Game 4 thoughts: Lphins (no D or O) at Patriots

Go down

Game 4 thoughts: Lphins (no D or O) at Patriots

Post by JMP on Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:51 pm

Today’s game was bad. How bad was it? It was so bad, that CBS switched to a different game midway through the third quarter, after the Patriots went up 31-0. The game was shown on regular TV in my area, so I was unable to watch the rest of the game. Thank God for small miracles.

Leading up to this game, the talk throughout Dolphin Land – in the media, on message boards, and really almost everywhere – was filled with hyperbole about how good the Dolphins were. Adam Gase is a super-genius of Einsteinian proportions. Ryan Tannehill is on his way to an All Pro honor. Jakeem Grant and Albert Wilson are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Gase is proving that you don’t need stars to win. Robert Quinn could be the Defensive MVP. Xavien Howard is the best corner in football. The Dolphins’ team speed would make the slow Patriots look foolish. Tom Brady is finished. The Patriots are one of the worst teams in football. I heard all this and more.

The Dolphins, apparently, heard all this stuff too – and they believed it all. They came into this game thinking that all they had to do to win was show up. The Patriots heard all the talk, too – and they responded the way they always do – they worked hard and took care of business.

Right from the opening second, the Dolphins looked unprepared, uninterested and lifeless. Of course, this is nothing new under Adam Gase – the team routinely sleepwalks through the first half almost every week. Today, they took it a step further and stayed comatose through the entire game.

In what was arguably the most important regular season game in recent Dolphin history, with an opportunity to flip the script and take over the AFC East, the Dolphins played about as bad as an NFL team can play. They were HORRIBLE. So horrible, in fact, that I can’t think of one positive thing to take from this game – not one. Ryan Tannehill was dreadful – just disgustingly bad. The OL was terrible. The smurf WRs – Grant, Wilson and Amendola – did absolutely nothing. The running game was non-existent. Gase’s playcalling was horrendous. The DL couldn’t generate pressure. The LBs couldn’t stop the run. Xavien Howard was awful. No one could tackle. Punter Matt Haack sucked. The team as a whole gave crap effort and couldn’t do anything right.

Offensive guru Gase guided his offense to 172 total yards, getting just 11 first downs and going 3-11 on third down. A big chunk of those stats came when Brock Osweiler was in the game, in garbage time. Gase was outmatched and outclassed, and he had no answers.

The OL, in particular, was one of the lowest points in a game of low points. Tunsil had a couple of penalties and battled with Larsen to see who could get beat more often. Kilgore constantly got pushed back, and when he left with an injury his replacement Swanson came in and caused a fumble with a bad snap. JaWuan James had a penalty and looked terrible – apparently getting benched late in the game. In short, this looked like a typical Dolphins’ OL.

I’m so sick of hearing about Grant and Wilson, two players that can’t do anything unless it’s a gimmick play. Fact is, our receiving corps scares no one, and we don’t have a go-to receiver that Tannehill can look for in crucial third down situations. No one can get open, and no one can carry the team. Speed? Ha! Give me football players, not athletes. This is what happens when you have no offensive stars in a league where games are routinely won by offensive stars.

Not much left to say. As both teams always do in a big spot, the Dolphins shit the bed and the Patriots dominated. The AFC East is once again up for grabs, and it’s pretty obvious how it will shake out in the end. The Dolphins now head into games against the Bengals and Bears, two teams with tough physical defenses that will likely shut down the pathetic Dolphin offense. 3-0 is quickly going to become 3-3.

Beer of the Game – Warsteiner Oktoberfest (Munich style) and Warsteiner Pilsener. (Incidentally, my brother and I ate like kings today…clams and oysters on the half shell, crabmeat-stuffed mushrooms, deviled eggs, stuffed jalapenos and brats with onions and kraut!)

Hero of the Game – absolutely no one

Goat of the Game – I could give it to Tannehill, who once again came up empty in a big game. Or Kenyan Drake, who has been the most disappointing Dolphin this season. Or the OL, who were pathetic. Or Grant, Wilson and Amendola, who all did nothing. Or Xavien Howard, who made Phillip Dorsett look like a stud. Or Robert Quinn and Cam Wake, who generated zero pressure on Brady. Or any number of Dolphins. But instead, I’ll give it to Adam Gase – who somehow acted like he had no idea what the Patriots were doing and had his team totally unprepared. He coached like a scared rabbit, calling nothing but ultra-short passes and never challenging the Patriots’ low-ranked defense. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – Adam Gase is a FRAUD.

JMP
Admin

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Game 4 thoughts: Lphins (no D or O) at Patriots

Post by DolFan 316 on Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:58 pm

I have been waiting hours for this post. (Whispers.) Hours...

The game was even worse than you realize. Until the lone garbage time TD, this was seriously going to be the largest margin of victory for the Pats over the Fins in the 52-year history of the series. I cannot make this stuff up.

Also, there were heroes of the game. Not anyone on the team, mind you. No, the true heroes were the fans who actually suffered through most of this. Not even all, but most.

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:26 pm

BTW - the Pats just gave the rest of the league the blueprint for beating Gase: load up on defensive backs and pretty much ignore the run.  Did the Pats even use any linebackers today?  The Pats knew the Phins couldn't run the ball because their OL sucks, so they dared Tannehill to beat them - knowing that he would play it safe with dink and dunk all day and his receivers wouldn't be able to get open.  Expect more of the same until our offensive guru figures it out.

Last edited by JMP on Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:30 am

I don't like saying this, but facing that defense today with 27 DBs, the wildcat would have really worked.

I knew they were screwed in this game, and I was so hoping to have to eat crow on this one. They did what they do, what their talent and coaching is capable of in reality, which is nothing of merit. Not one single person showed up in this game, and if they had won, they would have had to have collapsed monumentally in order to lose the division (coincidentally, I believe this game ends their bid for anything as they don't recover from this kind of humiliation - I said they were fragile, we're about to find out just how fragile).
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:09 am

Degarmo wrote:I don't like saying this, but facing that defense today with 27 DBs, the wildcat would have really worked.

Anything would have been better than what they tried.

My favorite play: lining Albert Wilson up at RB, and giving him a handoff straight into the center of the Patriots defense for a 2-yard gain. Really the height of stupidity...you all but ignore Drake, Gore and Ballage all game, but you give a handoff to Wilson - and have the smurf try to run up the gut between the tackles. Probably the dumbest play I've ever seen Gase call, and there have been many.

BTW...where are our rookie TEs that everyone couldn't stop talking about this summer? Smythe has hardly played at all, and Gesicki is being used almost exclusively as a blocker. WTF!!!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:47 am

Simply mind-blowing to hear Adam Gase say he was surprised at how physical the Patriots played, and how they did things he didn't expect. Has he ever heard of Bill Belichick and the New England Patriots? I mean, what the hell did he do to prepare for this game...watch last week's Patriot loss to the Lions and nothing else??? Meanwhile, Belichick studied the Dolphins and knew exactly what they were going to do, and designed a brilliant gameplan to counter it.

Hopefully Gase reads this post, because I want to clue him in on our opponent next week: hey coach, the Bengals have a tough, physical defense - so don't be surprised when they push around the weak-ass finesse team you've assembled. I'm so done with this clueless assclown.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan on Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:59 am

Its simple. Early last week, Belichick asked himself one question. What can’t the Dolphins do well? And then he decided that is what he would force them to try to do. The Phins defense can’t set the edge. So the Pats attacked the perimeter with outside sweeps and off tackle runs. 175 rushing yards later and the Phins still couldn’t stop what everyone knew was coming. The Phins secondary can’t communicate. So the Pats used lots of route combinations with picks and crosses. And the Pats averaged 12 yards per reception with six players having a long reception of 14 yards or more. The Pats weren’t using that usual quick passing stuff. No, they know the Phins have no ability to rush the passer so Brady sat back in the pocket and waited, and waited, and waited allowing things to come open.

Belichick knew the Phins couldn’t run the ball, so he didn’t even try to defend it – and Phins still couldn’t run the ball. And they didn’t even really try. The inept Phins O-line collapsed around Tannehill – that is when they weren’t committing drive killing penalties. Of course no offense can overcome a holding call or a false start if they don’t even regularly try to throw beyond the sticks. Tannehill was uncomfortable and wildly inaccurate (what happened to all that new found pocket presence he supposedly developed?). the Phins were 3 of 11 (including the garbage time drive) on 3rd down and ended 9 of 11 drives with a punt or turnover. The other 2 drives were ended by the half after 3 plays and the garbage TD. This is what happens when a team has to rely on cutsie trick plays to score and is forced to play real football. Why can’t Gase see the things that are so bad about this team that are so obvious to Belichick (and every other coach now)?

This team is bad, really bad. We’ll here all about the injuries and that might be an excuse in the case Jones, but you know what? Tannehill isn’t hurt. Tunsil isn’t hurt. James isn’t hurt. Stills isn’t hurt. Drake isn’t hurt. And not one of them could do anything to move the ball. Wake isn’t hurt (he’s old, but not hurt). Alonso isn’t hurt. Howard isn’t hurt. And not one of them could do anything to stop the Pats from moving the ball at will. No amount of film watching is going to fix this team’s problems. Get ready cause things are about to get real ugly. I’m afraid we are all going to remember this game as the beginning of the end for the Gase/Tannehill combo.

And speaking of injuries. Hmm, the Phins rely on free agents to rebuild their o-line and here we are after week 4 and both are out – go figure.

mercury22nathan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:18 am

Well said, merc.

And now the bad drafts are starting to bite us again:
--This regime never drafts OL (well, aside from Tunsil and Asiata), and now that our aging free agents are dropping like flies we have to rely on even worse veteran trash.
--McCain is now out, and the crap DBs we've drafted under Gase aren't going to help: Jordan Lucas (no longer on the team), Cordrea Tankersley and Cornell Armstrong.
--We lost two DEs (one an aging and injury-prone FA, the other a mediocre FA), and first round pick Charles Harris sucks so bad that he gets fewer snaps than free agent castoff Jonathan Woodard. --We didn't have our mediocre veteran journeyman FA TE (Derby) for yesterday's game, and the not one but two rookie TEs we drafted were absolute non-factors in the game.

The depth on this team is awful, and it all comes down to drafting - as always.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:25 am

One more rant: all this talk about "changing the culture" is a bunch of crap. Laremy Tunsil - who should be a team leader by now but is nothing but a mediocre penalty machine - snapped at reporters who asked why the OL played so poorly yesterday. Kenyan Drake - who was supposed to be a superstar but has been a nobody - wouldn't even talk to reporters yesterday. Our genius head coach openly admitted that he was "surprised" by what the Patriots did yesterday. Our locker-room leader, Amendola, caught just two passes yesterday and his advice after the loss was to tell his team to "watch film".

Where's the accountability? Where are the Cam Wakes, Robert Quinns and Ryan Tannehills to pull this team up from the floor and energize them? I'll tell you where they are...they're huddled in a corner crying after getting bitch-slapped and pissed on by the New England Patriots. No leadership, no accountability...just more of the same gutless, directionless crap. Gase has assembled the team he always wanted - a team with no heart, no fire and no desire. A roster and coaching staff full of LOSERS.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:04 am

Well, this has been one passionate thread!

But instead, I’ll give it to Adam Gase – who somehow acted like he had no idea what the Patriots were doing and had his team totally unprepared. He coached like a scared rabbit, calling nothing but ultra-short passes and never challenging the Patriots’ low-ranked defense. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – Adam Gase is a FRAUD.

I was actually afraid this might be the case. My fear is only growing. A total ass kicking and humiliating beat down at the hands of a hated rival certainly hurts. Bad. How this team responds is going to speak volumes. IF. IF. We circle the drain on the way to 6-10... then I think Ross has to pull the plug on this regime. Top to bottom.

A playoff berth is the only way this trifecta should survive. SHOULD. Because if you want a measuring stick, well yesterday was the measuring stick. In games that matter, we are easily four touchdowns worse than the Pats. At least. Because they probably took their foot off the gas.

In other words, we are in year 3 of this regime and we are NO CLOSER to the Pats than we've ever been. If that's "progress", then the bar for progress must be so low as to not even exist.

On the bright side. There is NO WAY that Ross isn't furious today. It's not possible. We have already read how underwhelmed he was with the draft. A 3-0 start now dashed with the stark reality that we are not even a GOOD team, that has to have raised his eyebrows.

I'm going to make a bold prediction. If this squad is 7-9 (or worse), Ross WILL FIRE everyone. Tannenbaum, Grier and Gase are all gone. I won't even hedge my bet with a prediction that someone survives. Mark it down, save this post, you heard it right here: Ross will clean house.

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:35 pm

white1 wrote:I'm going to make a bold prediction.  If this squad is 7-9 (or worse), Ross WILL FIRE everyone.  Tannenbaum, Grier and Gase are all gone.  I won't even hedge my bet with a prediction that someone survives.  Mark it down, save this post, you heard it right here:  Ross will clean house.

I will literally be praying every chance I get that you're right.

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:15 pm

white1 wrote:Well, this has been one passionate thread!

But instead, I’ll give it to Adam Gase – who somehow acted like he had no idea what the Patriots were doing and had his team totally unprepared. He coached like a scared rabbit, calling nothing but ultra-short passes and never challenging the Patriots’ low-ranked defense. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – Adam Gase is a FRAUD.

I was actually afraid this might be the case.  My fear is only growing.  A total ass kicking and humiliating beat down at the hands of a hated rival certainly hurts.  Bad.  How this team responds is going to speak volumes.  IF.  IF.  We circle the drain on the way to 6-10... then I think Ross has to pull the plug on this regime.  Top to bottom.  

A playoff berth is the only way this trifecta should survive.  SHOULD.  Because if you want a measuring stick, well yesterday was the measuring stick.  In games that matter, we are easily four touchdowns worse than the Pats.  At least.  Because they probably took their foot off the gas.  

In other words, we are in year 3 of this regime and we are NO CLOSER to the Pats than we've ever been.  If that's "progress", then the bar for progress must be so low as to not even exist.  

On the bright side.  There is NO WAY that Ross isn't furious today.  It's not possible.  We have already read how underwhelmed he was with the draft.  A 3-0 start now dashed with the stark reality that we are not even a GOOD team, that has to have raised his eyebrows.

I'm going to make a bold prediction.  If this squad is 7-9 (or worse), Ross WILL FIRE everyone.  Tannenbaum, Grier and Gase are all gone.  I won't even hedge my bet with a prediction that someone survives.  Mark it down, save this post, you heard it right here:  Ross will clean house.

I'm in complete agreement - playoffs, or blow it all up. And I agree that Ross is at the end of his rope...I don't think he's going to stand for another losing season, not after Gase rebuilt the roster and coaching staff the way he supposedly wanted it. Ross was PISSED after the last season, and I think he's getting impatient - especially seeing how quickly the Rams and Jags turned things around.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:28 pm

especially seeing how quickly the Rams and Jags turned things around.

Oh yeah, that's just the counter evidence he needs. No, IT DOESN'T need to take five years to turn a program around. If you've got the right people in place.

The Browns are about to provide another example IMO. I'm loving how they built that roster. Great defensive linemen, a ball hawking corner, power running game and they drafted their franchise QB. Plus guys like Landry and Njoku as receiving threats.

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:56 pm

If they get in a stud front office, it will take at least 2 seasons to become a good team and by Year 3 they should be able to make some noise, if everything falls right that is, and if all their picks hit.

The cupboard is bare right now. The mismanagement of player personnel on this team is of epic incredulity. We're in a gigantic deep hole, much worse than a lot of folks outside this posting board can fathom.
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down