Predictions: Dolphins at Patriots

Go down

Predictions: Dolphins at Patriots

Post by JMP on Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:19 am

I've been going back and forth all week, trying to decide if I think the Phins will actually win this game. Obviously, they can win...but will they? My heart says yes, but my brain says no.

I’m curious to see how the Dolphins play early. If they come out flat (like they usually do) and struggle on third downs on both sides of the ball ((like they usually do), this game could get out of control quickly and we’ll need another last minute miracle to win. You can't let Brady and the offense dominate time of possession, the way the Phins' opponents have all season.

When the Pats have the ball, job one is to stop the run. That may sound strange, but given the (relative) lack of weapons the Pats currently have in the passing game, I think we need to make them one-dimensional. Take the run away, and make Brady pass - so our front 4 can generate pressure. I wouldn't blitz too much - we're not a good blitzing team, and Brady will find the holes in a blitzing D every time. Let Quinn and Wake do their thing, and hopefully the DTs can collapse the pocket. I'm not sure we have the ability to double Gronk the way the Lions did, but he definitely needs to be contained. Josh Gordon is their X factor...we have no idea what to expect from him. Hopefully we can continue to force turnovers…we’ll need them.

On offense, I’d look to establish the run and then use play-action for intermediate and deep passes. Don’t dink and dunk…move the chains and keep the D on their heels. I’d give a lot of targets to Parker and Gesicki – feed the big boys and score TDs.

Prediction: the Phins will use the wildcat formation at least 3 times – and on one, Wilson will throw to Tannehill. The Phins will also run a fake punt, with Wilson throwing a pass (he was lined up as the upback on punts last week, and I think they’ll go to it on Sunday). None of these gadget plays will work this week.

What I think will actually happen is this: the Phins will sleepwalk through the first one and a half quarters, and score a late second quarter TD. The Pats will have a small lead at the half, and then dominate us in the third quarter. The Phins will chip away at the score in the 4th, and then win in dramatic fashion on a late fumble return for a TD. I’m going with my heart: Phins win, 28-27. cheers

JMP
Admin

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Predictions: Dolphins at Patriots

Post by mercury22nathan on Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:51 am

i'm secretly hoping that by blatantly picking the Pats, the Phins will prove me wrong and make me look like an unfaithful ass. but, shhhhhhh - don't tell anyone.

Phins once again stumble through a painfully sluggish start (ending the game 2 of 11 on third downs). Pats score on their first three of four drives to jump up to 17-0 when in the second quarter Tannehill hits Stills on a long TD, but the extra point is missed. Pats net a couple more TDs in the second half while the Phins settle for a FG after receiving a short field following a turnover and then get a garbage time TD drive. Final score is Pats 31 to Phins 16. The Phins reveal themselves to be the same old Phins.

mercury22nathan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:57 pm

42-10 Patriots - Pats get better this week, and the season hinges on how we respond in the next game.
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:46 pm

Pats win 52-3, Fins become a national laughingstock once again, three more players get injured for the season, and this becomes the first Fins team to ever start a season 3-0 and finish with less than 8 wins.

But at least I'll always have this moment of my life to look back on, that glorious time when the Fins were actually 2 games ahead of everyone else in the division, and in the 21st century no less.

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:37 pm

JMP wrote:I’d give a lot of targets to Parker and Gesicki – feed the big boys and score TDs.

Well, yeah...now Parker is questionable with some mystery quad injury, of course.  Should've seen that one coming a mile away.   Rolling Eyes

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea on Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:36 pm

Parker is a waste of money in real life. There is no way that he is hurt everytime that he is needed. I tired of him being on this team. Miami loss to Pats because they are angry and Miami has hard time covering Gronk. Pats 32 - 21 over Miami

rightchea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 on Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:03 pm

Offensively, Miami hasn’t proven anything except how to outfool themselves. Against a, then last in run defense raiders, they managed 41 yards rushing. I don’t think Miami won because of stellar (flip) passing game or a smash mouth run game.

What I do think is that Miami is defensively is getting better. I thought Baker has outplayed McMillan. I think Fitzpatrick was a great pick and he is going to be an All Pro soon. Howard is awfully good in Man coverage.

With that being said I think Miami wins the game but on the backs of the defense. Miami’s offense is not a finely tuned machine more like a used car special. If you are patient and willing to stick it out every once in a while you find a good used car. But not always!!!
We won’t win passing the ball. We don’t cover TE very well. Getting into a shootout with Brady never ends well for us. Patience and grit. That seems to be what Miami’s theme is today
Umix10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:46 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:Pats win 52-3, Fins become a national laughingstock once again, three more players get injured for the season, and this becomes the first Fins team to ever start a season 3-0 and finish with less than 8 wins.

But at least I'll always have this moment of my life to look back on, that glorious time when the Fins were actually 2 games ahead of everyone else in the division, and in the 21st century no less.

