Post by JEGnj on Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:39 pm

I'm rooting for Riley Ferguson
JEGnj

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Thoughts on Phins picks

Post by JMP on Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:26 pm

JEGnj wrote:I'm rooting for Riley Ferguson

He signed with the Bucs. I'm surprised he wasn't drafted.

JMP
Admin

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:29 pm

I am loving the Gesicki pick. They were comparing him to Travis Kelce on NFL Radio today, and I think that's a pretty good comparison in terms of size, speed and hands. I think he's going to become Tannehill's new favorite target.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 on Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:14 am

Im glad that Miami found a TE in the draft. Giesecki is really athletic for his size. His ceiling as a TE could be limited if he can't block. Having a TE whose just a pass catcher is a big WR IMHO. Just like getting a TE whose a blocker is just a small T.

Although the sentiment for a TE is well needed I think Miami could have gotten a more well rounded TE and saved a pick
Umix10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:30 am

Umix10 wrote:Im glad that Miami found a TE in the draft.  Giesecki is really athletic for his size.  His ceiling as a TE could be limited if he can't block.  Having a TE whose just a pass catcher is a big WR IMHO.  Just like getting a TE whose a blocker is just a small T.  

Although the sentiment for a TE is well needed I think Miami could have gotten a more well rounded TE and saved a pick

Gesicki made big improvements in his pass protection this season, so that's a plus.  I think you could call him a "willing blocker" at this stage, which is all you really need from a pass-catching rookie TE.  He will definitely get better.  Contrast that to a guy like Dallas Goedert, who literally can't block at all and reportedly showed no interest in learning.  The only TE on the board at the time that can both catch and block at a high level was Andrews, and Gesicki is a much better receiver IMO.

The Smythe pick was way too high IMO.  He's a good blocker, but very raw as a receiver...in fact, he was rarely given the ball at all at ND.  Guys like that are easy to find later in the draft, and there are always cheap vets available in free agency.  Unless the Phins think he can some day develop into a receiver, it seems like a reach to draft a guy like that in the top 125.  Don't get me wrong - I think he can help and he will definitely contribute.  But there was much better talent on the board there.

Last edited by JMP on Tue May 01, 2018 8:36 am; edited 3 times in total

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:46 am

So after thinking about it...I'm going to give the Phins a solid B+. Here's how these picks play out IMO:

--Fitzpatrick and Gesicki: immediate starters that are actually legit playmakers and not just starters because there's no one else.
--Smythe, Ballage and Baker: key role players that will likely see a ton of action as rookies
--Armstrong and Poling: may have a hard time making the team (especially Poling), but could be special teams contributors. Armstrong has an interesting skillset but may be buried on the depth chart. Poling seems like a wasted pick...practice squad at best IMO.
--Sanders: wasted pick that may not make the team IMO

So that's 5 players that could all be legit key players (in some form or another) from day one. Maybe 6 if Sanders turns out to be more than I expect. I could certainly argue that 5 of the 8 picks were reaches and better players were available, but at the end of the day, if they really do hit on 5-6 picks that's a huge success.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea on Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:21 pm

Lets just hope that whatever the new plan is Gase will use them properly. It takes forever for Miami to know what to do with their rookies.

rightchea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 on Tue May 01, 2018 5:43 am

Funny but after doing a little research. Poling seems like a Mike Hull clone. I did find some pro day results that are almost identical to Hull. Hull ran a 4.68, Poling a 4.58. Hull's 3 cone drill 6.99, Poling a 6.88. They are almost identical in build, Hull is 6' and 235lbs. Poling stands at 6' 232. Hull had a tough time covering when he played. Poling seems to be more fluid and has quicker feet and speed than Hull. If Poling has an inkling of coverage skills I think he makes the team and Hull gets cut.
Umix10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Tue May 01, 2018 8:40 am

Umix10 wrote:Funny but after doing a little research. Poling seems like a Mike Hull clone. I did find some pro day results that are almost identical to Hull.  Hull ran a 4.68, Poling a 4.58.  Hull's 3 cone drill 6.99, Poling a 6.88.  They are almost identical in build, Hull is 6' and 235lbs. Poling stands at 6' 232.  Hull had a tough time covering when he played. Poling seems to be more fluid and has quicker feet and  speed than Hull.  If Poling has an inkling of coverage skills I think he makes the team and Hull gets cut.

This regime loves to keep their draft picks, so I could see that happening. But - Hull is our best special teams LB by far (at least until Baker steps on the field), so that may give him an advantage over Poling.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan on Tue May 01, 2018 9:24 am

when asked about why the Phins didn't go after a QB on the second or third day of the draft, Grier said...

"We weren't going to reach for anyone at that point in the draft. There were some players we liked, but we ended up getting some players we think will help us now."

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article210056969.html

so in case any of you are still in doubt, this regime is in full "we must win now in order to save our jobs" mode. drafting a QB for development isn't a luxury this groups feels they have. shortsighted.

nonetheless, i am generally pleased with this draft - based mostly on the top few picks.

mercury22nathan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Tue May 01, 2018 9:36 am

mercury22nathan wrote:when asked about why the Phins didn't go after a QB on the second or third day of the draft, Grier said...

"We weren't going to reach for anyone at that point in the draft. There were some players we liked, but we ended up getting some players we think will help us now."

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article210056969.html

so in case any of you are still in doubt, this regime is in full "we must win now in order to save our jobs" mode.  drafting a QB for development isn't a luxury this groups feels they have.  shortsighted.

nonetheless, i am generally pleased with this draft - based mostly on the top few picks.

Yep. If anyone wasn't already convinced, they should be now: Gase is 100% all-in on Tannehill, and their future in Miami is absolutely linked. Tannehill has never won more than 8 games in a season, and if that trend continues I think both he and Gase will be looking for new teams next offseason. Let's hope Sitton and Gesicki are the real deal, because those two players just may be the key to Tannehill's success.

Huge gamble by Gase to roll with garbage behind Tannehill again. If Tannehill gets injured again...I have a feeling Osweiler will have us longing for the days of Jay Cutler.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif on Tue May 01, 2018 12:43 pm

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2018/04/30/which-veterans-benefit-most-from-miami-dolphins-draft-decisions/

gase just loves him some fales.

David Fales, QB, 27 years old, 3rd year — Coach Adam Gase likes Fales, who played well in the season finale against Buffalo. “Letting him move on was not going to be an option for us,” Gase said at the end of March. Fales played well in the preseason last year and while he doesn’t have the ideal experience for a backup and doesn’t have a powerful arm, Gase likes his composure.

scotgif

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 on Wed May 02, 2018 2:22 am

Fakes had a good game IMO against a playoff bound Bills team. He had his moments but overall I thought he commanded the offense and made plays. I thought he was mobile and extended plays when he had to.

I am not, by any means ok with not drafting a QB but, I am interested to see how Fales battles Tannehill in camp. I think he will really get his chance in that QB room because he IS a Gase Guy. First Cutler, then Fales, and now Osweiler. Sticking with that theme I think one of them will truly get a nod over Tannehill. Just my assessment of the situation!!!!
Umix10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Wed May 02, 2018 7:42 am

I thought Fales looked like a third stringer. He's small, has no arm and doesn't do anything particularly well. That said, Gase loves him, so he'll have a legit chance to battle Osweiler for the #2 job. But if either one has to play for an extended time, we're fucked. That's pure bottom of the barrel.

Tannehill is the unquestioned starter. He's got zero competition. This is his team, win or lose. Gase has tied himself to Tannehill, and they'll either win together or get thrown to the curb together.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 on Wed May 02, 2018 12:25 pm

JMP wrote:I thought Fales looked like a third stringer.  

As well as Cutler and Moore. I think they all had their moments. The offense was stagnant. Coaching, players, scheme, play calling, you name it, we didn't have it.

JMP wrote:Tannehill is the unquestioned starter. He's got zero competition. This is his team, win or lose. Gase has tied himself to Tannehill, and they'll either win together or get thrown to the curb together.

