The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phins - Jags score predictions

+4
finskev
DolFan 316
JMP
mercury22nathan
8 posters

Go down

Phins - Jags score predictions Empty Phins - Jags score predictions

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:23 am

so everyone who predicted a run-away win last week (yours truly included) against the hapless Skins didn't get it right. but come on, this is the Jacksonville Jaguars - they suck, right? the Phins gotta crush these guys.

The Jaguars have allowed at least four sacks in eight consecutive games.... the Jaguars' protection of their quarterback is putrid... the Dolphins should be able to do what eight teams have done the past eight games against the Jaguars -- which is make Blake Bortles or whomever is playing quarterback quite uncomfortable... If the Dolphins, however, fail to mount consistent pressure against Bortles, that would suggest something is amiss because, again, everyone else seems to be able to do it.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2015/09/stat-of-the-week-bortles-goes-down-a-lot-.html

are you serious, 8 straight games with 4 sacks or more?!?! how can the Phins not rip this team apart?

Miami - 16
Jacksonville - 13

because its what the Phins do...eek out against the teams they should kill.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Phins - Jags score predictions Empty Re: Phins - Jags score predictions

Post by JMP Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:37 am

The game against the Jags last season was very much like last week's game against the Skins: the Jags dominated for the better part of 3 quarters but couldn't score, and the Dolphins needed miracles on defense (two pick 6s) to win (in the Skins game the miracle came on STs, with Landry's punt return TD). I expect more of the same this time around...the Phins will sleepwalk through the first 3 quarters and then win the game in the 4th with a crazy defensive play or two. I fully expect this to be a low-scoring game where the Dolphins' offense struggles.

Franks will be the hero this week with a late FG to give the Phins a 17-13 win (which includes a defensive score for Miami).

As for the Dolphins' pass rush, I'm not expecting much. Wake and Vernon have had trouble beating one-on-one matchups since last season, and it continued last week. The Jags do have a couple of good young receivers, and a rookie rising star (IMO) at RB in TJ Yeldon, and Bortles can do some damage if he has time. This is a game that the Phins can win easily if the defense shows up early, but I'm just not seeing it. I think it will again be a struggle.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:21 am

Dave Hyde picks Dolphins, 30-10.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/dave-hyde-blog/sfl-hyde5-five-reasons-i-m-picking-dolphins-30-jacksonville-10-20150918-story.html

Jacksonville’s offense is b-a-d. This is in NFL context, of course, meaning there will be a handful of times this year where the offense will be good. It’s up to the Dolphins defense to not allow that here. Jacksonville quarterback Blake Bortles threw a pick-6 that swung the game against Carolina last week. He had a 54.5 rating. He was sacked five times. His leading rusher, T.J. Yeldon, had 51 yards. His leading receiver, U of Miami product Allen Hurns, had five catches for 60 yards. Am I drawing the picture? This is an offense the Dolphins defense should take apart – if it’s the defense it’s supposed to be.

I bolded the last sentence, because Washington was also a team that the Phins' D should have picked apart...especially after DeSean Jackson was out.  

Regardless, I just don't see the Phins scoring 30 points here.  The offense is just too inconsistent, and the Jags have a pretty solid D that is physical enough to give our finesse OL problems.

Last edited by JMP on Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:12 pm

JMP wrote:As for the Dolphins' pass rush, I'm not expecting much.  Wake and Vernon have had trouble beating one-on-one matchups since last season, and it continued last week.

I get the feeling Vernon has peaked and won't be getting any better. I know that Wake is done. He was officially done around midway through last season. Time is the one opponent no man can defeat, although they still keep trying.

Whoops, almost forgot. I hate to be *that* guy, but I'm going with Merc's prediction. It just feels right, plus it happens to be the exact same score the '97 Fins gummed their way past the Oilers by, and as I said earlier this start is reminding me more and more of the '97 team by the day.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:23 pm

JMP wrote:Regardless, I just don't see the Phins scoring 30 points here.  The offense is just too inconsistent, and the Jags have a pretty solid D that is physical enough to give our finesse OL problems.

Some high school teams might be physical enough to give this OL problems Laughing But the Fins will get to 30 against *somebody* this season. Even if it's a garbage time score in a blowout loss (I'm thinking Pats). For one thing they've managed it at least once every season after the first year of their existence, and if teams like the '07 and '04 squads as well as the Henning and JJ era offenses could do it, so can this team.

Weird but true: last season the Fins actually managed to score 30 or more five times, the most in a season since '01 Shocked

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/tgl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=season&year_min=1966&year_max=2015&game_type=R&playoff_round=&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&week_num_min=0&week_num_max=99&game_day_of_week=&game_time=&time_zone=&game_location=&surface=&roof=&stadium_id=&temperature_gtlt=lt&temperature=&game_result=&overtime=&league_id=&team_id=mia&team_conf_id=&team_div_id=&opp_id=&opp_conf_id=&opp_div_id=&team_off_scheme=&team_def_align=&opp_off_scheme=&opp_def_align=&conference_game=&division_game=&tm_is_playoff=&opp_is_playoff=&tm_is_winning=&opp_is_winning=&tm_scored_first=&tm_led=&tm_trailed=&tm_won_toss=&c1stat=points&c1comp=gt&c1val=30&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&c5comp=&c5gtlt=lt&c6mult=1.0&c6comp=&order_by=game_date

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:34 pm

27 -14 aquatic mammals.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:48 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:...I'm going with Merc's prediction. It just feels right...

i am honored, good sir.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:18 pm

I will be making my return to the scene of the Crime from last years game along with 30,000 other dolphin fans which is a pretty accurate numbers, Hopefully the offense willscore more than 13 points this time. I will go with 24-13 this time.

finskev

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:02 pm

I don't like the be a downer but at the same time I don't see Miami losing this one. 24 - 17 Miami

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Triumph Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:36 pm

What do I get if I pick the jags? And since Dolfan shared the stats go big or go home Jags 30 Miami 19 Let the beer flow.
Triumph
Triumph

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:18 pm

I was considering picking the Jags 33-7, Triumph, but I felt like being positive. It's not something I've become accustomed to with this team.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:51 pm

This team could easily go up to Jacksonville and lose, just because this staff repeatedly has them playing down to the competition's level.

I do think the talent disparity is enough that Miami should struggle to another win, though. I'll say 19-14, Miami.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down