do you like the 2015 Phins O-line?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

do you like the 2015 Phins O-line?

Post by mercury22nathan on Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:33 am

then you'll love the 2016 version...

Barring a significant shift, the Dolphins might be tempted to go into the 2016 season with generally the same offensive line as in 2015. Wait, that's wrong. Jason Fox is not included in that. The team is not happy with him as a No. 3 offensive tackle and that may cost him his job before next season. But Albert, Pouncey, James, Turner, and Thomas?

They're coming back. And they're probably going get a grand opportunity to be the starters again next training camp.

Yes, there may be a new coach. There may be a new system. But the Senior Vice President, Mike Tannenbaum, is not going anywhere. And he makes the ultimate decisions on personnel.

And he's got other pressing issues, folks.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2015/12/big-shakeup-for-2016-dolphins-offensive-line-no.html

that sounds you hear is either me banging my head on the table or Dallas Thomas allowing Tannehill to be slammed against the turf.

mercury22nathan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: do you like the 2015 Phins O-line?

Post by JMP on Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:43 pm

My take:
LT - Albert is aging, he gets hurt often, and his play is declining
LG - Dallas Thomas is the worst Guard I've ever seen, and I have seen nothing to indicate that he'll get better
C - Pouncey is very overrated, but he's good enough
RG - Billy Turner has had an awful season, but he at least appears to have some level of upside
RT - Ja'Wuan James is decent - not great, but pretty good when healthy
Depth at each position - non-existent

What I would do in the offseason:
- Priority #1 - cut Dallas Thomas
- Priority #2 - cut Dallas Thomas...he's so bad, I want to get rid of his sorry ass twice
- Priority #3 - cut every backup lineman, including Jason Fox and Jamil Douglas. They are all dead ends IMO.
- I would draft a future starting LT that can begin his career as the reserve swing tackle
- I would sign a veteran LG in free agency
- Fill out the OL corps with some combination of another draft pick, undrafted rookies and cheap vets
- To start the season, I'm OK rolling with Albert, Pouncey, Turner, James and a new LG as the starters

So I guess the moral of my story is, I'd cut Thomas, address the swing tackle job with a high-quality rookie to groom as the eventual starting LT, AND build depth.

As I've said many times, I don't think you need a great OL to win in this league. If we can find a legit LG and adequately address depth issues (especially at LT), I think that's enough to give us a solid line.

Of course, a lot will depend on what scheme the new coaching staff will run - that could change things drastically.

JMP
Admin

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:12 pm

I'm good with JMP approach.

Mando is intentionally trying to "troll" the fan base with this one. Weak attempt.

If we draft a high-rated QB in the first round then I could care less if the O line stays the same. Every fan I know is ready for a fresh start, showing Tannehill the door after 2016. Most likely it's Tanny getting killed next year if our offensive line play remains poor. With a rookie QB learning behind him on the bench.

Offensive line? After this year, it totally takes a back seat to the question: "Who is our franchise QB?"

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:22 pm

Agreed, white. And it's important to note that some QBs make their OL better with ability to read defenses and identify pressure, pocket presense, pocket movement, quick decision-making, quick release, etc. We haven't had a QB that could check off most of those boxes since Marino.

OL needs to be addressed, as do many other positions, but the key to the offseason is finding our next starting QB. Ideally, someone that can at least put some pressure on Tannehill in 2016, and (assuming Tannehill continues to struggle in key situations) take over as the starter in 2017.

JMP
Admin

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:22 pm

I would also look to draft players on the line that are going to PLAY THE POSITION THEY PLAYED IN COLLEGE. No more turning tackles into guards, moving them to different sides, etc. Just draft a guy that plays the position you need. Coaches seem to think that you can just move a guy around like the line is all the same position. To those that know, like Merc for example, there are huge technique differences at each position on the line, particularly when it comes to pass blocking.
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:18 pm

If the Fins are actually dumb enough to not change the starting O-line, they WILL be 0-16 next season. There's no way around it.

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:42 pm

This all starts from the top. If they can't identify talent, they just need to go ahead and pick whoever Mayock says is best available. As a matter of fact, I think this draft I'm going to see who he thinks we should draft and write it down somewhere, maybe here, to look back later to see if it would have been better than the shit we WILL draft.

I'm still not understanding the Hickey supporters. They say he's drafted good players. This team is absolutely filled with losers who are perfectly happy to be losers. Hickey hasn't done a fucking thing. It's as if Ireland never left.
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top