Thoughts on Phins picks

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Thoughts on Phins picks

Post by finfanatic on Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:47 am

Well, I was expecting something strange from Tannenbaum, but this....

I was stunned because the way the first two picks went, I am fairly sure he made the picks I would have made.

Minkah Fitzpatrick - When you get a "coach on the field" and "Coach Saban's son" to put into a tepid, featureless, anemic defense,
I think they may have DISCOVERED that sometimes the work ethic and attitude mean just as much as talent generally. Fitz will not
let the defense have the Suh-attitude IMO. It may take a season or two, but if the coaching doesn't demoralize the defense,
I think the Phins may have found a defensive leader. This defense NEEDS an attitude and not that defeatist attitude they seem to
have assumed last season. GREAT PICK.

Mike Gesickt - A real TE. An athletic freakish TE. Wow. The Phins have needed a real TE for years. I think this could be a very good pick.
My only thought is, I MIGHT have taken Dallas Goedert instead? Maybe? I think both of them will be good in the NFL. But the Phins took a TE
high. Just wow. GREAT PICK.

Jerome Baker - If Baker performs in the NFL the way he did at OSU, okay. The Phins needed a LB but...this LB. Anyway, I will reserve judgement
on this until we see how they plan to use Baker. As Hal says, not taking Mason Rudolph here is probably gonna come back to haunt the team like
signing Culpepper instead of Brees!! UNDECIDED.

As JMP says in the General Draft Thread, if they whiff on everyone else, the first two picks make this one of the best drafts in awhile, and I agree.

Good job by the Phins thru the first three rounds. How often have you been able to say that?

Very Happy

finfanatic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Thoughts on Phins picks

Post by CarsonChris on Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:52 am

Read Baker is going to play on third down pass defense. Word his he can cover TE. Something Miami desperately needs!

CarsonChris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris on Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:54 am

Next on the list of must have, Bradley Bozeman, C Alabama. If we pick him this will be a draft to remember

CarsonChris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:09 am

To me, the Baker pick means that in nickle packages, which we play a lot, Alonso or McMillan will come off the field. That's a good thing, because neither one is good in coverage. But, the thought that a 6'1" LB is the answer to cover the 6'5" TEs of the world seems like a stretch. I guess we'll see. At least he should be a demon on STs.

The Baker pick also makes that McDonald contract look even worse, because now McDonald has nowhere to play unless Jones gets hurt. Such a stupid decision to extend his contract when they did.

But the first two picks...damn. Home runs.

The draft fell perfectly for the Phins. The first two picks were easy to make. Not much thought required: combining need and BPA. Tannenbaum tends to panic and make dumb choices when he has to think too much, but in those first two rounds there really shouldn't have been much thought involved...the picks were clear. Regardless, great job!

JMP
Admin

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:16 am

In round 4 I want a DT in the worst way:
--Maurice Hurst - a beast with top 15 skills...I'll take a chance on the heart condition in the 4th
--Tim Settle - a 3-down DT who is dominant against the run and better than expected in the pass game
--RJ McIntosh - perfect for the Phins' nickle D

I won't get to watch today live...I'll be out in Montauk. But I'll check in tonight...

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:28 am

If the Fins had taken Edmunds and Rudolph I'd have had this as one of their 5 best drafts ever.

Not understanding why they'd pass on Edmunds and then take a LB later anyway while passing on a QB. Oh well.

Again, Edmunds and Rudolph were both RIGHT THERE for the taking.

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn on Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:31 am

Hurst should be taken at this point.  A first round talent here, he can't possibly last much longer, can he?  I'd love Settle or McIntosh too, and like the former a bit better.  I don't see how we don't take at least one DT.

Tyrell Crosby and Jamarco Jones are OT talents surprisingly still available.  Either would likely replace James in a year.

I don't want a QB now, not at this point, but I really think they'll take Luke Falk in the fourth if he is still there.  

Okoronkwo is another very good value at this point, as is Ejiofer.  Teller could well still be there when we pick too.

Teller and Clapp should be among the OG/C options late in the fourth still.  St. Brown and Ateman would give us a big WR.

If I had the first pick of this round: I'd probably take Jamarco Jones.

What I'd like to see Miami do: Settle and Clapp.

What I think they'll do: Walton and Falk.

Last edited by HalCHorn on Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total

HalCHorn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn on Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:32 am

DolFan 316 wrote:If the Fins had taken Edmunds and Rudolph I'd have had this as one of their 5 best drafts ever.

Not understanding why they'd pass on Edmunds and then take a LB later anyway while passing on a QB. Oh well.

Again, Edmunds and Rudolph were both RIGHT THERE for the taking.

Yep, we will rue the day.

Rudolph and Mayfield will be butting heads for the next decade, and we will still be looking for a long term solution.

HalCHorn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj on Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:26 am

Love the 1st 2 picks are Jersey guys. Still need a QB
JEGnj

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:48 pm

HalCHorn wrote:Yep, we will rue the day.  

Rudolph and Mayfield will be butting heads for the next decade, and we will still be looking for a long term solution.

The Steelers selected Rudolph despite having Landry Jones and a QB they drafted just last year. So there's no excuse for the Fins not to have done it.

