The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Dolphins coaches

+3
white1
rightchea
JMP
7 posters

Go down

New Dolphins coaches  Empty New Dolphins coaches

Post by JMP Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:13 pm

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-rb-dl-coaches-20180117-story.html

The Miami Dolphins are expected to hire Detroit Lions defensive line coach Kris Kocurek, replacing defensive line coach Terrell Williams, and Denver Broncos running backs coach Eric Studesville, who replaces Danny Barrett.

Kocurek joins the Dolphins after spending the previous nine seasons with the Lions, where he coached Dolphins defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh for his first five NFL seasons.

Kocurek, 39, will have to improve a defensive line that helped Miami rank 14th against the run (110.5 yards per game), but produced just 25.5 sacks among the team’s 30 sacks.

As for Studesville, the 50-year old has spent the last eight seasons with Denver serving as running backs coach (2010-16) and assistant head coach/running backs coach (2017) with a brief stint as interim head coach (2010).

Studesville was in Denver with Dolphins coach Adam Gase when Gase served as the Broncos wide receivers coach (2010), quarterbacks coach (2011-12) and offensive coordinator (2013-14).

Studesville, an NFL coach since 1997, has also served as running backs coach for Buffalo (2004-09), the New York Giants (2001-03) and Chicago (1997-2000).

The Dolphins’ coaching staff has undergone a sizeable change in the offseason with changes made or expected to be completed at offensive coordinator (Dowell Loggains), running backs (Studesville), defensive line (Kocurek), offensive line (Jeremiah Washburn) and secondary (vacant).

Studesville should be a good hire.  I find it interesting that the article says that Gase wants to run a two-back system.  In Miami the past two years, he hasn't shown that at all.  Anyway, hopefully a new RB coach will be able to teach Gase how to use a running game.

Kocurek has done some good things in Detroit overall, but their D hasn't been very good the past few years.  I guess it's an upgrade, but he's going to need some pass rushers if he's going to be successful here.  Like the Dolphins, the 2017 Lions only had one legit pass rusher and struggled to get consistent pressure and sacks...so unless we upgrade the talent he's going to have a tough job ahead of him.

I'm hearing that the Phins may hire Kris Richard as the DB coach - he was the Seahawks' defensive coordinator the past few years.  Hopefully he can teach our DBs how to get an INT every now and then.

Overall, these are solid moves.  I don't think it's going to make too much difference because we still lack talent and still have garbage schemes, but at least Gase is doing something to try to save his job.  If he tanks again next season with Tannehill and a new coaching staff, there will be no more excuses.

Last edited by JMP on Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

New Dolphins coaches  Empty Re: New Dolphins coaches

Post by rightchea Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:22 pm

Sounds like the purge of Philbin's coaches are going well and I feel that Gase shouldn't have no excuse anymore on why his coaching staff is doing so bad. Lets hope that their drafting get better.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:59 am

Good moves on the surface and I would love to see Richards hired as well. But I agree with JMP.

If year 3 does not go well, I will be very interested to see Ross response. Will he give the Tannenbaum era a full five years? Or decide that "progress" can't come all in 1-2 seasons, and dump the regime in favor of a new football boss, GM and coach?

This should depend on what the team looks like next year. Beyond wins and losses, were we competitive? Do problems from last year (poor coverage, low number of sacks, can't run the ball) continue without solutions? Do we continue to be a highly penalized, undisciplined team?
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:26 am

white1 wrote:
This should depend on what the team looks like next year.  Beyond wins and losses, were we competitive? Do problems from last year (poor coverage, low number of sacks, can't run the ball) continue without solutions? Do we continue to be a highly penalized, undisciplined team?

Yep, but wins and losses has to be the be-all, end-all. Seeing teams like the Jags and Rams make tremendous jumps in one year really puts things in perspective and shows that, if you have the right people in charge, winning can be accomplished quickly. This Miami team doesn't need to win anything on paper...they need to win actual games.

2017 was Gase's "pass" year. Tannehill getting injured gave him that free pass (despite the fact that he foolishly threw $10 million at Cutler to save the season). But 2018 - with the staff he supposedly always wanted and (hopefully) a healthy Tannehill - is the year when Gase has to take a big step forward. No more winning games with miracle comebacks (2016) or flat-out playing like garbage week after week (2017). All the excuses are gone...win, or tear it all down. Hopefully Ross feels the same way, because I am sick and tired of fostering mediocrity for years and waiting for a legit contender to be built while a clueless head coach stumbles and bumbles around.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:44 pm

The Jags did it for years and now they finally got it right. Yeah, they need a better QB but at the same time they are in the Playoffs and playing for a chance to go to the Superbowl. Until Miami finds the right front office Miami will be contenders but until then Miami is just hoping

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:51 pm

This team has a host of problems.

I was hopeful Gase could fix many of them, but it seems even he is incapable of miracles.

This is going to be a very interesting year for the Phins.

Another skid off the rails and Gase might not make it to season's end IMHO.

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:00 am

Well, it looks like he replaced a lot of his coaching staff that I guess they didn't allow him to get rid of. Let us see how this year goes. I be more upset that Landry is gone than anything.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:08 pm

rightchea wrote:. . .they didn't allow him to get rid of. . .

That part right there is the part that underlines how broken the team is. The front office should never have a hand in who the head coach HAS to keep as his staff.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:57 pm

Methinks, DG has nailed it.

I am hoping Gase is slowly getting more control, but....I am not SURE that will be a good thing.

If I was FORCED to bet, I would wager that this blows up big time and leaves poo all over Ross' face.

But Ross is used to getting poo-faced when it comes to the Dolphins.

Rolling Eyes
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:39 pm

Agreed FF, Ross has more shit on his face than Ed Norton.

Now THAT's an old damn reference Smile

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:37 pm

Degarmo wrote:Agreed FF, Ross has more shit on his face than Ed Norton.

Hell yeah!! This board needs more Honeymooners references!! One of the all-time classics!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:34 pm

JMP wrote:

Hell yeah!!  This board needs more Honeymooners references!!  One of the all-time classics!

How quickly would they "nope" out of that show nowadays citing domestic violence and other bullshit?

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:16 pm

Degarmo wrote:
JMP wrote:

Hell yeah!!  This board needs more Honeymooners references!!  One of the all-time classics!

How quickly would they "nope" out of that show nowadays citing domestic violence and other  bullshit?

Forget about it...there's no way it would be allowed on the air. I'm surprised they even show the reruns.

Even more surprising is that they still show All In the Family reruns...talk about politically incorrect! Archie Bunker is one of the great characters of all time.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:03 pm

One of these days, pow, right in the kisser! I’m all about being non pc. PC has ruined late night television and the fact it’s all gone one sided! Coaches smoaches it’s all about the QB. I predict he’s out by game 6.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:37 am

Phins hired Tony Oden as their new DB coach, formerly of the Lions.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article197394919.html

Oden, 44, replaces Lou Anarumo, who was fired by Gase a few weeks back.

His job: Develop emerging players such as Xavien Howard and Cordrea Tankersley and help fix the communication and coverage issues that plagued the Dolphins for much of the 2017 season.

Oden has coached in the league since 2004, with stops in Houston, New Orleans, Jacksonville and Tampa.

Seems like a good coach, though I admittedly don't know much about him. Detroit's secondary was pretty good, so that's a plus. Bottom line is we need to force more turnovers in the secondary - if Oden can help with that, I'm all for it.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:26 am

So Miami add three coaches;

Eric Studeville - Running back coach
Kris Kocurek - DL coach
Tony Oden - DB coach

lets not forget the other guys that Gase hired under him as well. This is like a complete overhaul of the coaching staff that Miami needed. Can we see an overhaul of the scouting team next.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:15 am

It's hard for me to get pumped up about these new coaching hires. I think we missed a huge opportunity to upgrade on the defensive side of the ball. To wit:
- When Beccher was passed over for the AZ head coaching job in favor of Wilks, the Cardinals very much wanted to keep him. He's led 3 consecutive seasons of top 10 defenses. Instead, he opted to leave the team and joined the Giants as Shurmur's new defensive coordinator. A veteran coach with a track record of success.
- In Nashville, Vrable hired veteran defensive coach Dean Pees as defensive coordinator. With 10 years experience as a DC, Pees has led top 10 defenses in 6 of those 10 years.
- Jack Del Rio, to my knowledge is still unemployed. Not only has he been a great DC in his tenure, he has several years head coaching experience. He would be an excellent hire as DC in Miami.

Instead, we are poised to continue our defensive track record with Matt Burke. Who has been part of, or led, a defense that has gotten its butt kicked up and down the field all season long. Disparage the talent all you want, but this team still boasts pro bowl talents in Suh, Wake and Reshad Jones. Yet we cannot field even a partially effective unit.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:18 pm

That is true White1 but at the same time Gase and other most young coaches that don't have great connections go after coaches that have the same connections or are starting out to become good coaches.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:20 pm

I think Gase is a chicken shit to have anyone challenge him. While most teams hire HC as coordinates and coaches this stupid team keeps promoting no ones from within or castoffs from other crap teams.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down