What to do with Pouncey

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What to do with Pouncey

Post by mercury22nathan on Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:54 pm

i know this team doesn't need another hole to fill, but...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-hyde5-pouncey-future-20180105-story.html

He [Pouncey] also makes $8 million next season – and will not cost the Dolphins anything if they release him.

i know the Phins continue to say he's the best o-linemen, but did you know he was third on the team in penalties...

Pouncey was called for six holding penalties this season (one was declined).

Pouncey had a total of three holding penalties in his three Pro Bowl seasons of 2013, 2014 and 2015. (Two in 2013, zero in 2014, one in 2015. He only played five games in 2016, so I’m not including that stat in which he had one holding penalty).

and while PFF is certainly not the ultimate authority, they ranked him 28th and 36 qualifying centers. that's bottom barrel. that means nearly 85% of the league had a center outplaying Pouncey - and i'm gonna guess most of them weren't making nearly what he was.

his biggest accomplishment this season was just showing up. yes, staying healthy for 16 games (and not practicing but once a week) was his benchmark. he's not getting any younger (or better) and the likelihood of him continuing to play a full slate of games (much less recover his old form and play well) dwindles with each passing season.

in a perfect world, i would advocate moving on from Pouncey. i gotta think that finding an upgrade over 3rd most penalized and 28 out of 36 wouldn't be that hard - but hey, this is the Dolphins. if Miami has already accepted eating the $8M, at the very least, they need to draft or sign a serious, viable backup (for when he eventually gets hurt) - and if that viable backup out performs him in training camp...let the best player start.

mercury22nathan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What to do with Pouncey

Post by JMP on Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:50 pm

merc wrote:in a perfect world, i would advocate moving on from Pouncey. i gotta think that finding an upgrade over 3rd most penalized and 28 out of 36 wouldn't be that hard - but hey, this is the Dolphins. if Miami has already accepted eating the $8M, at the very least, they need to draft or sign a serious, viable backup (for when he eventually gets hurt) - and if that viable backup out performs him in training camp...let the best player start.

Agree 1000%.

BUT...

The Dolphins think Pouncey is the best player ever. He won't get cut, and he won't have his salary reduced, and he won't have competition.

JMP
Admin

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:37 pm

Any Centers in free agency? Because for that cap hit, you could easily structure a contract to buy a younger, better center and still improve our cap structure.

I'd rather sign one in free agency then enter the draft not knowing if the right center (and a good one) falls to us at the right spot.

IMO best move is to cut ties with Pouncey. Just doesn't make sense to keep using him as plan A. Too many drawbacks to his game, cost and health.

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:05 pm

God damn it, why are we having to even discuss this? This team's entire talent-acquisition/recognition staff is just so terrible.
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic on Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:06 pm

I agree, making ANOTHER HOLE on the O-line seems counter-intuitive, but in this case, I think it could be addition by subtraction.

If the Phins could even BUY a freakin clue about drafting we would not be in this bad situation, but...

I say they keep him and go out and get a few more aging journeymen to plug some holes, but they never really FIX the problem.

Same ol Phins.

Sigh.

finfanatic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Today at 12:06 am

Pouncey looked like a turnstile. Thinking that looked good, fuck that! He’s past his prime with no replacement on the roster. Every season it’s Groundhog Day in Miami.

CarsonChris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum