much to a non-impact position like DT. DT is obviously very important, but as we've seen since Suh came to Miami, an elite DT won't make a bad defense better. Period.

And while we're on the subject of money, the contracts given to Alonso and Branch were and are godawful. Alonso was still under contract at a cheap price, so the extension wasn't necessary. And Branch isn't even that good...and the Phins later signed a better DE (Hayes) at a fraction of the cost. The money in those two contracts could have gone to other positions, such as guard and safety (another glaring weakness next to Jones).

Well, we'll see how it all plays out. Hopefully I'm wrong and Gase is right - but I'm not holding my breath.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:40 pm

One other thing about Gase:

Why is this "QB guru" unable to find a legit QB prospect? Matt Moore is so bad that Gase doesn't trust him...which makes me wonder why Moore is even on the roster. And beyond that, Fales and Doughty are worthless. Gase really can't find a QB that's worth developing???

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond on Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:36 pm

JMP wrote:One other thing about Gase:

Why is this "QB guru" unable to find a legit QB prospect? Matt Moore is so bad that Gase doesn't trust him...which makes me wonder why Moore is even on the roster. And beyond that, Fales and Doughty are worthless. Gase really can't find a QB that's worth developing???

I don't believe for one second Gase doesn't trust Matt Moore. Cutler is clearly better and I'm 100 % convinced Matt Moore wants to be a back up. Why ekse would there be zero comments from anyone on the team about Moore not getting a fair shot. As for not getting a developmental QB, how long has Gase been coach? It's not like he's been here 10 years. Furthermore with all the holes on this team there's no way they could have taken a QB before round 6 and name me 5 prospects in the last two years that were worth developing or that other teams have developed drafted late. I actually like Fales. I actually think Fales is better than any QB on the Jets roster. Now I will say I don't care for trying to develop weak armed QB's with limited mobility. I don't see the point. But then again in the last two years it's been slim pickins.

Birdmond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:03 pm

Birdmond wrote:

I don't believe for one second Gase doesn't trust Matt Moore.    

Well, when your starting QB goes down and you have a veteran QB as your #2, most of the time the #2 vet is handed the job - that's the main reason he's on the roster and making millions of dollars, to take over when the #1 goes down.  But in this case, not only did Gase never publicly give Moore a vote of confidence, he actually went out of his way to convince a retired QB coming off an injury-shortened season to play again - and handed him $10 million.  If that doesn't speak volumes about how Gase views Moore, I don't know what does.

As for the backups, I think Fales is awful.  No reason for him to be in the NFL, at all.  And Doughty is worse.  I was OK with Doughty being drafted, but at this stage it's clear that he's not NFL-caliber and the Phins are just wasting time with him.

I'm not going to go through all the developmental QBs around the league, but I can say that I've seen more from Josh Woodrum (Ravens) in 2 games this preseason than I've ever seen from Doughty.   Again, Gase is the QB guru...if Fales and Doughty are the best he can find, that's kinda scary.

Last edited by JMP on Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:41 pm

Maybe Gase is like those women who go out of their way to marry complete jerks because they think they can "fix" them? That is to say, he goes and gets the worst prospects possible because then when he "develops" them, he'll look like a genius.

Of course in both cases it never works and it's far better to get somebody who's already highly developed.

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn on Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:45 pm

I liked this year's draft picks overall but thought that it was a big mistake to not stockpile an extra pick or two to address guard sooner than the 5th. Oh well.

Yeah, I liked Doughty coming out, and he has a good work ethic, but it just doesn't look like he has it.

HalCHorn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:41 pm

rotoworld wrote:
New Dolphins MLB Rey Maualuga needs to lose weight before he practices with the team.
Maualuga is in the 260s, and the Dolphins want him to lose around 10 pounds. He has two-plus weeks to get ready for Week 1. The 30-year-old is expected to be the Dolphins' starting middle linebacker this season.
Source: Armando Salguero on Twitter
Aug 23 - 12:00 PM

So our starting MLB is still out of shape and not practicing - 2 weeks before the season starts. Awesome. No

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:43 pm

At this point he may not start.

