The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jones a no-show at (voluntary) mini camp

5 posters

Go down

Jones a no-show at (voluntary) mini camp Empty Jones a no-show at (voluntary) mini camp

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:49 am

...safety Reshad Jones, might be traded before the season.

Jones, 31 and the team’s highest-paid player, didn’t show up to Tuesday’s camp. And, yes, the three-day affair is voluntary.

But nothing about this decision suggests Jones is fully invested in the team. Perhaps because he found out that the team is not fully invested in him.

Jones skipped a day of a mandatory minicamp in 2016 and quit after 10 snaps against the New York Jets last season because he didn’t want to be part of a rotation system. Now this.

This is a breakup waiting to happen.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article229315664.html

is the press making this a bigger deal than it really is?

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Jones a no-show at (voluntary) mini camp Empty Re: Jones a no-show at (voluntary) mini camp

Post by finfanatic Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:24 am

I have always liked his aggressiveness and how hard he hits, and he is probably the best player on defense (?...Might be Howard?) but with he situation the Phins are in now, he is not worth the cap hit IMO.

Get a few new SEC safeties and start over is my advice.

Probably not gonna happen, but....

And one thing the article above mentions that should be focused on IMHO.... Charles Harris!

Charles Harris was the first-round pick in 2017 and he has been relegated to rotational duty each of his first two seasons. But beyond not producing, Harris has sometimes disappointed the Dolphins in that sometimes he “lost himself” with other issues, according to a source.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article229315664.html#storylink=cpy

Just how BAD a pick was this???? When you only look at the physical, this is what you get; a physical specimen without the mental aspects to compete in the NFL.

I was fairly sure they would go with Taco Charlton with that pick, which would have been better than Harris, but....

I wanted TE David Njoku myself, but did not think Miami would go TE in round 1. And they did not.

T J Watt would have been a good pick also.

When you scroogy yourself on a 1st round pick, the consequences have ramifications far in excess of just missing on one pick. The decisions the team makes down the road while they HOPE the pick develops or shows something are often far worse than just blowing a 1st round pick IMO.

I do hope the Phins have learned a lesson about this predicament, and get an edge rusher (or two) in this draft.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Jones a no-show at (voluntary) mini camp Empty Re: Jones a no-show at (voluntary) mini camp

Post by JMP Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:52 am

Jones spoke with Flores about missing the mini-camp, so no big deal. But I do think the Phins could move on from Jones this offseason. The cap hit would be huge but not impossible.

As for Charles Harris...I have no problem with Flores giving him a chance. But I expect absolutely nothing. Just an awful, awful pick. And it's even worse when look at the next 8 players drafted immediately after Harris:
TE Evan Engram
CB Gareon Conley
S Jabrill Peppers
DE Tak McKinley
CB Tre'Davious White
DE Taco Charlton
TE David Njoku
LB T. J. Watt

That's a serious list of damn good players (other than Taco), some great. And instead we drafted a total BUST. Embarassed Let's hope that pick was more Tannenbaum than Grier...

Think about that for a second...if you look at just those 9 players (Harris and the other 8 taken right after him), we had a 2 in 9 chance of failing (counting Harris and Charlton as fails), and a 7 in 9 chance of succeeding. Great odds - and of course, we blew it. Ugh!!!! So frustrating. Mad

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:17 am

2016 is certainly looking like a very good draft, could look even better in another year or two, but 2017...ugh.

Moving on to the second round, we picked the wrong LB; Zach Cunningham was clearly better, and DT Dalvin Tomlinson was the very next pick after McMillian. Dawkins or Moton would have filled a clear O-line need.

At least with Tankersley there isn't a clear list of contributors immediately following that pick. But still, the potential was there to find excellent players who filled a need, and we blew it.

As for Jones, he deserves a chance to play his two or three remaining seasons on a contender. If we trade him after the draft and get another late round pick, I'm fine with it. By the time this team is good again, Jones won't be.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:22 am

And it's even worse when look at the next 8 players drafted immediately after Harris:
TE Evan Engram
CB Gareon Conley
S Jabrill Peppers
DE Tak McKinley
CB Tre'Davious White
DE Taco Charlton
TE David Njoku
LB T. J. Watt

Wow, several of these guys would look great on this team.

Personally, Tre'Davious White would be my choice. Bookend with Howard that's the foundation of a really good secondary.

TJ Watt would be awesome in this scheme, not sure how he would have looked in the 4-3 wide 9 BS we ran under Gase...
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down