The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Competition, Leadership Are Priorities At Dolphins OTAs

+4
rightchea
DolFan 316
white1
JMP
8 posters

Go down

Competition, Leadership Are Priorities At Dolphins OTAs  Empty Competition, Leadership Are Priorities At Dolphins OTAs

Post by JMP Wed May 15, 2019 9:21 am

https://www.miamidolphins.com/news/top-news-competition-leadership-are-priorities-at-otas

After wide receiver DeVante Parker failed to catch a long pass near the left sideline during practice Tuesday, he turned around, ran across the other practice field and straight to the wall near the southwest end of the practice facility.

Later in practice, every defensive player did the exact same thing while the offensive players waiting for their return to resume practice.

On the wall was written in giant letters: T.N.T.

Cornerback Eric Rowe explained its meaning after practice, along with the idea of running to the wall and touching it after practice miscues.

“He (Brian Flores) put that wall up,” Rowe said. “It means ‘Takes No Talent.’ It’s basically just saying that mistakes that we make — offsides, false starts — little stuff that really doesn’t take any talent to get good at. If we mess up — I think we had 10 guys on the field or something — and he’ll just send us to the wall until we get those bad habits out of us.”

Rowe said the extra running across the field in the middle of practice, particularly on a hot South Florida day, serves as great incentive to avoid making those mental mistakes.

“Even though it’s a slight jog, from running way over there, it’s tiring,” he said. “You don’t want to make mistakes like that. I think it’s just more, not a physical thing, but it’s more of a mental thing. We can’t have a fumble, a ball-security issue, or a false start, or if the QB fumbles the center exchange, stuff that really doesn’t take much effort to get right.”

Ultimately, new tackle Jordan Mills said, the idea of the wall is to reinforce the idea that little things can make a big difference.

“The TNT wall is just nothing but hard work, dedication and just holding ourselves to a higher standard and to focus on the fundamentals and the little things each day,” he said. “It’s not always much, always focusing on the big things. (It’s) the little things that make a team great. Fundamentals, technique and things like that, being ready for practice and focusing on individual and team periods. That’s what it’s all about.”

WOW!!! This is awesome. Exactly what the Dolphins have NOT done for far too long: focus on fundamentals and "the liittle things". Flores is the Anti-Gase for sure. Focus, technique and accountability are being taught now...things Gase never seemed to understand. I'm feeling real good about the future!! cheers cheers

And, good stuff from Ryan Fitzpatrick:

“I’ve always had to earn every opportunity that I’ve received, so I love it,” Fitzpatrick said. “I love the competition. I love being out here and every day, whether it’s a competition with myself or somebody else, (I am) trying to be the best me that I can be. We’re two days into OTAs, but the mentality of the group right now and the way we’re working, we’re heading in the right direction.

“I think competition always makes you better, whether it be with yourself, with another guy, with another team. Competition, especially for guys out here that are playing at this high of a level, tends to push you and make you even better.”

“I think the way that I’ve done it throughout my career, whether I’m the guy or not the guy, is I try to prepare the best way I can prepare and do the things that have gotten me to where I am in my career,” Fitzpatrick said. “If guys choose to do that as an example and follow it, they can. If they don’t, they can do whatever they want. But I’m a guy that’s going to work hard and try to lead by example. If people want to follow, they can.”

Love it!!

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Competition, Leadership Are Priorities At Dolphins OTAs  Empty Re: Competition, Leadership Are Priorities At Dolphins OTAs

Post by white1 Wed May 15, 2019 9:46 am

It’s a new era.

It’s not going to happen overnight and it’s going to start ugly, but I’m looking forward to watching this team evolve over the season.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Competition, Leadership Are Priorities At Dolphins OTAs  Empty Re: Competition, Leadership Are Priorities At Dolphins OTAs

Post by DolFan 316 Wed May 15, 2019 2:38 pm

I swear, the first thing that popped into my mind when reading this was that Trump's whole building the wall thing is so brilliant it's starting to spread Laughing

But seriously, I get it but I'm also leery of motivational gimmicks after that "Feed The Wolf" fiasco of '11. You know, that motivational ploy that was so successful that it...resulted in the players starting 0-7 on purpose just to get Sparano fired. Ultimately, motivation has to come from within anyway. But at least we now know the new regime acknowledges that there has to be accountability for mental mistakes. Gase never seemed to properly grasp that concept.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed May 15, 2019 2:45 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:I swear, the first thing that popped into my mind when reading this was that Trump's whole building the wall thing is so brilliant it's starting to spread Laughing

But seriously, I get it but I'm also leery of motivational gimmicks after that "Feed The Wolf" fiasco of '11. You know, that motivational ploy that was so successful that it...resulted in the players starting 0-7 on purpose just to get Sparano fired. Ultimately, motivation has to come from within anyway. But at least we now know the new regime acknowledges that there has to be accountability for mental mistakes. Gase never seemed to properly grasp that concept.

Yeah, I don't think these cute ploys work long-term, but in the short-term as they try to build a foundation I think it's an excellent way to set the tone and lay the groundwork for the identity of the team. Once these players buy in and understand what is expected of them, that identity will carry through into the future and will then be passed on to new players.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu May 16, 2019 9:41 am

I feel like this is more of a get your shit together than motivational. little mistakes can hurt a team and Flores saw it happen in the AFC championship with Dee Ford. So I can understand why he has it up because simple mistakes are game changing

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu May 16, 2019 9:53 am

Mental mistakes, as well as both post and pre-snap penalties PLAGUED Gase's teams.

Accountability and responsibility. That's what Flores is preaching.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Sat May 18, 2019 10:14 pm

Bring back the lobster traps

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Wed May 22, 2019 1:03 pm

Anything to make the players more accountable for their screw ups is A-okay with me.

Problem with Gase was, most of the problems were CAUSED by his arrogance and obliviousness.

Looks like the Jets are about to get a severe dose of it too.

I am gonna reserver judgement on Flores. We will have to see how the players play for him after they lose a few times. If they still have confidence in him. Once a HC has lost the team, it is IMPOSSIBLE to get them back IMHO. Something Huizenga learned when he brought Wannstedt back even though every player on the team knew he was criminally dumb when it came to Head Coaching.

I wonder how long it is gonna take Gase to lose the Jets players? One year...Two...
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Wed May 22, 2019 9:16 pm

finfanatic wrote:  Once a HC has lost the team, it is IMPOSSIBLE to get them back IMHO.  Something Huizenga learned when he brought Wannstedt back even though every player on the team knew he was criminally dumb when it came to Head Coaching.

I wonder how long it is gonna take Gase to lose the Jets players? One year...Two...

Having Darnold and some good picks from the last two drafts should help, but his situation right now seems eerily similar to Eric Mangini, circa 2009. Mangini had 3 years in New York, pissed a lot of people off after a surprisingly good 10-6 first season, got himself fired after a late-season collapse, then landed on his feet in Cleveland right away for no good reason.

Mangini didn't learn a damn thing from his Jets failings as a result. Doesn't look to me like Gase has learned anything from what happened here either.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Wed May 22, 2019 9:29 pm

I like this headline, much better than, "Cleanliness, Subservience, Lack of Personality Are Priorities in Dolphins' OTAs".

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down