OL concern - Daniel Kilgore

Go down

OL concern - Daniel Kilgore

Post by JMP on Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:27 am

The starting OL has looked pretty good so far in pass protection in the first two preseason games. Run blocking has been very up and down.

But, I did want to point out something disturbing that I've noticed: new center Daniel Kilgore seems very weak at the point of attack. Specifically, a couple of times I've seen him get pushed back easily when bull-rushed by a large DT. Let's face it - every DT he faces will likely be bigger and stronger than him (he's under 300 pounds), and the last thing Tannehill needs is the pocket collapsing right in front of him.

Has anyone else had a chance to look at Kilgore? Merc - have you noticed the same thing I'm seeing?

JMP
Admin

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: OL concern - Daniel Kilgore

Post by CarsonChris on Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:12 pm

Baltimore will be a good barometer!

CarsonChris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:06 pm

Kilgore looked awful against Baltimore, IMO. Again, consistently got pushed back - and gave up an ugly sack. At this point, he's a big downgrade from Pouncey as far as I can see.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:59 am

CarsonChris wrote:Baltimore will be a good barometer!

So when he gave up that sack, could it have been considered...barometric pressure?

I'll see myself out now...

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan on Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:13 am

for sure Kilgore is on the smaller size and i think he's gonna need help with the bigger DTs. the Phins did use some double team blocks with Kilgore and Davis. on the second Tannehill sack, it was Kilgore's man that made the tackle, but i don't believe the sack was Kilgore's fault. the edge rusher blew right past James forcing Tannehill to step up into the arms of Kilgore's man - who simply slipped down the line...something i don't think Kilgore could've prevented. Kilgore did make some nice athletic plays where he pulled to the second level and sealed the LB. this is probably where his value will be as yes, he is not going to be a ground-pounding road grader. his ability against large DT maybe a liability, but i'm going to hold final judgement until the real games start.

mercury22nathan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:07 pm

Thanks for your thoughts, merc - always great to hear your OL views.

I looked at the Kilgore sack again, and I see what you mean...James did completely whiff on his man, and Tannehill stepped up and walked right into Kilgore's man as a result. But, I still think Kilgore got pushed back and did nothing to slow his man down.

This preseason, I think Tunsil and Sitton have been mostly fine on the left side...but I have definite concerns with the other three starters. I've already mentionbed Kilgore, and Davis and James are both maddeningly inconsistent - looking great one play, and getting beat easily the next. Regardless, I just hope this starting 5 stays healthy, because the depth behind it is scary.

The primary backup tackles (Young, Sterup and Smith) have all been unimpressive to my eyes - especially Sterup, who seems to get beat on nearly every down. I had high hopes for Smith, but he's still a work in progress for sure.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:45 am

James did completely whiff on his man, and Tannehill stepped up and walked right into Kilgore's man as a result.

Never thought I would say this but Tunsil may actually turn into a LT worthy of the 1st rounder we invested. James? I've seen nothing to suggest he is anything other than a huge bust at RT.

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:26 am

And after I bash Sterup, I read about how Gase praised him yesterday for his consistency! LOL He looks consistently bad to me, but it seems like he's got a roster spot locked.

As for Tunsil, I'm not convinced he'll ever live up to his draft hype. At this point, I just hope he turns into a solid player...I don't see him becoming a perennial Pro Bowler.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:54 am

JMP wrote:And after I bash Sterup, I read about how Gase praised him yesterday for his consistency!  LOL  He looks consistently bad to me, but it seems like he's got a roster spot locked.

As for Tunsil, I'm not convinced he'll ever live up to his draft hype.  At this point, I just hope he turns into a solid player...I don't see him becoming a perennial Pro Bowler.

There's apparently something about LTs from Ole Miss that convinces everyone they're Hall Of Famers in the making before being exposed in the NFL as not actually that good.

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic on Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:11 pm

I agree, the O-line is still showing signs of inconsistency, even after supposedly dumping the dumbbutts that were considered the cause of the inconsistency in prior years?

But now...They all look good one play, and then on the next, two or there of them screw the pooch in a decidedly unwholesome manner!!

And again...if anything happens to a starter, the whole O-line goes in the shytter for some unknown reason. Not just the backup, all of them seem to LOWER their level of play to backups level??

Tunsil? Anybody dumb enough to get photo-ed wearing a bongmask is a perpetual dipshyte IMHO. I doubt anyone with that level of dumb will ever live up to their potential.

James? He is decent, but does look like he takes way too many plays off IMO.

So far, you would have to say the new additions are not living up to expectations either.

Which is something rudimentary for the Phins: TYPICAL.

finfanatic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down