The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Veteran free agents that could help our pass rush

4 posters

Go down

Veteran free agents that could help our pass rush Empty Veteran free agents that could help our pass rush

Post by JMP Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:56 am

So, yeah, pass rush is still a major need for the Phins. Here are some available veteran free agents that could help:

DE Ezekiel Ansah - He'll be 30 next month. Ansah has 48 career sacks, including 12 in 2017 and 14.5 in 2015, and 4 sacks in just 7 games last season. He's had an inconsistent career and is coming off an injury-plagued 2018, but he has good size (6'5", 275) and likely still has some gas in the tank.

OLB Jamie Collins - former Patriot, so you know he's on the radar. Had a very productive 2018 season, with 104 tackles, 4 sacks, a forced fumble and an INT. He'll be 30 in October, but he can still play.

OLB Shane Ray - He's been plagued by injuries the last couple of years, but he's only 26 (in a few weeks) and once showed promise as a pass rusher. Could be worth a look on a one-year "prove it" deal.

ILB Zach Brown - big inside LB that has been extremely productive, racking up 276 tackles and 6.5 sacks in 2016-2017. Last year was a bit of a down year fo him, but he did still have 96 tackles and a sack. He has played OLB a lot too, in college and earlier in his NFL career. He'll be 30 in October.

DE/OLB Derrick Morgan - another 30-year old, Morgan has 44.5 career sacks and has some position flexibility. He's 6'4" 260 and can play as a pass rush DE or OLB.

I know the Dolphins are building a young roster, but some holes will have to be filled with veteran FAs. The guys listed above could all help us in the short-term. Ansah and Collins, in particular, are intriguing to me at the right price.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Veteran free agents that could help our pass rush Empty Re: Veteran free agents that could help our pass rush

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:43 am

Nick Perry: In 2018, Patrick Graham coached Perry and the rest of the Packers linebackers. Now, Graham is the Dolphins’ defensive coordinator and Perry — who had 18 sacks from 2016-2017 — needs a job. Another logical fit.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article229779734.html

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Veteran free agents that could help our pass rush Empty Re: Veteran free agents that could help our pass rush

Post by JMP Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:54 am

Yep, I should have listed Perry. Injuries have slowed him down, but if he's healthy he would make a lot of sense.

And not a pass rusher at all, but if we're looking to beef up the DL with a run stuffer, DT Danny Shelton is still out there. He was a valuable role player for the Pats last season, and is still just 25.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:36 pm

I expect a flurry of signings soon - I think it's post-May 1 you can sign FAs without impacting the comp formula, which is a primary goal for the Fins (now and moving forward, I would think).

June 1 cuts are another source for stop-gap vets on cheap deals.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:12 pm

white1 wrote:I expect a flurry of signings soon - I think it's post-May 1 you can sign FAs without impacting the comp formula, which is a primary goal for the Fins (now and moving forward, I would think).

June 1 cuts are another source for stop-gap vets on cheap deals.

Yep, I expect a few signings this week and next. Really hoping for Jamie Collins, the more I think about it. I know he's been tagged with the "lazy" label, but he's a damn good football player. 2018 was considered a down year for him, and he still put up huge numbers. I guess Flores knows all about him, so we'll see...

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue May 07, 2019 9:19 am

After Tuesday, they can sign any free agent they want without affecting their 2020 compensatory picks.

But they don’t need to wait that long to sign Nick Perry, the edge-rushing linebacker who spent his first seven years in the league with the Packers.

Since the Packers cut Perry in March, the Dolphins could sign him at any time with no penalty.

And there seems to be a real chance they do just that.

They have made overtures to the former first-round pick about coming to Miami and shoring up what on paper is a lackluster pass rush, the Miami Herald has learned.

Connecting the dots: Perry’s position coach in Green Bay last year was Patrick Graham, who is now the Dolphins’ defensive coordinator.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article230067964.html

but how big of a contract does he want? or can this be one of those 1-2 year prove it deals?

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue May 07, 2019 11:32 am

Given his age and lack of production last season, I would think Perry would have to accept a "prove it" deal wherever he signs. Hope it's in Miami!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Tue May 07, 2019 8:08 pm

I'm hoping those guys from the AAF pan out.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down