The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Found This Interesting

+2
Birdmond
DolFan 316
6 posters

Go down

Found This Interesting Empty Found This Interesting

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:54 am

Why can't the Fins ever draft O-linemen beyond the first round who do this well right away--or ever?

http://titansized.com/2015/10/14/how-did-the-jeremiah-poutasi-do-this-week/?utm_source=FanSided&utm_medium=Network&utm_campaign=RecentPosts

If Poutasi handled Mario Williams that easily, he should curbstomp Wake or Vernon pale

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Found This Interesting Empty Re: Found This Interesting

Post by Birdmond Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:08 am

I think it is a bit more difficult finding OL that fit the ZBS. Another reason I hate the ZBS.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:23 am

When you focus on athleticism and softness on the OL, you get an athletic and soft OL. That's all fine and well if you're on a practice field without pads, but in a real game where the guy across from you is trying to kill you so he can then step over your corpse and kill your QB, well, you get the current Dolphins' OL.

I remember when zone-blocking teams used to have athletic tough linemen that got out front and kicked ass - like the old Broncos teams with Terrell Davis. Hell, you still see that type of OL today on the Packers and Falcons. But, the Dolphins have instead adopted the current college spread system that relies on finesse and deception rather than ass-kicking. A team's indentity is forged in the trenches...if the guys up front are weak and soft, that's the type of offense you'll have. The Dolphins are basically sending ballerinas to a street fight, and it ain't pretty. I know Tannenbaum doesn't want to play that type of football, and I fully expect him to change that this offseason. Given Tannehill's shortcomings, we'd be better off running a more traditional 2-back set with the QB under center, and a heavy emphasis on 'ground and pound' and playaction passing.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:03 am

You know, it's a good thought and I actually see a possibility of changing this some in the near future.

I would consider Albert, Pouncey, James and Turner as good fits for a more power scheme on the offensive line. I think all of them are physical and strong enough to do the job. We would still have the weak link at LG, but one spot should not be too hard to cover account for. IIRC, Thomas biggest problem is pass protection anyways, I think he can run block well enough.

Agree that Tannebaum will go further in the offseason, I'm just saying it's possible we can make changes now to get away from finesse and go to more traditional road-grader blocking. I don't think it's the players as much as it is the scheme.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:06 pm

white1 wrote:You know, it's a good thought and I actually see a possibility of changing this some in the near future.

I would consider Albert, Pouncey, James and Turner as good fits for a more power scheme on the offensive line.  I think all of them are physical and strong enough to do the job. We would still have the weak link at LG, but one spot should not be too hard to cover account for.  IIRC, Thomas biggest problem is pass protection anyways, I think he can run block well enough.

Agree that Tannebaum will go further in the offseason, I'm just saying it's possible we can make changes now to get away from finesse and go to more traditional road-grader blocking. I don't think it's the players as much as it is the scheme.

Albert is just too unreliable - gets hurt too often. We need to find his replacement in the offseason.

As for this season, I don't think we'll be able to make wholesale changes. Lazor is still here, and he's not going to all of a sudden change his system to any great degree. I think we'll run the ball more, but not sure how different the actual scheme will be - there's just not enough time for Lazor and the players to adopt a new system. But, we'll see what happens...if they can at least be competitive on offense, that would be a plus.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:22 pm

You know how the NFL offensive pendulum is starting to swing again, and I think a lot of this zone blocking shit is going to get scrapped. I don't know how many of you guys have noticed, but 3rd and 1 and goal-line running game failures (on both accounts) is at an epidemic high in the NFL due to lack of any kind of decent power game. I blame it on so many teams that run the zone blocking scheme, but not very well. It's all the rage with morons right now, er, offensive coordinators, I mean. Teams that even intermittently put in power sets are running the ball really well, and I think that has a lot to do with the fact that the linebackers are getting taller but thinner to cover these TEs coming off the line into the seams and secondary. It's like they're safeties now.

If we're going to continue with the zone blocking garbage then they need to get either Daddy or Kiddy Shannahan in here to install it correctly.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:43 am

one week we're holding Poutasi up as the model for what we want the Phins' o-line to be, the next he's the goat.

On offense, it was not a good day for the right tackles. After starting and playing every snap so far this season as a rookie, OT Jeremiah Poutasi (-2.5) was benched after just 21 snaps. At the time he was benched, Poutasi allowed three sacks on 13 pass block attempts.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/10/19/mia-ten-grades-defense-tannehill-slaughter-titans/

go figure.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:52 am

I'll take the credit for jinxing him. You're welcome Cool

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down