The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phins sign DT Ziggy Hood

+2
mercury22nathan
JMP
6 posters

Go down

Phins sign DT Ziggy Hood Empty Phins sign DT Ziggy Hood

Post by JMP Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:41 pm

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/30/dolphins-sign-defensive-tackle-ziggy-hood/

The 31-year-old Hood has been a solid starter in the past, and lends some depth to a group that has dealt with injuries all year.

The former Steelers first-rounder was released by Washington recently, after playing four games there. He has also had stints with the Jaguars and Bears.

I'm assuming this means that Vince Taylor's foot injury is worse than it initially appeared?

Anyway, this is a total "yawn" signing. Hood is a bottom-of-the-roster type at this stage of his career. I suppose the Phins are technically still in the playoff hunt, so that's probably why they want a vet...but I'd rather see what a young guy like Jamiyus Pittman (who the Phins just cut) could do if given a chance. Hood hasn't done anything of note in years.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Phins sign DT Ziggy Hood Empty Re: Phins sign DT Ziggy Hood

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:28 am

...this should very much alarm the Dolphins:

Last season, Pro Football Focus gave him [Hood] the second-lowest grade of any NFL player who wasn’t an offensive lineman.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article220869125.html

an over-aged, under-performing FA - that is so Dolphins.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:13 pm

I wrote about this in another thread. The latest two signings of FA defensive linemen reflect how desperate we are to shore up our weak defensive line.

This is not going to end well for us. Teams will run the ball at will, and there is no currently no end in sight through new players or scheme adjustments.

I'd actually recommend run blitzing on a large number of snaps, and play press man behind it. Hell, we are giving up more points than all but 1 or 2 teams anyways, at least TRY and stop the bleeding with pressure. Rushing 4, while linemen routinely get to our linebackers is not going to work, so do something different. Anything.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:32 pm

white1 wrote:I wrote about this in another thread.  The latest two signings of FA defensive linemen reflect how desperate we are to shore up our weak defensive line.

This is not going to end well for us.  Teams will run the ball at will, and there is no currently no end in sight through new players or scheme adjustments.  

I'd actually recommend run blitzing on a large number of snaps, and play press man behind it.  Hell, we are giving up more points than all but 1 or 2 teams anyways, at least TRY and stop the bleeding with pressure.  Rushing 4, while linemen routinely get to our linebackers is not going to work, so do something different.  Anything.

The Phins rarely blitz, and when they do the blitzes are telegraphed and easy to defend, and it rarely results in legit pressure on the QB. I'm not sure they've ever run a true "run blitz" under Burke, but I could be wrong...I do know that it's even more rare than a pass-rush blitz.

So yeah, we suck at blitzing. That said - I'm in complete agreement with you. What we do now clearly isn't working at all, so why not try something different? At least go down fighting by being aggressive, instead of just sticking with the status quo.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:33 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:
...this should very much alarm the Dolphins:

Last season, Pro Football Focus gave him [Hood] the second-lowest grade of any NFL player who wasn’t an offensive lineman.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article220869125.html

an over-aged, under-performing FA - that is so Dolphins.

The Miami Dolphins: where washed-up veterans that no one else wants come to collect one final payday.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:02 pm

this is what killing me. You need players to make the playoffs but you picking up players that underperform and not worth anything to the team. Obviously Miami doesn't care about as much as the Cowboys do.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:41 am

rightchea wrote:this is what killing me. You need players to make the playoffs but you picking up players that underperform and not worth anything to the team. Obviously Miami doesn't care about as much as the Cowboys do.

As much as Jerry Jones represents everything wrong with humanity, at least he clearly gives a damn about winning and is genuinely embarrassed when the Cowboys miss the playoffs. Can't say the same about Ross.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:52 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
rightchea wrote:this is what killing me. You need players to make the playoffs but you picking up players that underperform and not worth anything to the team. Obviously Miami doesn't care about as much as the Cowboys do.

As much as Jerry Jones represents everything wrong with humanity, at least he clearly gives a damn about winning and is genuinely embarrassed when the Cowboys miss the playoffs. Can't say the same about Ross.

Yes, as sickening of a jerkwad that guy is, the above is 100 percent true. Ross says he's "mad", but he doesn't look mad, not one bit. Maybe slightly disappointed. I think he's angrier that he realized that he'll never be able to buy the Jets, no matter what his deal with Goodell was Wink

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:58 pm

Maybe his face is stuck and he can't look mad Laughing Laughing

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:42 am

I had no idea the Phins signed DT Sylvester Williams. He had a good game yesetrday. He's a legit run stuffer, and was a very good signing IMO.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down