The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Game 2 thoughts: Dolphins at Jets

+5
Degarmo
scotgif
CarsonChris
white1
JMP
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Game 2 thoughts: Dolphins at Jets Empty Game 2 thoughts: Dolphins at Jets

Post by JMP Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:30 pm

The Dolphins were scheduled to play a game in New Jersey yesterday against the Jets.  But somehow, much like Lawrence Timmons in week one, the team failed to show up.

As a Dolphins fan, I’ve seen more than my fair share of poorly played games and bad losses.  Yesterday might be at the top of the list.  Not even in the Cam Cameron or Joe Philbin days can I remember seeing a Dolphins team so unprepared and lifeless.  

All you really need to know about this game can be told in two offensive stats: the Dolphins gained just 86 yards in the first 3 quarters, and didn’t record a 3rd down conversion till the 4th quarter.  I can’t even find the words to describe how inept that is.  You really have to work hard to play that poorly.  And the defense?  They made Josh McCown look like a world-beater and Robby Anderson look like the second coming of Randy Moss.

There was a series of plays that summed up the day pretty well.  Preseason superstar and regular season dud Davon Godchaux jumped offsides on two consecutive plays (actually three, but the officials flagged McCown for a head bob).  On the Phins’ next offensive possession, the OL committed two consecutive false starts (first Ja’Wuan James and then Laremy Tunsil).  Just sloppy, undisciplined football all around.

Jay Cutler should be arrested for stealing $10 million from the Miami Dolphins.  Either that, or Adam Gase should be fired for begging Cutler to come out of retirement.  Cutler looked absolutely awful yesterday, throwing off-target, not seeing wide-open receivers and generally just looking like a washed-up has-been.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen a QB throw off his back foot, for no apparent reason, so many times in one game before.   Seriously, WTF?  Did he forget that you need to set your feet before you throw?  And the receiving corps needs to stop reading about how great they are and start actually playing like it.  Why are we paying Kenny Stills and Julius Thomas all that money again?

Ah, the offensive line.  The gift that keeps on giving.  Last week I mentioned that Jay Ajayi was hit in the backfield on nearly every carry, but had a great game because of his toughness and tackle-breaking ability.  Yesterday, there was no “nearly”…Ajayi was hit on EVERY carry.  And this time, he couldn’t break any tackles.  Ajayi had a miserable day, gaining an embarrassing 16 yards on 11 carries.  But I’m giving him a pass, because the OL simply did not run block at all.  Pouncey, the best player on the line, was thrown around like a ragdoll all game.  The right side of the line (Bushrod and James) was like a sieve, letting defenders through over and over.  The left side wasn’t much better, and it’s becoming clear that Tunsil isn’t the All Pro he was billed as.  Hell, I’m not sure he’s even good at this point…more like mediocre.  The OL wasn’t much better in pass pro yesterday, but I’ll just leave it at that.

The defense reached a new level of ineptitude yesterday, allowing the Jets – who have arguably the worst offense in football – to dominate time of possession for a whopping 36 minutes.  The fact that the Jets gained just 336 yards and only converted 4 of 13 third down opportunities makes that time of possession even worse…they didn’t even play particularly well, but the Phins still couldn’t get them off the field.  The defense played poorly at every level…no pass rush from the DL aside from the occasional Wake or Suh pressure, awful LB play and a horrendously weak secondary. First round draft pick Charles Harris is a total non-factor – he seemingly has no ability to get off a block and he has made no impact whatsoever in two games so far.  Kiko Alonso is a waste…what an awful contract that was.  The only thing of note that he did yesterday was whiff on an easy fumble recovery…the ball was right there and he somehow he just didn’t get it.  Chase Allen is our best LB, and it’s really not close….not that he’s particularly good, but he looks like a stud compared to Alonso and Mike Hull.  

