MORE BREAKING NEWS: Grier gets a promotion, Tannenbaum re-assigned

Go down

MORE BREAKING NEWS: Grier gets a promotion, Tannenbaum re-assigned

Post by JMP on Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:16 am

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/31/chris-grier-takes-over-as-head-of-football-operations-in-miami/

As expected, the team announced that executive vice president of football operations Mike Tannenbaum will no longer continue in that role. Per the team, he has been reassigned to another role while General Manager Chris Grier has been promoted to run the team’s football operations.

Grier will report to Dolphins owner Stephen Ross in that role and the team announced that the new coach will report to Grier. That’s a change from the structure with Gase and Tannenbaum and Ross said in a statement that the team wanted “a more streamlined structure for accountability” as they move forward.

Grier has worked for the Dolphins since 2000 and went from director of college scouting to G.M. in 2016.

Well, I guess that's something. I do like the change in structure, but I wanted Grier and Tannenbaum out. Seems crazy to give Grier so much power since he's been a big part of this mess for such a long time, but I'll hold out hope as long as a legit coaching staff is put together.

JMP
Admin

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: MORE BREAKING NEWS: Grier gets a promotion, Tannenbaum re-assigned

Post by CarsonChris on Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:41 am

Grier is garbage. We haven’t had a great draft since he’s been director of college scouting

CarsonChris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:45 am

I had to switch to my PC because I'm thinking a lot of thoughts and want to be able to type them all as fast as I can.

1. I'm feeling very angry with Gase today, for a number of reasons. There is so much flying around on Twitter I don't have the links, but apparently the players HATED HIM. Frank Gore(!), Stills, and Wake privately "disavowed" Gase. It sounds like both Gore and Stills talked to Ross directly. Gore, btw, is basically my hero. The guy works like no other and I love watching him run the ball. I can only hope now that Gase is out he comes back on a one year deal. Drake indicated he wanted a trade if Gase remains - oh, yes he IS our best offensive weapon. Also, I hear this smug asshole was not all that upset he got fired today because "he knows other teams are interested." Well GREAT! Hey, as long as YOU ARE OK. Goddamn it he RUINED OUR ROSTER. That's the conclusion I'm reaching. Gase had total control. He's the guy that dumped the talent, signed crap Free Agents, made shitty draft picks, and yet he's going to be just fine. Fuck this guy. I was a fan, now he's dead to me. I hope whatever team he signs with sucks forever. And his star QB perpetually gets hurt and misses half the games every season.

2. Omar says Ross wanted to take more time to figure out his final decision but "something happened" to accelerate his timetable. Gase was asked to relinquish control of the 53 man roster and refused. I guess at this point the relationship deteriorated and Gase had not spoken to Ross in weeks. I hear it all the time at my job and it's true: Relationships at work are key. I've seen smart people fired because they had terrible relationships with their boss and peers. Being smart is not enough. I'm encouraged that Ross/Tannenbaum SOMEONE recognized the problem and tried to get Gase to give up his control. Of course, the arrogant prick refused and that's why he's gone today.

3. I'm oddly satisfied with the developments this morning, because Ross gave me about 75% of what I wanted. No, he did not totally clean house, which would have been my preference, but he did make sweeping changes. I like that he implemented a new power structure. Further, I agree with the GM running the football operation - NOT the head coach. Head coaches make emotional, knee-jerk decisions like trading away their best running back, signing Jay Cutler to a $10 million deal, refusing to bench Tannehill, you know what I'm talking about. A GM is going to try and build a program that can sustain long term, and he will not dump talent unless he can get comparable value in return. The GM is going to hire the head coach, so through the interview process it is ensured that the GM and coach are in agreement on what is important. This includes offensive and defensive schemes, the players that are most important in those schemes, where it makes sense to invest the most money, where it makes sense to go with rookies and journeymen.

4. Chris Grier. Now that I've talked about power structure, let's consider the man. From a PR perspective, I LOVE the fact that we have one of the only (and if Newsome retires the only) minority GM in the league. For a team that is constantly irrelevant, I view this as important. It's one thing we can point to and be proud of, for once. Beyond that point, finally - FINALLY - we have an actual FOOTBALL GUY leading this team. He started with us back in 2000, and rose through the ranks of our scouting organization. Believe what you will, but Ross pointed to the fact that Grier is respected among the scouting community. I think that holds water given his resume and experience. I don't know which players/draft picks Grier liked and/or recommended. But I'm sure Ross knows because he's always in the draft room. If he thought Grier was the guy making all these bad picks, no way IMO he gets the job.

5. I'm surprised. Surprised that Ross moved so quickly. Surprised he landed on a power structure I agree with. Surprised that I actually feel optimistic. Maybe it was all the news on how bad Gase really was. Realizing we are better off without him.

6. What do I want next? The available head coaching ranks seem to be thin. I'd give Dan Campbell a shot, because we are so sick of this finesse bullshit and he fielded one of our most physical squads in recent memory. I hear he was fairly impressive and lost out on a narrow margin to Gase last time. Honestly, I would love it if we hired him. We could do far worse. The main thing in his interview would be how he plans to fill out his coaching staff. He's not an Xs and Os guy, so he needs to bring experience at both OC and DC.

I'd be nit picking if I complained that Tannenbaum was not fired but "reassigned". I'm guessing he may fill a contract negotiation niche or something, but that may be a poor guess, it's rare to promote someone and have their former boss in a subordinate role. Again, whatever - Grier reports to Ross and he needs to answer for the 2019 results and the vision moving forward for our squad.

GO FINS!!!

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:45 am

Grier is garbage. We haven’t had a great draft since he’s been director of college scouting

I don't think we can make that assumption, because he's never had control. Most recently, Gase had total roster control.

He's got it now. Let's see what he does with it.

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:02 pm

Oh my God it's almost like I'm in some kind of parallel universe! I LOVE THIS.

This from Ross just now via Barry Jackson Twitter:

"I don't want a bunch of old free agents. Where will we be? Anywhere between 6-10 and 10-6. That's not good enough. I would hope I don't have to go 3-13, but whatever it's going to take to build the organization."

I can't believe this! Finally a philosophy I can agree with! VIOLENTLY!

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:10 pm

Wow! Awesome that Ross said that - looks like he's finally starting to get it.

And, great posts white...I'm in complete agreement.

When stand-up players like Gore and Wake don't like you...that probably means you suck.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea on Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:22 pm

sounds like the whole locker room didnt like Gase the way he baby Tannehill and also the Jay Cutler thing as well.

Sent from Topic'it App

rightchea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:33 pm

Barry Jackson
‏Verified account @flasportsbuzz

Ross wants young roster, young free agents. Didn't use word rebuilding but that is clearly message

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea on Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:42 pm

he probably doesnt want to rebuild but to build on what we have.....

Sent from Topic'it App

rightchea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris on Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:58 pm

There’s one reason I hate this. Grier won’t have an impartial view of the scouting staff. He’s been involved for 18 years. I want a fresh perspective on everything and everyone. 3 drafts or 4 drafts ago we didn’t even know who to draft with our last pick. Could have thrown a dart at the available players list and did what we did.

CarsonChris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:35 pm

The reason I'm willing to give Grier a clean-slate shot is this. We don't know the guys he "pounded the table" for, or recommended, or whatever. I'm willing to see if he's the next hotshot or not. I know that he's extremely well respected as knowing his shit as far as scouting, so maybe it was the shitheads above him like Jeff Ireland or Mike Tannenbaum that screwed it up for him.

Time will tell.
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea on Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:30 pm

supposedly he was apart of the scouting team for the Pat's and recommended miami to after Brady in 2000. So IMO I feel that he might be good at his job at least in the scouting department

Sent from Topic'it App

rightchea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn on Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:11 pm

We will find out about Grier, but it is excellent news to finally have this structure in place.

Miami had to give Shula and Johnson final say to keep Shula and later get Jimmy, that's understandable--we're talking about two guys who had won back to back Super Bowls. The problem is, from Wanny on up to the present, not a single coach we've hired has deserved it.

Last year's draft just had the latest example. We had a chance at a rookie QB, we could have traded down for Jackson, or just sat still and taken Rudolph in the third. The latter would have been an excellent long-term value IMO. Why didn't we? Gase said it himself: we'd be using a third round pick on someone who "isn't going to help you THIS YEAR."

Newsflash: Brady is still in the league and there's holes all over this roster (some of them created by Gase's ego, but that's another topic). The second coming of Joe Montana wouldn't have helped you win it "this year". But while Baker had his moments, a potential 10 year starter at QB in the third round was your best LONG-TERM value. And we repeatedly passed up long-term value for quick fixes and role players who might help "right now".

I'm glad to see that end. At least, I'm hopeful it finally will. Gase knew that 2017 exposed him, and he wasn't interested in looking beyond this year. Neither was Wanny at any time.

Glad to see it end. Hoping that Grier will at least interview Campbell, looks like a lot of teams are interested in him.

HalCHorn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:22 pm

All I know for certain about Grier is that when he was with the Pats they were trending seriously and severely downward, and then when they parted ways with him that's precisely when they became the annoyingly, absurdly unstoppable juggernauts we know and loathe.

Oh well, as the old Meat Loaf song goes, two out of three ain't bad.

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:26 am

A hell of a song it is too.

Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea on Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:30 am

omar Kelly tweeted that he doesnt trust Grier either. Ross is making the illusion of change by making Grier the GM of football operations and it seems like people are seeing through it

rightchea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:56 am

I'm willing to give Grier a chance.  I wanted him fired, but it is what it is.  I want to see what he does with the head coaching search first.

I do love the structure, though - no need for the head coach to report to the owner...that's just stupid.

Last edited by JMP on Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:58 pm

Strong article by a writer who's covered the team for years and is happy with the Grier promotion: https://theathletic.com/749480/2019/01/04/alzugaray-stephen-ross-makes-a-good-move-by-putting-chris-grier-a-football-guy-in-charge/

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:28 pm

white1 wrote:Strong article by a writer who's covered the team for years and is happy with the Grier promotion:  https://theathletic.com/749480/2019/01/04/alzugaray-stephen-ross-makes-a-good-move-by-putting-chris-grier-a-football-guy-in-charge/

I can't read the article, but I always liked Orlando Alzugaray - The Big O. I know a lot of people hate him, but to me he's always been a straight shooter and he calls it like he sees it. And he's right - at least we have a football guy in charge now. That's a HUGE turnaround from Tannenbaum running the show and Ross being "in charge" of the head coach.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:38 pm

I won't steal it since it's paid content, but I will paste a few of my favorite quotes:

In fact, tongue in cheek, I’ve said that I would love to sit down with him over a drink and a cigar and talk football. In that conversation we would talk about the crazy spending in free agency, the fact that he had an accountant making football decisions and the crazy power struggle he continually created by having too many chefs in the proverbial kitchen.

Over the last few months, I’ve written here at The Athletic and said on my radio shows locally and nationally (Sirius Mad Dog Sports Radio) that Ross needed to clean house by firing Mike Tannenbaum and Adam Gase. In fact, I’m the only host or writer to say for months that he should get rid of everyone else and place Chris Grier in charge. Why? Because he was the only football person I respected in that triangle.

The men that have been in charge of the Dolphins the last 15 years have garnered some respect, but it has been far from unanimous. The one gentleman that gets constant, widespread respect on the road is Chris Grier.

Oh, that’s the other thing I predict you won’t see under Grier: no more seven-year projects. If a quarterback doesn’t have it, he won’t be around long enough to get a ton of people fired the way it happened with Ryan Tannehill.

No one can predict the future, but at the outset, Dolphins fans should feel better about this hire than lots of others they have made in the past. Why? This one makes football sense.

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:12 am

Good stuff from The Big O. Let's hope he's right!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down