First backup behind Hull, until Hull plays really poorly in a reg season game.

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:10 pm

white1 wrote:At this point he may not start.  

First backup behind Hull, until Hull plays really poorly in a reg season game.

Yeah, that would make sense. Hard to imagine Rey playing any time soon if he's not even practicing yet!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond on Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:52 am

JMP wrote:
Birdmond wrote:

I don't believe for one second Gase doesn't trust Matt Moore.    

Well, when your starting QB goes down and you have a veteran QB as your #2, most of the time the #2 vet is handed the job - that's the main reason he's on the roster and making millions of dollars, to take over when the #1 goes down.  But in this case, not only did Gase never publicly give Moore a vote of confidence, he actually went out of his way to convince a retired QB coming off an injury-shortened season to play again - and handed him $10 million.  If that doesn't speak volumes about how Gase views Moore, I don't know what does.

As for the backups, I think Fales is awful.  No reason for him to be in the NFL, at all.  And Doughty is worse.  I was OK with Doughty being drafted, but at this stage it's clear that he's not NFL-caliber and the Phins are just wasting time with him.

I'm not going to go through all the developmental QBs around the league, but I can say that I've seen more from Josh Woodrum (Ravens) in 2 games this preseason than I've ever seen from Doughty.   Again, Gase is the QB guru...if Fales and Doughty are the best he can find, that's kinda scary.

When was Gase named GM? I can assure you he had zero say year 1.

Birdmond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond on Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:56 am

DolFan 316 wrote:Maybe Gase is like those women who go out of their way to marry complete jerks because they think they can "fix" them? That is to say, he goes and gets the worst prospects possible because then when he "develops" them, he'll look like a genius.

Of course in both cases it never works and it's far better to get somebody who's already highly developed.

Or maybe there's been zero QB's worth developing. Remember before this draft this QB class was labeled historically bad.

Birdmond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:04 am

2018 is our year to get the next franchise QB, and he will be handpicked by Gase.

It doesn't matter if Tanny is ready to start and fully recovered next year. He's getting old, and he will somehow enter his sixth consecutive season of "it's now or never".

Get a franchise QB. Start Tanny or Cutler near term.

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:11 am

Birdmond wrote:
When was Gase named GM?  I can assure you he had zero say year 1.  

If you understand the power structure of this team, and who has input/control over what, then you're a better man than I am! LOL Wink

Regardless of who is making decisions, my point stands - if they can't find a better option than Fales or Doughty, then either they don't give a damn about the #3 QB or they don't know what they're doing. You're right that there haven't been a lot of great QBs available the past couple of years, but there absolutely have been better options for developmental QBs than Fales or Doughty. You can't tell me that a guy like Alek Torgersen or Sefo Liufau wouldn't have been better than what we have. Hell, I'd even take a shot at a major project like Jerod Evans. You want your developmental QB to have at least some level of upside that is worth spending time and energy on...Doughty and Fales have none.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:17 am

white1 wrote:2018 is our year to get the next franchise QB, and he will be handpicked by Gase.

It doesn't matter if Tanny is ready to start and fully recovered next year.  He's getting old, and he will somehow enter his sixth consecutive season of "it's now or never".

Get a franchise QB.  Start Tanny or Cutler near term.

I hope you're right, but I'm not so sure. IMO, Gase and the Phins think they're close, and if that's the case I don't think they will spend a high pick on a QB. I think they'll continue to go with a vet - Tannehill if he's healthy - and look to continue to bolster the OL and defense. My guess is they don't care about developing a young QB at this point.

A lot will happen between now and next offseason, so we'll see how it plays out. But my guess is we'll be in "win at all cost" mode, and that plan would not include a high pick on a QB.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:55 pm

From what I understand, Maualuga hasn't even been assigned a number yet. I don't know if he's making the final roster...seems doubtful at this point.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:17 am

Maualuga is finally practicing today, so I suppose that's a good sign. I'm still not expecting much.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum