The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Release trade and FA News

+7
finfanatic
HalCHorn
scotgif
mercury22nathan
white1
JMP
rightchea
11 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Release trade and FA News Empty Release trade and FA News

Post by rightchea Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:56 pm

So here is the first tidbit of outseason news

Megan Armstrong wrote:The Miami Dolphins reportedly are parting ways with wide receiver Danny Amendola after just one season together, per NFL Network's Ian Rapoport.
The 33-year-old wide receiver's release will save the Dolphins $6 million in guaranteed money as Amendola was entering his second season under a two-year, $12 million contract, per Spotrac.
Amendola's most notable seasons came while playing elsewhere in the AFC East with the New England Patriots, where he played from 2013 to 2017.
According to Rapoport, Amendola and his agent had "many discussions" with the hope of staying in Miami, both sides decided to move on.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2824602-danny-amendola-reportedly-released-by-dolphins-after-1-season-with-team

also...…..

Charean Williams wrote:Cameron Wake has spent 10 seasons in Miami, playing 146 games and making 98 sacks. But the defensive end likely has played his final game for the Dolphins.
Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald reports that multiple teams have interest in Wake as a free agent, while the Dolphins have not made a serious effort to re-sign him.
General Manager Chris Grier last week was non-committal on Wake’s future with the team.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/07/report-cameron-wake-expected-to-leave-dolphins-as-free-agent/

and......

Rob Goldberg wrote:The Miami Dolphins are reportedly considering either trading or releasing defensive end Robert Quinn, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2823988-nfl-trade-rumors-dolphins-discussing-potential-robert-quinn-deal-release

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Release trade and FA News Empty Re: Release trade and FA News

Post by JMP Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:46 am

Good. Out with the aging, declining veterans. Youth movement!!

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:23 pm

Agreed
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:11 pm

Kevin Nogle wrote:The Miami Dolphins are signing free agent tight end Dwayne Allen, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter. The Miami Herald’s Armando Salguero adds that the deal is a two-year contract. Allen met with the Dolphins earlier this week after being released by the New England Patriots on March 2.

Under NFL rules, because Allen was released by the Patriots, he is free to sign immediately. Players with expiring contracts cannot sign with new teams until March 13.

https://www.thephinsider.com/2019/3/9/18257700/2019-free-agency-miami-dolphins-dwayne-allen

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:44 pm

Solid signing. Allen is a great blocker, and can also catch when given the chance. He immediately becomes our most complete TE, and gives us a legit starter if Gesicki and Smythe continue to stink up the joint.

The Phins FINALLY have a TE that can block a DE one-on-one...been a long time....

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:46 pm

I like it.

Safe to say Derby and Gray gone too, I think they are both free agents.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:38 pm

Hearing that the Vikings are expected to go after Ja'Wuan James, and the Jets will make a push for Trey Flowers.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:21 am

Trey Flowers might want to rethink where he is going.

Also Miami Rumor report: Miami is going after Tyrod Taylor. He is from the neighborhood I lived in for about 5 years and to be honest I not surprised. he cheap and wouldn't be a bad backup if miami for next years QB

Sent from Topic'it App

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:14 am

Amendola signed a 1-year deal with the Lions.

Tyrod Taylor makes sense for the Phins. He shouldn't be too expensive, and he's a solid stop-gap starter for now (or a solid backup if one of the young QBs miraculously wins a starting job).

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:50 am

JMP wrote:Solid signing.  Allen is a great blocker, and can also catch when given the chance.  He immediately becomes our most complete TE, and gives us a legit starter if Gesicki and Smythe continue to stink up the joint.  

The Phins FINALLY have a TE that can block a DE one-on-one...been a long time....

i agree that he is a decent player, but this signing seems contrary to supposed youth/re-build mode. he's only on a 2 year contract will be gone once the re-build is complete. i guess he's being brought in to lead by example and teach the young guys how to block?? makes me wonder if this is a sign the new regime doesn't feel too good about the young TEs on the roster and may head in a different direction?

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:37 am

mercury22nathan wrote:
JMP wrote:Solid signing.  Allen is a great blocker, and can also catch when given the chance.  He immediately becomes our most complete TE, and gives us a legit starter if Gesicki and Smythe continue to stink up the joint.  

i agree that he is a decent player, but this signing seems contrary to supposed youth/re-build mode.  he's only on a 2 year contract will be gone once the re-build is complete.  i guess he's being brought in to lead by example and teach the young guys how to block??  makes me wonder if this is a sign the new regime doesn't feel too good about the young TEs on the roster and may head in a different direction?

Well, a couple of things:

First, I think the main goal this season is to establish a foundation and lay the groundwork for the future. Having at least a couple of veteran players on hand to help build that foundation is key. A guy like Allen can absolutely help in that respect, even if he's not part of the long-term plan. He knows what is expected and he's got the attitude this staff wants. Keep in mind that he completely re-made himself when he joined the Patriots, sacrificing statistics to be a team player that helped out wherever he was needed. That is the type of player Flores and his staff want.

Second, I think this staff is unsure about the young TEs and wants a security blanket in case those guys don't pan out. We needed a blocking TE in the worst way and the youngsters couldn't be counted on. Gesicki can't block anyone, O'Leary isn't much better, and Smythe did not live up to his reputation as a blocker as a rookie. This offense requires TEs to block, and Allen fills the bill. Plus, adding Allen allows the Phins to use Gesicki as primarily a route-runner and not a blocker.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:24 pm

Trey Flowers was just linked to Detroit on Twitter. Nothing confirmed, obviously.

I'm a bit relieved. As good a fit as he would be, signing a big $$$ veteran makes little sense in Offseason One of a major rebuild.

Dump, dump and dump some more contracts. Load up on young guys through the draft, and pick up a ton of UFA too.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:34 pm

Twitter: Frank Gore to Bills, one year $2 million.

As much as I hate to see him go.... old running backs don't fit the rebuild of this roster. Our running backs will be young, and they will contribute to STs as well.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:36 pm

And as much as I understand the move, I need to let out one brief emotion. The Bills. Why the Bills?

Nooooooooo!!!!
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:27 pm

Glad we did not break the bank for Flowers. No need for a big contact at this point. I say grab at least 2 of the top DL'men coming out this year. There are probably 10 that could be taken in the first 2 rounds. Much cheaper that 15 mil for Flowers.
scotgif
scotgif

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:11 am

Ja'Wuan James is a Bronco, and now the highest-paid RT in football. Good for him - and better for the Phins to not give a massive payday to a mediocre lineman.

4 years $52 million with $32 million guaranteed...just absurd numbers. At this rate, Tunsil will get close to $20 million a year when he gets his new deal.

I wanted Flowers, but very happy we didn't pay him that contract. Way too much for him. Looks like we're finally doing things the right way.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:18 am

Tannenbaum would find a lesser tackle, pay him $48 million and consider it a bargain.

No free agents please. More signings like Dwayne Allen. Short term reasonable deals.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:48 am

Yeah, clear out as many long-term cap killing contracts as you can this year.

James is a good lineman, but that's too much. I guess this does put OT in play early in the draft, but Hell, what position isn't in play at this point?

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:44 am

I guess this does put OT in play early in the draft, but Hell, what position isn't in play at this point?

Agree. This roster has holes everywhere. Our draft class better be good, because many of them will be on the field starting for us week 1.

With that said, I'd go cheap at RT. I'd use my early round draft choices on impact positions. Edge Rusher, Defensive Tackle, Defensive End, QB. If we have to start someone like Davis or Young at RT so be it. As long as they can hold down the fort (and we've seen James backup play with little dropoff), that's fine.

Regarding the o-line specifically, I would not object to drafting a total stud at Center, or even Guard. Protection on the left and in the middle becoming more and more important IMO. Plus the ability to run the ball, which is usually dictated by quality guards.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:02 am

I agree, white - I wouldn't draft a RT early. I'd rather see what Davis could do at RT, and work on fixing the interior OL.

I think the key is going to be acquiring more draft picks in the first 3-4 rounds, so we can adequately address both DL and OL and maybe even QB. Too much talent in this draft to stand pat with our current picks.

And that's why, the more I think about it, the more I would like to see the Phins trade down in round 1 to get more picks. I usually don't like trading down, but when you're rebuilding you need extra picks.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:24 am

Teddy Bridgewater re-signed with the Saints...reportedly turning down a bigger offer from the Dolphins!

I'm glad to hear that the Phins were interested and made a more-than-competitive offer...too bad they didn't get him. I think Tyrod Taylor will be next on the list.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:46 am

Damn, Jets got Anthony Barr AND CJ Mosley...building a sick defense. Neutral

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:49 am

Yeah. Tank? We won't have to the way our division foes are lighting up free agency. Again, assuming all those moves work out for them...

Plus let's face the honest truth. We are the only one in the division without a QB. It APPEARS (it's early) both the Jets and Bills found their franchise guy last year.

Buckle up, men. Going to be a rough ride.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:12 am

Yep. It could be a loooong season for the Phins. And that's OK - it's about the long term, not next season. We need to be patient - again.

BTW - a move that didn't seem to get much press: Bills get Mitch Morse...one of the best centers in the game when healthy. He's been banged up the last two seasons, but damn is he good.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:26 am

OL Billy Turner just got a 4 year 28 million dollar deal from the Packers. Yes, THAT Billy Turner. LOL!

Free agency really is a fools errand. Sitting back to watch I'm seeing that more clearly than ever.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next