Game 3 thoughts: Saints at Dolphins (in London)

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Game 3 thoughts: Saints at Dolphins (in London)

Post by JMP on Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:13 pm

white1 wrote:Regarding the offensive line, there's this:

And this should tell you how bad the Dolphins’ run blocking has been the past two weeks: Per PFF, 44 of Ajayi’s 46 yards on the ground against the Saints came after initial contact. In all, 148 of Ajayi's 184 total yards have come after contact this year; he has repeatedly been hit at or behind the line, which is an indictment of the team’s run blocking. That and Cutler have been the biggest offensive problems.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article176524436.html

Glad to see stats to back up what I've been seeing. This is the worst run-blocking OL I can recall. Defenders are just getting through the line the second the ball is snapped. To me, it looks like the right side is worse than the left in that area - but both sides are terrible. We're getting garbage play out of both guard spots - it starts there. But Pouncey has also gotten pushed around, and the tackles just look weak and overmatched.

JMP
Admin

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:35 pm

Looks like Tankersley took Maxwell's job based on a single start.

Well, it would be nice if one of our 3rd round picks pans out:

https://twitter.com/JamesWalkerNFL/status/914930981278273536

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:41 pm

white1 wrote:Looks like Tankersley took Maxwell's job based on a single start.  

Well, it would be nice if one of our 3rd round picks pans out:

https://twitter.com/JamesWalkerNFL/status/914930981278273536

cheers Good. At least something positive came out of that disaster yesterday. We need to see if Tank is the future, or just another wasted pick. Yesterday was a good start, let's see if he can build on that.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:08 pm

JMP wrote:Glad to see stats to back up what I've been seeing.  This is the worst run-blocking OL I can recall.  Defenders are just getting through the line the second the ball is snapped.  To me, it looks like the right side is worse than the left in that area - but both sides are terrible.  We're getting garbage play out of both guard spots - it starts there.  But Pouncey has also gotten pushed around, and the tackles just look weak and overmatched.

Nope. Still not as bad as '97. Not yet, anyway. Now THAT was the worst run blocking *I've* ever seen.

http://pfref.com/tiny/FRKnx

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj on Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:19 pm

Friggin Disappointing. Another wasted season and not even halfway point. Just tank and draft a QB instead of wasting a middle 1st round for winning a few games.
JEGnj

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn on Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:56 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:Glad to see stats to back up what I've been seeing.  This is the worst run-blocking OL I can recall.  Defenders are just getting through the line the second the ball is snapped.  To me, it looks like the right side is worse than the left in that area - but both sides are terrible.  We're getting garbage play out of both guard spots - it starts there.  But Pouncey has also gotten pushed around, and the tackles just look weak and overmatched.

Nope. Still not as bad as '97. Not yet, anyway. Now THAT was the worst run blocking *I've* ever seen.

http://pfref.com/tiny/FRKnx

Amazing that JJ who was so determined to run the ball had three of the four worst YPC averages in team history in only four full seasons.

And amazing how good we were at it in 1986 but only ran 349 times all year.

HalCHorn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea on Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:07 pm

I still not sold on drafting a QB in the first round. Look at all the teams that have QB that weren't first round picks and are doing better than Miami. Miami just needs a solid QB that can make the right decisions. Brady was a 7th round golden nugget and Dak Prescott was in the fourth, you telling me there is no way for Miami to find a good QB at all

rightchea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:34 am

rightchea wrote:I still not sold on drafting a QB in the first round. Look at all the teams that have QB that weren't first round picks and are doing better than Miami. Miami just needs a solid QB that can make the right decisions. Brady was a 7th round golden nugget and Dak Prescott was in the fourth, you telling me there is no way for Miami to find a good QB at all

Um, that's only two guys, and it looks like Prescott is falling back to earth a bit. Just sayin' Cool Even if you throw in Wilson that still just makes three. Brees was technically a second rounder but had he been drafted the year after he'd have been a first (#32 overall pick).

Besides, do you really trust THIS team to find a QB gem after the first round? Razz Laughing

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:39 am

HalCHorn wrote:Amazing that JJ who was so determined to run the ball had three of the four worst YPC averages in team history in only four full seasons.

And amazing how good we were at it in 1986 but only ran 349 times all year.

Not really amazing considering that JJ 1.) literally refused to draft O-linemen in the first round, 2.) drafted horribly on offense in general during his time in Miami and 3.) was determined to prove he was the team alpha male instead of Marino to the point of doing everything he could to sabotage him.

Not that I ever thought Lorenzo Hampton was anything special but he never really got the ball that much, in '86 or '88. For a starting RB who was a first round pick (27th overall) the amount of carries he had was absurdly low.

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:12 am

So in Gase's presse conference, he pretty much said that there's nothing wrong with the playcalling, the players just aren't executing.  OK...but doesn't that mean that as a coach, you are not properly preparing your players?  If no one can execute your plays, then you need to call plays that they can execute.  Don't just keep doing the same thing and expect different results.  

Gase pulled this stubborn BS early last year too.  Things only turned around after he changed his plan on offense.  But apparently, he didn't learn from that experience last year and we're back to square one.  I really hate coaches with inflexible, "I'm the best - it's not my problem" attitudes.

Last edited by JMP on Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif on Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:17 am

Gase comes across as a smug, know it all, can't tell me shit coach. Just his whole talk down to the media thing. Trying to be bellacheat after doing exactly what? Yes, bellacheat is an asshole, but at least he has won a little in this league.
scotgif

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:53 am

scotgif wrote:Gase comes across as a smug, know it all, can't tell me shit coach. Just his whole talk down to the media thing. Trying to be bellacheat after doing exactly what? Yes, bellacheat is an asshole, but at least he has won a little in this league.

Yep, yesterday Gase kept making snarky remarks like "but you wouldn't know about that", acting like he's the only one that understands football. Acting like an asshole is fine when you're winning, like Parcells and Bellichick - because they can get away with it when they have rings to stand behind. But what has Gase done? When he acts like an asshole in a press conference, he just comes across as an asshole - no credentials to justify his attitude. I don't want to hear whining and put-downs - I want to hear answers and solutions.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:38 pm

His quarterback isn't executing, except for one nice drive . . . well almost an entire drive, right up to the interception. Perhaps he should have just gone with Matt Moore. It could only be one loss worse, and that right now would actually be a good thing.
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top