HYDE has been reading our posts!!

Go down

HYDE has been reading our posts!!

Post by finfanatic on Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:02 am

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/dave-hyde-blog/fl-sp-hyde5-mayfield-draft-20180329-story.html

Apparently, the Dolphins dysfunction and lack of a clear cut perceptible plan is easy to see?

HYDE wrote:So why would the Dolphins add another safety? Why did defensive coordinator Matt Burke publicly lobby for one at the end of last season? Because the two safeties they’ve invested in overlap in talent and don’t fit with where the game is going.

They still need someone to cover tight end Rob Gronkowski — and every other tight end they play — just to line up with New England. That guy isn’t on the roster right now. James would have a chance to do so. So would Georgia linebacker Roquan Smith, who would fill the glaring need of an athletic linebacker.

But adding another safety in an era where that position is being discounted tells all about how the Dolphins keep screwing up. It gets back to vision and philosophy and doing something other than plugging holes. The safety is just the latest head-scratcher for these topics.

If the Phins draft a safety 1st overall, I might have to cut loose with a DF316 style rant!!!

They probably NEED one, but....

finfanatic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HYDE has been reading our posts!!

Post by JMP on Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:28 am

Extending McDonald's contract before he even played a down has to go down as one of the stupidest decisions this dumbass regime has made. Now we have two strong safeties both making millions of dollars.

The top two safeties in this draft class are of course Minkah Fitzpatrick and Derwin James. Of the two, Fitzpatrick is a natural free safety and he'd fit EXACTLY what the Phins need. James is much more of a strong safety fit, along the lines of what we already have.

Regardless - should we use a high pick on a position where we already have two starters entrenched? Free safety is a glaring need, but will we even use a free safety??? I don't have an answer to that. And of course, will Fitzpatrick and/or James even be available at 11?

JMP
Admin

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic on Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:56 pm

Yeah, the whole McDonald thing made me throw up a little in my mouth!

It all just seems so pointless. There is no plan. No overall strategy. Just cutting some players, not signing others, and then getting some other players to plug the holes.

If you could ever DISCERN what the Phins are doing....? But that would mean SOMEONE in the organization HAS A PLAN, but that does not seem to be the case. Which is probably why you cannot SEE the Plan; there ISN'T one!

finfanatic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:11 am

Dear god, how long now have I been saying we need an excellent free safety? Since Gerbil? Glad someone else sees it other than all of us here.
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn on Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:48 am

Solid draft to find one in on Day Two or possibly early in 3: Watts and Bates come to mind. Which means we probably won't take one.

HalCHorn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 on Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:19 pm

Knowing that half the league's base defense is a nickel or a dime package, the conversation could go either way a pass covering LB or a natural FS. The real issue is that WE can't cover TE's. How Miami chooses to solve it, is the question. Getting a FS in the draft will only delay the inevitable. By the time James or Fitzpatrick becomes comfortable 2 or 3 years from now, we are going to be shopping for the next Reshad Jones.

I didn't like the McDonald signing either especially, when we gave a ridiculous amount to Nate Allen.

At this particular moment, Miami must look at the future and not the present. This roster on paper won't be as competitive in the East. Continuity, schemes, coaching changes, and timing will be greatly affected. The priority right now is build the roster for the 3rd year. As crappy as it may sound, it must be done.
Umix10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:37 pm

Degarmo wrote:Dear god, how long now have I been saying we need an excellent free safety?  Since Gerbil?  Glad someone else sees it other than all of us here.

GERBIL WILSON!!! I'D FORGOTTEN ALL ABOUT HIM!!!

I could've sworn the '09 season was his last in the NFL (and it should've been) but apparently he had a cup of coffeee with the Bengals two years later.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WilsGi20.htm

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:59 pm

Umix10 wrote:
At this particular moment, Miami must look at the future and not the present.  This roster on paper won't be as competitive in the East.  Continuity, schemes, coaching changes, and timing will be greatly affected.  The priority right now is build the roster for the 3rd year.   As crappy as it may sound, it must be done.

That's how you and I think...but if Tannenbaum and Gase see this season as "win or get fired", I'm not sure they're looking a couple of years down the road.

There are rumors that the Phins wanted to use 3 safeties last season, one of whom would really be a LB, but on the field they've shown zero desire to do so - so I'm not sure I believe that. But if that's true, it does make drafting a safety at 11 a real possibility. Then, they add a player that helps both now and down the road. But I'm not convinced that this Dolphins staff is forward-thinking enough for that type of move.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 on Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:11 pm

The dolphins brought in McDonald to be their version of Deion Jones, a fast hitter who could cover. But Allen got hurt forcing him to be a more traditional FS. Miami’s issue as it always is, lack of planning.

Funny how Gase makes a comment about the chemistry between McDonald and Jones but in the end McDonald wasn’t brought here to be a traditional FS. Allen was supposed to do that but he got hurt 7 games into the season forcing McDonald into a position he wasn’t brought here for. How stupid is that shit?
Umix10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:19 pm

Umix10 wrote:The dolphins brought in McDonald to be their version of Deion Jones, a fast hitter who could cover.  But Allen got hurt forcing him to be a more traditional FS.  Miami’s issue as it always is, lack of planning.  

Funny how Gase makes a comment about the chemistry between McDonald and Jones but in the end McDonald wasn’t brought here to be a traditional FS.  Allen was supposed to do that but he got hurt 7 games into the season forcing McDonald into a position he wasn’t brought here for.  How stupid is that shit?

But that's what I don't get...you knew McDonald was going to miss 8 games, and you knew you wanted to run that particular type of defense...so why wasn't there a backup plan? They certainly didn't use any "hybrid safety" in the first 8 games, so was the plan to completely change the defense at midseason when McDonald came back? If so...what the hell????

I just don't get the way this team is run. Gase claims he wanted to throw the ball to running backs more - but he rarely did it for an entire season and a half. Gase also claims he didn't want to run the offense through one player - but that's exactly what he did with Landry for two whole seasons. Now they claim they wanted to use a hybrid safety - but they never did it in two whole seasons. Just what the hell is wrong with this coaching staff that they don't know how to do what they claim they want to do? Seems like there's no real plan in place and no one seems to know what to do.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 on Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:21 pm

Well the way I look at it JMP, is that he claimed to be a an whisperer but he ain’t so at least we know he’s full of shit
Umix10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down