post season mock draft

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Re: post season mock draft

Post by white1 on Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:08 pm

I like that plan, and I'm hopeful on Anthony and McMillan, but neither is proven to this point.

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:06 pm

We really, REALLY need to fix the offensive line, or else we're going to be looking for another Cutler to fill in for our injured starter.
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:32 pm

I think Alonso is here only because of the retarded extension he signed. Along with McMillan, Allen {who i like very much), and Anthony. Anthony I liked when he was coming out of college. I think he has what it takes to be a player in this league. He’s got speed and he can cover. If Allen can make a huge leap this year. We could see Allen (MLB), Anthony, (WLB), McMillan (SLB). Not ideal but if we could add maybe Tremaine edmunds or Tahir Whitehead into the mix we could see a vast improvement in this unit/
Umix10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:31 pm

Degarmo wrote:We really, REALLY need to fix the offensive line, or else we're going to be looking for another Cutler to fill in for our injured starter.

I think the OL is pretty much set.

LT Tunsil
LG rookie or FA
C Pouncey
RG Larsen
RT Davis

Now, you can argue over whether or not that's a good line, but the way I see it, this is how the Phins will roll.

JMP
Admin

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:33 pm

There’s still hope for Asiata. I’m hoping that he takes a leap this year. I’m hoping Pouncey is gone. I don’t need an 9mll a year center who’s only accomplishment the last 3 years is that he played the last 16 games consecutively.

Side note: Remember Joe Berger? Just thought Fins Fans might find it interesting that he is starting in todays NFC Title game.
Umix10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea on Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:33 pm

Asiata seems like a waste of time to me. draft another OL and even replace Larsen

rightchea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris on Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:23 pm

Trade the second, 4th and 6th for Foles

CarsonChris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:30 pm

Umix10 wrote:There’s still hope for Asiata.  I’m hoping that he takes a leap this year.  I’m hoping Pouncey is gone.  I don’t need an 9mll a year center who’s only accomplishment the last 3 years is that he played the last 16 games consecutively.

Side note:  Remember Joe Berger?  Just thought Fins Fans might find it interesting that he is starting in todays NFC Title game.

The Phins think Pouncey is the greatest lineman ever. He is absolutely staying.

Asiata is what I call a "wasted pick". If he ever plays a down inthe NFL, it will be a miracle.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn on Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:17 am

My updated 2/7/18 "no trades" mock.

Needless to say, we have more glaring needs than we have picks, but this would give us a playmaker on the defensive side of the ball and should really shore up the O-line:

Round 1 Pick 11: Derwin James, SS/FS, Florida State (A)
Round 2 Pick 10: Rashaan Evans, OLB, Alabama (A)
Round 3 Pick 9: Braden Smith, OT/OG, Auburn (A)
Round 4 Pick 11: Frank Ragnow, C/OG, Arkansas (A+)
Round 4 Pick 30: Tony Brown, CB, Alabama (A+)
Round 6 Pick 9: Sean Welsh, C, Iowa (A+)
Round 7 Pick 5: Austin Roberts, TE, UCLA (A+)
Round 7 Pick 11: Dimitri Flowers, FB, Oklahoma (A+)

HalCHorn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:42 am

I'd love to get Derwin James, but will the Dolphins use a first on a position they don't need? Very nice, Hal - love it!

BUT...

I'm on board with BPA, and James could very well be the best player on the board, but with a shit-ton of $$ tied up in two safeties already, would the Dolphins take another one that high? I really don't think they would.

I HATE that we have two high-priced strong safeties and no free safety, but that's what the Phins want. I could maybe see a late-round safety, but I just can't see them going for one early, not as long as Jones and McDonald are making a fortune.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:19 pm

Good point on the safety position, although I do agree I like what I've read on James.

That, and we need to take a defensive end somewhere. We are still thin, old and lackluster at that position. Build the trenches.

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:14 pm

JMP wrote:
Degarmo wrote:We really, REALLY need to fix the offensive line, or else we're going to be looking for another Cutler to fill in for our injured starter.

LT Tunsil
LG rookie or FA
C Pouncey
RG Larsen
RT Davis

Now, you can argue over whether or not that's a good line, but the way I see it, this is how the Phins will roll.  

Here's how that argument would go:

Deg: Wow, that's a real load of shit.

JMP: I agree, as far as shit goes, that's an impressive load.

Deg: How about we break into this bottle of Bushmills and pop open some beers?

JMP: Done.
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:16 pm

We need lock-down corners if we're going to continue the two strong safety defense. Strong safeties are pretty much garbage when it comes to back-of-the-field zone like Cover 1, 2, 3, or man-over, man-under, etc.
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:20 pm

Degarmo wrote:
JMP wrote:

LT Tunsil
LG rookie or FA
C Pouncey
RG Larsen
RT Davis

Here's how that argument would go:

Deg:  Wow, that's a real load of shit.

JMP:  I agree, as far as shit goes, that's an impressive load.

Deg:  How about we break into this bottle of Bushmills and pop open some beers?

JMP:  Done.

Yeah, that works for me! cheers

The only problem is...when we sober up, the Phins OL will still be shit.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:26 pm

Don't worry, there's always more booze.
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:48 pm

Degarmo wrote:We need lock-down corners if we're going to continue the two strong safety defense.  Strong safeties are pretty much garbage when it comes to back-of-the-field zone like Cover 1, 2, 3, or man-over, man-under, etc.

Agreed.

And that makes me wonder...just what the hell are the Dolphins going to do in the draft??? Looking at it position by position:

QB - Tannehill is not going anywhere, and I think Gase loves Fales and Doughty. My expectation: not drafting a QB

RB - My guess is Gase will want Williams back, so we'll roll with Drake and Williams again. My expectation: slim chance of drafting a RB

WR - I'm working on the assumption that Landry will be on a new team soon after free agency begins. But, I think the Phins feel comfortable enough with Stills, Parker and Grant as their top 3. I think that's a crap group, but my guess is the Phins love it. My expectation: I think a WR will be taken at some point...likely a slot receiver in the mid rounds.

TE - this is an obvious need. I think the Phins will keep Derby, Gray and Duarte, and look to sign Jimmy Graham as a FA. My expectation: if Graham isn't signed, we'll draft a TE somewhere in rounds 2-5; if Graham is signed, not drafting a TE.

OL - I think the Phins love the OL they have, but IMO Bushrod will retire. The Phins will slide Larsen over to RG, replace James with Davis, and add a LG in FA or the draft. My expectation: drafting a guard is very likely

DL - I think we are set at DT. I also think the Phins love their DE situation, with youngsters Harris and Malveaux pairing with Wake and Branch. I doubt Hayes is re-signed. DE is very weak IMO, but it is what it is. My expectation: we'll probably draft a DE at some point, but hard for me to see them taking one early.

LB - the weakest position on defense, by far. But, the Phins love Alonso and they are going to hand the MLB position to McMillan. I think they love Stephone Anthony. Chase Allen seems like he can play, at least as a backup. My expectation: I would go all out for a LB, but I'm not sure the Phins care about upgrading the position. I'm going to say that there's a slim chance of drafting a LB high, but one will likely be added late in the draft.

S - As I've said, the Dolphins have their two safeties, for better or worse. They have no interest in adding a free safety, and they have shown zero interest in using a safety as a LB. My expectation: slim chance of drafting a S...maybe late in the draft

CB - The Phins love their top 4 corners - Howard, Tankesley, Lippett and McCain. I'd say it's a decent group, at best. My expectation: slim chance of drafting a CB...maybe late in the draft.

So...looking at my expectations, guard would seem to be an obvious choice in the first couple of rounds. Beyond that, I have no idea what they'll do because, IMHO, I believe the Phins see this roster as mostly set. I do think they'll continue to plug holes with low level free agents as needed. With all that in mind, I expect the Phins to try to move up in the draft a couple of times to target specific players. I think they'll probably end up with just a few picks (say, 4), and they may even trade a 2019 pick or two.

Obviously, this is not at all what I would do...I think the roster is garbage and the key to improving is building through the draft. But I just think, if you listen to the way the staff talked throughout the season, that they believe the Dolphins are a great team and the coaching changes they've made will be good enough to improve the team's record. Personally, I think they're delusional and this team is on the brink of spiraling into real bottom-dwelling status.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:43 am

Ignoring center again will be a colossal mistake.
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:58 am

How bad was the talent level on this team last season? According to PFR, nobody on the roster had an AV higher than 9, and Rashad Jones was the only player that high. Only four other players had an AV of 7, and everyone else was 6 or worse. For comparison purposes, an AV of 7 = an average season. The league's best players have an AV of around 15 or higher.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/mia/2017_roster.htm

The 0-16 Browns had a player with an AV of 9, another with 7, and the rest 6 or below. So this tells me the Fins are closer to that level than they are to being a playoff team.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cle/2017_roster.htm

My point is, the Fins really do need help everywhere. Literally. There cannot be any of this "happy with what we have" talk if they expect to have a winning record again in the next decade.

Tom Brady BTW had an AV of 19, same as Todd Gurley. Somehow Melvin Ingram led the league at 21 Shocked Shocked Shocked

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:05 am

DolFan 316 wrote:

My point is, the Fins really do need help everywhere. Literally. There cannot be any of this "happy with what we have" talk if they expect to have a winning record again in the next decade.

I agree 1000%.  But every time I hear Gase and Tannenbaum talk, they seem to believe the team is stacked with All Pros and they'd be just fine if Ajayi would listen to the coaches and Landry would run the correct routes.  These are guys who believe Pouncey just had his best season, who think Bushrod is a top guard, who are 100% happy with Harris having just 19 tackles and 2 sacks, who believe Alonso is the best thing since sliced bread, and who honestly believe that Jay Cutler was above criticism.  And yes, these are the same guys who want us to believe that they knew Drake was going to be a good back despite barely using him at all for 1 1/2 seasons.  Hell, these are the same guys who thought Dallas Thomas was starting-caliber!!  I wouldn't trust these guys to know the difference between shit and Shinola, as the old saying goes.  It's scary how out of touch these clowns are.

And...I just love how Landry supposedly doesn't run the correct routes, yet has more catches than anyone in the history of the NFL over his first 4 seasons.  More BS to try to make the team look better when Landry walks, as they did when Ajayi was traded.

Last edited by JMP on Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:01 am

So...looking at my expectations, guard would seem to be an obvious choice in the first couple of rounds. Beyond that, I have no idea what they'll do because, IMHO, I believe the Phins see this roster as mostly set.

I would actually be just fine with a guard, even in the first round. As long as he's really good and lives up to his draft status. In fact, I read an early mock draft somewhere that had us taking a guard at #11. The particular author was really high on the selection too, making the argument that he was worth the pick.

Again, if the guard is clearly a blue-chip dominator in both run blocking and pass blocking, I'd be pleased with the selection.

We can't have anymore picks like Harris (although I believe with his work ethic he will eventually pan out, he won't be a bust), DeVante Parker, JuWaun James - guys selected in the first that never amount to anything, or at the very least have so little impact in their first couple of years.

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:14 am

white1 wrote:

I would actually be just fine with a guard, even in the first round.  As long as he's really good and lives up to his draft status.  In fact, I read an early mock draft somewhere that had us taking a guard at #11.  The particular author was really high on the selection too, making the argument that he was worth the pick.  

Again, if the guard is clearly a blue-chip dominator in both run blocking and pass blocking, I'd be pleased with the selection.  

I usually hate taking OL that high, but we haven't had a good guard in ages so I'd definitely be OK with Quenton Nelson at 11. He looks like a stud.

white1 wrote:We can't have anymore picks like Harris (although I believe with his work ethic he will eventually pan out, he won't be a bust), DeVante Parker, JuWaun James - guys selected in the first that never amount to anything, or at the very least have so little impact in their first couple of years.

Agree - we need IMPACT players in the first. Can't keep throwing away high picks on guys that are average or below starters.

But I don't share your optimism for Harris. To me, he's too slow. He can hopefully improve, but I don't think he'll ever be dominant.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:24 am

But I don't share your optimism for Harris. To me, he's too slow. He can hopefully improve, but I don't think he'll ever be dominant.

Has to be technique. No way he can be so fast on the first step with the pads off, then disappear once full contact starts in camp. If he works hard at it, he will get it.

From his scouting report, he does work hard, and takes his football career very seriously. I think he will get there.

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:04 am

white1 wrote:

Has to be technique.  No way he can be so fast on the first step with the pads off, then disappear once full contact starts in camp.  If he works hard at it, he will get it.  

From his scouting report, he does work hard, and takes his football career very seriously.  I think he will get there.

I think he's got a high motor, which is a plus, but it just seems too easy for him to get swallowed up by O-linemen. He really has no pass rush moves and he's too slow and weak to get off blocks. To me, he really doesn't have a very high ceiling. Maybe he can get stronger and improve technique a bit, but I just don't see a top DE when I look at him.

Like I said during the season, I think he'd be much better playing on the left side - where Wake currently plays. On the left, Harris would generally face lesser-quality linemen (right tackles as opposed to left tackles, who are generally not as athletic and simply not as good) and have more of a chance to win one-on-one. But again, I think his potential is limited. Let's see what the new DL coach can do with him...hopefully he proves me wrong.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn on Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:19 pm

Degarmo wrote:Ignoring center again will be a colossal mistake.

Especially this year. Cole, Price, Ragnow, Clapp, Walsh, Daniels....all except Walsh are expected to be able to play OG (or in Cole's case, OT) as well and all look like potential starters. It's a much better year for the position than last year.

HalCHorn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:38 pm

HalCHorn wrote:
Degarmo wrote:Ignoring center again will be a colossal mistake.

Especially this year.  Cole, Price, Ragnow, Clapp, Walsh, Daniels....all except Walsh are expected to be able to play OG (or in Cole's case, OT) as well and all look like potential starters.  It's a much better year for the position than last year.

I am in full agreement with your statement Smile
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next