Third preseason game

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: Third preseason game

Post by JMP on Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:44 am

Fantastic move by the Saints. Brees is almost 40, and now they've secured his replacement - a young QB who is already talented, and now gets to learn behind a Hall of Famer in a very QB-friendly system. Very forward-thinking move by the Saints.

Great move for the Jets as well, getting a 3rd for a QB they signed off the streets just a few months ago and had no plans to use. That's smart football.

JMP
Admin

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:47 am

As for Ross - conspiracy theories or not, he was majorly pissed off after last season, and regardless of how wishy washy he's been in the past I think he is ready to clean house if the team has another crappy season. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's the impression I got. Even Ross will have to realize that Tannenbaum is a joke and Gase is a fraud if they shit the bed again.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan on Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:07 am

mercury22nathan wrote:so i was wondering about this too.  how and why did Spence just get handed a starting job?  Godchaux and Phillips are competing to see who starts next to him.  i thought Spence was brought in as depth with a chance to compete with Godchaux (and possibly Taylor) to start next to Phillips?

i found the answer to my own question.

Some are wondering why Vincent Taylor isn’t getting first team snaps when he has made more impact plays than any Dolphins defensive tackle, with Jordan Phillips right behind him.

Miami feels confidence in Akeem Spence – who played for defensive line coach Kris Kocurek in Detroit –and Davon Godchaux, and Dolphins people downplay the issue of who’s starting because they play to rotate defensive linemen.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article217331465.html

its the old, "but this guy played for us before" thing.

mercury22nathan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:25 am

I totally forgot about the Kocurek-Spence connection. Lame. It'll be a shame if Spence makes the team over Langford, because Langford has shown more in less time.

I'm still waiting to see just what the Phins see in Godchaux - because it doesn't show in games. Taylor looks like the MUCH better player.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan on Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:41 am

JMP wrote:Taylor looks like the MUCH better player.

then you'll be happy to know Gase thinks highly of Taylor...

“As soon as you put pads on, he seems to show up,” Gase said of Taylor. “He’s the kind of guy that he’s an old-school football player. He does a great job. When it gets physical, I think he enjoys that. He’s got a knack for getting his hands on kicks [as he did in blocking a field goal last Saturday]. There’s a lot of value in that. To me, that’s a turnover for you, because you’re getting great field position, you’re preventing points. That’s something that can help us.”

...but thinks his real value comes by blocking kicks on specials teams. Shocked

mercury22nathan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:16 pm

Hey, I'm just happy Gase even knows who Taylor is. At least he's not entirely ignoring STs and D! Wink

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:09 pm

Degarmo wrote:I CAN'T EVEN ENTICE YOU WITH CONSPIRACY THEORIES 316?

What is this world coming to, indeed Wink.

Relax Degarmo, I just had other things to do at that time Wink At this point a conspiracy is literally the only explanation as to how the Pats could rule this division far longer than any team has ruled any division/conference in NFL history. Not only that but the Bills and Jets are in on it too IMO. It really would take a concerted effort by the "competition" to fail. We've seen 10-year stretches of dominance, but the Pats are working on 20 Shocked

mercury22nathan wrote:...but thinks his real value comes by blocking kicks on specials teams.  Shocked

And this is why Gase needs to go. For whatever reason, he's repeatedly shown to be incapable of properly assessing his players' true talent level until circumstances force him to play someone, which doesn't happen until after the team loses multiple games.

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif on Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:00 pm

HalCHorn wrote:
What more needs to be said?

If something does, well, put it this way: Our last two third round picks were Baker and Tankersley.  Tell me you wouldn't trade either one of them for Bridgewater right now.

There is no way gase will ever bring in anyone to actually compete with Tanny or even push him to be a better version of himself (if that is even possible?). The LAST thing gase wants to hear is the "We want -insert backup QB name- chants" when Tanny struggles.
scotgif

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn on Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:34 am

scotgif wrote:
HalCHorn wrote:
What more needs to be said?

If something does, well, put it this way: Our last two third round picks were Baker and Tankersley.  Tell me you wouldn't trade either one of them for Bridgewater right now.

There is no way gase will ever bring in anyone to actually compete with Tanny or even push him to be a better version of himself (if that is even possible?). The LAST thing gase wants to hear is the "We want -insert backup QB name- chants" when Tanny struggles.

Exactly. The same thought process Wanny used to have, didn't want to have anyone at backup who might be perceived as a "threat" to Fiedler and cause a "Controversy". The experience with the Bears apparently taught him that having zero QB's was better than having two.

When I see a guy thinking exactly like Dave Wannstedt, that really isn't bolstering one's reputation as an "offensive genius" or "QB guru".

HalCHorn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:25 am

Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic on Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:03 am

DG - The Parcells thing would NEVER have worked out IMHO. He wa stuck in the past. He drafted a LT at #1 overall instead of a potential franchise QB. No way what Parcells was trying to build would work with the new "offense first" rules the league has now. Nuff said IMO.

DF316 - Paxton Lynch at Backup QB? The guy who couldn't beat out a Northwestern QB? Tee hee hee....

I agree...the team stinks on ice! Why in heck they keep the guys they keep and cut the other ones is incredibly perplexing!

At this point, the best LB on the team might be TJ McDonald!! I would even be okay going to a 4 2 1 sort of defense and let TJ be the "roamer" LB.

Every game I keep wondering if Matt Burk is the illegitimate son of Tom Olivadotti!!! The mid 80's version of Olivadotti! EGAD!!!

Understand bend but don't break, but a defense where you have to HOPE the QB is inaccurate seems to be counter-intuitive to defensive philosophy.

Anyway...I stand by my early prediction. 6 wins from this team would be miraculous I am thinking.

finfanatic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:01 am

DG - The Parcells thing would NEVER have worked out IMHO. He wa stuck in the past. He drafted a LT at #1 overall instead of a potential franchise QB. No way what Parcells was trying to build would work with the new "offense first" rules the league has now. Nuff said IMO.

Yeah. Parcells missed on Ryan. Wannstedt (and Saban) passed on Brees. Our "luck" at QB summed up over the past four regimes.

DF316 - Paxton Lynch at Backup QB? The guy who couldn't beat out a Northwestern QB? Tee hee hee....

I agree...the team stinks on ice! Why in heck they keep the guys they keep and cut the other ones is incredibly perplexing!

It almost doesn't matter. None of our backups appear to be as good as Matt Moore was. How quickly the team turns a blind eye to the playoff run HE DELIVERED when Tanny went down. I'm with the quote someone else posted. If Tanny goes down, let's see a true implosion. Maybe that sweeps this regime out the door, with the draft position for a competent front office to rebuild the roster quickly.

At this point, the best LB on the team might be TJ McDonald!! I would even be okay going to a 4 2 1 sort of defense and let TJ be the "roamer" LB.

Ugh. Our linebacker corps. Looked weak BEFORE Hull went down. At least he provided special teams contribution, and decent depth. I really hope Baker works out for us, and quickly.

Every game I keep wondering if Matt Burk is the illegitimate son of Tom Olivadotti!!! The mid 80's version of Olivadotti! EGAD!!!

So much was "broken" last season I'm going to go ahead and grant him a pass on how bad our defense played in 2017. This year there are no such excuses. All gone. He better show me some solid schemes, and huge improvement against the run, pass and rushing the passer. I give him to week 4 before my first grade comes out. He has no slack from me. None. If he's so effing smart he better figure out how to structure and call an effective defense. Starting now.

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:46 pm

I just have to say one thing: I like this new tough-talking no-nonsense White1 cheers cheers cheers

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2