The secondary was really, really, really bad yesterday.  The Jets exploited Byron Maxwell, constantly throwing on him all day.  Alterraun Verner replaced Maxwell on one play and promptly gave up a 69-yard TD to Randy Moss…uh, I mean Robby Anderson.  As an aside, grown men shouldn’t be called Robby.  Anyway…Reshad Jones still looks like a shell of his former self, and the strong safety combo of Michael Thomas and Nate Allen are absolute non-factors.  The only good thing was a forced fumble by Maxwell.

I’m so tired of saying it, but why the hell can’t the Dolphin coaching staff figure out a way to defend the middle of the field????   Last week, the Chargers constantly ran inside slants against Maxwell, knowing that he’d get beat every time and there’d be no safety help because the Dolphins play their safeties so far back you can’t even see them.  Well, the Jets did the same thing yesterday, and it worked again.  The Phins face Drew Brees next week…think he’ll be able to exploit the middle of the field?

Special teams was awful too.  Grant did nothing (other than muff a punt, which he fortunately recovered).  An illegal defensive formation on a field goal attempt gave the Jets a first down, allowing them to take valuable time off the clock with a new set of downs.  For some strange reason that I may never understand, about midway through the third quarter, trailing 17-0,  the Phins attempted a fake punt from deep in their own end (28 yard line).  It was so obvious that you could hear Jets’ players screaming “It’s a fake!  It’s a fake!” before it even happened.  Punter Matt Haack threw an INT on the play.

This was one of the worst coaching jobs I’ve ever seen.  The coaches were completely unprepared for this game, with seemingly no real gameplan and no half-time adjustments.  The offensive playcalling was boring, predictable and ultra-conservative.  The fake punt was a ridiculous call.  I’m also trying to figure out why the Dolphins’ offense was moving at a snail’s pace in the third quarter, with no sense of urgency, yet suddenly went up-temp on the final drive of the game with zero chance of winning.  In fact, the Phins even called a timeout with 6 seconds left, down 20-0!  Huh???  And why was the Dolphin defense so dumbfounded by the Jets using a defensive lineman as a fullback?  The coaching staff had no answers in this game – none.  I don’t know…I’m just not impressed by Adam Gase.  He’s more Joe Philbin than Don Shula, that’s for damn sure.

So that’s it…the Dolphins went on the road against a division rival and looked lifeless, disinterested and unmotivated, and they got their asses handed to them in embarrassing fashion.  And make no mistake – this is not a “it’s just one game” situation.  All the problems that we saw yesterday are the same problems we’ve been seeing over and over.  The Phins are usually able to minimize those problems when they play bad teams, as we saw last week against the hapless Chargers, but yesterday they simply couldn’t – and got curbstomped by the Jets as a result.  

Hero of the game: I guess I’ll give the honor to both kicker Cody Parkey and punter Matt Haack.  Parkey didn’t attempt any FGs and Haack is a punter.  That tells you what type of day it was.

Goat of the game: pretty much everyone, but I’m going to hand the award to Adam Gase for horrible gameplanning, coaching and playcalling.  Congrats, Coach.

Last edited by JMP on Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Game 2 thoughts: Dolphins at Jets Empty Re: Game 2 thoughts: Dolphins at Jets

Post by white1 Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:24 pm

Good write up.

I'm tempted to simply throw this game out as a fluke it was just so laughably bad.

It's so early in the season though who knows? Maybe we are this bad.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:33 pm

Here's my grading for yesterday's game

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:34 pm

Apparently the shit emoji doesn't work

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:47 pm

Great write up. Agree that we had no gameplan and have no team identity. My biggest issue is with the lack of sense of urgency on offense. Here is it midway through the 3rd qtr, we are down double digits and on offense we are la dee da. Every snap is with 7 or 8 seconds left on the 40 second clock. Zero sense of urgency from the coach and the veteran QB.

Cutler was bad Jay yesterday. Anyone who did not think this would happen this year, is just delusional. His whole career can be summed up as inconsistent.

Not sold on Gase yet. Where is the creativity? And I'm not talking about the 2 stupid reverses to Landry last week, I mean, where is the FREAKIN TE? He paid big money for Thomas, maybe THROW HIM THE BALL. How bout a two TE set? Fasano is a consistent vet. He can play. Throw HIM the ball. Maybe get the ball to Landry somewhere other than 5 yards of the LOS?

Defense? Do we blitz? I do not see it.

Basically, it is sad to say but to paraphrase the late Denny Green, "We are who we thought we were." We are what we are, mediocre again. Looks like yet another 7-9::8-8 season.
scotgif
scotgif

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:51 pm

white1 wrote: 

I'm tempted to simply throw this game out as a fluke it was just so laughably bad.

You can't just throw it out, because as I said these are the same issues we've seen throughout Gase's tenure: sleepwalking through the first half, an offense that sucks on third down and has far too many three and outs, a defense that can't get off the field and can't cover the middle of the field, etc.

The talent level on this team is bad, and that's due mostly to horrible drafting, but the coaching is a big problem too.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:56 pm

Between the timeout and yesterday's game plan, a bad week of practice, and a plethora of little things, Gase's credibility has taken a big hit.  It took him 4 weeks last season to wake up, but you don't have that luxury in the NFL.  

I can't help but feel like DF316 right now in that it's just a matter of who do we hire next at this point.  Hopefully, he'll (Gase) snap out of it and get it together again.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:29 pm

To be fair, we looked just as bad the first 5 weeks last year.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:40 am

Yeah I believe so as well. He gonna have to threaten some people before they get themselves together

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:52 am

HalCHorn wrote:To be fair, we looked just as bad the first 5 weeks last year.

And that's a HUGE problem. This is year two, and we should be making progress - not standing still or, worse, regressing. You can't keep pissing away games and putting the team in a hole.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:13 am

Serious question. Does the fact we had to lure Cutler out of retirement as our starting QB factor into the disaster on Sunday?

I'm really not sure. The way our offensive line played, and totally destroyed our running game, I can't tell if any QB would be successful. From Gase recent comments post-game, it sounds like "mental mistakes" were a big part of it, I'm assuming he's meaning routes run by receivers? But I could be wrong.

In any case, I'm just as disappointed as every fan following the embarrassment we just witnessed. But I don't want to get too wound up in knee-jerk post trauma reaction either.

Gase threatened a shake up, but I'm struggling to think of who he may want to bench. What are his real options? It's not like we have pro bowl offensive linemen waiting in the wings to take the field so we can bench a starter.

It's going to be an interesting week. I can't wait for Xs and Omar tomorrow, usually has some great insight into the team.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:18 am

PFF grades, of course they have to be taken with a grain of salt, but written here and provide some interesting tidbits.

Among those I saw:

Promising -

- JuWaun James grades out highest OL for Miami, and comparably good compared to the rest of the league. In short, we have OL problems, but to this point he is not one of them.
- Suh continues to be dominant, along with Wake, on the DL. Grading out extremely well on both run/pass defense.
- Vincent Taylor, in first real action as a rookie, grading out very good and better than Phillips ever has.
- Chase Allen is earning more work and is getting positive reviews.

Not Promising / Scary -

- Tunsil is not playing well. At all. Near bottom of league as a OT. This kid needs to step the F*&#K up!
- Our secondary sucks (surprise). Howard and Maxwell almost equally bad, with the Jets targeting Maxwell way more. Verner is no better, giving up a TD in literally one of the only targets thrown at his side, in his limited snaps. Tankersley needs to earn playing time, and quickly.
- Cutler has been bad under pressure. IIRC this was a strength for Tannehill. He was able to make teams pay for blitzing him. Not good news for a team with a bad O line and problems keeping a clean pocket.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article175380641.html

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:37 am

white1 wrote:Serious question.  Does the fact we had to lure Cutler out of retirement as our starting QB factor into the disaster on Sunday?

I'm really not sure.  The way our offensive line played, and totally destroyed our running game, I can't tell if any QB would be successful.  From Gase recent comments post-game, it sounds like "mental mistakes" were a big part of it, I'm assuming he's meaning routes run by receivers? But I could be wrong.

I blame Cutler for the passing game woes on Sunday. While the pass pro wasn't good, I do think it was on the "adequate" side. What I saw was a QB that had horrendous footwork, awful ball placement and poor field vision - and, for some reason, a very poor release (something I never really noticed with Cutler before). I don't know if it's rust or an undisclosed injury...or maybe it's just who Cutler is. Whatever the case, he played a really piss poor game and I can't blame the OL.

white1 wrote:I don't want to get too wound up in knee-jerk post trauma reaction either.

When you see the same problems game after game and they aren't being addressed, I think it's time to worry. It's not a knee-jerk reaction when you start to see patterns developing.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:29 am

here's another write about what went wrong...

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2017/09/26/the-tape-dont-lie-miami-dolphins-at-ny-jets-a-review/

to sum it up:

Cutler was wildly inaccurate all day. even when there was no pressure, he was rushing off-target throws. the review details about 6 really bad passes. i guess some early hits rattled Cutler and he went into the tank for the remainder of the day.

Jesse Davis and Mike Pouncey were man-handled all day. Davis is young and apparently Pouncey has not recovered to what he once was - or is supposed to be. As a side note, notice how all the local reporters are willing to call out Tunsil, Davis and the OL in general, but rarely do you see them call Pouncey out for his crappy play (cough, cough Armando, Omar...)

Maxwell is still playing way off and giving WRs enough room to do as they wish.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:54 am

white1 wrote:PFF grades, of course they have to be taken with a grain of salt, but written here and provide some interesting tidbits.

Among those I saw:

Promising -

- JuWaun James grades out highest OL for Miami, and comparably good compared to the rest of the league.  In short, we have OL problems, but to this point he is not one of them.
- Suh continues to be dominant, along with Wake, on the DL.  Grading out extremely well on both run/pass defense.
- Vincent Taylor, in first real action as a rookie, grading out very good and better than Phillips ever has.
- Chase Allen is earning more work and is getting positive reviews.

Not Promising / Scary -

- Tunsil is not playing well. At all.  Near bottom of league as a OT.  This kid needs to step the F*&#K up!
- Our secondary sucks (surprise).  Howard and Maxwell almost equally bad, with the Jets targeting Maxwell way more.  Verner is no better, giving up a TD in literally one of the only targets thrown at his side, in his limited snaps.  Tankersley needs to earn playing time, and quickly.
- Cutler has been bad under pressure.  IIRC this was a strength for Tannehill.  He was able to make teams pay for blitzing him.  Not good news for a team with a bad O line and problems keeping a clean pocket.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article175380641.html

PFF sucks. I don't know how anyone could give Ja'Wuan James a positive grade after watching these last two games. My eyes tell me he's been borderline-awful, especially in the running game.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:29 pm

white1 wrote:

Gase threatened a shake up, but I'm struggling to think of who he may want to bench.  What are his real options? It's not like we have pro bowl offensive linemen waiting in the wings to take the field so we can bench a starter.

I think I'd bench Tunsil for a game.  Sam Young sucks, but Tunsil needs a wake-up call.

At RG, anyone has to be better than Bushrod.  Put one of the young guys there and see what he can do.

Julius Thomas looks like a guy that hasn't played football in about 3 years.  Slow, out of shape and completely ineffective.  I'd stick his ass on the bench and give MarQueis Gray a shot, and I'd also throw some passes to Fasano.

Not much else you can do on offense.

On defense, I want less Maxwell and more Tank.  There's no way Tank could be as bad as Maxwell...and if I'm wrong, at least we give our future starting CB (hopefully) a trial by fire.  I'd rather see a young CB try to work through early struggles and learn on the job.  That's a helluva lot better than watching a veteran dead-man-walking continue to get lit the fuck up.

