Dolphins offensive line off to shaky start

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Dolphins offensive line off to shaky start

Post by rightchea on Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:34 pm

Chris Perkins wrote:Miami Dolphins offensive line coach Jeremiah Washburn hasn’t been pleased with what he’s seen from his group in the first four days of training camp.
“We’re not near where we need to be,” Washburn said Saturday. “I think [coach] Adam [Gase] probably said the same thing yesterday. But I do like our group. It’s a good group of guys and they’re working hard. But in terms of production, we’re not near where we need to be — protections, run game and screens.”

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-ol-20180729-story.html#

I hate hearing "we have a great group of guys" and they are not producing. Who care if they are a great group if the group can't get the job done.

Another issue for me is, if the DL can get pass the OL with no issues then that means they aren't trying hard enough and isn't making them better. if the OL can't help the DL then both sides suffer.

rightchea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dolphins offensive line off to shaky start

Post by scotgif on Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:35 pm

Once again, people over react to a couple practices. For one, the media does not see every practice and the ones they do see, they do not see the entire session. Let's just see how things play out, let's say after one or two preseason games to begin to gather any type of prognostications on how any particular group or person is doing.
scotgif

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:43 pm

I’m still angry with Tunsil, he better play lights out this season.

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:31 pm

white1 wrote:I’m still angry with Tunsil, he better play lights out this season.

You mean the guy who fell in the draft because he was dumb enough to video himself toking in a bong mask hasn't been as good a player as people thought??? I'm shocked, SHOCKED I say! Shocked Rolling Eyes

Here's the sad part--Tunsil's actually been the second best player drafted out of *that* school since 2014. Not only did Mr. Freeze cheat in a very hamhanded way, his recruits don't even seem to be panning out at the NFL level at all.

http://pfref.com/tiny/QOwWr

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:49 pm

scotgif wrote:Once again, people over react to a couple practices. For one, the media does not see every practice and the ones they do see, they do not see the entire session. Let's just see how things play out, let's say after one or two preseason games to begin to gather any type of prognostications on how any particular group or person is doing.

I see what you're saying, scot, but it's been YEARS and YEARS and YEARS since the Phins have had even a decent OL. They make big changes along the OL every offseason - adding both coaches and players - and talk incessantly about how this year will be different and the OL will be great. Well, here we are again, and it's STILL not fixed. Yes, it's early and things can improve...but it's a major kick to the balls to read about OL problems when we've been promised once again that things would be different.

Hopefully they get it right this season...but I can't even remember how many times I've said that, and it never works out.

JMP
Admin

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:55 am

I agree with everyone in this thread.

My impression of the situation is that it is too early to tell just how badly they're going to suck.
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan on Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:12 am

The entire Dolphins offense got pushed around by the defense. Adam Gase’s unit didn’t win a single 11-on-11 period of the first full-padded practice, which featured red-zone, third-down and situational work.

Defensive ends Robert Quinn and Cameron Wake set the tone for the defense’s dominant day by consistently pushing Miami’s offensive tackles around, owning the line of scrimmage. Tannehill was flushed out of his spot on roughly half his throws Monday.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-stock-report-20180730-story.html

and the frustrating thing is those D-ends will do it to the Phins O-line, but then won't be able to do it to anybody else's.

OG Ted Larsen got plenty of first-team reps because Josh Sitton sat out a good portion of Monday’s practice.

so is the big FA addition hurt? is this more of the endless O-line tinkering? or perhaps he is not as good as advertised and he's in a real competition with Larson for the spot?

mercury22nathan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:22 am

On Sitton: I read he had his calf wrapped. "Tweaked it". Probably being careful to ensure it doesn't turn into a more serious injury.

Regardless of what happens with Sitton, that won't fix the core of the problem. Both James and Tunsil appear to have been overdrafted. They are underwhelming, and two 1st round picks at T SHOULD be a dominant combo. Far from it.

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:23 am

"Adam Gase’s unit didn’t win a single 11-on-11 period of the first full-padded practice"

Shocked That's just embarrassing. Looks like the "offensive guru" is at it again...

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic on Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:09 pm

Well, I ain't expecting much from the team this season anyway, but DADGUM!!!! Let's give's a pre-season game or two before we start with the "They Suck more than we expected them to suck!!!"

With this many changes to the O-line, there are BOUND to be problems.

And yes, I doubt Tunsil and James are gonna turn out to be great, but they shouldn't be getting beaten like traffic cones by Quinn and Wake either!

I am just hoping to be PLEASANTLY Surprised, not horrifically Surprised by the state of the team.

That remains to be seen tho.

finfanatic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:38 pm

finfanatic wrote:Let's give's a pre-season game or two before we start with the "They Suck more than we expected them to suck!!!"

With this many changes to the O-line, there are BOUND to be problems.

Absolutely...but wouldn't it be great to hear - just once - "the OL dominated practice today, as huge holes were opened in the running game and the QB wasn't even touched by a defender". Nope, instead it's just more of the same: "OL gets pushed around again". pale Same shit, different season.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:25 pm

finfanatic wrote:Let's give's a pre-season game or two before we start with the "They Suck more than we expected them to suck!!!"

I can patiently wait while hope and expectation catch up with reality.
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan on Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:03 am

the o-line is still at it. they're trying to end this season before it even begins.

Ryan Tannehill back to pass in a red-zone offense. Cameron Wake with a strong rush. Tannehill throws early over the middle to avoid the rush and it is intercepted by Kiko Alonso, who would have a Pick-6. Wake runs over Tannehill. The quarterback stays on the ground for a few extra seconds before getting up and walking gingerly.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/dave-hyde-blog/fl-sp-hyde5-dolphins-practice-20180801-story.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+DaveHyde-blog+%28Dave+Hyde+%7C+Sun+Sentinel+blogs%29

and its not just the tackles, the interior is struggling as well.

DT Vincent Taylor burst through the line, causing a 2-yard loss on a run by RB Brandon Radcliff during an 11-on-11 drill.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-stock-report-20180801-story.html

so whats going on?

The left side, where Sitton and Tunsil usually line up against defensive tackle Jordan Phillips and defensive end Robert Quinn, has had its share of issues.

Sitton, a 32-year-old, four-time Pro Bowl selection, has won lots of battles against Phillips and the other tackles in pass protection. But Phillips has made his presence known a few times in the run game.

Tunsil, the 2016 first-round pick, has struggled against Quinn in pass protection, where Quinn’s unique ability to turn the corner with his hips and knees close to the ground, have caused problems.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-notes-20180801-story.html

maybe Tunsil just isn't cut out to be a LT in the pros. perhaps his best career path is at OG? or maybe he could play RT, cause is seems our current RT can't do it.

The team ran Sam Young at right tackle to open 11-on-11 work. Ja’Wuan James is at practice and dressed, but a trainer was tending to his back while the first-team offense was on the field.

James has stayed on the field, but isn’t taking any reps.

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2018/08/01/miami-dolphins-2018-training-camp-report-day-6-updates/

RT Ja’Wuan James didn’t participate in 11-on-11 drills because of what Gase called a “muscle strain.”

uuuugggghhhh.

mercury22nathan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:57 am

Like I said: same shit, different season...Tunsil sucks, James is banged up, and the new FA additions are not living up to their hype. It's literally the same exact story year after year...the names change, but the results don't.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:11 am

Here's what Armando said in a tweet about Sitton this morning:

Armando wrote:Josh Sitton hasn't been practicing because Adam Gase doesn't want to eat up limited number of reps he's got in him. Not working in team period today either.

OK...so the guy we signed to a big FA contract to essentially fix the OL only has a "limited number of reps in him" and Gase is afraid to give him practice reps? Pouncey killed the OL last season by being unable to practice - are we going to have the same situation with Sitton?

I know Sitton has missed a few games the past two seasons, but if he's so fragile that the head coach is afraid to let him practice...well, that just doesn't sound good at all.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:26 pm

I guarantee you, if Sitton does not get enough reps, he will be injured and out for the season in the first couple weeks.  You have to be ready for hitting on Week 1, and that takes getting your body back to being ready for the abuse.  If he cannot build that resistance, then he will break like a twig.

