new o-line concept

View previous topic View next topic Go down

new o-line concept

Post by mercury22nathan on Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:35 am

no, sadly not for the Phins. hell, Miami can't even find 5 guys to play adequately. but NE, well that's a different story...

Through their first 30 offensive possessions this year, the Patriots have rolled out nine offensive-line combinations (not including kneels to end halves), and they deployed a 10th unique combination on goal-line packages against the Jaguars that resulted in three LeGarrette Blount rushing touchdowns. Against the Steelers in Week 1, they didn't begin consecutive possessions with the same offensive-line combination until the sixth and seventh possessions.

This could mean that the offensive line will eventually be treated a lot more like the defensive line: Certain offensive linemen with specific skill sets will be brought in exclusively for rushing plays, or goal-line plays, and so forth, just as certain defensive linemen are used for pass-rushing or crowding the box. If what the Patriots are doing holds on, the whole position could be changed.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/bill-belichick-made-simple-change-155902845.html

just one more thing for Miami to be behind the curve on.

mercury22nathan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new o-line concept

Post by HalCHorn on Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:58 am

At this point I think we'd be better off to fire the HC and both coordinators and just let Tanny and Suh draw up plays in the dirt during the huddles.

HalCHorn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:24 am

Damn, this is CRAZY!  Talk about innovation!  I did notice different linemen playing when I watched the Pats, but it didn't even cross my mind that it was strategy.  No doubt that other teams will be attempting this.  It makes sense; like the article states, it forces opposing defenses to step back and think about what they're seeing...which leads to hesitation and mistakes.

The league has been heading this way anyway, with many teams using "jumbo" packages and other OL combinations in specific situations.  But to my knowledge, no team has ever done anything like this, at this scale.  It's actually a really cool concept, if you have the right players and a coaching staff that knows what they're doing.

Note that Patriot OL coach Dave DeGuglielmo was with the Dolphins in the Sparano era...

Last edited by JMP on Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:55 pm

This is what happens when you have an excellent coach at the top dictating the kind of excellence he expects from his coaches, players, administration, trainers, ball boys, deflaters, Brady fluffers, etc.

Bellichick is the guy that decides how he wants to break the molds, and he gets people working on his ideas.  

Philbin shits his pants and stands on the sidelines with his mouth agape.

Without further ado, here's Channing Crowder.

Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:59 pm

I heard that Crowder song on QAM - hilarious! lol!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:02 pm

And accurate.  Not since Wanny have I seen a guy look more clueless and having his mouth wide open on game day.
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:12 pm

I get so fucking angry when they show Philbin on TV after a bad play...there's just no reaction from him at all. He's like a goddamn zombie. I really don't know what his job is on this team - what the hell does he do on gameday other than stand around and look lost?

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:13 pm

I often wonder what's playing in his headset. Affirmations? Easy listening? Gregorian chant?

The only thing he shows energy for is his fast-clap for the guys to get off the field after fucking up, yet again.
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea on Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:15 pm

The problem is that Miami doesn't have anyone on the O-Line that can do that.

rightchea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:18 pm

I'm not sure I believe that we don't have the players. Seems when our shitty players leave here they play pretty damn well. I'm willing to bet we have a couple guards on the current roster that would improve our line enough to be a much better team, not a great line but much better than possibly the worst line in football.
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:19 pm

Here's the crux. Does anyone here believe that Bill Bellichick could get this team to perform better, because I sure as hell do. That being said, where does the issue really lie? I think it's pretty obvious.
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:09 pm

I see Crowder's even worse at singing than he was at football, yikes Shocked pale

This O-line concept is about as revolutionary as the Wildcat. In other words, enough to catch teams off guard for half a season until they figure out that OL X is in for run plays only and OL Y is just in for pass plays. And then the whole thing falls apart. The Pats are only getting away with it because they get away with anything, on AND off the field. Like throwing constant short passes that would always get stopped short of the marker on 3rd down if any other team did it, for example.

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:14 pm

The difference is, the Pats will change it before it gets figured out next year. That's how Bill rolls.
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:31 pm

Degarmo wrote:The difference is, the Pats will change it before it gets figured out next year.  That's how Bill rolls.

That, and they're not telegraphing their plays with the OL changes. There doesn't seem to be a pattern...it's not as simple as 'this OL group means pass, this one means run'. They run different plays with different looks, and constantly change it up. It really keeps the defense on it's heels. They run out of pass formations, pass out of run formations - it's just not easy to figure out what they're doing. And even when they throw the ball 25 times in a row, defenses still can't stop them.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:16 pm

I remember when the Pats drafted Gronk and Hernandez, and using two TEs prolifically in the passing game was supposed to be the Next Big Thing, and other teams copied it, but the whole thing fizzled out, even for the Pats. I still think this will fizzle as well. The Pats can do things other teams can't because they're the Pats. End of story.

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:18 am

DolFan 316 wrote:I remember when the Pats drafted Gronk and Hernandez, and using two TEs prolifically in the passing game was supposed to be the Next Big Thing, and other teams copied it, but the whole thing fizzled out, even for the Pats. I still think this will fizzle as well. The Pats can do things other teams can't because they're the Pats. End of story.

I don't know that the two TE thing fizzled out. I think it has more to do with the fact that there's not another TE on the planet like Gronk. The guy is uncoverable (assuming that's not a word...but it sounds good with the beer and rum in my head...)

Regardless, whether by cheating or stellar coaching, the Patriots are always a step ahead of the rest of the league...and about a light year ahead of the Dolphins.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top