Death of NFL? Blame Goodell

Go down

Death of NFL? Blame Goodell

Post by white1 on Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:08 am

IMO the following story simply underscores the absurd incompetence of NFL Commissioner Goodell.

Yes, the "anthem issue" is complicated. Yes, it is emotionally charged. Yes, the fan base is not happy with players who have kneeled in protest.

This is exactly why the Commissioner is compensated with a multi-million dollar annual salary.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/19/dolphins-could-suspend-players-for-anthem-violations-in-theory/

So, here we are. YEARS AFTER THE FIRST KNEELING DEMONSTRATION. Training camp is around the corner, fans everywhere are eagerly awaiting news and the beginning of the preseason, marking an unofficial end to the doldrums of summer sports.

And what do we get? A damn story on the *STILL UNRESOLVED* issue of how to handle the pre-game anthem.

It's mind boggling. If I ran my fantasy league like this, I would have long since been fired. And I'm not even compensated for serving as commissioner.

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Death of NFL? Blame Goodell

Post by DolFan 316 on Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:25 am

Human history has show repeatedly that no group, no matter how large or far-reaching in scope it got, has been too big to die. Ask people in Macedonia or Mongolia about that. Or just go across the pond and ask the Brits.

I've been calling him Badell for years, long before anyone else recognized his sheer incompetence. But he's not the sole reason the NFL is on the decline for the first time in at least 60 years, not by a long shot. It's been a group effort, and the players themselves are a huge part of it. Also, let's not forget that he's being kept on as commissioner because the owners are just that corrupt and self-serving.

The anthem thing (which the media is determined to keep going regardless of what anyone does or doesn't do or say for nefarious reasons of their own) is just a small part of the overall problem. I could list all the other parts, but I don't have half an hour to spare at the moment.

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea on Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:53 pm

what worse is that miami put out a statement saying they will suspend players that protest. Miami PR is horrible. I also hope that all the players kneel and miami will have to forfeit four games

rightchea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:34 pm

Go back to having the players inside the locker rooms for the National Anthem like they did before 9/11. There is currently very little to be all nationalistic about, so, no need for the dog-and-pony we-support-the-troops nonsense. Of course we all support the troops, and the government supports 'em so much that . . . I'll just leave that opinion off the table for now.

Goodell has been instrumental in allowing the culture change in the NFL. The NFL currently has a huge image problem. The product on the field is terrible. Those of us that are old enough to remember pre-Goodell football can easily tell the difference between the game now and then. The rules are a fucking mess. How many times do you hear on TV, "I don't know what a catch is anymore," by the announcers? At least three or four times every single week. Using antiquated technologies, the richest sport in the USA refuses to put extra cameras in places that would make the game much more accurately officiated. Why? Gambling, that's why. You can't fix a game that's too well overseen. Then again, I'm sure I'm just a conspiracy theorist and all the hundreds of interviews of mob guys about fixing of sports are all just "fake news" and fixing games is just a fluke that only one guy once in the NBA did, and every other official and player is beyond reproach because we all know young men with ego complexes that are treated like gods make great decisions all the time.

Lots to say, pretty sure it would get too political and cause some friction.

The anthem thing is ridiculous and easy to solve, and much like nearly every issue in this country, it's not even close to the real issue, just a really easy one to take sides on. Keep it simple for the moronic populace who languishes in identity politics like . . . I said I wasn't gonna do this. My apologies.

People are fuckin' idiots nowadays. Sensationalist, drama-whore idiots.
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:09 pm

Call me anti-American, but I don't give a good goddamn if someone stands, kneels, or fingers their ass during the National Anthem.  Someone else's reactions to the anthem have nothing to do with me or my everyday life, and quite frankly I have bigger fish to fry in my own life.

If people want to protest the flag for a valid reason, fine.  If people want to kneel because they're clueless jackasses, fine.  I'm not paying an arm and a leg for NFL Sunday Ticket to watch players do whatever the hell they do during the National Anthem.  I couldn't give less of a fuck.

Anyway, the modern NFL is watered down.  We all know that.  Goodell is a trainwreck, and we all know that too.  But we're still here anyway.

Last edited by JMP on Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea on Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:10 am

I gonna be honest and a lot of yall might not like what I am about to say but a lot of what happening is because Trump stuck his business into what happen with the anthem. the nfl owners are scared of Trump and making it hard for many of them to think for themselves.

I also blame Badell as well. He has cause the NFL to look completely different to the point where people don't want to watch. Safety is key but there is a point where it runs the game

rightchea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:46 pm

JMP wrote:Call me anti-American
Anyone calling you that on this issue needs to get a grip on reality, and maybe read a book or twelve on American history, politics, culture, and rights.

JMP wrote:But we're still here anyway.
I'm here, but I, and many others have stopped pouring money into the NFL.  I dropped Sunday Ticket 2 years ago.  I haven't bought anything Dolphins related for 10 years.  i haven't been to a game in a long time either, it's not worth the money to me.  

All of us are still here because we know that the game is fixable, and one day another Tagliabue will take over and make the game fun again.

rightchea wrote:I gonna be honest and a lot of yall might not like what I am about to say but a lot of what happening is because Trump stuck his business into what happen with the anthem. the nfl owners are scared of Trump and making it hard for many of them to think for themselves.

I also blame Badell as well. He has cause the NFL to look completely different to the point where people don't want to watch. Safety is key but there is a point where it runs the game

Trump's involvement in this is ridiculous.  It's not a national issue, it's a created false rage, misplaced anger, classic projection syndrome.  If someone is upset, fine, but this level of bullshit?  No way, you'd have to be off your rocker to be actually upset about something this benign.  I mean, people will still watch the game when it's full of rapists, murderers, gang bangers, druggies, wife beaters, and Methodists (thank you Mel Brooks), but if they kneel for the flag they're outraged?  Bullshit.  They're angry about something else and this is a face for that rage.
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:12 am

Great posts.

Goodell has been instrumental in allowing the culture change in the NFL. The NFL currently has a huge image problem. The product on the field is terrible. Those of us that are old enough to remember pre-Goodell football can easily tell the difference between the game now and then. The rules are a fucking mess.

Exactly right. And I agree with your next point. The game is fixable, rules are reviewed every year. What we need is a new commissioner, because literally everything is going the wrong way under Goodell.

Let the owners feel any financial impact (they haven't yet, from what I can tell) and it will happen quickly. They won't stand for reduced profits.

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris on Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:21 pm

I view the National Anthem like saying grace at the dinner table. Some people say grace and some don't but it's polite to follow along when someone says grace. Part of America's problem is the lack of being polite.

If players want to go out and burn the flag, stomp on the flag, or shit on the flag after a game or during the week then go do it. During their time dressed in the uniform follow the NFL rules/team rules and be polite.

CarsonChris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:16 am

Peter King did a nice job talking about the anthem issue in FMIA this morning. He also blames Goodell for failing to handle it.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/13/jimmy-garoppolo-49ers-camp-fmia-peter-king/

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down