Stuck in the middle once again

Go down

Stuck in the middle once again

Post by scotgif on Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:17 pm

Once again, we are right on track for another .500 type season. Not good enough for realistic playoff hopes, not bad enough to warrant high draft choices. Stcuk right in the middle of the pack, once again. By the way, those of you that listen to Big O on 560 know that these are his thoughts as well. He plays this song most days. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. That's our beloved Fins alright.
scotgif

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Stuck in the middle once again

Post by DolFan 316 on Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:26 pm

The way this team constantly manages to win 6-8 games without ever being bad enough to have a top 5 pick is uncanny. it really does take a special kind of skill to be exactly that bad year after year.

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:29 am

That's how you stay mediocre and irrelevant, by never doing anything exceptional, even sucking.
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:38 am

Ironically enough the middle has been this team's biggest weakness for ages, both on O and D.

And yes, this team sucks at sucking like no other. Off the top of my head, I honestly cannot think of any other team in NFL history who's had so many utterly meaningless wins for so long. It's like they do it out of sheer spite. Out of playoff contention and in line for a top 5 pick? Time to start winning!!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn on Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:25 am

Off topic, that is a great song.

Better song, that or Gerry Rafferty's solo smash "Baker Street"? I think I pick the latter but they were both classics.

HalCHorn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:54 am

That's awesome, scot!  I laugh every time I hear Big O play that!   Very Happy   So true!

And Hal - both good songs, but I vote for Baker Street.  That sax part is the catchiest damn thing I've ever heard!  The Foo Fighters do a good cover, by the way (no sax, though...):

JMP
Admin

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:53 am

This article by Armando is right on, and fits this thread well:
https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article220432235.html
Armando wrote:
Adam Gase is not incompetent.

That’s not the Dolphins’ problem. I’ve covered coaching incompetence in my time chronicling this franchise and Gase isn’t that.

But I’ll tell what he is so far:

Mediocre.

Middle of the road.

Not terrible.

Not great.

Just ... mediocre.

The Dolphins travel to Houston on Tuesday as part of their preparation for Thursday’s game against the Houston Texans. And part of the baggage Gase will carry with him is his coaching record the last two-and-half seasons.

It’s 20-19 in the regular season. It’s 20-20 if you consider that 2017 playoff loss at Pittsburgh.

You know what either one of those records say about the results Gase has gotten so far with this team? Mediocre.

Middle of the road.

Mediocre.

Everything about these Dolphins has been more or less mediocre since Gase took over. And I’m actually being generous because there have been some whopper embarrassments in prime time blowout losses and even an assistant Gase hired sniffing blow in his office.

Gase was brought to Miami as an offensive-minded coach to solve the Dolphins’ long running inability to put a great quarterback under center. He was brought here to remind a generation of Dolphins fans who never saw Don Shula on the sideline and Dan Marino on the field what it’s like to dominate on offense.

Have we gotten that?

Gase came to South Florida with his 2013 experience as the offensive coordinator of a record-breaking Denver offense that had record-breaking quarterback Peyton Manning. And his solution for raising the Miami offense to similar heights has been to do nothing at quarterback.

Gase took Joe Philbin’s quarterback and empowered him. But he’s still getting more or less Joe Philbin results from the quarterback position.

And from the offense overall.

The Dolphins scored 22.7 points per game in Gase’s first year running the offense. That was 19th best in the NFL Last year they sunk to 28th in the league in scoring but, be fair, they lost their starting quarterback so the Dolphins get a break for scoring only 17.6 points per game.

But this year, amid promises of improved Tannehill play and numerous offseason additions meant to improve the offensive line and team speed, the Dolphins are back to where they were that first year.

The team now is averaging 21.6 points per game. That’s tied for 23rd in the NFL.

They’re tied with Cleveland.

Cleveland!

I’m going to extend a kindness here and tell you that’s mediocre. It’s not. It’s bottom third of the league, but let’s call it mediocre for the sake of, well, hope.

About that hope ... the Dolphins are clinging to the idea that backup quarterback Brock Osweiler (who through two games has actually played better than Tannehill) will keep the ship afloat at Houston on Thursday and then a healthy Tannehill will take over again after that.

Nobody actually knows if Tannehill can be back from his shoulder injury by then, but the team is hoping.

So what is that really saying? It’s saying the Dolphins hope one career mediocre QB will play through some issues and eventually give way to another career mediocre QB to save the season.

And even as injuries deplete Miami’s talent — much the same way it depletes everyone around the NFL — we’re supposed to believe the Dolphins the second half of the season will suddenly catch fire.

We’re supposed to believe a rally is afoot if we can just get through all this mediocrity.

Who believes this?

What I have seen is the Dolphins, who once boasted in every press release they were among the winningest organizations in all of sports, sink to the virtual irrelevance of constant mediocrity.

And here’s the dangerous thing about mediocrity: It multiplies itself.

Teams like the Dolphins that somehow manage to reload every year and play well in spurts and not in others end up in the same spot year after year.

The coach and his staff stay around a long time because, although they’re not winning with any consistency, they’re not losing either. So nothing actually improves. The quarterback stays around a long time because he’s not bad and changing him might bring in a bad one. So nothing changes there, either.

That mediocre team never drafts high enough to get the best players. It has enough cap room to hold ground but never amazing camp room to buy a big winner.

That’s what the Dolphins have been doing for years before Gase arrived. That’s what they continue doing now with Gase.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 on Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:32 am

There is compelling evidence that the raiders are having a fire sale. Carr is falling out of favor in Oakland. All the signs point to Carr being traded.

I wonder If Carr for Parker and a Pick could get it done. I’m not sure what it would take but It’s certainly something to look into,
Umix10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:09 pm

Umix10 wrote:There is compelling evidence that the raiders are having a fire sale.  Carr is falling out of favor in Oakland. All the signs point to Carr being traded.  

I wonder If Carr for Parker and a Pick could get it done.  I’m not sure what it would take but It’s certainly something to look into,

I wouldn't do it. I'm not sure that Carr is a clear upgrade over Tannehill at this stage. They've had fairly similar careers. I also think Carr has that same type of wishy-washy personality, like Tannehill, that doesn't inspire the players around him.

Given the lack of good QBs available in the offseason, I think we just stick with Tannehill (or Osweiler) and hope to grab a good prospect in the 2020 draft. Or - if Gase actually does get fired - let the new guy decide what he wants to do.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 on Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:30 pm

Osweiler, Moore and Fitzpatrick are the same type of QB’s good in a pinch and nothing special. Not everyone is going to be a late bloomer like Rich Gannon. I think Osweiler has a better command of the offense than Tannehill but I only would look at Osweiler if Gase is still the HC. I’m banking on the fact that Gase is gone after week 10 going into the bye week.

As for Carr, I think he’s headed down the same path career wise as Tannehill only because he’s in the same situation only not as far. Different OC’s in as many seasons. No Continuity. But the kid has made a pro bowl or 2 something none of the last 10 QB’s for Miami has ever done!
Umix10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:43 pm

I would trade Carr for Tannehill straight up, or at least offer that, maybe throw in Parker to get him the fuck out of here.  We could at least hope the "change of scenery" thing would do them good, but we could do that, and then draft a QB.

I don't really care at this point, because quite frankly it's apparent that Ross doesn't care.  He can bluster and shit his pants about winning all he wants, but he's done nothing, NOTHING of substance to actually try to win.  He knows what he's doing, he fucking knows.

So, I'll just post another "in the middle song".

Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:48 pm

Hell yeah, Degarmo!  One of the greatest albums ever, and a killer song!  Twisted Evil

Very fitting for the Dolphins:
"Caught in the middle, just like the way you've always been
Caught in the middle, helpless again!"

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:50 pm

I love Dio, JMP, and I listened to the song three times before, and while, posting Very Happy
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:44 pm

Carr's at least won 12 games as a starter in one season and thrown at least 28 TD passes in a season twice, something Tannehill will never do.

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down