ESPN: Jay Cutler has cracked ribs, putting status for Thursday in doubt

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ESPN: Jay Cutler has cracked ribs, putting status for Thursday in doubt

Post by JMP on Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:38 pm

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21128108/miami-dolphins-confirm-jay-cutler-multiple-cracked-ribs

Miami Dolphins coach Adam Gase confirmed starting quarterback Jay Cutler has "multiple cracked ribs" and that his chances of playing Thursday's game against the Baltimore Ravens are not strong.

"Right now it doesn't look real good," Gase said of Cutler's status.

So now the countdown is on...how long till Matt Moore gets a serious injury playing behind this piss-poor OL???

JMP
Admin

Posts : 3821
Join date : 2015-04-07
Age : 45

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: ESPN: Jay Cutler has cracked ribs, putting status for Thursday in doubt

Post by Umix10 on Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:20 pm

Doughty vs Kap?

Umix10

Posts : 264
Join date : 2015-04-08
Location : Waianae, Hawaii

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ESPN: Jay Cutler has cracked ribs, putting status for Thursday in doubt

Post by JMP on Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:28 pm

I heard they are planning to re-sign David Fales.

JMP
Admin

Posts : 3821
Join date : 2015-04-07
Age : 45

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: ESPN: Jay Cutler has cracked ribs, putting status for Thursday in doubt

Post by DolFan 316 on Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:17 pm

Oh darn. You have no idea how much it depresses and saddens me to hear that Cutler might not play Thursday.

Seriously, it's making me sad that Gase is refusing to just declare him out for that game and be done with it.

DolFan 316

Posts : 2438
Join date : 2015-04-07
Age : 44

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ESPN: Jay Cutler has cracked ribs, putting status for Thursday in doubt

Post by rightchea on Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:04 am

This is crazy, does he really not like Moore.

rightchea

Posts : 1307
Join date : 2015-04-28
Age : 32

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ESPN: Jay Cutler has cracked ribs, putting status for Thursday in doubt

Post by white1 on Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:25 am

Coaches do this. They want the opponent to prepare for one of two QBs without 100% certainty which one they will face. Privately, I'm sure they've already decided and it's Moore. Cutler is having pain breathing, how is he going to throw the ball?


white1

Posts : 1391
Join date : 2015-04-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ESPN: Jay Cutler has cracked ribs, putting status for Thursday in doubt

Post by JMP on Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:37 am

white1 wrote:Coaches do this.  They want the opponent to prepare for one of two QBs without 100% certainty which one they will face.  

I hate when coaches try to play these stupid head games. Everyone in the world knows that Cutler isn't playing on a short week. And besides - is there really that much difference between preparing for Cutler or Moore? I mean, it's not like going from Peyton Manning to Tim Tebow.

JMP
Admin

Posts : 3821
Join date : 2015-04-07
Age : 45

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: ESPN: Jay Cutler has cracked ribs, putting status for Thursday in doubt

Post by rightchea on Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:25 am

that is true. the weird part about it Moore could become Miami savior that they wanted.

rightchea

Posts : 1307
Join date : 2015-04-28
Age : 32

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ESPN: Jay Cutler has cracked ribs, putting status for Thursday in doubt

Post by JMP on Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:59 am

rightchea wrote:that is true. the weird part about it Moore could become Miami savior that they wanted.

Yep, but Gase doesn't seem to believe in Moore. Check out this article:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article180524541.html
Armando wrote:
Matt Moore infuses the team with electricity.

“Matt just comes in with a different level,” offensive lineman Ja’Wuan James said. “I don’t know if (it is) energy or presence because he’s a second quarterback, so he knows he has to bring that. I feel like he does a good job of getting everybody to where they need to go and getting a boost of confidence to everybody, just by how he is.”

So Moore gives his teammates a boost of confidence. How does he do this?

“Like I said, how he carries himself, how he makes you feel empowered,” James said. “He throws confidence in the huddle to guys. The energy he brings and really his confidence spreads to everybody else.

“Anything can happen when Matt is out there. He’s going to throw the ball downfield and give somebody a chance. He’s going to put you in the right situations. As o-lineman, and I think everybody in that huddle, appreciates that.”

This isn’t necessarily about how Moore plays. This is also about who Moore is. His personality affects other people positively. And it shows in how people around him react.

“Matt is a fiery guy. He loves to have fun,” receiver Kenny Stills said. “He has been doing this thing for a long time. He’s still the guy in here every day that’s talking trash. Every time you see him throw a good ball, he’s screaming, ‘Dimer!’ or doing the shots fired (pose). He really just enjoys his job. He loves being here.

“That kind of just ... It spreads to everyone else on the team. We go out there and we have fun. We know he’s going to give us an opportunity to go make plays as a receiving corps. We know he’s going to be prepared to help us win the game.”

...

Coach Adam Gase also seems to agree the Dolphins often play with more energy when Moore is in the game. But here’s my problem:

The coach, who I have great respect for, seems to believe that palpable energy is generated in other players because Moore is a backup quarterback and the team feels it needs to step up to help the backup after the starting quarterback goes out.