You're too negative, just enjoy the ride <bus drives off cliff>
Very Happy
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris on Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:53 pm

Dolphins are who we thought they are. Tannehill is a backup NFL QB. Too many of these games for Tannehill. Not enough for a franchise QB.

CarsonChris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:57 pm

CarsonChris wrote:Dolphins are who we thought they are. Tannehill is a backup NFL QB. Too many of these games for Tannehill. Not enough for a franchise QB.

Marino wasn't saving them today. This team has no depth and is very short on talent in some extremely key areas.
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:14 pm

Okay, so my 52-3 prediction was a *little* off. But only because B&B felt sorry for them, apparently. EDIT: The rest of it might actually come true, though.

Oh well. Whatevs. That's how I feel right now. Completely used to this sort of loss.

Why is it that the bad guys always wind up winning no matter what these days?

Last edited by DolFan 316 on Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:01 pm

I thought the Phins would at least show up for this game. I guess I forgot about the Gase factor. Embarassed

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:07 pm

That glorious time when the Fins were 3-0 and the rest of the division was 1-2 already seems like an eternity ago. Was Trump even president then? Was Obama? It might have even happened before the internet was invented.

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:23 am

I said 42-10. Sucks to be so close to correct.
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:09 am

I still think the Pats are a paper tiger. Was Gronk hurt yesterday? Something about his ankle? He is absolutely key... and he's been injury prone. If they lose him for an extended period of time, I think they nose dive.

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:24 am

white1 wrote:

I still think the Pats are a paper tiger.  Was Gronk hurt yesterday? Something about his ankle? He is absolutely key... and he's been injury prone.  If they lose him for an extended period of time, I think they nose dive.

Gronk did leave the game at some point in the second half with an ankle injury. He had the injury already - probably just aggravated it and in a blowout they probably figured it was best to shut him down. I doubt it's a big deal at this point. If he is healthy, I think the New England offense will greatly improve with Edelman coming back and Gordon learning the offense - and the continued development of Sony Michel. That offense will be scary good again once they click.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:30 am

Michel was a great pick. Dammit. I loved the player, and hated the fact the Pats landed him.

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:48 pm

Don't people say this every year about the Patriots up to Week 5? Oh boy, Brady's done, they're weak defensively, their offense is a mess - BOOM 10 straight wins later, Brady's choad is down their throats as they sing the praises of the Pats organization.

People talk all the time about how this league is set up for teams to rise and fall. The Patriots have played under the same financial rules and have won several championships and are in it ever single year. The lie of "parity" in the NFL is on full display here, and no one seems to notice.
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:32 pm

Degarmo wrote:Don't people say this every year about the Patriots up to Week 5?  Oh boy, Brady's done, they're weak defensively, their offense is a mess - BOOM 10 straight wins later, Brady's choad is down their throats as they sing the praises of the Pats organization.

People talk all the time about how this league is set up for teams to rise and fall.  The Patriots have played under the same financial rules and have won several championships and are in it ever single year.  The lie of "parity" in the NFL is on full display here, and no one seems to notice.

It really is sickening. Especially the part where pretty much everybody has somehow been brainwashed into genuinely believing the poor Patriots are the oppressed victims here, and root for them like they're the ultimate underdogs. Only in the 21st century Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:45 pm

Well, their name is the Patriots. Let's just say people are easily swayed now, possibly more than ever. It's so easy to brainwash people, just keep it simple for them, three-to-four-word slogans, short words as to not tax their brains, be emotional, simplify complex subjects to key catchphrases.

I've never seen the stupid take hold of a country quite like the current American populace.
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:21 pm

Degarmo wrote:Well, their name is the Patriots.  Let's just say people are easily swayed now, possibly more than ever.  It's so easy to brainwash people, just keep it simple for them, three-to-four-word slogans, short words as to not tax their brains, be emotional, simplify complex subjects to key catchphrases.

But you'd think people these days would hate a team named the Patriots considering, wouldn't you?

I've never seen the stupid take hold of a country quite like the current American populace.

That's only because you weren't alive in Germany during the 30s, or in Rome during its fall, or in ancient China during one of its many civil wars, etc. This is just history repeating itself yet again.

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn on Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:02 am

Patriots are guaranteed a division title every single year. The other three teams in their division have been brain-dead for the better part of two decades. They are also guaranteed a first round bye, practically every year.

They also caught a lucky break, in that realignment to the four divisions came along right after the Pats lucked into Brady, giving them ONLY those three division competitors and simultaneously taking Peyton Manning's Colts out of it when he was just entering his prime. Pats would have had a tougher road to the division title every year otherwise.

HalCHorn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic on Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:38 pm

I was hoping the Pats-Phins were going to be o my local channel, but of course, the local affiliate showed me the Falcons Bengals. (sigh)

Does anybody see anyway the Phins can beat the Bengals?

This might be an epic arzzwhoopin!

finfanatic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down