Game 8 thoughts: Dolphins at Texans

Go down

Game 8 thoughts: Dolphins at Texans

Post by JMP on Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:03 am

Miami Dolphins in prime time? Yeah…we all know what that means: the Dolphins will get crushed. And true to form, tonight against the Texans, they did, 42-23.

The Dolphins FINALLY had an impressive opening drive on offense – and it ended with zero points. They picked up a couple of first downs, got into Texans territory...and then had a pass batted down behind the line, gave up a sack to JJ Watt, got 5 yards back on offsides on the next play, then gained 10.5 yards on 3rd and 11 on a Danny Amendola catch and run… and then Osweiler threw an incomplete pass on 4th and inches. HORIFFIC play call. How do you not run the ball there, when Frank Gore was gaining chunks of yards???

The Dolphins continued to move the ball well in the first half, but managed just 10 points. They gained 188 yards in the first half, and had the ball almost 17 minutes…and just couldn’t score.

Brock Osweiler had his worst game as a Phin. Didn’t see open receivers, very inaccurate, couldn’t read blitzes pre-snap.

DeVante Parker was AWESOME. No, that was not a typo. He had 6 catches for 134 yards – including a 46-yard catch on a pass that bounced off Jakeem Grant’s hands, hit a Texan helmet and traveled downfield into Parker’s hands. One of his best plays was a nice grab for a first down on 3rd and 11 on a poorly-thrown pass by Osweiler. No other Dolphin pass-catcher had more than 43 yards. Sort of makes you question Gase’s decision for making Parker inactive the past few weeks, doesn’t it?

Since the Dolphins had trouble scoring, they had to use a trick play – and it worked like a charm. In the 3rd quarter, Osweiler threw to Amendola behind the line of scrimmage, and the receiver threw to Drake for a long TD. Sweet play, but unfortunately the offense couldn’t do much else on the night.

The OL pretty much sucked. Ja’Wuan James, unsurprisingly, couldn’t handle JJ Watt one-on-one, and the Texans got pressure all night.

Frank Gore and Kenyan Drake ran hard, gaining over 100 yards on the ground combined. But the lack of big plays in the run game really hurt the offense, with a long run of just 12 yards on the night.

Give credit to the offense for not giving up and continuing to play hard all game…but they just couldn’t get much going.

Before getting to the disastrous defense, I just want to point out that the total lack of complementary football continues to kill this team. Exhibit A: the Dolphins score a TD on a nice 12-yard scamper by Drake, and on the ensuing Texans’ drive the Phins’ D gets gashed by both the run and pass and gives up a TD. And again…late in the 3rd, after the Amendola TD pass, the D gives up a 73-yard TD pass. And again…this one caused by the coaching staff: after getting within 8 points at the end of the third quarter, for some inexplicable reason the Dolphins attempted an onside kick – and it failed miserably. Not surprisingly, Houston recovered and took advantage of the short field with a 49-yard TD reception by DeAndre Hopkins.

And saving the worst for last…the defense was absolutely DISGUSTING. The run defense was awful – allowing 188 yards on the ground (and now 600 yards in the past 3 games) – including a 58-yarder by former Dolphin Lamar Miller. The pass defense was considerably worse…allowing tons of big plays and making Deshaun Watson look like an all-time great. Watson started slow, but finished with an 80% completion percentage, 5 (yes, FIVE) passing TDs, and a near-perfect rating. The Dolphins had zero pass rush, and didn’t bother covering Texan receivers for most of the game. The Miami LBs were constantly out of position, the safeties looked lost and the DL got owned. In short, there is literally not one positive
thing I can say about the defense’s performance. I have no idea what Coach Burke is doing in practice…it sure as hell isn’t getting his team prepared for play.

On a weekly basis, Adam Gase and his staff get thoroughly outcoached. Owner Steve Ross cannot be pleased with the complete lack of fundamentals being displayed by his team week after week. We are at the half-way point of the season, and the arrow is pointing all the way down. Ross cannot sit back and do nothing any longer…heads must roll, and soon.

BEER OF THE GAME: I decided not to drink tonight, although I did knock back a shot of Kraken rum in honor of the Dolphins allowing 40 points in a prime time game AGAIN.

HERO OF THE GAME: Hats off the DeVante Parker, who looked every bit the #1 receiver we all hoped he could be. Outstanding game. Now, he needs to show it consistently.

GOAT OF THE GAME: Matt Burke, the entire defensive coaching staff, and every single player on defense…anyone involved in this debacle should be tarred and feathered. Putrid. Adam Gase, for once again showing no feel for the game, gets dishonorable mention.

JMP
Admin

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Game 8 thoughts: Dolphins at Texans

Post by JMP on Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:13 am

Post-game tweet from Armando:

@ArmandoSalguero
Adam Gase says he has not thought about replacing DC Matt Burke. Doesn’t think it will happen.

Of course it won't happen. If anything, Gase will probably tell us this week what a great job Burke is doing.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:16 am

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/dave-hyde-blog/fl-sp-hyde10-dolphins-texans-thoughts-20181025-story.html

Dave Hyde wrote:2. The Dolphin defense looks broken and all defensive coordinator Matt Burke could do was throw his tablet on the ground. Where do you want to start? With Houston’s 28-point second half? With three defensive penalties on one play in the fourth quarter? With coach Adam Gase calling for an onside kick at the start of the fourth quarter, primarily to keep the defense off the field? With Houston recovering that kick and throwing a 49-yard touchdown two plays later? There are lots of places to start. The defense’s strength was expected to be the pass rush, especially from the defensive ends. Houston had surrendered at third-worst 26-sacks entering Thursday. The Dolphins had zero this game. Then there’s the run defense that was in the top 10 through September. Now? It entered Thursday ranked 28th in surrendering 136.7 yards per game rushing and 22nd at 4.5 yards per carry. Those numbers will grow worse after this game. Lamar Miller had 18 carries for 133 yards — his second-most with the Texans. We can point at a lot of factors for that, but a prime one is middle linebacker Raekwon McMillan. He’s struggling. Plus, when Vincent Taylor left with injury, that left Akeem Spence and Davon Godchaux as the only defensive tackles. That should never happen. Of course, the secondary was equally awful. Fox couldn’t keep the Texans’ open receivers on the same screen as Dolphins defenders. So a week after Detroit had their most rushing yards (248) since 1997, Houston put up its most points of the season.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:46 am

Great write up, JMP.

First thing I do is move Fitzpatrick to starting FS.  Learn while you earn.  I'm willing to bet he'd be great out there.  He's got far more football IQ than the vast majority of the defense.

Time to go 46.  Our LBs are worthless at coverage, go for pure pressure.  Clog that line up, disguise blitzes, but always, ALWAYS show a stacked line and play press coverage.

Stop with the zone, STOP.  Our LB's are just standing there, the corners best abilities are neutered, and TJ McDonald looks like a simmering bag of shit.  At one point I said to my buddy, "McDonald has the best seat in the house.  Imagine getting paid millions to watch the game from the field like that."  Don't worry, he'll make an INT here soon so Gase thinks he's doing a good job.

On the other side, run the fucking ball.  RUN THE BALL.  60/40 split, run more than pass.  No, it's not ideal, but it's better than 1 yard forward, 30 yards to the left or right passes that lead the receiver out of bounds for no gain.  Our RBs have showed (particularly Gore) a penchant for making plays.  Let them make plays.  

If you want to be a trick play team, go full college on people's asses.  Let's see 15 trick plays a game, really put the defense off balance.  It takes pressure off the OL, loosens up the blitzing, confuses the LBs, and gives the retards something to talk about on pregame shows.

Gase shows about as much need/want to use his rookie players as George Allen.  Gesiki is involved in the offense in routes that are worthless for what his skill set is.  Whose fault is that, Gesiki or Genius Boy?  Ballage, IMO, is a good back.  He touches ball once in a blue moon.  Fitzpatrick is playing out of position on a team whose starting FS looks more out of place than Hillary Clinton at a Trump rally.

A couple of injuries and this team is beyond awful.  

Kudos to Devante Parker, and I hope he keeps it up.  I hope his issues are behind him, but unfortunately, he's earned the "I'll believe it when I see it consistently," moniker.  

By the way, no one can sit here and defend Osweiler for the same shit they bashed Tannehill for in the past.  Osweiler IS part of the problem just like Tannehill is.  He's not good enough, at all.  He was crap tonight.  Amendola was our best QB, and it wasn't close.  Osweiler is another backup QB who just isn't talented enough, but will steal money from the league for 10 more years.  Chad Henne still has a job.  AJ Feeley QB'd in the NFL for 11 flippin' years, and he was just awful.  I don't think we'd fare any better or worse with Fales at QB.  All you have to do to run this shit offense is be able to throw 0-10 yards.  That's it.

Osweiler's stats tonight were 21/37 241yds 0TD 1INT.  If that was Tannehill, the shit pile thrown at him would be huge, AND deserved.  Osweiler is a below-average backup QB on a god awful team.  You can't say that he'd do better with a better OL and then say Tannehill lacks pocket presence when he has 2 seconds to throw the ball.  You can't say that he's got leadership fire and qualities when he's just as milquetoast as Tannehill is.  I know everybody loves the backup goaltender, but in this case, it's just not true.  He's a turd.  A rich turd.  I think the guy's a good guy, and I really hope he turns into something great, but I'd bet against it, hard.  Who knows though, maybe both Tannehill and Osweiler are better than turds, and Gase is just creating the stink.  I think it's a combination.

By the way, that incomplete pass that should have been a TD for the Texans . . . yeah, imagine if that were Tannehill, imagine the vitriol.  

ARRGGGGGGH!  Are we EVER gonna have a good QB again?

Last edited by Degarmo on Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif on Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:13 am

The refs were absolutely brutal in this game. From the opening kickoff to the last play, they were almost as bad as the Fins.

Gase has zero clue on using the run game. Gore and Drake were running good. 4th and one, throw?

TJ McDonald was probably the worst of a putrid group of miss-tackling/non-covering defenders. Actually, I think Juwan James was our best tackler in the game. He had some brilliant JJ Watt takedowns.

But, don't worry, we should get our "Starting QB" back for the next game, plus we will have some extra time to gameplan. Gameplan? I know, that's hilarious with these bunch of dufusses running this team.
scotgif

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:02 am

Excellent post, Degarmo.

The Phins won't do anything as drastic as going to a 46 (though that would be great to see), but there are some easy ways to at least try to make the defense better.  

To start with, we have too many players playing out of position (again, square peg round hole).  So:

--Bobby McCain is a slot corner.  Put him back in the slot.  Start Tank outside...try to develop him.  If he gives up big plays, so what?  That's already happening.
--Minkah Fitzpatrick is a free safety.  Put him at free safety, and bench McDonald...who absolutely sucks.
--Jerome Baker is a weak-side LB. Put him at weak-side LB.  Put Alonso at MLB, and bench McMillan...who absolutely sucks.  Put Martrell Spaight at strong-side LB.

Next, give Vince Taylor more snaps at DT, and Akeem Spence fewer.

Finally, STOP PLAYING ZONE.  Just stop...it doesn't work.  Repeat - STOP.

And yes, on offense - become a full-blown running team.  Run, run, run - and then run some more.  It's the one thing we're pretty good at.  Take the ball out of Osehill's incompetent hands and run the damn ball.  And get Kalen Ballage involved.

Last edited by JMP on Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:29 am

--Minkah Fitzpatrick is a free safety. Put him at free safety, and bench McDonald...who absolutely sucks.

I'll add to that. Use McDonald to replace one of our LBs. At least his coverage skills are better, who cares if he's light in the running game? We aren't stopping a running back anyways, so at least let's try and patch up the passing defense.

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:39 am

white1 wrote:
--Minkah Fitzpatrick is a free safety. Put him at free safety, and bench McDonald...who absolutely sucks.

I'll add to that.  Use McDonald to replace one of our LBs.  At least his coverage skills are better, who cares if he's light in the running game? We aren't stopping a running back anyways, so at least let's try and patch up the passing defense.

McDonald has missed a ton of tackles, and it may be difficult to put him at a new position this late in the season - but at this point, why the hell not? Can't be any worse than what we're seeing now. (And yeah, that McDonald contract is fucking awful...one of the worst moves the Dolphins have made, in a sea of bad moves. Looks worse by the game.)

But I don't expect any big changes from the Dolphins. This entire coaching staff (with the exception of Rizzi) absolutely SUCKS - they don't teach, they don't prepare, they don't gameplan...complete incompetence at all levels.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:02 am

Saw this on Chris Kouffman's Twitter page:

Johnny Kinsley
‏ @Brickwallblitz

Texans gave up a league leading 75 quarterback hits and 26 sacks entering Thursday Night's matchup.

Dolphins defense only produced one quarterback hit and zero sacks against the Texans.

That is extremely bad.

Damn...that is pathetic. How do you not fire Burke after that, combined with everything we've been seeing for two seasons???

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:03 am

I think Mando suggested that Vance Joseph may come back if fired from Denver after this season.

Was his unit really much better? Can't remember the stats, but I think we had a few more good games that year than we will this year, and probably with less talent....

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris on Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:13 am

white1 wrote:I think Mando suggested that Vance Joseph may come back if fired from Denver after this season.

Was his unit really much better? Can't remember the stats, but I think we had a few more good games that year than we will this year, and probably with less talent....

Is Vance coming back as the head coach?

CarsonChris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:32 pm

white1 wrote:I think Mando suggested that Vance Joseph may come back if fired from Denver after this season.

Ugh...please God no!!!  Been there, done that.  The D may have been slightly better with Joseph, but it still wasn't good enough.  And his defense in Denver just gets worse and worse.  NO THANKS!!!

But we all know that Gase won't be able to get a good coach, so we may have to settle for scrubs like Joseph.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic on Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:45 pm

Heck, I doubt Bum's son Wade Phillips could get this defense to play well.

Some scheme shifts and some personnel shifts would help no doubt, but when the Opposing O-line is consistently whipping your D-line's are, Deion Sanders couldn't cover good WRs as long as Watson had to throw IMO!!!

Of course, when the DB stink about as bad as the D-line....and the LBs look corn-fused too....

I compared Burke to Olivadotti from the mid 1980s, and was sorta feeling guilty in September, but NOW....it was just about as bad as those 1980s teams, and you didn't get the enjoyment of watching Dan The Man sling the ball around on offense!!

And as somebody else posted....I am at a loss to explain just what the heck Gase is doing? Is he afraid of losing his "GENIUS" label by doing what works over and over? Got to change it up lest he be called boring?

When you have chickens...er...chicken feathers, but you keep expecting it to taste (perform) like chicken salad, maybe the problem is YOU!

Recognize the flaws in your team and call the game AROUND THOSE FLAWS!! to the best of your ability and the extent the Defense allows it.

Oh well....I will stick by 6-10....the Phins always seem to win one they should lose, and manage to screw up their draft status.

But then again, what would this bunch plutards do with a high draft pick! The very thought of it induces chills and nightmares!

finfanatic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 on Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:57 pm

Dont know if anyone's job is safe at this point. Watching the games nowadays are more like torture than excitement. I really don't care who is on the team at this point. The coaching staff is way beyond explanations or coach speak or press conferences. On a side note though, I find it very interesting that Gase won't call the defensive coaches out but he will certainly call out players.

Did Landry know that this was headed in this direction? Did Phillips? Did Suh? Miami has been notorious for getting good players but getting rid of them because of clashes with coaches. I get that you want your own people but, the game doesnt pay by character. It pays by wins. Miami has loooooooong been without superior talent.

This team is far and away a big cluster fuck. Everything in this organization is toxic. My first interview question to the next Vice President Football operations is how do you intend to Start over? Give this guy a blank canvass and let him paint his own picture. Let that guy build the team from the ground up. I mean pick the dirt, the cement, the tile, the paint, the uniforms, the chef, I mean EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!
Umix10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:32 pm

Umix10 wrote:Dont know if anyone's job is safe at this point.  Watching the games nowadays are more like torture than excitement.  I really don't care who is on the team at this point.  The coaching staff is way beyond explanations or coach speak or press conferences.  On a side note though,  I find it very interesting that Gase won't call the defensive coaches out but he will certainly call out players.  

Did Landry know that this was headed in this direction?  Did Phillips?  Did Suh?  Miami has been notorious for getting good players but getting rid of them because of clashes with coaches.  I get that you want your own people but, the game doesnt pay by character.  It pays by wins.  Miami has loooooooong been without superior talent.  

This team is far and away a big cluster fuck.   Everything in this organization is toxic.  My first interview question to the next Vice President Football operations is how do you intend to Start over?  Give this guy a blank canvass and let him paint his own picture.  Let that guy build the team from the ground up. I mean pick the dirt, the cement, the tile, the paint, the uniforms, the chef, I mean EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!

Fantastic post - right on, Umix.  

I just hope Ross opens his eyes and sees what is happening.  I'm hoping that Dan Marino has his ear and lets him know that none of this is acceptable.  Ross was pissed off at the way last season ended, and he was pissed off that we didn't draft a QB...with all the offseason blunders and the product he currently sees on the field, maybe he's finally realizing that Gase is a fraud??? But again - the solution starts with firing EVERYONE..not just the coaches.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif on Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:06 pm

What about REALLY putting Dan the Man to work and appointing HIM the Overall head of football operations, or whatever fancy title you want? Let HIM be the one to strip it down and build it up again. Let him hire a competent GM and let that person hire the coach and all the other parts.

I think we could use his talents a little better than shaking hands and kissing babies. I know the last time he was in this type of position, he wanted none of it. Hopefully, he is ready and willing at this point.
scotgif

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 on Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:50 pm

Dan the Football player is legendary. Dan the Competitor is unrivaled. Dan the front office guy is just a figure head. IMHO. He's been the special advisor to Ross the last I don't know how many years and we haven't had a decent team or QB. If he is, you know, actually advising, then he's part of the problem. If he isn't and only an advisor in name then I don't know that he is the right guy in that role either. Throwing missiles at Duper and Clayton is not the same as finding a head coach, evaluating talent, scouting, recruiting FA, balancing the cap....etc, etc, etc, etc. If he was coaching in some way or helping develop the QB's or schemes maybe I would look at it differently but at this point, IDK, At least if he failed it wouldn't be anything we haven't already seen.
Umix10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:50 pm

FYI Lions lose 28-14 at home, held to 34 yards rushing.

Disgusting Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

The Texans will probably score less than 20 in their next game.

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan on Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:29 am

JMP wrote:I just hope Ross opens his eyes and sees what is happening.

oh, he sees it alright and is plenty pissed and ready to do something. problem is, that something isn't the right thing.

Ross, 79 next May, isn’t going to abide waiting a year or two for a rookie quarterback to settle in. He has told past and present Dolphins personnel people he expects to win.

Now.

That’s the reason even when the Dolphins undergo something of a rebuild, as they did when Gase arrived in 2016 and again before this season, the work is done in a way to continue to be competitive that same year.

Ross, who made his billions in construction projects, isn’t enthusiastic about totally rebuilding his NFL team.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article220295125.html

the partial fixes, but never truly fixing anything will continue. the Phins will be stuck in perpetual mediocrity as long as Ross is the owner.

mercury22nathan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:11 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:
JMP wrote:I just hope Ross opens his eyes and sees what is happening.

oh, he sees it alright and is plenty pissed and ready to do something.  problem is, that something isn't the right thing.

Ross, 79 next May, isn’t going to abide waiting a year or two for a rookie quarterback to settle in. He has told past and present Dolphins personnel people he expects to win.

Now.

That’s the reason even when the Dolphins undergo something of a rebuild, as they did when Gase arrived in 2016 and again before this season, the work is done in a way to continue to be competitive that same year.

Ross, who made his billions in construction projects, isn’t enthusiastic about totally rebuilding his NFL team.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article220295125.html

the partial fixes, but never truly fixing anything will continue.  the Phins will be stuck in perpetual mediocrity as long as Ross is the owner.

Yep, "perpetual mediocrity" is what we can expect is Ross isn't willing to make a big change. No

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:36 am

You don't need to get rid of the entire team, but the front office has to go, and so does this coaching staff.

You can turn things around in a big hurry in the NFL with good management.
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:50 am

Tannenbaum, Grier and Gase make all these roster moves that supposedly increase the talent level every offseason - yet we see the same results. Clearly, coaching has played a big role in this shitshow. But that's what happens when the majority of your coaches are from losing organizations.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down