H. Wayne Huizenga R.I.P.

Go down

H. Wayne Huizenga R.I.P.

Post by JMP on Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:31 pm

Love him or hate him, Huizenga always kept things interesting.  Rest in Peace.

Great article by Hal Habib, covering the ups and downs of Huizenga's career in South Florida sports:

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/former-dolphins-marlins-panthers-owner-wayne-huizenga-dies-age/8XLnJPw5mRs5K6gScNb3zI/

Wayne Huizenga changed the sports landscape for South Florida. On this, there can be no debate.

On most everything else, there may be no end to the debate.

Without Huizenga, there might be no Miami Marlins. No Florida Panthers. No comfortable bridge between Dolphins founder Joe Robbie and current owner Stephen Ross.

There might also be little use for the term “fire sale” in local sports lexicon.

Huizenga, who died Friday at age 80, was many things to many fans

Last edited by JMP on Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: H. Wayne Huizenga R.I.P.

Post by DolFan 316 on Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:02 pm

Compared to Ross, Huizenga seemed like Robert Kraft. At the very least, you could tell he actually cared about winning, even if he didn't quite know how to go about it. At this point Ross is just trolling.

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:06 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:At the very least, you could tell he actually cared about winning, even if he didn't quite know how to go about it.

Yep, that's his Dolphins' legacy for sure.

JMP
Admin

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:16 pm

I met him a couple times at Florida Panthers events. He was always really nice, had time to talk, and he seemed to be very knowledge about sports and really wanted his teams to win. He really wanted Miami to have championships.

He spent a mint getting the Marlins a championship, and people still barely attended the games, then shit themselves blind when they had to dump salary. I don't get the new Miamians from 1990 forward, particularly sports fans. They bitch all the fuckin' time about everything, but no one shows up to the games when the teams are starting to get good. The Dolphins were always the exception to that rule, but not anymore.

Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:39 pm

Degarmo wrote:I don't get the new Miamians from 1990 forward, particularly sports fans.  They bitch all the fuckin' time about everything, but no one shows up to the games when the teams are starting to get good.  The Dolphins were always the exception to that rule, but not anymore.

That's how all sports fans are now in general. Especially those born after 1990. It's either win the title or you;re the worst team ever, and if you win the title it's no big deal since we expected you to do it anyway.

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn on Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:45 am

He made a few mistakes, such as listening to Jimmy about Wanny, and keeping Wanny around long past his expiration date, but the man really, truly tried. Jimmy and Saban were the consensus best candidates at the time each was available, and he spared no expense to make it happen. And he did leave the team in what appeared to be good hands with Parcells when he exited. It's too bad Ross and Parcells couldn't get along.

Dude spared no expense and stayed out of football decisions. A lot of Cowboys fans around here would have loved that.

HalCHorn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic on Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:15 am

I agree with Hal.

Huizenga tried his darnedest! It was just misfortune that Jimmy did not have the fire, and Saban realized the NFL was a snakebite.

Still, the whole episode with keeping an obviously inept Dave Wannstedt that had already lost the team and everyone KNEW was a complete nitwit is a black mark beyond the pale IMHO. THAT is the only REAL issue I have with Huizenga.

Man, that was one of the dumbest decisions since Ross trying to hire Harbaugh without having fired Sparano!!

finfanatic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down