What to do with Pouncey

Go down

What to do with Pouncey

Post by mercury22nathan on Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:54 pm

i know this team doesn't need another hole to fill, but...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-hyde5-pouncey-future-20180105-story.html

He [Pouncey] also makes $8 million next season – and will not cost the Dolphins anything if they release him.

i know the Phins continue to say he's the best o-linemen, but did you know he was third on the team in penalties...

Pouncey was called for six holding penalties this season (one was declined).

Pouncey had a total of three holding penalties in his three Pro Bowl seasons of 2013, 2014 and 2015. (Two in 2013, zero in 2014, one in 2015. He only played five games in 2016, so I’m not including that stat in which he had one holding penalty).

and while PFF is certainly not the ultimate authority, they ranked him 28th and 36 qualifying centers. that's bottom barrel. that means nearly 85% of the league had a center outplaying Pouncey - and i'm gonna guess most of them weren't making nearly what he was.

his biggest accomplishment this season was just showing up. yes, staying healthy for 16 games (and not practicing but once a week) was his benchmark. he's not getting any younger (or better) and the likelihood of him continuing to play a full slate of games (much less recover his old form and play well) dwindles with each passing season.

in a perfect world, i would advocate moving on from Pouncey. i gotta think that finding an upgrade over 3rd most penalized and 28 out of 36 wouldn't be that hard - but hey, this is the Dolphins. if Miami has already accepted eating the $8M, at the very least, they need to draft or sign a serious, viable backup (for when he eventually gets hurt) - and if that viable backup out performs him in training camp...let the best player start.

mercury22nathan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What to do with Pouncey

Post by JMP on Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:50 pm

merc wrote:in a perfect world, i would advocate moving on from Pouncey. i gotta think that finding an upgrade over 3rd most penalized and 28 out of 36 wouldn't be that hard - but hey, this is the Dolphins. if Miami has already accepted eating the $8M, at the very least, they need to draft or sign a serious, viable backup (for when he eventually gets hurt) - and if that viable backup out performs him in training camp...let the best player start.

Agree 1000%.

BUT...

The Dolphins think Pouncey is the best player ever. He won't get cut, and he won't have his salary reduced, and he won't have competition.

JMP
Admin

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:37 pm

Any Centers in free agency? Because for that cap hit, you could easily structure a contract to buy a younger, better center and still improve our cap structure.

I'd rather sign one in free agency then enter the draft not knowing if the right center (and a good one) falls to us at the right spot.

IMO best move is to cut ties with Pouncey. Just doesn't make sense to keep using him as plan A. Too many drawbacks to his game, cost and health.

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:05 pm

God damn it, why are we having to even discuss this? This team's entire talent-acquisition/recognition staff is just so terrible.
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic on Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:06 pm

I agree, making ANOTHER HOLE on the O-line seems counter-intuitive, but in this case, I think it could be addition by subtraction.

If the Phins could even BUY a freakin clue about drafting we would not be in this bad situation, but...

I say they keep him and go out and get a few more aging journeymen to plug some holes, but they never really FIX the problem.

Same ol Phins.

Sigh.

finfanatic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris on Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:06 am

Pouncey looked like a turnstile. Thinking that looked good, fuck that! He’s past his prime with no replacement on the roster. Every season it’s Groundhog Day in Miami.

CarsonChris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:20 am

CarsonChris wrote:Pouncey looked like a turnstile. Thinking that looked good, fuck that! He’s past his prime with no replacement on the roster. Every season it’s Groundhog Day in Miami.

That's the scary part...that the Dolphins thought he looked great. If that's how they judge linemen, then they obviously have no clue.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:03 am

If they are going to keep Pouncey, then they really need to upgrade drastically at both guard spots. At least that way we have a chance at solid interior line play.

I don't know who I'm more upset over, Pouncey or Tunsil. I'd throw a party at this point if both of them are released.

Tunsil seems to have all the talent in the world, without anything in his character that it takes to play at the level he's capable of. What a waste.

Pouncey is not only expensive, he's a continuing injury risk and playing at a level way below what you'd expect from a center at that salary. If it's me, I move on - even if I have to buy a center in free agency.

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif on Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:00 pm

I still say I like what I saw of Brendell. It looks like they at least have a possible talent there who can play and has ACTUALLY played, cough Asiata cough.
scotgif

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan on Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:19 am

JMP wrote:If that's how they judge linemen, then they obviously have no clue.

so true.

Consider this: Unless you count 2004 sixth-rounder Rex Hadnot, who started 3 ½ years for the Dolphins, Miami hasn’t found a longterm offensive line starter in the fourth, fifth, sixth or seventh rounds since the 21st century began, since before most Americans had ever heard of Barack Obama, since before Dwyane Wade arrived in South Florida, since before Larry Coker guided UM to a championship.

Dolphins’ third-day offensive line picks in the 21st century have been littered with washouts, from Shawn Draper to Brandon Winey to Tim Provost to Tony Pape to Anthony Alabi to Joe Toledo to Drew Mormino to Shawn Murphy to Donald Thomas (started parts of one season here, that bounced around for a time) to Andrew Gardner (12 starts elsewhere, none here) to Jamil Douglas.

And that doesn’t even include third-round disappointments such as Dallas Thomas, John Jerry and Billy Turner.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article196050729.html

sad. just downright sad.

mercury22nathan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:53 am

Man, that is a long list of wasted draft picks. No

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic on Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:22 am

Yep. The whole history of the Phins (POST SHULA and even then, Shula's last decade was....) can be summed up by an almost eerily bad luck in drafting.

I mean even a clan of drunken monkeys flinging poo at a draft board will EVENTUALLY hit on a good player or two given enough flings.

The Phins fling countlessly yet keep coming up with nothing but poo!

I mean GEEZE!!! Even if they used an alphabetic system for ranking they should eventually stumble upon ONE freaking O-lineman worth hanging on as a backup or something!!

Total ineptitude in something like the draft, which is nowhere near an EXACT SCIENCE, requires a special kind of stupid IMO. The odds of EVERY pick stinking this badly are fairly high, but the Phins have found a way to ENSURE their late round picks on the O-line are bums of the first measure!

At least they are batting 1.000 on something!!

Sad

finfanatic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum