The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Four weeks to go: First mock

+3
JMP
rightchea
HalCHorn
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Four weeks to go: First mock - Page 2 Empty Re: Four weeks to go: First mock

Post by JMP Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:24 am

HalCHorn wrote:Just keep taking QB's at a good value until you hit on one.  

We almost had this correct from 2007-2009 when we finally started putting value on the position after both Wanny AND Saban refused to.  Unfortunately we chose poorly.  Beck was 26 years old and Pat White was never intended to compete for the starting job (you take guys like that in the LATE rounds, not the 2nd).  Henne was actually a fair shot worth taking late in the second, but it just happened to be a year that had two franchise guys in the first round and we passed on em....

Just keep taking values, one will hit.  Even this year, one of these guys will fall further than you'd expect.  Prescott and Cousins were fourth rounders, Wilson a third.  

Patriots have taken 5 QB's since 2010, even with Brady.  They get it.  Hopefully we will now.

Yep, nailed it Hal.

Once again, I really like the idea of drafting Easton Stick if at all possible...round 4 or so. Best case - he becomes your future starter. Or maybe he becomes a solid backup, and he develops enough that you can trade him for a higher pick in 2 years. Worst case - he does nothing and you lost a 4th or 5th. Low risk, potentially high reward. Keep drafting QBs...that's the bottom line.

Speaking of QBs...hearing on ESPN Radio that Jarrett Stidham is really moving up draft boards and now could go in round two. Same with Ryan Finley.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:55 pm

Well, I agree that you just keep drafting QBs....even if you have a Tom Brady....you maybe draft a developmental QB and develop him and trade him, or move on tot he next QB pick, or whatever.

The QB position is THE Limiting factor in the NFL IMO.

You can have all pros nearly everywhere else, but if the QB position stinks, you ain't gonna win a SB IMO.

I have not seen all the QB prospects, but me and Charlie Weiss like Will Grier.

And I agree with whomever said it: you cannot WAIT on a QB!!  If a guy you think is the one or can develop into the one, you take him. And just because you did draft one this year, it should not preclude you from drafting another one next year. Or the year after.  This is where most front office types and HCs screw the canine pet repeatedly; they base their drafts on last year's decisions and hopes for those picks. At every other position besides QB, you can get by with that, but NOT AT QB!!!

Draft a QB. Every year. And keep doing it.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:18 pm

Great post, FF...and you know I agree!

I'm not sold on Will Grier because I'm not convinced he has an NFL arm...but it's all a crapshoot anyway. I think he'll go in round 2 or 3, because he does have skills. I wouldn't be mad if the Phins took a flier on him, but I'd be hesitant to use a 2nd on him.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:33 pm

Give me rightchea draft right now and I'd be thrilled!

I believe Will Grier is worth a 3rd or 4th round investment, allows us to use our earlier picks on the trenches, and he might turn out to be the 2nd best QB in this class.

The article on 538 below explains metrics that reveal he is an excellent prospect - chance of success in the NFL for Grier is 90% (just 7 pct points less than Murray).

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-nfl-is-drafting-quarterbacks-all-wrong/?ex_cid=538twitter
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2