Last edited by JMP on Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:10 pm

i think i'd like to see them sit Cutler and give that young QB they've been grooming a chance...oh wait, they don't have one of those.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:33 pm

Where are the happy faces from the old site? My summary would be the face puking.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:54 pm

I'm in for all those changes. Let's be honest, talent development is a priority this season. Anyone think we can make a run at a Superbowl with this bunch? No.

So let's figure out what we have, try to coach up the young guys, and dump the old, dead weight.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:11 pm

This is a copy cat league. Some of the 3 receiver sets (bunch) other teams are running right now really disrupt and confuse defenses. All Miami comes up with is vanilla. I'd like to see Kenyan Drake catching passes out of the backfield. Shuffle passes to Ajayi. Some passing on first down. Something other than jump balls to Parker.
On defense, delayed blitzes. Press coverage.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:16 pm

CarsonChris wrote:Something other than jump balls to Parker.

Yep. Seems like almost every pass to Parker is a low-percentage jump ball. Why??? How about some passes that allow him to get yards after catch? Mix it up a little...can't just keep doing the same things over and over and get predictable.

Parker is actually very inconsistent on those jump balls...sometimes he's a total beast and fights like hell for that ball, but other times he's lazy and gives crap effort.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:20 pm

white1 wrote:let's figure out what we have, try to coach up the young guys, and dump the old, dead weight.

Yep, because let's face it: our cap is a mess this coming offseason. A lot of players are going to get cut, and we need to know if any of the young guys are worthy replacements. Handing out these stupid contracts to Suh, Branch, Alonso, McDonald, etc. is really going to limit what we can do, and young cheap players are going to have to step up.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:53 pm

In fact, Suh may be trade bait. Why not get a pick in return, start Taylor/Godchaux at DT, and pay for a FA defensive end? Would that not be a better way to use our cap space?

If creative, the team can do what it feels is right.

Branch and Alonso, given they were extended by this front office, are here to stay. That's fine too.

Maxwell? Likely gone. How many others?
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:13 am

white1 wrote:In fact, Suh may be trade bait.  Why not get a pick in return, start Taylor/Godchaux at DT, and pay for a FA defensive end? Would that not be a better way to use our cap space?

Not sure if Suh is tradeable given the cap hit. Here is info from sportrac if we trade Suh this offseason:

If we trade him before June 1:
2018 Dead Cap: $22,200,000
2018 Cap Savings: $3,900,000

If we trade him after June 1:
2018 Dead Cap: $9,100,000
2019 Dead Cap: $13,100,000
2018 Cap Savings: $17,000,000

So obviously any trade would have to be after June 1...but then that kills us in 2019. The way I see it, 2020 would be the earliest we could move on from Suh.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:04 am

white1 wrote:PFF grades, of course they have to be taken with a grain of salt

For what it's worth, I just read that PFF has Kiko Alonso ranked at #87 for LBs this season...with no one behind him. Shocked So maybe sometimes they do get something right! LOL

In all seriousness, it looks like Kiko is pulling a "take the money and run" this season. He looks lazy and disinterested after getting his huge payday. Even though I thought he was terrible last season, the one positive is that he was like the Energizer Bunny - non-stop motor and always near the action. This season, I see him totally dogging it. I've watched him walking/jogging in pursuit, not even trying to wrap up ball-carriers, and just generally looking bored. Horrible contract for the Phins.

That Andre Branch contract sucks too...he has been almost invisible. For that matter, giving Reshad Jones an absolute MONSTER contract after an injury seems like a mistake so far...Jones just doesn't look like the same player he was pre-injury. Hopefully it's just rust, but he's not exactly getting any younger.

Tannenbaum gonna Tannenbaum...nobody wrecks a salary cap like him.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next