The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Titans at Phins predictions

+2
mercury22nathan
JMP
6 posters

Go down

Titans at Phins predictions Empty Titans at Phins predictions

Post by JMP Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:19 am

So what do you guys think?  Do we start the 2018 season with a win?

I'm really torn on this one...not sure what to expect from either team.  The Titans have a new coaching staff with new offensive and defensive systems, and struggled in preseason.  The Phins have reshaped their coaching staff and roster, and struggled in preseason.  On paper, these teams appear to be pretty evenly matched IMO.

Two things I do know: the Titans can run the ball - and the Phins will struggle against the run.  It is absolutely imperative that Miami jump out to an early lead in order to prevent the Titans from running at will.  It's also vital that the Phins generate a consistent pass rush to keep Mariota in the pocket - where he is less effective.  If they let Mariota roll out, he'll slice them apart.  Fortunately, the Titans will be without RT Jack Conklin, which could set Cam Wake up for a big day.  I'm also worried about Titans' RB Dion Lewis and TE Delanie Walker...both have the ability to shred a Miami D that always has trouble covering RBs and TEs.

The Titans have some studs on defense, but the Phins should be able to move the ball.  The question is, will the Phins' offense sleepwalk through the first half, as they usually do under Gase, or will they come out strong?  That could well determine the outcome of the game.

I'm going to predict a sloppy but hard-fought field goal battle, with the Phins winning late by a score of 19-16.

Last edited by JMP on Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Titans at Phins predictions Empty Re: Titans at Phins predictions

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:29 am

i really want to believe, but i can't. this team has to prove it. but hey, if i don't have false hope, what do i have with this team?

Miami - 26
Titans - 24

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:11 am

Titans win 30-10 as the D gives up 236 yards rushing. Also, two players are hurt for extended periods of time.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:05 am

I'm going to predict a sloppy but hard-fought field goal battle, with the Phins winning late by a score of 19-16.

That's how I'm feeling. Especially in the South Florida heat. Edge goes to the Fins.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:37 am

white1 wrote:

That's how I'm feeling.  Especially in the South Florida heat.  Edge goes to the Fins.

I'm wondering how much the heat will be an advantage for the Phins, if at all. 316 can chime in on this, but from what I hear it's just as hot and humid in Tennessee as it is in Florida right now.

But yeah, if last night is any indicator, I expect both teams to be sloppy with a ton of penalties. Fact is, many teams rested their starters in preseason games even more than usual this year, so they simply aren't prepared to play 60-minute games yet. I think we'll see evidence of that in Miami, especially with the heat.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:01 pm

JMP wrote:I'm wondering how much the heat will be an advantage for the Phins, if at all.  316 can chime in on this, but from what I hear it's just as hot and humid in Tennessee as it is in Florida right now.

As someone who's lived in both places the difference is negligible except that you can feel the sun roasting your skin more in SoFla, which is why you're supposed to slather on sunscreen there if you plan on being outside longer than 10 minutes at a time. Otherwise, triple digits is triple digits. Lately, I've been seeing that SoFla phenomenon where it's perfectly sunny one minute and raining hard the next, and then fine 5 minutes after that.

But in football terms, the Fins haven't been anywhere near as good at home in September lately as they were from '90-03, when they were an incredible 21-2 Shocked Those were the days (sighs).

http://pfref.com/tiny/awzIB

Since then, they are just 7-13 in home September games, with only the Browns being worse in that situation over that span. Amazing how the heat suddenly stopped mattering.

http://pfref.com/tiny/7ApHC

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:31 pm

Once again, this is yet ANOTHER make or break year for our QB. To me, this whole year is about, Do we have our franchise QB? If not, it is WAY past time to move on. Don't get me wrong. I still want us to win, but I am just as, if not, more interested to see how 17 plays this year.

And, I do not mean put up meaningless stats when the game has been already decided. I want to see him convert 3rd downs at at least 35%. I want at least a 23 point a game average. I want to see a 60+% completion percentage. I want a QB rating in the 90's.

I don't want to get too hung up on stats. I just need to see the next step.

I definitely do NOT want to see the Tannehill of old. I hear people saying they hope he is just as good as he was before the 20+ game absence. If we get the Tannehill of old, we are looking at picking his replacement next year in what is thought of as a very weak QB draft class.

Unless one of our plethora of backups is the guy.

Just joking about the last one.
scotgif
scotgif

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:29 pm

I hear ya, scot - it's "prove it" time once again for Tannehill. He needs to show that he can hang with the big boys on third downs, in the red zone, and in the 4th quarter - and he needs to throw TDs. Make plays when it counts.

I'm not concerned at all with completion percentage, because it will likely be 65+% simply because of Gase's offense - with mostly safe, short, high percentage passes. That's an easy way to pad your stats with a killer completion percentage - when in reality you're just doing something a monkey could do. The stats I mentioned above will tell us much more about Tannehill than his dink and dunk completions. Hell, even Cutler completed almost 65% in his one crappy season with Gase on the Bears...the one where the Bears' offense was one of the league's worst, yet somehow contributed to Gase's fraudulent "genius" status.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:11 pm

Unfortunately there's some bad news about Tannehill. Believe it or not, his cap number will TRIPLE next season Shocked Not only that, but the Fins ALREADY have over $13.5 mil of dead money for next season Shocked Shocked and getting rid of Tannehill before June 1 of next year will just about DOUBLE that amount Shocked Shocked Shocked

So pretty much no matter what, he'll be the starting QB in 2019 as well. We can only pray he isn't extended yet again, which would make it impossible for this team to move on from him before 2023 or so.

https://overthecap.com/player/ryan-tannehill/717/

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/miami-dolphins

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:47 am

Tennessee 22
Miami 21

Extra point is dropped by the Tennessee holder, but he gets up and throws up a prayer to win the game, in the last 10 seconds, after we've come back from 14-0 down in the fourth to take a 21-14 lead, and they get the ball on their 12 on the kickoff, with 1:24 to go in the game, and the defense finds the largest and most conspicuous part of the bed and takes a horrific dump.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:45 pm

Delayed??? DELAYED?!?!

WHAT is the POINT of me sleeping all day SPECIFICALLY to avoid the misery of having to wait for the game to be over if it's NOT actually OVER hours after it should have been?!?! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

(Heaves exasperated sigh.)

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:11 pm

I was there. Just got home. Did not stay for action to come back a second time. Too long of a day.
scotgif
scotgif

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:15 pm

scotgif wrote:I was there. Just got home. Did not stay for action to come back a second time. Too long of a day.

Only this team could put their own fans through that sort of misery even in a win Laughing

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down