The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bobby McCain gets paid

+4
white1
Umix10
JMP
rightchea
8 posters

Go down

Bobby McCain gets paid Empty Bobby McCain gets paid

Post by rightchea Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:53 pm

The Sports Xchange wrote:The Miami Dolphins made Bobby McCain the NFL's highest-paid nickelback after signing him to a four-year, $27 million contract extension.

The deal includes $13 million guaranteed, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported.

https://www.upi.com/Sports_News/NFL/2018/06/03/Miami-Dolphins-Bobby-McCain-becomes-highest-paid-nickelback/7551528054822/

Why pay a lackluster DB so much money when you could have spent that on Landry or someone else on the offensive side. confused confused confused confused

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Bobby McCain gets paid Empty Re: Bobby McCain gets paid

Post by JMP Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:10 am

WOW! Shocked That's a lot of bread for a pretty mediocre player.

I really don't understand how this team chooses to spend it's money. They continually throw boatloads of cash at lesser players, but never want to pay their better players.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:19 am

And I thought we were going to use more "big nickle" packages with Fitzpatrick? Wouldn't that eat into McCain's playing time?? So that means we're paying top dollar to a guy that is going to play less than he has in the past. No

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:34 pm

Ahead of camp, Salguero wrote:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article212477574.html

Not that I’m ignorant to think that the Dolphins would listen but this is the way Miami has done shit all along. Pay someone at one position and then move them to another. You paid McCain as a slot, play him as a slot. Paying him is a totally different issue. But, the secondary is decent IMHO, the real issue with the secondary is not the actual secondary per se, it’s the highest paid defensive line lacking pressure up front!!!!! If Quinn, Wake, Harris, Branch, and Williams can get it together like they were supposed to Miami’s secondary would be a whole lot better!
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:43 pm

I don't see Bobby McCain as a outside DB. Keep him inside get him to make some great plays. Fitzpatrick is going to be one of those guys that they going to move around all over the defense and just hope they can find some where to put him.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:30 pm

Dolphins certain outcome in the secondary:

Both Xavien Howard and Tankersley will develop into pro-bowl caliber boundary corners. We won't be able to retain either of them due to the money we paid for strong safeties Reshad Jones and TJ McDonald, as well as slot CB McCain.

They both walk in free agency.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:47 pm

Wow White!!! Bold prediction on Tankersley and Howard. Although I admit they have the makings of a good corners. As I said in my earlier post it could boil down to the development of the pass rush. If the pass rush is anywhere as good as on paper then I think the prophecy could have some validity to it. I just dont think the pass rush will be all that different
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:22 pm

I think it is a smart move to lock up McCain. He has improved each year. He is regarded as a very good slot DB. If he balls out this year and we did not sign him, it would be yet, one more Dolphin FO mistake on retaining its performing young players (Lamar, OV, Landry, etc).

I think they are making him the starter at outside corner due to the raise he was just given. Not a fan of that move. He excels at slot DB, leave him there.
scotgif
scotgif

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:47 pm

It doesn't make any sense to move McCain outside.  He's an inside corner, and we already have a bunch of boundary corners.  But, the Phins just love to put square pegs into round holes, so I'm sure this will happen.

Typical Phins...you give an average player a huge raise, and then you either limit his playing time or play him out of position.  Same shit over and over.

I can already see it...Jones and McDonald will continue to start at the two safety spots, Fitzpatrick will play nickle, and Howard and McCain will start outside. And teams will constantly throw all over McDonald and McCain. No

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:53 pm

JMP hit it on the head! Has anyone even mentioned that McCain is only 5’9” in 1in cleats? Just thought I might have to point that out
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:01 pm

Umix10 wrote:Has anyone even mentioned that McCain is only 5’9” in 1in cleats?  Just thought I might have to point that out

What's funny is that the Dolphins list him at 5'11", yet you can still look up all his draft numbers and he was 5'9" in 2015. Unless he had a miraculous growth spurt in his early 20s, they're obviously bending the truth - and it's obvious when you see him. A lot of teams do that, but the truth is out there! alien

Considering that the Phins don't switch sides with their outside corners, putting McCain outside is an invitation for opposing teams to line up their taller receivers against him. Major mismatch.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:02 am

Meh. Even though he's a Memphis product, I still can't get excited about this.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:19 am

from the Mando article...

ARMANDO SALGUERO wrote:McCain on the outside is clearly not where he earned his reputation. He has been excellent in the slot as his new deal suggests. But put him outside, covering the most elite receivers in the NFL rather than slot receivers, and that presents the possibility for mismatches.

huh? excellent? since when? i mean he's been serviceable, but excellent - i haven't seen it. and while i know numbers don't tell the whole story, he had 2 ints last year and has a career total of 3...not sure that's excellent. much like they did with McDonald, i think the Phins are giving him a pay raise based on what they think he can do (perhaps compete on the outside) as opposed to what he has actually done.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:43 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:from the Mando article...

ARMANDO SALGUERO wrote:McCain on the outside is clearly not where he earned his reputation. He has been excellent in the slot as his new deal suggests. But put him outside, covering the most elite receivers in the NFL rather than slot receivers, and that presents the possibility for mismatches.

huh?  excellent?  since when?  i mean he's been serviceable, but excellent - i haven't seen it.  and while i know numbers don't tell the whole story, he had 2 ints last year and has a career total of 3...not sure that's excellent.  much like they did with McDonald, i think the Phins are giving him a pay raise based on what they think he can do (perhaps compete on the outside) as opposed to what he has actually done.

Agreed. I don't know how this "McCain is excellent" narrative started, but it just doesn't pass the eye test. There's probably less than a handful of "excellent" CBs in the entire NFL right now...and McCain simply isn't one of them. Receivers and TEs in this era get bigger and faster every year, and small, slow-ish corners are going to become obsolete as a result...unless they have elite coverage skills and athleticism, and that's not McCain. He's a serviceable (as you said), solid player - nothing more. Paying him at an elite level and possibly moving him outside is a fail waiting to happen.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:01 pm

He's been pretty good, certainly worth a 5th round pick, but I can't see that he was that big a priority. Too bad the 'Fins didn't consider their next 5th rounder from 2015 to be worth keeping.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down