The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landry traded to Browns for 4th in '18 + 7th in '19

+9
Degarmo
white1
finfanatic
Umix10
mercury22nathan
HalCHorn
scotgif
DolFan 316
rightchea
13 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Landry traded to Browns for 4th in '18 + 7th in '19 Empty Landry traded to Browns for 4th in '18 + 7th in '19

Post by Umix10 Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:43 pm

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article194920564.html

Could this be the writing on the wall.  Can this regime manage to bumble anything else?
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Landry traded to Browns for 4th in '18 + 7th in '19 Empty Re: Landry traded to Browns for 4th in '18 + 7th in '19

Post by JMP Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:57 pm

My take on this article:

The Dolphins are making Landry look like a piece of shit so the fans won't care when he signs with another team.

Low class move by the Dolphins. Say what you want about Landry's value, but he's been this team's entire offense for 4 years and now they want to paint him as some can't-do-anything-right loser? It's a bunch of crap.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Landry traded to Browns for 4th in '18 + 7th in '19 Empty Re: Landry traded to Browns for 4th in '18 + 7th in '19

Post by rightchea Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:23 pm

This is the worst move IMO. Landry might be a slot WR but at the same time he is the most consistent of the WR next to Stills. Parker isn't reliable enough to be a full time starter.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:45 pm

Right or wrong, the Dolphins ENTIRE offense goes through Landry and he has caught more passes in his first 4 years than any receiver in the history of the NFL. The Dolphins are in for a rude awkening if they think they can easily replace him. They should have extended his contract last year...could have gotten him at a cheaper price and kept him happy.

My guess: Landry signs with the Jets so he can be near Odell - and make the Phins look bad twice a year.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:00 pm

you mean the Giants and that would be an incredible duo.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:13 pm

rightchea wrote:you mean the Giants and that would be an incredible duo.

Nah, the Giants don't need him....they have a strong young receiving corps and will have to pay Odell a fortune this offseason. On the Jets, he could be close to Odell and they could fight for New York endorsement $$$!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:38 pm

We all know how this ends. Landry signs with the Pats and is a big part of them going 19-0 and threepeating next season. It cannot go any other way.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:20 am

Dolphins shooting themselves in the foot again...

Bilbo [Landry's agent] wondered if criticism of Landry raised by Armando Salguero in a Miami Herald column this week might have come from the Dolphins as a way to gain leverage in negotiations.

Bilbo, who hasn’t said anything publicly about the Landry negotiations until this point, said “when there’s an open line of communication with the team, you dealt directly with them versus going to the media but when you read an article with these types of statements you have to come to address them.

“This is a leverage thing — someone trying to gain leverage by

devaluing him to the rest of the NFL. I’m not going to stand for that. If these [criticisms] were coming from the Dolphins they were unfair.”

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article195079339.html

so let me get this right. last year, the Phins were all about "keeping their own" and did unnecessary, over-paid extensions of Alonso and TJ McDonald and resigned guys like Branch and Stills - and now all of sudden when it comes to the cornerstone of the offense they wanna get cheap? what the hell?!

the market is what the market is.

it’s believed that Landry is seeking a contract in the range of the new deal recently signed by Green Bay’s DeVante Adams, which is four years and $58 million with $32 million guaranteed.

that's a $14.5M average. look at Adams numbers and see how they compare to Landry.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:41 am

The Dolphins have mishandled this situation every step of the way. He should have been extended before the 2017 season. And if the team didn't want to keep him, they should have traded him at the deadline. Now, the only options are putting the franchise tag on him (and tying up $16+ million), or letting him walk and hoping for a decent compensatory pick in 2019.

As merc pointed out, the Phins go out of their way to throw money at players that don't deserve it (hell, they extended McDonald's contract before he even played a down!!), but they play hardball with the best player on the team. There's just no rhyme or reason to anything this team does.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:48 am

And this isn't about how good or bad Landry is relative to the rest of the league...it's about what he means to the Dolphins. He is literally their entire offense. If he's not on the team, who is Tannehill's go-to guy? Where are his 112 catches and 9 TDs coming from next season? This team simply isn't good enough to let its best player walk.

All we seem to do is create holes year after year, and struggle to fill them. We're on our third starting RB since Miller was let go, and we're still trying to find a DE to replace Vernon and a TE to replace Clay. Hell, we're still looking for a MLB to replace Karlos Dansby after how many years??? It's pathetic.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:53 am

Totally agree.

This team is just embarrassing to watch. Looking at the laundry list of needs on this roster, how in the world do you reach a decision to let your best receiver - and the one with the best chemistry with Tannehill - walk out the door?

So yes, that would be YET ANOTHER need to fill this offseason, with several huge, looming problems hanging over our roster.

Seeing how this decision plays out will be very telling regarding the current regime. It's not off to a good start, with the team trying to trash Landry and his agent pointing that fact out.

We keep letting talented players walk out the door, for one reason or another, and we bring in guys who aren't half as good. That's not a recipe for success.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:48 pm

I like this write up from Hyde on the Landry extension, and it speaks to exactly how I'm feeling about our front office right now.

Number 1, figure out how to get better on acquiring and retaining talent. Because our roster sucks. While I agree that OT, DE, CB and QB are key positions ahead of our receivers, we have not done the right things to find those cornerstones, and Stills is one of the higher paid players on the team. So what's your point?

Number 2, don't try and embarrass a popular, talented player like Landry. Because you have zero credibility and you're only making yourselves look worse. You think Ross isn't paying attention to this? Ask McAdoo how that benching of Eli Manning went for him. He's in the unemployment line if you want to talk in person.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/dave-hyde-blog/fl-sp-hyde5-landry-agent-20180118-story.html

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:01 pm

Typical dumbassery by the Phins management. For every good move they make they make several sh1tty deals and occasionally make move so dumb it is akin to having a vid posted of themselves effing a goat!

Like making Suh the highest paid D-linemen. What dividends that has paid!

I am surprised Ross hasn't jetted somewhere to meet Jon Gruden and offer him the GM and HC jobs for the Phins. Without firing the present employees at those positions of course!

Sad
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:06 am

I think that Ross has finally figured out that it not about the highest paid or celebrity coach and also he wasn't going to do the same thing that he did to Philbin or Sparano.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:00 pm

I hope you are right, RC.

Be a shame to lose Landry, but you know they do have Caroo who is ready to EXPLODE onto the football scene, right?

Right?

Shocked
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:55 pm

You know, the more I think about it...the more I want Landry on this team. We have a team full of PUSSIES...the ONLY player on offense that plays balls out every game, every down is Landry. Tannenbaum screwed the pooch by not signing him at a discount last season...now, we either pay through the nose or let him walk.

Yeah, I'm drunk right now...but I want football players on this team, not pussies. Sign Landry!!!!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:57 am

You know, the more I think about it...the more I want Landry on this team. We have a team full of PUSSIES...the ONLY player on offense that plays balls out every game, every down is Landry.

I tend to agree here. Just look at the money we have WASTED on players in the recent past. Now we're pinching pennies?

I think his agent had an excellent point also. What does our offense look like without Landry? How do we replace the production he gives? With our front office, it's worse than a coin flip that we will replace him with a far lesser player.

This isn't the time to be all careful with the cap, considering his value to the team. Pay the man. Look for cap savings elsewhere.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:57 am

Yeah, they really screwed up last year by not signing him for a good guarantee and a team-friendly 11 mil per-deal. Now, they will need to pony up somewhere in the 14 mil range. That is top 5 in league money. Landry is not in the status. He thinks he is, but his production is not of an elite Alpha dog WR, (Jones, Brown, Green, ODB,etc). He is in that next tier.

However, with all the other holes on the team, we need to sign him. I just have zero confidence in this FO replacing his production AND adding the pieces we lack in one offseason.

Yep, tannenbaum, grier and gase really effed up. Now, you let him walk and maybe receive a 2nd comp pick or overpay for his services.
scotgif
scotgif

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:50 pm

scotgif wrote:
Yep, tannenbaum, grier and gase really effed up.

Epitaph in 2 years' time for this "era".

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:43 pm

The real issue is that we can't find guys with the right combination of Talent, Temperament, and Love of the game.

Read Salguero's article. I don't agree with all of it but he's pretty on point for the most part

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article195971169.html
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:10 am

Umix10 wrote:The real issue is that we can't find guys with the right combination of Talent, Temperament, and Love of the game.

Read Salguero's article. I don't agree with all of it but he's pretty on point for the most part

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article195971169.html

That's a really good article...puts things in perspective.

This is the part that stands out to me:

Armando wrote:So the same team that believed in Jay Cutler, believed in Matt Moore, believed in Julius Thomas, believed in Jordan Cameron before that, believed in Dallas Thomas, believed in Billy Turner, believed in Lawrence Timmons, believed Koa Misi could stay healthy, believed in Byron Maxwell, believed in Mario Williams, believed Laremy Tunsil was a future Hall of Famer, believed in Sam Young, then cut Sam Young, then signed Sam Young, then found out Sam Young’s not bad (talk about being all over the place), wants you to believe that what they believe is right.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article195971169.html#storylink=cpy

And breaking the bank for Alonso when there was no need to give him a big contract, or extending McDonald while he was suspended and before he even took a snap for the Phins, or the Branch extension.

All of this stuff is downright SCARY...it shows that the people running this team and making the decisions really don't know what the hell they're doing. It's mind-boggling that they could get so many things wrong. The entire offseason last year was a total disaster...everything they did was wrong. And to Armando's point, how am I supposed to have any faith at all that they're going to get it right this offseason?

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:19 am

Here is one of the more sobering quotes IMO.

Bill Parcells once explained to me how team-building is way more than simply collecting the most talent. And, despite his failures in Miami, he was absolutely right about this.

If it was just about acquiring talent, then the value-based approach this team is taking might actually work. Unfortunately, it's much more than that.

Where do you spend big and where do you save? What kind of scheme are you running, and where does it make sense to invest in blue chip players?

It's complicated. And I'm more and more convinced we have no clue how to approach team building. We just look to "plug holes" and "get better" each offseason. That's a road to nowhere. That's not building a team, it's treading water and hoping to luck into the playoffs.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:22 am

i read that article as well. if true (and you can't argue with the facts), then everyday that Tannenbaum and crew aren't shown the door is just another day lost. Ross must've seen what he did to the Jets - and how he is doing the same thing in Miami. what makes him think things will be different this time around.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:40 am

Alonso? I agree but I can actually understand the idea. We were strapped for talent at LB. We didn’t have 1 LB who could play. He had decent tackles and got paid for 1 game saving pick 6. I don’t think he is a MLB but we really had no choice. Years of neglecting the position but us in a bad spot. Funny how the two most key positions on any team QB/LB have been so neglected. The part I don’t agree with is that you gave him the money because what he did in the middle. Not WLB!!!!! He got paid like a pro bowler. WTF!!!! McMillan IMHO will be a pro bowler. He’s got what it takes. I’ve seen some really good things in Anthony as well. Those two could be our best defensive players. They both have prototypical size but they also have speed to cover. If they get Edmunds or Smith this could be a very formidable LB corps for years to come
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:31 am

Umix10 wrote:Alonso?  I agree but I can actually understand the idea.  We were strapped for talent at LB.  We didn’t have 1 LB who could play.  He had decent tackles and got paid for 1 game saving pick 6.  I don’t think he is a MLB but we really had no choice.  Years of neglecting the position but us in a bad spot.  Funny how the two most key positions on any team QB/LB have been so neglected.  The part I don’t agree with is that you gave him the money because what he did in the middle.  Not WLB!!!!!  He got paid like a pro bowler.  WTF!!!!   McMillan IMHO will be a pro bowler.  He’s got what it takes.  I’ve seen some really good things in Anthony as well.  Those two could be our best defensive players.  They both have prototypical size but they also have speed to cover.  If they get Edmunds or Smith this could be a very formidable LB corps for years to come

The thing is, Alonso wasn't an unrestricted FA...he was restricted. We could have signed him at the second-round tender of $2.746 million for a year, and then made a decision. There was absolutely no reason to sign him to a long-term contract that included $18.5 million guaranteed. It was just stupid. Just like extending McDonald before he even played a down was stupid. But you're right...it's also stupid to pay Alonso for what he did at MLB and then move him to another position.

As for McMillan, we'll see. He was never good in coverage at Ohio State, and I doubt a knee injury will help in that area, but he should be stout against the run. I see him as a decent but not great player...not a Pro Bowl talent IMO.

Stephone Anthony looks like a JAG to me...not a bad player, but nothing special. Chase Allen looks like he can play - not sure if he's a starter due to his limited athleticism, but he finds the ball well and is a sure tackler. If nothing else, he's a quality special teamer and backup LB. After that...nothing worth mentioning at LB.

So, we need at least one starting LB (preferably two) and quality depth at the position. And that includes a LB that can take over for Alonso in 2019 when we can get out of that awful contract.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next