Reshad Jones took himself out of the Jets game

Go down

Reshad Jones took himself out of the Jets game

Post by JMP on Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:10 am

I didn't mention this in the game thoughts becuase I thought it deserved it's own thread.

So yesterday, the Dolphins finally decided to use Minkah Fitzpatrick at free safety (he also played boundary corner). To make room for Fitzpatrick at safety, they benched Reshad Jones and moved TJ McDonald to strong safety. McDonald did have a good game, but I personally would have played Reshad Jones and benched McDonald.

Anyway, Reshad apparently was so pissed off at the decision that he refused to go back in the game and essentially quit on the team. Chalk him up as yet another veteran player that is unhappy with the Miami coaching staff.

Here's what Dave Hyde had to say:
https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-hyde-dolphins-column-20181104-story.html
Dave Hyde wrote:
He quit on his team. He was in on 10 plays and refused to play more. He committed the biggest sin in pro sports by deciding he wasn’t playing anymore.

“It sounds like he pulled himself out [of the game],” Dolphins coach Adam Gase said. “So I’ve just got to find out what happened there.”

Injury related?

“I’m not sure,” Gase said.

But he pulled himself out?

“Yep, I haven’t gotten into it,” Gase said.

Here’s the story: The Dolphins wanted to get Fitzpatrick on the field more than half the time he played in the embarrassing loss to Houston. As they should. As his talent demands. The low total was because he only played slot corner in the nickel defense. If teams wanted, they could personnel him off the field. And, well, Houston wanted that because it had receivers running free all night.

To put Fitzpatrick on the field more meant taking someone off the field more. That someone was Jones. He was subbed out in the base defense for Fitzpatrick. That changed Sunday, as Fitzpatrick played 98 percent of the defensive plays (65 plays in all).

So Burke, made a target in recent weeks, decided to make some tough calls and this was the most obvious one.

Jones then made a call himself.

He pulled himself from the game because, well, he was being pulled from the game. Again, no injury — except hurt feelings.

Jones, you see, hasn’t always been a great pro. He’s regularly late for meetings and been fined repeatedly in recent years. He’s freelanced on defense in manner teammates have wondered about. But he’s also made a lot of big plays and been a Pro Bowl safety.

The larger issue: Why does this drama keep happening around this team? Jay Ajayi was traded. Jarvis Landry left. “Culture” was the big project last offseason. But in the past few weeks, defensive tackle Jordan Phillips was cut, receiver DeVante Parker’s agent called out Gase for not playing him (Parker on Sunday: One catch, eight yards) and now Jones pulled himself from the game.

One thing you’ve become accustomed to around the Dolphins in recent years is odd drama even on their good days. And Sunday was a good day. A win against an AFC East rival. A respite from bad news. A chance to right this season.

Gase wasn’t apologizing for pulling Jones and playing Fitzpatrick more. Nor should he.

“That’s what we had to do to win the game,” he said.

The question now is what happens to Jones. Is he welcomed back? Or does that empty locker become the last statement of another good Dolphins career that ended all wrong?

So, a few of things:

First, it seems like HEAD COACH Adam Gase didn't know what happened during the game. Perhaps the HEAD COACH should, you know, watch his defense every now and then???

Second, I don't blame Jones for being pissed off. But, you NEVER quit on your teammates - NEVER.

Finally, as Hyde said, it's a really bad look for this organization that the most talented veteran players on the team keep having issues with the coaching staff.

We'll see what happens...should be an interesting week.

JMP
Admin

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Reshad Jones took himself out of the Jets game

Post by DolFan 316 on Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:45 am

Millennials, I swear Rolling Eyes I'm amazed this sort of thing hasn't been happening to a team every week after the Vontae Incident. Never has there been a more narcissistic, sociopathic generation in history. I'm not talking American history, but human history period.

The worst part is, Jones is signed for a while (through 2022 I believe) so the Fins can;t just cut him, and if he retires all that cap hit I think goes onto next year when they already have the remainder of Suh's cap hit, and then of course if they want to release Tannehill...

Only this team could make a win seem like a loss. I thought I only had to worry about more players getting injured, but now guys are quitting too? I'm genuinely not sure if they'll even have enough players to field a team in 2 weeks. I'm serious. We may see the first NFL forfeit in 90-plus years due to a team not having enough bodies to play!

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan on Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:55 am

Amazingly, no Dolphins defenders I spoke with seemed surprised Jones stopped playing. None actually seemed to care. Maybe it was because they were too happy with the victory to really be worried one of the team’s best defenders quit during a game.

One source seemed to sum up the reaction to Jones’s actions when he said, “If he (Jones) doesn’t want to play for us, (bleep) it.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article221110450.html

definitely something to watch.

mercury22nathan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:59 am

mercury22nathan wrote:
Amazingly, no Dolphins defenders I spoke with seemed surprised Jones stopped playing. None actually seemed to care. Maybe it was because they were too happy with the victory to really be worried one of the team’s best defenders quit during a game.

One source seemed to sum up the reaction to Jones’s actions when he said, “If he (Jones) doesn’t want to play for us, (bleep) it.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article221110450.html

definitely something to watch.

I'm chalking that up to them just coming off their best performance of the season without him. Then again the way this season's going maybe half of them plan to quit during the next game.

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:02 pm

So apparently everything is now OK and Jones will play next week.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/05/reshad-jones-set-to-play-for-dolphins-in-week-10/

Gase said that Jones came to see him on Sunday night to talk to him. Gase didn’t detail the conversation, but said that he didn’t know Jones was unhappy about some things around the team. Gase also said that the chat ended with the two men on the “same page” and doesn’t expect any issues from Sunday to linger around the team this week.

As a result, Gase said that Jones will play against the Packers in Week 10

I'm going to use that word again: accountability.

First, Gase had no clue about Jones pulling himself and didn't know he was unhappy...how about you do your damn job, Coach, and realize that there are three parts of a football team, not just one? No accountability.

Second, Jones doesn't get disciplined for quitting during a game? Really?? Everything is all puppy dogs and rainbows now, and we just move on like it's OK? What's preventing the next unhappy player from doing something similar? No accountability.

This team is run like a damn shit-show.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan on Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:08 pm

Coach Adam Gase’s latest headache might reach far higher on the food chain, and start with his defensive coordinator, Matt Burke, and how he communicates with his players.

But when asked if he is comfortable with how Burke communicates with Miami’s defensive players, Gase responded, tellingly.

“I’ll have more of an idea here throughout the day and [Tuesday]. I’ll figure out a lot of the things that happened throughout the week and on game day.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article221142755.html

looks like this episode might get pinned on Burke. but wow, its really pathetic that Gase has no idea what happened on his team last weeK.

mercury22nathan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:22 pm

So Gase doesn't really have a feel for how Burke communicates with his players, but he's going to solve the mystery later today or tomorrow. Ummm...is Gase the HEAD COACH, or isn't he??? Suspect

How does anyone let this guy be a head coach??? WTF!!!

Of course, this is all good news for Gase, because now he has his fall guy: this sets up Burke to be fired during the bye week (after the Packers shred his defense), and Gase gets to throw another person under the bus to save his job.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:57 pm

Jones is a far better player than McDonald at Strong Safety and this seems like Burke took a chance to stick it to Jones for whatever reason (late, blah, blah, blah, all that shit they say when they want to 8-ball a guy).  That's a shit move by a shit coach.

You know who else free lanced?  Half the guys on defense in the Hall of Fame.  This "freelancing" shit is just weak coach speak for "a guy I can't control".  Jones' personality was well known, as was his talent, long before this game.  Jones on the field gives us a far better defense than McDonald on the field, even though McDonald can be solid at his natural position of SS.

All this is, ALL this is, is weak-willed coaches who are losing their veterans on a poor team.  This is just another sign of the impending implosion.  Also, Gase in no way did not know what was going on.  He's creating distance so he can blame Burke, period.  Gase isn't stupid, he's a weasel and a snake.
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea on Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:36 pm

I am surprised that Jones hasnt been traded yet....

Sent from Topic'it App

rightchea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:24 am

rightchea wrote:I am surprised that Jones hasnt been traded yet....

The trade deadline was last week, so no more trades till the offseason. But yeah...if Gase is back, Jones is gone.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:27 am

JMP wrote:

The trade deadline was last week, so no more trades till the offseason.  But yeah...if Gase is back, Jones is gone.

Again, with the cap hit that would entail I don't see how, unless he's traded for a 7th or something. IMO Burke is the goner here.

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:32 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:

The trade deadline was last week, so no more trades till the offseason.  But yeah...if Gase is back, Jones is gone.

Again, with the cap hit that would entail I don't see how, unless he's traded for a 7th or something. IMO Burke is the goner here.

If we learned anything this past offseason, it's that Tannenbaum doesn't care about cap hits from cutting players. They'll manipulate the cap so they'll still have room to sign a garbage O-lineman!

And Burke is definitely gone regardless...maybe as soon as the bye. Gase needs his scapegoat.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan on Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:31 am

JMP wrote:But yeah...if Gase is back, Jones is gone.

agreed. as a matter of fact, the Phins looked to get rid of Jones this past offseason as part of the culture change.

Here’s one irony of safety Reshad Jones essentially quitting on the team Sunday and removing himself from the Jets game:

After last season, one factor that was weighed in Dolphins personnel decisions was what players quit during lopsided games. For example, the Dolphins believed some players quit during the second half of the Carolina game on Monday Night Football, when the Panthers ran roughshod over the Dolphins.

But a Dolphins source said before the season that one of several reasons the Dolphins kept Reshad Jones is that he didn’t quit and always gave maximum effort. That source cited one play in which Jones ran a long way for a tackle late in the 29-13 Christmas Eve loss in Kansas City.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article220960735.html

you don't look for reasons to keep someone unless you have first considered the possibility of getting rid of them. i believe the kerfuffle for Jones is that he's seen the handwriting on the wall with the drafting of Fitzpatrick and now the plan to split their reps at FS. and we all thought the plan was for Minkah to replace TJ, but in the Phins world of thinking - its Reshad who was (is) on the hot seat.

mercury22nathan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan on Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:36 am

Miami Dolphins defensive coordinator Matt Burke, whose job security has been a topic of speculation the past few weeks, is not facing the possibility of being fired this season, sources familiar with the team’s plans told The Miami Herald Tuesday.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article221146380.html

i kind of agree. no point in getting rid of Burke now. fire all of them together (Gase, Burke, Loggains, Kocurek, Washburn, etc.) at once.

mercury22nathan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea on Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:36 am

all I have to say is if miami does get rid of Jones they better not play against him because he gonna RIP through miami

Sent from Topic'it App

rightchea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif on Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:58 pm

Only the Dolphins could look at TJ McDonald and Reshad Jones and say, yeah, let's keep TJ in there and sit Jones. Why not play Minkah and Jones together? If ANYONE should sit it is TJ. How many missed tackles has he been a part of this year?
scotgif

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea on Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:05 pm

exactly. but you know Gase only like loyal dogs that dont talk back

Sent from Topic'it App

rightchea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 on Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:12 pm

rightchea wrote:all I have to say is if miami does get rid of Jones they better not play against him because he gonna RIP through miami

Sent from Topic'it App

I'd 100% agree with you but, this team needs an overhaul.  Jones quitting isn't a one time thing.  Landry did the same thing and look where he's at now.   Jones commands a heavy salary.  He's been frustrated and I get it  but he's been inured too.  With the injuries and age, and the overhaul this team needs.  The best thing for the future of Miami is to send him packing and build the defense around Fitzpatrick and the young corners. I like Jones I think he plays with a reckless abandon but, he's the only one and the coaches don't seem to have a clue.  So I would use him in the off season to leverage some picks. I wouldnt worry about what he'd do to us because quite frankly everybody is doing it to us!!!!!!!!!!1
Umix10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan on Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:46 am

Burke asked Jones, Bobby McCain and T.J. McDonald to all sacrifice snaps to get rookie Minkah Fitzpatrick on the field more against the Jets.

McCain and McDonald followed those instructions without incident and returned to the field when their temporary benching was up.

But once Jones was asked to come off the field after 10 snaps, he never returned.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article221306405.html

so Jones wasn't the only one who had to sacrifice snaps, but he was the only one who quit. the Jones issue aside, tell me if i'm off base here... why are the Phins rotating a rookie into all these different positions not just during the season, but in a single game? shouldn't they come up with a game plan for a specific opponent and decide who the best players are to play which positions and go with it unless there is an injury? this almost seems like they have no idea who is good at what and are trying to figure things out like you would in the preseason. no wonder the secondary has communication issues.

back to Jones...

Still, Jones was more defiant than contrite during his brief media availability inside the Dolphins locker room after practice Wednesday.

Do you have any regrets?

“No. Not at all.”

something is definitely fishy here.

mercury22nathan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:49 am

The Gase Jones relationship has become like modern-day parent-child relationships, where the kids are bossing the parents around and if the parent even THINKS about telling their own children what to do it's considered abuse and Child Services will come swooping in. Just completely disgusting.

mercury22nathan wrote:something is definitely fishy here.

I see what you did there Razz

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:08 pm

Gase is not a leader, and he doesn't garner respect, particularly from the defense whom Gase obviously does not care about, and the team sees it on game days.

There is no reason to bench your, by far, best strong safety to get Fitzpatrick on the field. You bench the free safety, let Fitzpatrick play his position, and stop moving him around. Let him and Jones build chemistry.

No, this isn't about any of that aforementioned stuff. This is a personality issue between weak-willed coaches and players. Anyone outspoken will be ostracized. This wasn't just a momentary temper tantrum for Jones, no matter what's being reported. This built up on both sides over a period of time. They'll dump Jones soon enough and he'll go on to play excellent football somewhere else.
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down