The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New TE struggling in OTA's

+5
white1
DolFan 316
JMP
scotgif
rightchea
9 posters

Go down

New TE struggling in OTA's Empty New TE struggling in OTA's

Post by rightchea Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:19 pm

The sports exchange wrote:Miami Dolphins rookie tight end Mike Gesicki is struggling as he makes the transition from the college to professional game.
Gesicki, Miami's second-round pick (No. 42 overall) in the second round of the 2018 NFL Draft, has "looked lost at times" during organized team activities, the Miami Herald reported.

https://www.upi.com/Sports_News/NFL/2018/06/09/Miami-Dolphins-TE-Mike-Gesicki-dealing-with-learning-curve/2771528572201/

I am not surprised by this at all. Miami is trying to find a replacement for Landry and they missed when it comes to this guy.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

New TE struggling in OTA's Empty Re: New TE struggling in OTA's

Post by scotgif Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:00 pm

I could care less what is being "reported" now. The media only gets maybe one day a week to watch practice. So, if a guy has one or two negative plays, they may make it seem like he is "struggling". I think he will be a big part of the offense. He will be Tannehill's security blanket. I see 55 catches, 700 + yards and 6-8 TD's.
scotgif
scotgif

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:36 am

TEs often need time to adjust to the NFL, so I'm not worried yet.  He may even struggle during the regular season for the first few weeks or so.  My only real worry about Gesicki is his lack of bulk...dude seems way too skinny for a TE.  But, that will be fixed in time.

Last edited by JMP on Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:11 am

Struggling already, skinny legs...I'm not waiting to declare him a bust, which lowers the draft grade to D for me. Still better than the usual F, though.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:30 am

One other note...if Gesicki struggles, we may once again be looking at an offense that runs through one receiver - and as Degarmo and white discussed elsewhere, that one receiver may be Amendola. Gesicki really is a key to this offense, IMO...we desperately need a TE threat to take pressure off the WRs.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:20 am

Agree. I'm not giving up on Derby or Gray either. I think one or both could blossom, and help hold down the fort at TE until Gesicki ramps up.

TE is a difficult position for rookies. We should temper expectations for 2018.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:18 pm

white1 wrote:Agree.  I'm not giving up on Derby or Gray either.  I think one or both could blossom, and help hold down the fort at TE until Gesicki ramps up.

TE is a difficult position for rookies.  We should temper expectations for 2018.

The problem is, the TE position is a mess if Gesiciki is slow to develop. Derby has done absolutely nothing of note in the NFL to date, Escobar is not much better, and the coaches seemed very hesitant to use Gray last season. Duarte should not be in the NFL, and who knows what we can expect from Smythe as a rookie.

It's a lot of pressure to put on a rookie, but Gesicki really could be the difference between a mediocre offense and a good offense. It may not be a fair expectation, but we really need him to put up a strong showing sooner rather than later.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:52 pm

Smythe is not a catching TE. unfortunately Gesiciki is Miami last hope at TE when it comes to catching passes.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:35 am

I don't think that TE is going to be an issue. I think the media has reported on TE issues for such a long time that the expectations are high. I think that if Gesicki wasn't drafted Smythe would have had the same scrutiny. Expectations are high. Things are different when there are no pads. There is an adjustment period for all rookies and I think its fair to say, "give him a break".
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:07 am

Umix10 wrote:I don't think that TE is going to be an issue.  I think the media has reported on TE issues for such a long time that the expectations are high. I think that if Gesicki wasn't drafted Smythe would have had the same scrutiny. Expectations are high.  Things are different when there are no pads.  There is an adjustment period for all rookies and I think its fair to say, "give him a break".

Smythe would not have had the same scrutiny. His primary job is to block, so he's not being looked at as a "savior"...just a role player. But Gesicki was drafted in large part to transform this offense and become Tannehill's new secuirty blanket...to take on much of Landry's workload and produce more points. Fair or not, there is a lot riding on Gesicki's fast development. I'm not worried at all about anything that happens in OTAs, but Gesicki has to be a difference-maker fairly quickly if the offense is going to do anything.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:08 pm

I see there is a lot of faith in the aj derby's, Marquise Gray, Duarte of the world to step up. And rightly so. Gray has stuck around 2 years, mainly due to his "position flexibility". He can provide snaps at TE, H-back/Full back, emergency QB and is a core special teamer. The rest are scrubinos.

I agree that a lot rides on how Gesecki picks up the speed and power of the pro game. I expect/hope to see gradual improvement from him throughout camp and the early part of schedule and hopefully by game 5 or so, he will feel comfortable in his role and become the playmaking TE this team has lacked since I can't remember when.
scotgif
scotgif

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:23 pm

I think the TE position has been neglected for a long long time. Since Miami hasn’t really drafted TE’s I think they are putting a lot on that dude. If he didn’t get drafted the next TE that Miami drafted would have gotten the same scrutiny. Regardless of the disposition. Again expectations are high from the “TE” position. Not who we drafted. Gesicki will be fine. Physically he had the tools. He needs to learn which ones are effective. Shells and pads are a different ball game. OTA’s completely different.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:16 pm

A rookie struggling in June? Holy shit, that's big news Razz

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:37 pm

Umix10 wrote:I think the TE position has been neglected for a long long time.  Since Miami hasn’t really drafted TE’s I think they are putting a lot on that dude.  If he didn’t get drafted the next TE that Miami drafted would have gotten the same scrutiny.  Regardless of the disposition.  Again expectations are high from the “TE” position. Not who we drafted.  Gesicki will be fine.  Physically he had the tools.  He needs to learn which ones are effective.  Shells and pads are a different ball game.  OTA’s completely different.

I don't know...I really don't see it that way. Gesicki is supposed to be our Gronk - that's the expectation because of who he was in college, not just that he's a TE. Smythe caught less than 30 passes in his entire 4-year college career and regardless of who else we drafted, he was NEVER going to be thought of as the passing-game savior the way Gesicki is. Smythe was a role player in college and he's destined to be the same in the NFL...no way will he ever be thought of as another Gronk, barring a major miracle.

I think Gesicki will work out. He is athletic and has very good receiving skills. But, if he struggles early the pressure from fans and the media will bear down on him. Let's hope he can handle that type of pressure mentally, because things could get brutal if he looks more like Michael Egnew than Rob Gronkowski!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:08 pm

We can agree to disagree JMP, but you already set expectations for Gesicki by saying he supposed to be the next Gronk! Which is what I’m saying all along about what the expectations should be. They didn’t say smythe couldn’t catch it just said he was used more as a blocker.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:17 pm

Umix10 wrote:We can agree to disagree JMP,  but you already set expectations for Gesicki by saying he supposed to be the next Gronk!  Which is what I’m saying all along about what the expectations should be. They didn’t say smythe couldn’t catch it just said he was used more as a blocker.  

I'm not the one who called him the next Gronk...but you can look all over the other Dolphin message boards and see statements just like that about him! Gesicki is being viewed as some type of savior. That's the expectation. I'm just saying that if he doesn't meet those expectations right away, he's going to take a ton of heat from fans and media alike. This fanbase needs a hero in the worst way, and a lot of people think Gesicki will be it.

As for Smythe - TEs are used primarily as blockers only when they can't catch! If he could catch, he'd be a complete #1 TE and we wouldn't even need Gesicki! Wink

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:33 am

As for me...I don't care if he looks like a dried up dog terd in OTAs.

As long as he SHOWS SOMETHING in the preseason....shows us a flash or two....shows us the reason he was drafted in the 2nd round....and I will be okay.

It's when you draft somebody that highly and NEVER see anything, no flash, no nothing, that I start to worry.

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:35 am

Apparently he had a good day yesterday, someone mentioned on Twitter he had like 4 catches and they were impressed by his speed. They said it was the best they've seen from him so far in practices open to the media.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:58 pm

He has to learn a new offense, give him time, it's June. You kids and your internet instant gratification and your hula hoops and your Dan Fogleberg Razz

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:42 am

Degarmo wrote:He has to learn a new offense, give him time, it's June.  You kids and your internet instant gratification and your hula hoops and your Dan Fogleberg Razz

Now that's funny right there.

Danged Whippersnappers! Degarmo and I remember when you used to not be able to find a sex vid of your favorite actresses.

Very Happy
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:55 am

Degarmo wrote:He has to learn a new offense, give him time, it's June.  You kids and your internet instant gratification and your hula hoops and your Dan Fogleberg Razz

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:59 pm

LOL!

Man, that brings back memories of being a kid and listening to whatever my mom had on the radio.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:23 am

You forgot the Pac-Man video games Smile

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down