TE MarQueis Gray on IR with torn Achilles; Derby is the new starter

Go down

Gray Out for Season

Post by white1 on Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:36 pm

We lost Marquis Gray to achilles tear. Happened during 1-1 non contact drill.

Our luck continues...

https://twitter.com/AdamHBeasley/status/1037723972740308994

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

TE MarQueis Gray on IR with torn Achilles; Derby is the new starter

Post by JMP on Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:39 pm

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-gavin-escobar-20180906-story.html

Dolphins starting tight end MarQueis Gray is done for the 2018 season after tearing his Achilles tendon in Wednesday’s practice

Gray was placed on injured reserve on Thursday, and the Dolphins re-signed tight end Gavin Escobar in a corresponding move.

Gray’s injury could affect head coach Adam Gase’s game plan for the season opener against the Tennessee Titans on Sunday at 1 p.m. in Hard Rock Stadium.

The Dolphins will turn to A.J. Derby, a four-year veteran, as the starting tight end, and rookie Mike Gesicki as the backup.

I feel bad for Gray...Gase said recently that he would have a bigger role in the offense this season. Sucks.

But what's with this "starting TE" crap??? Gray the starter, and now Derby is the starter??? Does Gase truly believe that he's tricking the Titans by labeling Gesicki a "backup"? I hate crap like this...trying to play mind games instead of just lining up and playing football. News flash: Gesicki is the most talented TE we've had in YEARS, and there's no way he's taking a backseat to a scrub like Derby.

JMP
Admin

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: TE MarQueis Gray on IR with torn Achilles; Derby is the new starter

Post by white1 on Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:43 pm

Hmm I actually see a ton of 2 TE sets, but in 1 TE formations I would fully expect Derby to get the nod - based on blocking.

If we want to run the ball (IMO gives us the best chance to win, we use run heavy playcalling and work play action/rollouts off that) we have to have a TE that blocks well.

Additionally, cannot "telegraph" run vs pass - which is what happens in a 1 TE set with Gesicki on the field.

My forecast is a ton of 2 TE formations, keeping the defense guessing on run vs pass, especially in the red zone. Technically, that makes Derby the starter but who cares? Just a label anyways.

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:03 pm

white1 wrote:Hmm I actually see a ton of 2 TE sets, but in 1 TE formations I would fully expect Derby to get the nod - based on blocking.

If we want to run the ball (IMO gives us the best chance to win, we  use run heavy playcalling and work play action/rollouts off that) we have to have a TE that blocks well.

Additionally, cannot "telegraph" run vs pass - which is what happens in a 1 TE set with Gesicki on the field.

My forecast is a ton of 2 TE formations, keeping the defense guessing on run vs pass, especially in the red zone.  Technically, that makes Derby the starter but who cares? Just a label anyways.

I don't view Derby as a particularly good blocker, so unless Smythe is ready to take on a large role I think we'll continue to see mostly 1 TE sets.

My fear is that the Dolphins won't give Gesicki a larger role until he proves he can be an adequate blocker. I think it would be a huge mistake to keep hi on the bench.

So to me, Smythe is the key. I haven't really heard anything about him all offseason, and he was mostly invisible in the preseason games. With Gray out, Smythe is our only legit blocker...and if he's not ready, I just don't see us using many 2 TE formations early in the season.

But who knows...

JMP
Admin

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:47 pm

Put Asiata out there, he's got to be good at something.
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:34 pm

[quote="JMP"]http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-gavin-escobar-20180906-story.html

But what's with this "starting TE" crap???  Gray the starter, and now Derby is the starter???  Does Gase truly believe that he's tricking the Titans by labeling Gesicki a "backup"?  I hate crap like this...trying to play mind games instead of just lining up and playing football.  News flash: Gesicki is the most talented TE we've had in YEARS, and there's no way he's taking a backseat to a scrub like Derby.

I wish it was just mind games. This is the same coach who insisted on starting Dallas Thomas ahead of Tunsil for multiple games because in Gase's mind, rookies have to 'earn' the spot, or something Rolling Eyes The only reason Baker's starting is because there's literally nobody else. Gesicki won't be starting until the Fins are eliminated from playoff contention in mid-October and then suddenly Gase will realize his mistake.

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:53 pm

Mid-October, I see what you did there Very Happy
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content