In the present, yes he is the unquestioned starter. The Dolphins saw to that by not drafting a QB and signing Osweiler. Fales is the wildcard to me. Both were brought in by Gase and they know the system and what he expects. More importantly, they aren't injury prone.
Umix10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Wed May 02, 2018 12:39 pm

Umix10 wrote: 

JMP wrote:Tannehill is the unquestioned starter. He's got zero competition. This is his team, win or lose. Gase has tied himself to Tannehill, and they'll either win together or get thrown to the curb together.

In the present, yes he is the unquestioned starter.  The Dolphins saw to that by not drafting a QB and signing Osweiler.  Fales is the wildcard to me.   Both were brought in by Gase and they know the system and what he expects.  More importantly, they aren't injury prone.

I firmly believe that if Tannehill fails this season, both he and Gase are gone. And the next head coach isn't going to hold onto garbage like Osweiler and Fales.

In the meantime, there is zero chance that Osweiler and Fales ever play in a regular season game unless Tannehill gets hurt.

This has to be the worst QB group in the entire NFL, outside of maybe Jacksonville.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Wed May 02, 2018 4:27 pm

And speaking of QBs...

Can we all finally admit that Gase is NOT a QB guru? He's never developed a young QB, he constantly falls back on garbage QBs from his past (Fales, Cutler, Osweiler), and he's put all his eggs in a basket held by a QB that has never won more than 8 games in a season. Gase has been a FRAUD up to this point. He has one more season to prove himself, as far as I'm concerned. He has his players and his coaches - no more damn excuses!!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif on Wed May 02, 2018 6:10 pm

But I thought he was responsible for Peyton Manning’s success in Denver.
scotgif

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Wed May 02, 2018 7:54 pm

scotgif wrote:But I thought he was responsible for Peyton Manning’s success in Denver.

lol! lol! lol! lol!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 on Wed May 02, 2018 11:29 pm

Considering that his only real work was Tebow, I never thought he was a QB guru.

Interestingly I just saw that the Pats aren’t exercising the option on Danny Shelton. Hmmmmmm......
Umix10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Thu May 03, 2018 8:39 am

Umix10 wrote:

Interestingly I just saw that the Pats aren’t exercising the option on Danny Shelton.  Hmmmmmm......

More interesting: they aren't exercising the option for DT Malcolm Brown either, who is one of the better players on their defense. But word is that they will try to extend him.

Not sure why they wouldn't exercise Shelton's option...maybe they just want to see how he does this season before they commit? They could still cut him even if they did pick up the option, so I'm not really sure what the thinking is?

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea on Fri May 04, 2018 6:02 pm

Ian Rapoport wrote:Veteran DT Terrell McClain is visiting the #Dolphins today, source says. McClain was released post-draft by the Redskins.

per Twitter

rightchea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Sat May 05, 2018 10:40 am

rightchea wrote:
Ian Rapoport wrote:Veteran DT Terrell McClain is visiting the #Dolphins today, source says. McClain was released post-draft by the Redskins.

per Twitter

Yay. Another small scrub to add to the already-weak DL.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Sat May 05, 2018 11:59 am

My draft grade is downgraded to a C- because the Fins decided they'd rather sign Bryce Petty instead of drafting Rudolph, and also sign two mediocre DTs instead of drafting one.

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn on Sat May 05, 2018 3:44 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:My draft grade is downgraded to a C- because the Fins decided they'd rather sign Bryce Petty instead of drafting Rudolph, and also sign two mediocre DTs instead of drafting one.

Yep. Nothing against Baker or Smythe, but replace them with Rudolph and either Hurst, McIntosh OR Settle (take your pick) and this is the best draft in 20 years. As it is, it's another one full of missed opportunities.

Seriously, you can have Rudolph (on a third round rookie contract), Fales or Petty as your third stringer this year. Who's the best bet to amount to something a year or two from now? Lack of long term thinking is killing us.

HalCHorn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum