Gase speaks after Ravens loss

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gase speaks after Ravens loss

Post by JMP on Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:01 pm

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2017/10/27/what-miami-dolphins-adam-gase-said-friday/

What Dolphins coach Adam Gase said Friday following Thursday night’s 40-0 rout by the Baltimore Ravens:

On simplifying the system vs. oversimplifying: “We’re not putting the work in. Guys should take this stuff home and study it. We’ve got to find guys who will actually put forth effort. Really it starts with our best players.”

"I’m done compromising with anybody.”

On offensive line: “To me it comes down to more than just offensive line. Majority of the time the line knows where to go and what to do. Running backs, we never blocked the right guy.”

On Jay Cutler: “He’s playing” vs. Oakland. He could have played last week.

On runs: “We’ve got to stop trying to hit home runs all the time. It’s on the running back. Do your job. It’s not hard to do.”

Gase says he has been addressing issues with players not studying enough for “two years.” Says he’s fed up with it.

On Michael Thomas: “He’s a true pro. He gives everything he has on special teams and when he gets thrown in on defense he knows what to do.”

On Kiko Alonso hit: “That’s a tough one. I know Kiko was in a tough spot because he’s running for the first down.” Says Joe Flacco’s slide “was not a true slide you see. It’s a tough play to tell a guy what to do.” Says if Flacco did get a first down, “We go, what are you doing?”

Says DeVante Parker didn’t play because he knew it would be a physical game.

Possibility G Ted Larsen may practice this week.

OL Anthony Steen’s foot injury will mean he’ll be out “a while.” Steen had surgery.

On 4-3 record: “The whole process is about correcting mistakes you make. When you win, what happens is everybody brushes it under the rug and everybody tells you how great you are.”

“We’ve been embarrassed three times in three losses.” Says that validates the things Gase has been harping on.

Says defense and special teams players are studying but offensively “it’s a joke. We’ve got too many guys who don’t want to take it home with them.” Again points to team’s “best players.”

"I’m pissed. I’m tired of this. I’m tired of the offense being awful. Guys better get their heads right.”

“We’re the worst offense in football. It’s hard to go lower than that.”

I bolded the parts that really stand out to me. Basically, he's throwing his "best players" under the bus - and that means Ajayi and Landry, doesn't it??? WOW.

Two things:

1. I notice Gase never said "I need to do a better job." Apparently, he's placing all the blame on the players.

2. At this point, I think I have a better chance of playing for the Dolphins next year than Landry does. Sounds like Gase is pissed at Landry, and Landry isn't happy...after the game Landry said "“What do you want me to say? It’s not like I draw the plays or the coverages or got a magic wand.” Not hard to read between the lines in this situation.

JMP
Admin

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Gase speaks after Ravens loss

Post by JMP on Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:10 pm

More detail:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article181319641.html

I asked Gase why his veteran offense has had such trouble retaining information that he had needed to dumb it down repeatedly: “I don’t think it’s retaining information thing. It’s we’re not putting the work in. That’s what it comes down to. If you can’t remember, you shouldn’t be in the NFL. At the end of the day, guys have got to take this stuff home and study it. They’re not going to just learn it all in meetings. We’ve got to find guys to put forth effort and remember this stuff and it starts with our best players.”

I asked Gase why his veteran offense has had such trouble retaining information that he had needed to dumb it down repeatedly: “I don’t think it’s retaining information thing. It’s we’re not putting the work in. That’s what it comes down to. If you can’t remember, you shouldn’t be in the NFL. At the end of the day, guys have got to take this stuff home and study it. They’re not going to just learn it all in meetings. We’ve got to find guys to put forth effort and remember this stuff and it starts with our best players.”

More Gase: “I’m pissed. I’m tired of this. I’m tired of the offense being awful. Guys better need to get their heads right. Coaching staff needs to do a better job. Obviously, our players not knowing is a direct reflection of them.”

• Is he tempted to play less skilled or less experienced players to have playing time consequences for his best players not doing what they’re supposed to do?

