Dolphins bubble watch: Wide receiver edition

Go down

Dolphins bubble watch: Wide receiver edition

Post by rightchea on Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:45 pm

Kevin Nogle wrote:The Miami Dolphins are getting closer and closer to the start of training camp, with a lot of work to be done during the summer before the team reaches the start of the regular season. While a lot of the camp will be continuing to install the team’s playbook and making sure players like Ryan Tannehill and Raekwon McMillan remain healthy as they return from injuries that cost them the 2017 season, there will also be tough descisions when it comes to the team’s 53-man roster. The 2018 version of the Dolphins has a lot of depth at several positions, and the numbers game of building the roster will not allow all of those players to make the roster.

https://www.thephinsider.com/2018/7/1/17522608/dolphins-bubble-watch-wide-receiver-edition

rightchea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dolphins bubble watch: Wide receiver edition

Post by DolFan 316 on Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:02 pm

Sorry JEGnj, looks like Caroo's a goner this time. And he probably should be.

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:26 am

Hard to imagine this team keeping more than 5 WRs, because since Gase has taken over they really only use 4 on gamedays. Amendola, Wilson, Stills, Parker and Grant are all locks. All the rest will compete for 1-2 spots on the practice squad. Carroo has limited ability on special teams, so he likely has no chance.

My guess is Amendola, Wilson, Stills and Parker will be the primary receivers used on game days, with Grant playing mostly as a returner, with limited snaps at receiver on gimmick plays and in special packages.

Overall, it's pretty much a group of quick smurf receivers. Parker is the only WR with real size, but he rarely uses it. Stills is listed at 6'1", but I'm not sure he's over 6' in reality. Hopefully the new TEs can get up to speed early, because I really don't like having a stable of small receivers.

JMP
Admin

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:20 pm

Totally agree re:Carroo.

He's done here.

Grant, by media accounts, has impressed this offseason. Given his late surge in 2017 I would not be surprised if he EARNS more playing time.

IMO, Parker (if he continues past trend) will be the one to give up snaps.

One sliver of opportunity for Ford, if he manages to beat out Carro and the others (I think he has a good chance to do it). Amendola gets hurt quite often. There's a 50-50 chance he actually gets hurt this pre-season, allowing another WR to sneak onto the roster, at least until he's healthy again.

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif on Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:33 pm

I think they may see Ford as a kind of Rishard Matthews type of WR. A good route runner, decent size, good hands and can catch the ball over the middle. If they keep more than 5, he may be number 6. Agreed on caroo being adios.
scotgif

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:20 pm

white1 wrote:
Grant, by media accounts, has impressed this offseason. Given his late surge in 2017 I would not be surprised if he EARNS more playing time.  

I just don't see any way Grant gets snaps over the 4 guys ahead of him. He's too small to handle every-down duties, and with his skillset he's more of a gimmick/situational player than a guy that's going to eat up a lot of snaps. I could be wrong, but I don't think there's ever been an NFL player at his size that was used as anything more than a minimal role player. In fact, I'm not sure there's ever been an NFL player under 5'6" that's done much of anything.

I do agree with both you and scot that Ford has a shot to be the #6 receiver...I just don't think we're keeping 6 receivers. He's really just a JAG in terms of skillset IMHO, but we don't exactly have a dominating WR group so you never know.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic on Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:02 am

Used correctly, where Grant's speed forces a defense to at the very least WORRY about that side of the field, a speed threat can open up things for the offense IMO.

Trouble is, you can't let Grant be a normal WR due to his size disparity.

Grant has to get open and run routes where the defensive player has to have help to prevent his speed from burning the defense.

I do not think Grant should be the focal point at WR, but against some teams, he might be more involved in the game plan than he has been in the past IMO.

Grant used in the red zone on sweeps and swing passes SHOULD open up things for the other receivers IMO.

finfanatic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:47 pm

finfanatic wrote:Used correctly, where Grant's speed forces a defense to at the very least WORRY about that side of the field, a speed threat can open up things for the offense IMO.

Trouble is, you can't let Grant be a normal WR due to his size disparity.

Grant has to get open and run routes where the defensive player has to have help to prevent his  speed from burning the defense.

I do not think Grant should be the focal point at WR, but against some teams, he might be more involved in the game plan than he has been in the past IMO.

Grant used in the red zone on sweeps and swing passes SHOULD open up things for the other receivers IMO.

Yeah, I think you just have to pick your spots with Grant. I think he probably gets 5-10 snaps on offense per week, depending on the opponent and situations. I think they'll mostly use him on trick/gimmick plays, jet sweeps and Gase's famous bubble screens, and in bunched sets (I hate bunched sets...), with the occasional fly or other deep route.

But there's 4 receivers ahead of Grant that, while not great, are better players that are capable of playing every down. Add in the two TEs plus the three RBs, and there's simply not a lot of snaps for Grant.

Plus, every time Grant steps on the field, even as a returner, there's a higher injury risk for him than for other players. He's not just small...he's tiny. Any big hit he takes is potentially devastating, and that's not a knock on him - it's just reality.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down