Phins blitz early, but not so often

Go down

Phins blitz early, but not so often

Post by mercury22nathan on Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:13 am

found this interesting.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-blitz-tendencies-by-down-and-distance-in-the-nfl

the Phins were the 3rd highest blitzing team on 1st downs last year. but honestly, i don't recall all that blitzing being very effective. you'll note they are no where to be found in the blitz stats on 2nd and 3rd downs. it would appear teams like Carolina, Rams and Houston blitz early and then keep the pressure up, but the Phins seem to blitz early and when it doesn't work, they go into a vanilla shell.

mercury22nathan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Phins blitz early, but not so often

Post by JMP on Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:09 am

It's been a problem for years: when the Dolphins blitz, the blitzers rarely get near the QB. I think it's a combination of poor blitzers and a poor scheme, but regardless of who the DC is it never gets solved.

JMP
Admin

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif on Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:12 pm

JMP wrote:It's been a problem for years: when the Dolphins blitz, the blitzers rarely get near the QB.  I think it's a combination of poor blitzers and a poor scheme, but regardless of who the DC is it never gets solved.

Boom, you nailed it JMP. Was just thinking the same thing. We are always a step too late or the blitzer gets lost at the LOS. I hope you see TJ and Minkah used in some creative blitz packages. Hoping Anthony and the rookie LB can disrupt, as well.
scotgif

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:41 pm

Alonso hardly blitzed at all last year, but I remember him blitzing quite a bit in 2016...and he would just get swallowed up by the line every time, rarely if ever even sniffing the QB. And then we gave him a huge contract... No

I don't know that we have any good blitzing LBs on the roster. Brown is fast enough, but he's tiny. If he runs into a lineman, he's done. Like you said, scot, hopefully Minkah and some of the other guys in the secondary will be up to the task...

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic on Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:37 am

The pass rush stunk it up last year.

We have to hope Harris does SOMETHING this year.

Again....I ain't exactly confident.

The whole defensive scheme seems to be some sort of "bend don't break, make the tackle, and pray the other team is having an off day on offense" scheme to me.

There is no attempt to disrupt the offensive game plan of the other team IMO.

finfanatic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:28 pm

finfanatic wrote:The pass rush stunk it up last year.

We have to hope Harris does SOMETHING this year.

Again....I ain't exactly confident.  

The whole defensive scheme seems to be some sort of "bend don't break, make the tackle, and pray the other team is having an off day on offense" scheme to me.

There is no attempt to disrupt the offensive game plan of the other team IMO.

Yep. It seems like we've been running a "react" scheme the past few years, where the defenders blindly try to follow the ball carrier. As opposed to "read and react" where our players can diagnose the play and adjust accordingly...emphasis on the word "read". I've said this before, but I have no idea what the defensive coaches do in practice and in the classroom, because it very rarely seems like they have their players prepared.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic on Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:45 am

JMP wrote:I've said this before, but I have no idea what the defensive coaches do in practice and in the classroom, because it very rarely seems like they have their players prepared.

Yep, they sure do seem to be "surprised" by what the opposing team's offense does BEST!

finfanatic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down