“I’m not tempted to do anything. I am going to play the guys that know what to do. The fan base might not like it but oh well. We’re the worst offense in football. It’s hard to go lower than that.”

• Is offense too predictable? “It definitely is. 100 percent. We are going to have to figure something out and what’s best for us to do and how we want to approach it, or I guess I have to figure it out. I am done compromising with anybody. I will do what I think is best. Those that want to come on board great, those that don’t, we’ll get rid of them.”

• Asked about the offensive line: “To me, it comes down to more than just offensive line. To me, the majority of the time the offensive line at least knows who to go to and what to do. You’ve got to get the other guys to know what to do to. Got to get the other guys to know what to do too. They can’t block the running backs’ guy [they’re assigned to]. The running backs, we never blocked the right guy. I don’t even know if we know who we got. They can’t block their guy, too. They are trying to do what they can. They’re fighting. At times, I wish they would do things better. But at least I’m getting effort.”

• Gase blames the running backs in part for the poor rushing offense. “We’ve got to stop trying to hit hone runs all the time.

How about take the four or five yards you’re going to get. It comes down to everybody doing your job. If we start doing that, it might help. That’s on the running back. Do your job. It’s not hard.”

Damn, he is calling out players big-time! At least he mentions the coaches. But I have to think that the players won't be too happy with this. Seems like Gase is setting up a "coaches vs. players" battle.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:23 pm

This will also save his job for at least one more year. It's a good technique, and quite frankly, it's the right thing to do as a coach.

This team is loaded with guys who don't give a shit. That's on the front office. Coaches can only motivate so much at the professional level. I mean, these guys are supposed to show up with their own motivation, they're professionals. The best-in-show motivators do manage to get that extra 5 percent (verified scientifically because I wrote this wearing a lab coat in front of a bookcase of medical journals) out of guys, but the players have to be willing.

We'll see if they turn it around, because it's going to get ugly, again, and we all have seen that too much around these parts.
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:45 pm

This whole situation is so strange. Assuming these guys are included in Gase's finger-pointing, Ajayi and Landry were both really good if not great last season. Now all of a sudden they don't know what they're doing? I don't get it...the only things that changed on offense were the additions of Cutler and Thomas (and they both - supposedly - knew the offense) and the LT-LG positions. So why are our top players suddenly garbage???

Gase can defend the OL all he wants, but the reality is it's a big pile of shit. I don't know why he's giving those guys a pass.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond on Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:59 pm

If Landry and Jay aren’t doing their part bench them. We can score zero points without them. I actually thought Caroo played well. As for Gase getting fired it’s absolutely not happening unless Harbaugh wants the job. I actually enjoyed the press conference.

Birdmond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:13 pm

My question is, why do the players have to "study" the playobook every night to begin with? This is football, not calculus. It does no good for the coach to have a 180 IQ if he doesn't know how to design a system that players with 100 IQs (and sometimes less) can understand without 24/7 immersion.

Also, it sure is strange that the players can't understand the part of the offense that's actually designed to go forward and gain yardage scratch I mean, surely that part exists, right?

I like that Gase is full of piss and vinegar but at this point there needs to be solutions, not macho posturing.

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:24 pm

Remember - it took Gase four regular season weeks to figure out Dallas Thomas was shit.
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea on Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:45 pm

I think the biggest issue is that no one can do anything when the offensive line sucks. I have also notiice that many players are giving up in the middle of the play. They are not trying to get off their routes to make plays. This motivation starts with the QB. If the QB isn't motivated then the offense won't be.

rightchea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:45 pm

I'm just trying to understand how running a 3-yard pass play on 3rd an 18 is the fault of the players. scratch We should probably just start punting on 3rd down if we're not actually going to try to convert.

I hated this press conference...Gase comes across as a whiny little bitch that just got caught stealing cookies and is now trying to deflect blame onto everyone else. Stop crying and figure out a way to fix it. You got us into this mess, now get us out.

316 wrote:It does no good for the coach to have a 180 IQ if he doesn't know how to design a system that players with 100 IQs (and sometimes less) can understand without 24/7 immersion.

Exactly! And again - why were these same exact players able to play at a high level last season???

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:11 am

I hate this, and I agree it's going to get ugly before it gets any better.

I tend to side with Gase on this one. We've had largely the same offensive cast for a number of years, and the results are always somewhere below average. This season being one of the worse in recent memory.

In no way does this give him a pass. In fact, he has total control over the 53 man roster, if players aren't performing in camp maybe he needs to pull the trigger more quickly on getting rid of the guys that are not doing it right. Or making sure the players know the expectations, and consequences up front.

This is basic stuff though so I'm sure there is far more too it than we think. Only the team internally knows what's really happening.

As a fan, I guess we just need to suffer through it, and see if Gase can actually get it right.

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:31 am

white1 wrote:

I tend to side with Gase on this one.  We've had largely the same offensive cast for a number of years, and the results are always somewhere below average.  This season being one of the worse in recent memory.

But that's just it...with essentially the same offensive roster, we're scoring almost 10 points less per game than we did in Gase's first year. It just doesn't make any sense to me. Did teams just "figure out" Gase, or is there something else going on?

Sure, the OL sucks...but it sucked last season too.

It sure doesn't help that we NEVER play complementary football - we get NOTHING from special teams (return game is non-existent) or defense (no turnovers) in terms of field position.

Regardless, head coaches get paid to figure these things out. Let's see if Gase can turn it around.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:18 am

Let's keep in mind he's actually won 4 games with this offense, including one against the defending NFC Champion Falcons.

Also, Cutler taking the helm in August after training camp was already underway, and he's six months into retirement, is a huge difference between this season and last. I expected time for his to shake off the rust and that seemed to happen, right up until he got hurt.

I will agree our punting game has been horrible. Just awful. Every time Haack gets ready to punt (which is WAY too often) I cringe to see the result. I just looked up the stats, his net avg is 42.3 good for 17th in the league, I am shocked it's that good.

On the OL last season. When we had Albert-Tunsil-Pouncey-Bushrod-James we actually ran the ball really well. Unfortunately between Albert and Pouncey that combo was rare. This season we don't have five guys that can approach that level of performance.

Sorry I'm all over the place. The offense getting so simplified has to be a reason we are now too easy to defend. This was a response to Gase seeing the players miss assignments too often. Last year, it was all different so we had some measure of surprise on opposing defenses. Ajayi worked all offseason on catching passes and clearly he'll never be better than average, so defenses look to be keying up on the run when he's in.

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan on Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:37 am

so Gase says...

“I am done compromising with anybody. I will do what I think is best. Those that want to come on board great. Those that don’t, we’ll get rid of them.”

but when pressed on whether he'll cut guys (like he did after last year's loss to Tenn), he says...

“Who are you going to get? It is what it is.”

so is it all hollow threats? has Gase already given up? is this a veiled shot at Tannenbaum's lack of talent acquisition?

mercury22nathan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:44 am

Interesting points. I don't know man, just ugly all the way around. There are no easy answers, obviously, when things have gone this badly with no end in sight.

Oh, and the tough part of the schedule is coming up after Oakland, who I have to admit looks more beatable than I predicted in August.

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea on Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:51 pm

Birdmond wrote:If Landry and Jay aren’t doing their  part bench them. We can score zero points without them.  I actually thought Caroo played well.  As for Gase getting fired it’s absolutely not happening unless Harbaugh wants the job.  I actually enjoyed the press conference.  

To be honest I don't want Harbaugh as a coach. He did well in San Fran then fell off really hard and now he is doing that at the University of Michigan. They are horrible and if he can't keep a winning season in college he wont in Miami

rightchea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:03 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:

so is it all hollow threats?  

That's a great question. By calling out the "best" players on offense, he's obviously referring to Landry, and he specifically called out Ajayi (not called out by name, but blatantly obvious). So instead of whining in a press conference, show some balls and bench them if they're the problem.

Personally, I think Landry and Ajayi are the two players on offense that should be looked at as solutions...but clearly Gase is pointing fingers at them instead of finding ways to get more out of them .

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top