The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the real story of the Flores hire

+6
HalCHorn
rightchea
JEGnj
white1
JMP
mercury22nathan
10 posters

Go down

the real story of the Flores hire Empty the real story of the Flores hire

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:41 am

don't get me wrong, i am fine with the hiring of Flores - especially considering he was about the best the Phins could get in light of the overall available candidates. and it appears that Ross is finally letting his football person handle all the football things...

Stephen Ross has hired three head coaches during his 10 seasons as Miami Dolphins owner. Joe Philbin wasn’t totally his idea, but rather him taking the advice of a search committee and people he trusted. Adam Gase was completely on him as he identified Gase and stuck with him despite advice to strongly consider others.

The hiring of New England Patriots linebacker coach and defensive play-caller Brian Flores also isn’t entirely on Ross, per multiple sources. That one’s on general manager Chris Grier.

Ross obviously signed off on the Flores hiring, as he did the others, and will bring the coach to South Florida on his private jet Monday morning to finalize him being named Dolphins coach.

But Ross allowed Grier, who has been newly empowered on all things Dolphins football, to push this hire, per sources.

So why did Grier go with Flores?

It begins with the fact they have known each other a long time and are friends. In fact, several Dolphins coaches who have moved on have told the Herald it was an no secret within the organization that Grier was focused on Flores as the favorite to be Miami’s new coach even before interviews began.

So where did Grier’s affinity for Flores begin?

Flores began his time with the Patriots as a scouting assistant in 2004. He did that for two years and then was in the pro scouting department for two years. Grier was a Dolphins-area scout, then assistant director of college scouting, then director of college scouting during that time.

So the Patriots’ personnel man and the Dolphins’ personnel man often crossed paths.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article225404210.html

...but this idea that Flores was the anointed one even before the interview process began because he and Grier were buddies on the scouting road leaves me feeling a little underwhelmed. i guess we'll see.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

the real story of the Flores hire Empty Re: the real story of the Flores hire

Post by JMP Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:04 am

I'm totally OK with this. I think the GM should hire the head coach, and if Grier wants to hire someone he knows and trusts, that's a good thing. We may FINALLY have a front office and coaching staff that speak the same language, are on the same page, and have a shared vision for building the team.

Put is this way: the past three years we've had Tannenbaum, Grier and Gase all with different agendas, valuing different traits in players, and battling for control and power. That created a toxic environment that was doomed to fail. Now, we have a situation where people can actually work together for the good of the team. I'm genuinely excited to see how this plays out. On paper, it's an ideal setup.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:38 pm

I see your point and it’s valid.

I’m totally okay with it, echoing JMP thoughts.

Let’s build the damn trenches and field tough, physical teams again.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:40 pm

You spend the last decade with the Patriots, just won the Super Bowl, and wake up Monday morning and have a private jet take you to Miami to be named the next HC of the Miami Dolphins. What the hell was he thinking?
In other news
Tannehill to be released by Dolphins.
Na Na Na Na, hey hey hey, Goodbye
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:43 pm

He’s a head coach now, and working for a GM he knows and trusts, and an owner who will pay whatever it takes if we want something.

It’s a good opportunity. Good teams with good rosters don’t fire their head coach. You have to expect problems, that’s why you’re replacing someone that was just fired.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:54 pm

The problem that I have is why people mad that Miami just hired a guy who help the Pats win the superbowl. He not even a DC but called the right plays to get their Defense on the right road to success. Like JMP stated coaches being hired should be a move that the GM makes because they need to be on the same page when everything goes down. Miami has too long needed a actual winning coach. Since Wannstedt, Miami has not seen a win during the playoffs. For the fact that Flores has been on a team that hasn't missed one playoff and has competed in multiple superbowls. I feel this move isn't just good but important for fans to see that there is a united front for once.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:06 pm

rightchea wrote:I feel this move isn't just good but important for fans to see that there is a united front for once.

Great point. For years the Phins haven't had real leadership and or a real plan to build the team. Now, we have a GM, assistant GM and head coach that are all on the same page. We cn start moving in the right direction - finally.

The first thing I want to see is a commitment to building a tough team that doesn't get pushed around - and that starts with offensive line and defensive line.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:26 pm

We might as well just start calling Flores "The Anti-Gase". Check this out:

Aditi Kinkhabwala
✔️
@AKinkhabwala

(1/2) One hour after his defense stifled one of the @NFL’s most potent offenses, Brian Flores walked w/ his wife & two young sons from @MBStadium to @Patriots’ team hotel, unrecognized. I said, “You’re a #SuperBowl champion & abt to be #Dolphins HC & you don’t rate a car?”

(2/2) Brian Flores smiled and said, “You always have to stay humble. I’m just a man of the people.” #Dolphins fans, you’ll be introduced to just the sort of human you want leading your team later today.

How cool is that!!! I love this guy already...no ego at all. He's a leader just by being who he is...no need to act like an arrogant prick like Gase.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:42 pm

Sit down and hold on to your chests but I was impressed with first few interviews and press conference. Seems we have a genuine and humble person that wants the best in his players on and off the field. Get a real NFL QB in here and hopefully he turns things around.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:20 pm

Yeah, hearing from him sounds like He isn't trying to fake it at all. Gase seems to be trying too hard to impress people

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:38 pm

I have to echo JMP's thoughts. I was underwhelmed at first a few weeks ago, but after seeing his defense the past three games and hearing him today, I think the Fins may have finally gotten this right.

Look at what Patricia's D did in last year's Super Bowl, and compare that to what Flores' D did in this year's Super Bowl. I know which guy I'd rather have as my head coach right there.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:16 am

So far everything I’ve seen from this guy screams winner. I was never sold on Gase. His reputation got inflated with Manning behind center.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:41 am

Yeah, the press conference was very impressive - especially when you consider that Flores just won the Super Bowl the night before and flew to Miami that night. I can't imagine he got much sleep or had any time to prepare. He's not the best public speaker, but he came across very competent and said what I wanted to hear.

The thing that stands out the most is that Flores appears to be a genuine, down to Earth guy that is passionate not just about football, but about people. I loved hearing him talk about "team first" and being "selfless" and "working together". Seems like we are finally going to have a team based on committment and accountability, from the people that clean the offices at night to the last player on the roster. I also like the fact that he's not pretending to know everything - he knows that he can't do this alone, and it seems like he's putting together a very strong staff.

It was also important that Flores mentioned that there will be some hard times ahead. I don't want this team to think that they're "close"...that's how you get in trouble. It's a process, and the foundation needs to be built first. It sounds like we are finally committed to building with an eye toward the long-term, building something that will last.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:57 am

i was very impressed with Flores' press conference.  i think he's a real leader.  my only concern now is that he's only known success at the highest levels in his professional scouting and coaching career as he's been with NE the whole time.  i just hope he's really, really prepared for the lowest of the lows he's about to face.  sometimes people who have only known success have a hard time facing failure.  based on his background, i don't think it will be problem, but we just won't know until it happens.  in the meantime, i'm happy with the direction things are headed.

oh, and another thing.  is there anyway we can keep Ross from attending this coach introductions?  i know its his team and all, but really dude...  i mean he gave almost the exact same speech he gave after Gase's hiring about finally hiring a "real" leader.  it would just be better if Ross just said nothing.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:06 am

mercury22nathan wrote:i was very impressed with Flores' press conference.  i think he's a real leader.  my only concern now is that he's only known success at the highest levels in his professional scouting and coaching career as he's been with NE the whole time.  i just hope he's really, really prepared for the lowest of the lows he's about to face.  sometimes people who have only known success have a hard time facing failure.  based on his background, i don't think it will be problem, but we just won't know until it happens.  in the meantime, i'm happy with the direction things are headed.

That's a great point. Reminds me of what Parcells always said about QBs - you don't really know about a QB until you see him face adversity...that's when you really know what type of player he is. I think the same is true of coaching. But like you said, Flores' upbringing, core beliefes and attitude make me think he is well prepared to go through the tough times he'll face with this team. I also think the way Flores and the Patriots' D overcame Patrick Chung's loss in the Super Bowl gave us a hint of how Flores can deal with problems as they arise...that defense didn't skip a beat despite losing one of their most important players early on.

And yes...keep Ross away from the microphone!!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:45 pm

I agree, Flores SEEMS to be the real deal. Doesn't mean he can be a HC.

And I Hate to keep harping on it, but the main problems is not the coaching, the owner, etc... it is the personnel decisions and 90% of that is the Drafting!!

You could put Shula in his prime, Bill Walsh, Belichick....whoever you want in as HC...and if the personnel decisions are as abysmal as they have been.... and NO HC is going to succeed IMHO.

So maybe...maybe consolidating all the power in one GM and allowing him to bring in a HC who will be fully onboard with the GM's personnel plan and development path MIGHT just be the cure for what has been the BANE of the Phins for decades!

With as many holes as this team will have, I am not expecting TOO MUCH this year in the draft. I think they are gonna try and trade down and acquire more picks this year and next. Get some good young, cheap DEVELOPMENTAL players. Cast off the aging overpaid Vets, go young and let the coaching staff DEVELOP the players.

Like with the Pats. The Young guys start out looking fairly shaky, but by the end of the season, they are playing WELL. Well enough to win another SB.

So, on the draft this year, I am not gonna immediately jump off the nearest bridge if it looks sort of lackluster. I think we will be able to tell far more about how the overall team building philosophy has changed with how the free agency period goes.

Dump the aging Vets with high cap numbers and stay off the market for anyone who wants big money. Look to get a few developmental guys with UPSIDES.

So we will know this free agent period is my thinking.

Let's hope this IS a turning point, and not another in a long , Long, LONG line of rebuilds.

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:23 am

Great post Fanatic. I agree with you all the way. I would only add that, of the things you mentioned I feel the greatest importance that is the most overlooked is the identity of the team. I thought Sparano was on to something but was let go a little to early for my liking. I thought Phillbin tried to run it like we had the same type players as the packers. Gase was just to easy influenced by his own hype and unwillng to see what we all see.

Identity!!!!!!!!!! More than anything that Flores does should revolve on that one simple task. Miami has lacked one for decades. He is certainly off too a good start by surrounding himself with "veteran football guys". While I dont think he is an advocate of "tanking for Tua", it is evident that grier wants to get younger and cheaper with a big emphasis on the draft. Dumping the veterans with hefty contracts gives you a very young team with a lot of mental mistakes that veterans don't make. IMHO moving forward means 3 steps back.

We are far and away from a couple of players to help us over the hump. Keep the money and build your staff. 2 First time coordinators need to figure out what they want to do. Lead them before you lead the team. Coaching has been absent from this organization for a long time. At this point its not about X's and O's it about getting talent, nurturing their abilities, and working together. Then it becomes about the x's and o's
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:06 am

For the firs time in years, it SEEMS as though we have a plan. It looks like the FO and the HC are on the same page as far as direction of the team. This fanbase has been deprived of any REAL hope of success for far too long.

Even though it is going to be a painfully poor season as far as wins and losses is concerned, I am looking forward to seeing how Grier and Flores move this team in the right direction.

Never been a big Caldwell fan, but I do respect his football knowledge and invaluable experience he will bring to our first time head coach. If we can get Capers as some sort of defensive consultant, I will be thrilled.

I can actually see the formation of a plan.

And a coach not afraid to surround himself with coaches much more experienced than him. Not like the bunch of yes men that boy wonder had.

Next step, start making roster moves and assembling talent.

Color me re-invigorated.
scotgif
scotgif

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down