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif on Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:22 pm

We picked a blocking TE from ND and a pretty good looking RB from Arizona State so far today. Mark Walton got picked by the bungles. Damn. I guess we are not picking our developmental QB. What about DT? Still may gt someone, but probably no one significant. How bout Braxton Barrios from the U in the 5th or 6th?
scotgif

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:38 pm

I really like Ballage. He's going to be a nice compliment to Drake.
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:26 pm

Don't know a thing about the last 3 picks, other than wondering why another LB was drafted late instead of just taking Edmunds and actually drafting a kicker again. I know they didn't have one on the roster last time I checked but still.

Oh well. Nothing that seems too horrible to me. It's not as if they had a lot this year to work with in terms of pick quality and quantity.

I'll give this draft a B-, as opposed to my usual D or F. It's passable.

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif on Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:16 pm

I agree that this seems like the best draft we have had in years. Finally, we seem to have highlighted and actually drafted playmakers. Love Minkah and Giesiki. Just those two alone make it an A for me. I like the little I have seen on some of the others. Hopefully, 2 or 3 of the other picks make it.
scotgif

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:41 pm

scotgif wrote:I agree that this seems like the best draft we have had in years. Finally, we seem to have highlighted and actually drafted playmakers. Love Minkah and Giesiki. Just those two alone make it an A for me. I like the little I have seen on some of the others. Hopefully, 2 or 3 of the other picks make it.

Their strategy this time around was apparently to one, get faster on D and two, fill obvious needs (although how they went about doing that is another matter). That's the kind of strategy they should have for every draft TBH. And no silly trades for a change, or did I miss one?

Riley Ferguson is still out there BTW. Just sayin'.

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:56 pm

So, three great picks and a lot of crap.  The Fitzpatrick, Gesicki and Ballage picks are better than anything the Phins have done in years, so the draft is a success right there.  But the rest???  Really a bunch of nobodies.  A TE that literally can't do anything but block (can find guys like that anytime), a kicker that has no business being anywhere near the NFL, and a corner and LB that are likely career lifers on special teams only.  Yeah, Baker will contribute as a key role player, but just too many reaches with those 5 picks.

The Phins have certainly improved with those three players, but overall this draft could have been a lot better.  No complaints...but a lot of wasted picks.

Oh, and not drafting a DT was a colossal fail.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn on Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:55 pm

I pretty much echo JMP. The first two picks and Ballage were excellent picks, and I'd give no better than a D for all the rest.

FWIW, I'd have taken Rudolph over Baker, Hurst over Smythe, Bierria over Armstrong, Ateman and Norton with the two 7ths.

We do have two more starters and stars than we had before with the first two picks, and the running game with Ballage and Drake should be a pretty good one. But several missed opportunities here. Lack of long-term thinking (why take a QB? He won't play ahead of Osweiler this year!!) has been killing us for two decades now.

HalCHorn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:25 pm

ANY QB would have been good...just someone to develop so you don't have to constantly rely on dead end backups.

Can't say I'm surprised, though - I didn't actually expect them to draft a QB after signing Osweiler.

How about this: here's the list of undrafted FAs we've reportedly signed so far...and still not a QB to be seen.

DT Anthony Moten, Miami
LB Mike McCray, Michigan
G Connor Hilland ,William and Mary
DE Quincy Redmon, Fairmont State
K Greg Joseph, Florida Atlantic
OT David Steinmetz, Purdue
CB Jalen Davis, Utah State
DE Claudy Mathieu, Notre Dame College Falcons
DT Jamyius Pittman, Central Florida
RB Gregory Howell, Florida Atlantic

McCray and Joseph may actually be better than the guys they drafted at those positions (Poling and Sanders).

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:41 am

I'm lowering my draft grade to a C. Jmp and Hal talked me into it.

Still the best Fins draft in ages.

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn on Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:33 am

C would be mine too.

I will give them credit for picking up two Owls in Howell and Joseph for TC. Smile And yeah, Joseph might well win the kicking job.

Still looks like the Owls will be the only team giving me postseason hope this fall.

HalCHorn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj on Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:48 pm

I would give the off-season a A- or B+ for FAs and draft but at this point they get an F for failing to upgrade the QB and hitching the future on Tanny which EVERYONE except for a few loyal Fin's fans knows is nothing more than an average QB and dumping Landry. I would've even accepted Brock O and a rookie over Tanny.
JEGnj

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea on Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:01 pm

JMP wrote:ANY QB would have been good...just someone to develop so you don't have to constantly rely on dead end backups.  

Can't say I'm surprised, though - I didn't actually expect them to draft a QB after signing Osweiler.

How about this: here's the list of undrafted FAs we've reportedly signed so far...and still not a QB to be seen.

DT Anthony Moten, Miami
LB Mike McCray, Michigan
G Connor Hilland ,William and Mary
DE Quincy Redmon, Fairmont State
K Greg Joseph, Florida Atlantic
OT David Steinmetz, Purdue
CB Jalen Davis, Utah State
DE Claudy Mathieu, Notre Dame College Falcons
DT Jamyius Pittman, Central Florida
RB Gregory Howell, Florida Atlantic

McCray and Joseph may actually be better than the guys they drafted at those positions (Poling and  Sanders).

Where you find this nfl.com doesn't show this list

rightchea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:12 pm

Hey rightchea - I found the list of Dolphins undrafted free agents here:

http://www.dolphinstalk.com/2018/04/list-of-udfa-miami-has-signed-after.html

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris on Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:16 pm

What’s the over and under on Tannehill’s knee going out, under or over 8 games?

CarsonChris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:21 pm

CarsonChris wrote:What’s the over and under on Tannehill’s knee going out, under or over 8 games?

No worries even if it does happen...Gase has Cutler on speed dial! geek

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum