New RB coach, maybe

Go down

New RB coach, maybe

Post by mercury22nathan on Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:52 am

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article194294969.html

the pertinent facts...

...running back coach Danny Barrett has been fired...the team expects to soon interview former Denver Broncos running backs coach Eric Studesville...

Studesville’s availability is what moved Dolphins coach Adam Gase to consider releasing Barrett because he wants a coach that could upgrade the staff.

Studesville, however, became available last week when was fired in Denver by head coach Vance Joseph.

If Studesville also joins Gase it will be a reunion. The two started working together in Denver...

Studesville, 50, has worked in the NFL since 1997. He worked for the Chicago Bears, New York Giants, Buffalo Bills, and Denver Broncos. He has been a running backs coach throughout his NFL tenure and also served as Denver’s run-game coordinator.

i don't know, i guess its an upgrade?

mercury22nathan

Posts : 693
Join date : 2015-04-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New RB coach, maybe

Post by JMP on Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:13 am

Hiring Studesville would be a good move, even if he is another Gase crony. Studesville has a ton of experience and knows how to use a running game...something Gase doesn't handle very well.

Hopefully we can give Studesville a better group of RBs to work with. I'd let Damien Williams walk, and then draft a RB to compete/split time with Drake. Sony Michel is #1 on my want list.

JMP
Admin

Posts : 4537
Join date : 2015-04-07
Age : 46

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: New RB coach, maybe

Post by white1 on Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:20 am

Michel is a beast.

I guess I'm okay with the move, not a big deal other way. One point though. Isn't RB the one position that's actually produced for us the last two years? Why don't we fire the TE coach, or the WR coach for that matter?

Just kind of odd. Of all the coaches on staff, the RB coach seems to have been doing the best work.

Oh well.

white1

Posts : 1629
Join date : 2015-04-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New RB coach, maybe

Post by JMP on Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:57 am

white1 wrote:Michel is a beast.  

I guess I'm okay with the move, not a big deal other way.  One point though.  Isn't RB the one position that's actually produced for us the last two years? Why don't we fire the TE coach, or the WR coach for that matter?

Just kind of odd.  Of all the coaches on staff, the RB coach seems to have been doing the best work.

Oh well.

I think the old RB coach was fired primarily because Studesville became available, and Gase and Studesville are friends.

Plus, I think our RBs could be doing much better. Ajayi supposedly didn't know what he was doing, Drake was a complete non-factor for a year and a half, Williams has been mediocre, and Perry showed nothing. And under Gase, the running back blocking and receiving have been inconsistent (to put it mildly) - Studesville would probably help in those areas.

But yes, the WR and TE coaches have both been underwhelming.

JMP
Admin

Posts : 4537
Join date : 2015-04-07
Age : 46

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: New RB coach, maybe

Post by white1 on Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:05 am

Good points.

white1

Posts : 1629
Join date : 2015-04-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New RB coach, maybe

Post by JMP on Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:11 am

BTW - a lot of the RB issues I mentioned are also impacted by poor OL play. The amount of runs for loss/no gain in this offense is staggering. I think most of that is on the OL, but the RBs also have to learn how to make their own yards and take advantage of any space that opens.

JMP
Admin

Posts : 4537
Join date : 2015-04-07
Age : 46

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: New RB coach, maybe

Post by JMP on Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:46 am

For what it's worth:

In 2017, the Broncos got crappy QB play and finished #12 in the NFL with 1852 rushing yards (at 4.1 per carry, which was tied for 5th in the league). Denver averaged 28.6 rushing attempte per game.

In 2017, the Dolphins got crappy QB play and finished #29 in the NFL with 1388 rushing yards (at 3.9 per carry, which was tied for 7th in the league). Miami averaged 22.5 rushing attempts per game.

I don't know how much credit Studesville gets for Denver's running game, but regardless, the Phins need to get MUCH better. Like I said, I think a big part of it is that Gase doesn't really know what to do with the running game.

JMP
Admin

Posts : 4537
Join date : 2015-04-07
Age : 46

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: New RB coach, maybe

Post by scotgif on Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:53 am

JMP wrote:
I don't know how much credit Studesville gets for Denver's running game, but regardless, the Phins need to get MUCH better.  Like I said, I think a big part of it is that Gase doesn't really know what to do with the running game.
It almost seemed like we would start out having some decent success at running early and when the inevitable scoreboard deficit took place, bam, the running game was abandoned. I can't tell you how many times I was frustrated that say, Drake or even Ajayi would average around 5 yds per carry in the first half and then would get MAYBE 3-4 carries the remainder. He has no clue how to establish the run and let it compliment the pass. And, the disappointing thing about that is that one of  gase's boy toy cutler's supposed best attributes is his play-action ability.
avatar
scotgif

Posts : 351
Join date : 2015-04-08
Location : Sunrise, FL.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New RB coach, maybe

Post by JMP on Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:59 am

scotgif wrote:
JMP wrote:
I don't know how much credit Studesville gets for Denver's running game, but regardless, the Phins need to get MUCH better.  Like I said, I think a big part of it is that Gase doesn't really know what to do with the running game.
It almost seemed like we would start out having some decent success at running early and when the inevitable scoreboard deficit took place, bam, the running game was abandoned. I can't tell you how many times I was frustrated that say, Drake or even Ajayi would average around 5 yds per carry in the first half and then would get MAYBE 3-4 carries the remainder. He has no clue how to establish the run and let it compliment the pass. And, the disappointing thing about that is that one of  gase's boy toy cutler's supposed best attributes is his play-action ability.

Exactly. Really frustrating to watch Gase purposely make the offense one-dimensional.

JMP
Admin

Posts : 4537
Join date : 2015-04-07
Age : 46

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: New RB coach, maybe

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum