Thoughts on Phins picks

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Re: Thoughts on Phins picks

Post by Degarmo on Mon May 07, 2018 4:44 am

I believe they're stockpiling small DTs so the offensive line will feel better about themselves during practice.
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Mon May 07, 2018 7:29 am

Degarmo wrote:I believe they're stockpiling small DTs so the offensive line will feel better about themselves during practice.

That's such a 21st century thing to do that it actually makes sense. Seriously.

Of course at some point they'd have to find a way to boost the small DTs' self esteem as well so nobody's feelings get hurt.

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Mon May 07, 2018 9:17 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
Degarmo wrote:I believe they're stockpiling small DTs so the offensive line will feel better about themselves during practice.

That's such a 21st century thing to do that it actually makes sense. Seriously.

Of course at some point they'd have to find a way to boost the small DTs' self esteem as well so nobody's feelings get hurt.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Hilarious...but, sadly, probably true.

JMP
Admin

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Mon May 07, 2018 9:25 am

HalCHorn wrote:
DolFan 316 wrote:My draft grade is downgraded to a C- because the Fins decided they'd rather sign Bryce Petty instead of drafting Rudolph, and also sign two mediocre DTs instead of drafting one.

Yep.  Nothing against Baker or Smythe, but replace them with Rudolph and either Hurst, McIntosh OR Settle (take your pick) and this is the best draft in 20 years.  As it is, it's another one full of missed opportunities.

Seriously, you can have Rudolph (on a third round rookie contract), Fales or Petty as your third stringer this year.  Who's the best bet to amount to something a year or two from now?  Lack of long term thinking is killing us.

Exactly, Hal. This team just loves to add specialty role players like Baker and Smythe, guys that really have very limited skillsets and have little chance to ever push for starting jobs. I'm not saying that they won't help the Phins - they absolutely will - but why settle for a single when you can potentially get an extra-base hit?

Think about it...if I told you that in round 4 you could get a part-time blocking TE or a full-time DT that was a top 15 talent, on what planet does the blocking TE get the nod? I know every team passed on Hurst multiple times just like the Phins, but this is how the Phins ALWAYS operate...they choose the career role player over the potential starter. At least they went against the grain this year with Fitzpatrick and Gesicki, but those were easy picks to make that really required little or no thought.

And on QBs: when you compare Rudolph's ceiling to that of Fales or Petty, it's laughable. I don't know what Rudolph will become, but I do know that Fales and Petty are dead ends. Of course, there's no way the Phins were going to draft a QB this year because they are (mistakenly) in win-now mode. They aren't thinking long-term at all.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 on Mon May 07, 2018 12:39 pm

Remember back in 2015. Ad we wasted a pick on Cedrick Thompson? oh and Jamil Douglas. All the whilst, Lael Collins was sitting there and went undrafted and then signed with the Cowboys? Remeber that.

That's where I think this is headed. My guess is that Rudolph and every QB we passed on will win a game against the Dolphins.
Umix10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Tue May 08, 2018 1:18 am

DolFan 316 wrote:

The current offensive line will take care of that.

They're not going to make the right decision, even when it's to complete their own plans.
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic on Tue May 08, 2018 12:11 pm

Well, I HOPE Tannehill stays/IS Healthy, cause otherwise, the Phins be in a world a'hurt IMO.

And even if Tanny is okay, I still have some serious doubts about the team's psyche.

This is going to be the deciding year for Tannenbaum and Gase I think.

Especially after Ross admitted some concerns about the (lack of) draft strategy Tannenbaum is displaying.

A bad season, Tannenbaum is gone, Gase MIGHT hold out for another year, but, an EPIC FAIL season and I think Ross goes nuclear dumpster fire and brings in another football guy to start over.

finfanatic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Tue May 08, 2018 1:29 pm

I think Ross goes nuclear dumpster fire and brings in another football guy to start over.

Just for the record....

The next "football guy" Ross installs as VP will be the first one he hires.

This is assuming he wants the structure he has today, which is a fairly recent change. I think it can work, and many teams seem to be using this approach, look at Jacksonville and the role they setup for Coughlin. That appears to be the right model, especially for an owner that wants a single voice from his football operation. Ross should never have put himself into the position of managing a head coach and a GM, and it seems he learned from that mistake.

We all know Tannenbaum is little more than a power player, possessing the art of convincing leadership he is the right guy to get the job done. No one should doubt his talent as a career politician with the savvy to maneuver into the upper ranks of an organization. A "football guy" he is not. Never will be. Appears he just doesn't have the background, or acumen, to understand how a team is correctly structured and built. He just makes moves to release and acquire players, with seemingly no plan governing the direction the roster takes based on those moves.

We haven't had a real football mind leading this team since Parcells. After one season, it became clear his heart just wasn't in it. I wonder if it was Huizenga selling the team?

In any case, that's the type of guy we need instead of Tannenbaum. I know there are several up and coming executives across the league ready to take the opportunity. With a clear structure under Ross, any way you slice it Miami is a compelling job. Even moreso with the retirement of Brady and Belichek rapidly approaching. The right guy could hire a solid GM, head coach, and take this team to command of the AFC East as soon as 2020.

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Tue May 08, 2018 2:16 pm

Excellent post, white - right on. If and when Ross shitcans the current clowns, the first order of business is to hire a REAL football guy and let him run the show. I think that's the ONLY way the Phins can ever be consistently good again.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3