Game 7 thoughts: Dolphins at Ravens

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Game 7 thoughts: Dolphins at Ravens

Post by JMP on Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:05 am

Read the game thread for my thoughts.  I said everything that needs to be said there.  No need to waste anymore time on it tonight.

Hero of the Game: The cat that ran across the field late in the game.  Easily the most exciting thing that happened when Miami had the ball.  Honorable mention to Leonte Carroo (6 catches!!!) and Lawrence Timmons for playing their asses off when no one else bothered to show up.

Goat of the Game: The entire OL, and Adam "FRAUD" Gase for having no fucking clue.  Honorable mention to the entire coaching staff and team (except Carroo and Timmons).  Special mention to Suh, for being a sore-losing prick.

I'll leave you with this, which pretty much sums up the game:

JMP
Admin

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Game 7 thoughts: Dolphins at Ravens

Post by DolFan 316 on Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:02 am

I don't know what it is about the Ravens of all teams that makes them able to just absolutely pimp-slap the Fins all over the field every single time they play. It's got to be some sort of karmic price for that one win in '07, that's the only explanation I have.

Ravens came in at 3-4 with a -18 point differential and of course they win by 40. Last season they won by 32 but in their other 15 games they were 7-8 with a -10 point differential. Only one of their other 7 wins was by more than 6, and that was over the Browns.

Even the season before when the Fins somehow beat them only 6 other opponents in Fins history have outgained them by more in a loss.

There's just something about the Fins that turns the Ravens into a team of literal supermen, and then they go right back to being mediocre again afterwards. Meh.

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:40 am

My thought on that, 316, is that we have been a very weak team for all those years, and John Harbaugh has very tough teams, regardless of talent level or record.

Of course, he's an actual good coach, so there is that.
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:00 am

A finesse team gets bitch-slapped by a tough team, almost every time. Count on it.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:58 am

But why do the Ravens beat them so much worse than anyone else on a regular basis, even the Pats? Are the Steelers not a tough team? Because the Fins always play them close (in the regular season, at least). And I guess the Bills stopped being tough last season since the Fins swept them. And why do the "tough" Ravens struggle to beat literally almost anybody else?

I mean, there's a difference between losing by 2-3 scores and losing by 30-40. Even Philbin never lost to anyone by 40.

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:20 am

I fucking hate this team.

How many prime time humiliations are the fans expected to suffer through?

Jarvis doesn't like the chants for Moore? Fuck him! We don't like getting embarrassed on the national stage, time, and time, and time, and time again.

If I'm Omar Kelly or Armando Salguero, my first question after this game is "Give the fans and Stephen Ross one reason he shouldn't bring in a new regime and start over?"

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:32 am

white1 wrote:If I'm Omar Kelly or Armando Salguero, my first question after this game is "Give the fans and Stephen Ross one reason he shouldn't bring in a new regime and start over?"

Sorry, but Armando feels the same way I do about this--it's just one loss and the Fins were in this same situation last year and won the next game and made the playoffs.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article181190741.html

And if you want reasons here's one: Ross has botched every regime change he's instituted.

I'd still like to see what Gase could do with a front office that knows how to draft. Tannanbaum and Grier need to go before Gase does.

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:47 am

DolFan 316 wrote:But why do the Ravens beat them so much worse than anyone else on a regular basis, even the Pats? Are the Steelers not a tough team? Because the Fins always play them close (in the regular season, at least). And I guess the Bills stopped being tough last season since the Fins swept them. And why do the "tough" Ravens struggle to beat literally almost anybody else?

I mean, there's a difference between losing by 2-3 scores and losing by 30-40. Even Philbin never lost to anyone by 40.

I'm telling you, it's just a bad matchup. When it comes to toughness, the Ravens just might be the toughest team in the league - and it's been that way for years. That team is loaded with big, strong, aggressive fighters - on both sides of the ball. The Dolphins are good at talking and reading their own press, but when it comes right down to it, they're weak and heartless. Think about it...who is a mauler on the OL? Which D-lineman is a straight-up beast (and don't give me Suh...he's done NOTHING to improve this defense, and last night he was reduced to pushing around a backup QB after the whistle.) Other than Timmons, which LB are teams scared of? Which DB makes opponents piss their pants in fear of going over the middle? The answer to all these questions is: no one. The Ravens aren't always good, but when it comes to a street brawl, when the Dolphins face them it's like bringing a straw to World War III.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:48 am

Hey, merc go to the game???

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:55 am

And if you want reasons here's one: Ross has botched every regime change he's instituted.

I'd still like to see what Gase could do with a front office that knows how to draft. Tannanbaum and Grier need to go before Gase does.

I tend to agree with this.

However, I'm not sure you can get the right front office with a holdover coach. Won't the TOP NOTCH executives want to clean house and bring in everything, from the GM all the way down to scouting as well as the coaching staff?

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:57 am

DolFan 316 wrote:

What happened to all the talk about what a great draft this was? How about all the talk about how we had the most talented WR corps in the NFL? What about bringing in a $10 million QB that was so tight with Gase that he knew the offense backward and forward? What about the $6 million TE that was going to score 10 TDs because he knew how to play in Gase's offense?

Seems to me, all of that was nothing but a load of bullshit. And yeah, a lot of that is on Tannenbaum and Grier.

BUT...

The way this team starts games slowly, week after week without fail, and the way this offense has struggled (last in the NFL in every single key category through almost half the season) - how can you not point the finger at Gase??? Gase hand-picked Cutler, Thomas and Bushrod, and he's responsible for the entire offense. This is his mess - no one else's. He's the one that ignores the rest of the team, and focuses on the offense - an offense that is the worst in the entire league. He's completely in over his head, and he clearly has no solutions. For 7 games now, this offense has looked like garbage and the defense has been hanging on by a thread, just waiting to be exploited. Teams take on the personality of their head coach, so don't be surprised that we have a team full of weak, whining, arrogant, excuse-makers that don't know what they're doing.

As always with this team, the problem isn't one thing - it's everything. It's Ross, Tannenbaum, Grier and Gase - and the scouting staff. All need to be replaced - bottom line.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:03 am

JMP wrote:I'm telling you, it's just a bad matchup.  When it comes to toughness, the Ravens just might be the toughest team in the league - and it's been that way for years.  That team is loaded with big, strong, aggressive fighters - on both sides of the ball.  The Dolphins are good at talking and reading their own press, but when it comes right down to it, they're weak and heartless.  Think about it...who is a mauler on the OL?  Which D-lineman is a straight-up beast (and don't give me Suh...he's done NOTHING to improve this defense, and last night he was reduced to pushing around a backup QB after the whistle.)  Other than Timmons, which LB are teams scared of?  Which DB makes  opponents piss their pants in fear of going over the middle?  The answer to all these questions is: no one.  The Ravens aren't always good, but when it comes to a street brawl, when the Dolphins face them it's like bringing a straw to World War III.

But again, why do these big, tough street fighters never smack anyone else around like this? Surely you think they would, but even the Browns put up a tougher fight against them than this. Hell, the Bears were supposed to be a dumpster fire, and even THEY beat the Ravens.

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:04 am

JMP wrote:Hey, merc go to the game???

LMAO!!! I had completely forgotten that he said he'd be there Laughing

At least we know he got out of the place alive.

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:06 am

white1 wrote:I fucking hate this team.

How many prime time humiliations are the fans expected to suffer through?

Jarvis doesn't like the chants for Moore? Fuck him! We don't like getting embarrassed on the national stage, time, and time, and time, and time again.

If I'm Omar Kelly or Armando Salguero, my first question after this game is "Give the fans and Stephen Ross one reason he shouldn't bring in a new regime and start over?"

Amen brother.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:08 am

JMP wrote:What happened to all the talk about what a great draft this was?  How about all the talk about how we had the most talented WR corps in the NFL?  What about bringing in a $10 million QB that was so tight with Gase that he knew the offense backward and forward?  What about the $6 million TE that was going to score 10 TDs because he knew how to play in Gase's offense?

Um...what?!?! Shocked Who was saying this draft was "great"??? Certainly nobody on here. And the general consensus was also that Thomas would be a bust as well.

Right now you're just letting your frustration and anger do the talking. And if anybody knows about that it's me Laughing

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:11 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:What happened to all the talk about what a great draft this was?  How about all the talk about how we had the most talented WR corps in the NFL?  What about bringing in a $10 million QB that was so tight with Gase that he knew the offense backward and forward?  What about the $6 million TE that was going to score 10 TDs because he knew how to play in Gase's offense?

Um...what?!?!  Shocked Who was saying this draft was "great"??? Certainly nobody on here. And the general consensus was also that Thomas would be a bust as well.

Right now you're just letting your frustration and anger do the talking. And if anybody knows about that it's me Laughing

No, not on this board - but everywhere else. Every other Dolphin message board, radio shows, the Miami media, etc. A lot of people drank the kool-aid this offseason.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:13 am

JMP wrote:No, not on this board - but everywhere else.  Every other Dolphin message board, radio shows, the Miami media, etc.  A lot of people drank the kool-aid this offseason.

That's their problem, then. Don't let it become yours.

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:25 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:No, not on this board - but everywhere else.  Every other Dolphin message board, radio shows, the Miami media, etc.  A lot of people drank the kool-aid this offseason.

That's their problem, then. Don't let it become yours.

Not my problem - I was never on the Gase bandwagon and I never thought this year's team would win more than 8 games. But that doesn't make it any less frustrating to see this team play like absolute garbage for the past 8 games going back to the playoff loss last year.

That said, there's no excuse for the ineptitude on this offense - NONE. It falls on the shoulders of one person: Gase.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:36 am

I am officially placing Laremy Tunsil on stage 1 BUST ALERT.

He's committing far too many penalties, and allowing way too many sacks/pressures to qualify as an elite LT. Hell, at this rate it looks like best bet would be to kick him inside and play LG, and then draft a true LT. Now that may or may not transpire, but it's at least a possibility.

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:56 am

white1 wrote:I am officially placing Laremy Tunsil on stage 1 BUST ALERT.

He's committing far too many penalties, and allowing way too many sacks/pressures to qualify as an elite LT.  Hell, at this rate it looks like best bet would be to kick him inside and play LG, and then draft a true LT.  Now that may or may not transpire, but it's at least a possibility.

Too late to do it this season, but maybe in the offseason it might be worth trying Tunsil at guard and Davis at tackle. Tunsil wasn't exactly a world-beater at guard last season, but he was a helluva lot better than he is at LT. And Davis is really a tackle that the Phins are trying (unsuccessfully, so far) to turn into a guard. Something to consider, at least.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:58 am

Think the Ravens may have known something beyond the bong video when they drafted the other guy at LT instead of Tunsil?

Yeah, me too...

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:10 am

white1 wrote:Think the Ravens may have known something beyond the bong video when they drafted the other guy at LT instead of Tunsil?

Yeah, me too...

Except that going into this game the Ravens were about as bad on offense as the Fins, and according to PFR both players had an AV (Approximate Value) of 6 last season, so is Stanley really better than Tunsil, or does it just look that way because of how the games between the teams have gone?

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:13 am

white1 wrote:Think the Ravens may have known something beyond the bong video when they drafted the other guy at LT instead of Tunsil?

Yeah, me too...

Yep, Ronnie Stanley is a stud. Already a top run blocker in this league form what I've seen from him this season. Did you see the push he was getting in the run game last night?  He was going up against Charles Harris most of the night, but still...very impressive.  And the RG and C (Skura and Jensen) were absolutely dominant - Suh couldn't do anything against them.  

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top