“I think anytime you’re the backup quarterback and you go in there, there’s a sense of urgency increase,” Gase said. “I’ve noticed that the last two years, going back to the Arizona game (in 2016) and then this last game...Guys realize the position he gets thrust into. You’ve got to do a great job and everybody has to execute at an extremely high level because there’s not much margin for error.”

So, again, Gase believes the infusion of energy and the added life is because of players not named Moore. Gase repeated this sentiment after the game ...

“Any time your backup quarterback goes in, you know he hasn’t had any reps all week,” the coach said. “Guys know they have to be on it. They have to be exactly where they’re supposed to be, because he’s really going off of almost pictures and what he sees on film. There’s no margin for anybody else to really make any error, because that’s going to put him in a really bad spot. I think guys really dialed in.”

...

Folks, it’s not about other guys picking it up on behalf of the backup. I’ve seen teams forced to go to their backup many times and the floppage that ensues is embarrassing. Backups are not energy infusing machines just because they’re backups.

Ray Lucas was a backup.

John Beck was a backup.

Chad Henne was a backup when Chad Pennington went down in 2009.

How’d that all work out?

This is a case of guys rallying to Matt Moore because he inspires such behavior. Simple as that.

He has a special gift of being able to fire up other people. It’s there when he comes in a game cold off the bench. It’s been there when he starts the game, as he did in three starts last year.

Whatever Moore’s flaws are, let’s just give him that nod because it’s obvious.

The head coach sees it. So why can’t he just say it’s something Moore brings instead of giving the credit to the other players?

Could it be because it’s something Cutler doesn’t bring and the comparison to Moore would be uncomfortable?


It seems like Gase is blind when it comes to Cutler. I have a feeling he'll hand Cutler the starting job again as soon as he's healthy.

JMP
Admin

Posts : 3821
Join date : 2015-04-07
Age : 45

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: ESPN: Jay Cutler has cracked ribs, putting status for Thursday in doubt

Post by white1 on Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:03 am

IMO the QB situation breaks down something like this.

Cutler has the better skill set, makes better reads, better throws, and knows the offense better.

Moore, is a superior leader and seems to have the "it factor" people talk about when looking for a franchise QB. However, his throwing skills, reads, and deep understanding of the offense isn't at the same level as Cutler.

So, it's two different guys each with their own strengths and weaknesses. IMO the players will gravitate to the superior leader. The coaches will gravitate to the guy with the highest ceiling, and best skill set. Simple as that.

white1

Posts : 1391
Join date : 2015-04-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ESPN: Jay Cutler has cracked ribs, putting status for Thursday in doubt

Post by scotgif on Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:43 am

Gase is stubborn. He is cutler's bud. He will do everything to keep from admitting that it was a mistake to hand select him from the retired-scrap heap. So, barring Moore winning the next 2 or 3 games, I think you see cutler getting the job back once he is cleared to play. Now, if we go 1 and 2 or o and 3, then you could make a point to go back to cutler. I still don't see Moore staying healthy behind this garbage Oline. That could make gase's decision a little easier. "After all, you can't play Moore when he's hurt."
avatar
scotgif

Posts : 280
Join date : 2015-04-08
Location : Sunrise, FL.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ESPN: Jay Cutler has cracked ribs, putting status for Thursday in doubt

Post by JMP on Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:55 am

scotgif wrote:Gase is stubborn. He is cutler's bud. He will do everything to keep from admitting that it was a mistake to hand select him from the retired-scrap heap. So, barring Moore winning the next 2 or 3 games, I think you see cutler getting the job back once he is cleared to play. Now, if we go 1 and 2 or o and 3, then you could make a point to go back to cutler. I still don't see Moore staying healthy behind this garbage Oline. That could make gase's decision a little easier. "After all, you can't play Moore when he's hurt."

I'm in total agreement with everything you say here, scot.

I fully expect Moore to get hurt as a result of the OL - probably against the Ravens.

JMP
Admin

Posts : 3821
Join date : 2015-04-07
Age : 45

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: ESPN: Jay Cutler has cracked ribs, putting status for Thursday in doubt

Post by DolFan 316 on Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:07 pm

scotgif wrote:Gase is stubborn. He is cutler's bud. He will do everything to keep from admitting that it was a mistake to hand select him from the retired-scrap heap. So, barring Moore winning the next 2 or 3 games, I think you see cutler getting the job back once he is cleared to play. Now, if we go 1 and 2 or o and 3, then you could make a point to go back to cutler. I still don't see Moore staying healthy behind this garbage Oline. That could make gase's decision a little easier. "After all, you can't play Moore when he's hurt."

Seems like a typical coach to me. Everybody has to earn their spot on MY team! Well, except for those guys I brought in from other teams where I coached, they get their spot no questions asked.

DolFan 316

Posts : 2438
Join date : 2015-04-07
Age : 44

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ESPN: Jay Cutler has cracked ribs, putting status for Thursday in doubt

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum