Fins Need to Take a QB in First Round

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: Fins Need to Take a QB in First Round

Post by JMP on Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:43 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
Anyone else remember when the Colts somehow finagled the FIRST TWO PICKS of the '92 draft and managed to screw up anyway? I remember...

What's especially hilarious is that they were coming off setting the NFL record for fewest points in a 16-game season, so of course they naturally spent both picks on...defense. I cannot make this stuff up.

http://pfref.com/tiny/snZrI

I forgot all about that draft!  Horrible timing for the Colts, having the top 2 picks in one of the worst drafts ever!

Too lazy to check, but wasn't that the year we drafted Earthquake Blake??? LOL

JMP
Admin

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:46 pm

I believe it was. They had to balance out taking Troy Vincent and Marco Coleman in the 1st Wink
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:11 pm

I liked Coleman too, but man, Troy Vincent was a helluva player.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan on Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:09 am

there has been so much chatter about Miami taking a QB, i can't help but think it's purposefully pre-draft subterfuge to disguise their real intentions.

Here’s what SI.com’s Peter King said about all this in his column on Monday:

“Miami, picking 11th in the April draft, is looking hard at quarterbacks, and several people I spoke with here think it’s likely they’ll go quarterback in the first round. Word already leaked that Miami officials will dine with Baker Mayfield the night before his March 14 pro day.

“The night before a pro day is prime time for teams interested in a player, and the Mayfield camp surely believes Miami is a strong contender to pick him. So what of Ryan Tannehill? In the immortal words of Bill Parcells, “I can only go by what I see.” Tannehill has missed the last 19 Dolphins games with injuries. By opening day this year it will have been 21 months since Tannehill played football. Adam Gase needs a challenger for Tannehill, and he needs him now.”

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article203594029.html

its just too obvious.

mercury22nathan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:31 am

mercury22nathan wrote:there has been so much chatter about Miami taking a QB, i can't help but think it's purposefully pre-draft subterfuge to disguise their real intentions.

Here’s what SI.com’s Peter King said about all this in his column on Monday:

“Miami, picking 11th in the April draft, is looking hard at quarterbacks, and several people I spoke with here think it’s likely they’ll go quarterback in the first round. Word already leaked that Miami officials will dine with Baker Mayfield the night before his March 14 pro day.

“The night before a pro day is prime time for teams interested in a player, and the Mayfield camp surely believes Miami is a strong contender to pick him. So what of Ryan Tannehill? In the immortal words of Bill Parcells, “I can only go by what I see.” Tannehill has missed the last 19 Dolphins games with injuries. By opening day this year it will have been 21 months since Tannehill played football. Adam Gase needs a challenger for Tannehill, and he needs him now.”

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article203594029.html

its just too obvious.

Totally agree.  All this talk about the Dolphins' love affair with Baker Mayfield makes me think there's zero chance they'll take him - or any QB for that matter. Last year they pretty much ignored Charles Harris and then drafted him.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:00 am

Last year they pretty much ignored Charles Harris and then drafted him.

Poor selection too. Many called it at the time, DF called it well before the draft as a "bust" risk.

I still have hope he will turn into a solid starter, given his reported work ethic and focus. But will never be the blue-chip playmaker you need to get in the first round. As usual.

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea on Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:10 am

I have a rule in drafting Mizzou players in the first two rounds. IMO, they aren't NFL for no team and for the fact that most of them don't last on a team for more than two or three years tells me alot

rightchea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:14 am

white1 wrote:
Last year they pretty much ignored Charles Harris and then drafted him.

Poor selection too.  Many called it at the time, DF called it well before the draft as a "bust" risk.

I still have hope he will turn into a solid starter, given his reported work ethic and focus.  But will never be the blue-chip playmaker you need to get in the first round.  As usual.

I keep saying this, but Harris has to play on the left side.  He's too slow and weak to take on left tackles every down.  I don't think he'll ever be a star no matter where he plays, but the coaches need to find a way to maximize his skillset.  Having him get constantly eaten up by LTs is a waste of everyone's time.

Last edited by JMP on Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:31 am

Agreed.

Meanwhile, the Falcons take Tak McKinley later in the round who collects 6 sacks and 2 FF in the regular season, adding 2 more sacks in the playoffs.

Dammit!

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea on Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:34 pm

white1 wrote:Agreed.

Meanwhile, the Falcons take Tak McKinley later in the round who collects 6 sacks and 2 FF in the regular season, adding 2 more sacks in the playoffs.

Dammit!

I really feel that Miami's scout team sucks. How are you missing almost every pick in the draft.

rightchea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic on Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:17 pm

rightchea wrote:
white1 wrote:Agreed.

Dammit!

I really feel that Miami's scout team sucks. How are you missing almost every pick in the draft.

Dang straight! Do you know how HARD it is to not find a hidden gem in the late rounds given enough picks? Or occasionally hit on a great player?

You could take any of the mock draft programs and load it with generally any subjective rating system the mocks use, and do MUCH BETTER than the Phins are doing IMO.

And it seems like when they do draft a good player or two, they dump them immediately rather than re-sign them.

I DOUBT they will go QB, but they dang sure NEED to draft a QB.

finfanatic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:21 pm

Olivier Vernon should be our starter at RDE. And we should have signed him 1 or 2 years BEFORE free agency, in order to give him immediate guaranteed dollars, in exchange for lower per-season cap figures.

That's just one example, and there are several more.

We actually had some OK drafts, however we FAIL to retain our own talent, instead opting for the sugary sweetness of the high priced free agent.

Not the right way to build a team. Landry is about to go - leaving us with little proven talent at WR. So, watch us throw a boatload of money at Allen Robinson from JAX.

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:49 pm

white1 wrote:watch us throw a boatload of money at Allen Robinson from JAX.

He's coming off an injury, so you know the Dolphins will be interested.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2