Also, I'm sorry I'm being very negative in my posts lately, at least it looks that way.  I really want us to do well, but I am too old to bullshit myself about this anymore.  Hope has never done shit for me other than give me a brief reprieve, followed by the crushing agony of reality.
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea on Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:15 am

preseason for Miami is only 3 days away let see what happens

rightchea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:55 pm

Degarmo wrote:

Also, I'm sorry I'm being very negative in my posts lately, at least it looks that way.  I really want us to do well, but I am too old to bullshit myself about this anymore.  Hope has never done shit for me other than give me a brief reprieve, followed by the crushing agony of reality.

Yep, same here. For me, it's all about Gase. I think he's a total fraud and I don't think he knows how to run a football team. I just can't have any faith in this team as long as he's in charge.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:49 pm

Gase and Philbin have the same eyes. They look lost and a little scared.
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:51 pm

rightchea wrote:preseason for Miami is only 3 days away let see what happens

That's probably the best way to look at it. I always enjoy watching the new guys trying to make a team.
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif on Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:14 pm

Degarmo wrote:

I pretty much feel the same way, but with a slightly different M.O. I still refuse to get my heart broken by this team any more, but with a new twist. I still root for them to win (early in the year) while we are still "in the race", but after week 8, if we are under 500, say 3 and 5, I pretty much just say fuck it. I've seen this movie too many times.

Another new twist for me is that I now live in SoFla once again. Actually around 20 minutes from the stadium, so I definitely will be going to as many games as I can, especially while we are still "in the race".

Like most of us here, we are now from Kansas, when it comes to out favorite team, SHOW ME.

That said, I am very interested in seeing how the new additions and some of the holdovers progress.

The first scrimmage is tomorrow. I don't see me attending this. It is pretty much just a glorified practice and I hear the coaches are not even sure if they will allow tackling in the "scrimmage" part of the practice.
scotgif

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:42 am

scotgif wrote:I pretty much feel the same way, but with a slightly different M.O. I still refuse to get my heart broken by this team any more, but with a new twist. I still root for them to win (early in the year) while we are still "in the race", but after week 8, if we are under 500, say 3 and 5, I pretty much just say fuck it. I've seen this movie too many times.

This is basically all I was saying for years and years but when I did it I got dubbed the Potentate Of Pessimism. Oh well. Laughing

[quote]Like most of us here, we are now from Kansas, when it comes to out favorite team, SHOW ME./quote]

Wait...I thought Missouri was the Show Me state scratch Do Kansas and Missouri still have that rivalry thing going on BTW?

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea on Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:31 pm

if the fins are disappointing this year at least I have madden

rightchea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan on Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:52 am

because we should post the good about the OL too...

OG Josh Sitton has been consistent all camp, but he’s beginning to burrow open running lanes on the left side of Miami’s offensive line.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-stock-report-20180806-story.html

but is this sudden improvement because...

Davon Godchaux started at defensive tackle during team drills for the fourth consecutive day, instead of Jordan Phillips and next to Akeem Spence. Phllips had a sack on Brock Osweiler on Monday.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article215846805.html

Davone Godchaux, who is beginning his second week paired with Akeem Spence as the Dolphins’ starting defensive tackles, got moved out his gap routinely during Monday’s practice.

...he's now facing an inferior opponent.

and because you must take the OL good with the bad...

Robert Quinn had two would-be sacks on Monday, ending Laremy Tunsil’s streak of strong practices.

mercury22nathan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:03 am

I'm still wondering why the team is so high on Godchaux...I just haven't seen anything from him that makes me think he's more than mediocre. It seems like the Phins are planning to use a full-time rotation at DT, and that's probably best for Godchaux...I don't see him as a legit every-down starter, at all.

Sitton will be fine - if he stays healthy. Age will catch up with him sooner than later, but he's a solid player.

Tunsil, on the other hand...I don't think he'll ever live up to his pre-draft hype.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next