WHO NEEDS TANNEHILL?!?!

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: WHO NEEDS TANNEHILL?!?!

Post by JEGnj on Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:03 pm

He missed half of 16, all of 17, now possibly most of 18, never has been more then average and coming off 2 major surgeries at 30 and making $25 million a year. When is it time to cut bail and move on?
JEGnj

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn on Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:11 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:Tannehill is definitely out this week against the Lions, and there is speculation that he could be done for the season.  Too early to tell and you know the Phins won't say anything ahead of time...but we could be looking at Osweiler the rest of the way.  I know some of you will be happy if that happens, but here's my reaction:  No

If this is true there's no way the Fins can have Tannehill on the roster at the start of next season. He's just no longer cost effective. Might as well just keep going with Osweiler or draft a QB or sign somebody else. If only the Saints hadn't snatched up Bridgewater Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Yeah, I really wanted Bridgewater, and he would have cost little. He still has quite a bit of upside IMO.

Tannehill is likely gone after this season if he's out for an extended period or if Osweiler performs well for several games in a row.

Hey, if we got a career year out of Pennington, maybe we could get one out of Osweiler? Not likely, but not impossible.

Regardless, it is still time to start drafting QB's as frequently as teams like the Pats do and the Packers and Eagles used to. This team's failure to invest wisely in QB's on draft day goes back over two decades now; really, all the way back to Scott Mitchell in 1990 when you think about it. Wanny, Saban, Parcells, and the current regime all had chances to do this IMO, and didn't.

HalCHorn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan on Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:24 am

If Tannehill is on the team next season under terms of his current contract, he would be paid an $18.7 million base salary in 2019, with a $26.6 million cap hit.

If the Dolphins cut him after this season without a post June 1 designation, the Dolphins would have $13.4 million in dead money on its 2019 cap as a result of Tannehill’s contract but would have a cap savings of $13.2 million.

But if Dolphins release Tannehill with a post June 1 designation, the Dolphins would have $7.9 million in dead money on its 2019 cap as a result of Tannehill’s contract but would have a cap savings of $18.75 million.

But the flip side of that scenario would be that Miami’s cap would carry another $5.6 million of Tannehill’s dead money in 2020.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article219883525.html

time to draft the next future franchise QB.

mercury22nathan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan on Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:35 am

Degarmo wrote:
Oh, check out Osweiler's throw chart.

Talk about dink and dunk, ugh.

while i don't want to overreact to a single game... holy shit that is Gase's offense in a nutshell.

more than half (15 of 28) of the completions within 1 yard or behind the line of scrimmage. only 5 completions beyond 10 yards and only 1 single pass completed beyond 20.

also note not a single longer attempt to the left side of the field. perhaps that is one of Osweiler's weaknesses - not seeing the or inability to throw deep on the left.

mercury22nathan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:04 am

So now Tannehill was apparently injured late in the Bengals game? And of course the NFL decides this should be the one time they ever actually punish a team for bungling the injury report. Rolling Eyes

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article220155980.html

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:06 am

mercury22nathan wrote:
Degarmo wrote:
Oh, check out Osweiler's throw chart.

Talk about dink and dunk, ugh.

while i don't want to overreact to a single game...  holy shit that is Gase's offense in a nutshell.

more than half (15 of 28) of the completions within 1 yard or behind the line of scrimmage.  only 5 completions beyond 10 yards and only 1 single pass completed beyond 20.

Exactly. It's not an Osweiler thing, it's a Gase offense design thing.

As long as I see results and wins, that's all that really matters. It sure is strange to me that Wilson can make these big plays Landry never could. Hmmm...

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:49 am

That type of offense leads to inconsistency - because you need your receivers to get YAC. When you have a stable of tiny receivers, as the Phins do, sometimes they'll be able to get YAC, but most times they won't. It's a tall order (no pun intended) to ask small guys like Amendola, Grant and Wilson to break tackles and make people miss on a consistent basis. All you need to do is look at their season stats to see what I mean:
--Wilson has had two good games, statistically, this season: against the Raiders where he had 2 receptions for 74 yards and a TD (one of those receptions went for 0 yards), and against the Bears where he had 6 catches for 155 yards and 2 TDs. In the other 4 games, his combined numbers are 15 catches for 130 yards (8.7 yards a catch) and 1 TD.
--Grant has had one good game, statistically, this season: also against the Raiders where he had 2 receptions for 70 yards and 2 TDs. In the other 5 games, his combined numbers are 12 catches for 114 yards (9.5 yards a catch) and 0 TDs.
--Amendola has not surpassed 59 yards in a game yet, and despite having 24 catches he has just 210 yards (8.8 yards a catch) and 0 TDs.

What these stats show is that aside from a few big plays that occurred in just 2 games, most of the time our smurf receivers are not producing at a high rate - because they're being asked to out-physical the opposing defense, and that usually fails. I'm not blaming the receivers - they are what they are. I'm blaming an offensive gameplan that takes two small but VERY fast and dynamic receivers (Wilson and Grant) and turns them into small-play dink and dunk receivers. Why are we not challenging teams intermediate and deep with anyone but Stills, who rarely sees the ball himself??? Playing within this 10 yard box is just too easy to defend, and it makes it too tough to get first downs and score.

JMP
Admin

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 on Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:28 pm

Ive said this before but i feel like it needs to be said......The best thing to do is not to worry about QB situation. IT IS WHAT IT IS!!!!!!!!! If the organization is the same than the players motivation stays the same. We need to really shop for the next head coach right now at this moment. The Tannehill era is over. Regardless of what he could, would or should do. The offensive unit is a cluster fuck. But it doesn't start with the QB. It starts with the relationship the OC/QB/HC has. Obviously there was none the entire time Tannehill was here. THE MIAMI DOLPHINS ruined Tannehill's career. There has bee absolutely no seemless transition with this kid. He has never been mentored the way others have.
Umix10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris on Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:04 pm

Trade Tannehill

CarsonChris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content