The Reasons Gase was Hired - Armando

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Reasons Gase was Hired - Armando

Post by Degarmo on Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:28 am

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article53964610.html

Interesting that Dan Campbell almost got the gig.

If he goes elsewhere and hits, I'm gonna be miiffalicious.
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Reasons Gase was Hired - Armando

Post by Degarmo on Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:35 am

So, essentially, we hired Gase because of Tannehill. They sure have every horse in the barn hitched to him, don't they? The Philbin not believing in Tannehill is interesting too.

I just wonder how much Gase can do, because he's another dink and dunker. I hope I don't have to start calling him Bubbles as well.
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj on Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:54 am

I guess I'll wait and see. At first I wanted Campbell to get a shot if it wasn't a big name but he lost the job the jast few games. To see another year of the players sitting on the sidelines quit and defeated was the end. Also Rizzi overshadowed him and sometimes at least o the sideline made it look lik e he was running the game.
JEGnj

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:59 am

Yeah, wait and see is pretty much all we've got now.  I hope he's the next Bill Walsh, but I don't seen any evidence that that would be the case at all.
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:11 am

Philbin not believing in tannehill - wow. Head coach has to realize he's tied to the qb. Add it to the list of reasons he was fired.

Well, Chicago had a really strong running game so there's that

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:20 am

The Miami Dolphins are becoming the embodiment of dysfunction.  Hope that changes under Gase and Grier. Double G. There's got to be a joke there.
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:39 am

So Campbell was genuinely pissed at not getting the job?

Maybe he'll be smart enough to realize it's a blessing in disguise. Then again, if he's not already smart enough to realize that...

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:11 am

Full disclosure. I hated the idea of Gase even before the search began. I spent yesterday watching the coverage, reading the reports, blogs and tweets, seething that we hadn't chosen Marrone or waited to interview Hue Jackson, my two person favorites.

I've decided this board could use some optimism. I've played that role before, so why not. I'm actually kind of interested to see how this all turns out.

First point. The Miami front office structure has clearly been changed and solidified. Best part of this past week and coaching search, I did not hear the names "Aponte" or "Peterson" even once. The sole exception, I think it was last weekend, was that Peterson was no where to be seen and Aponte was twisting in the wind with no clear future role. And thank God for that because it may have broken me. Tannenbaum, Grier and Gase are tied at the hip. It's theirs to win or lose. Honestly, with Sparano - Ireland - Philbin and the train wreck of the following Hickey GM search, how could a fan even guess at the power structure and accountability? Again, this has clearly been cleaned up and consolidated under Tannenbaum. The coaching search conducted interviews of seven candidates over 5 days, with their first choice hired on day 6. Such a contrast with our recent embarrassing searches for either head coach or GM, we must consider this aspect a 180 degree turn and total change for the better.

Now let's talk Gase for a bit. He has received rave reviews from John Fox, Nick Saban, and Peyton Manning. I consider that a solid class of knowledgeable football minds. I can't remember anyone vouching for Cameron, Sparano or Philbin like the reports I read yesterday. He's smart, almost a photographic memory. Real capability to relate to players, and the creativity to teach an offense in ways that makes the learning retained and demonstrated on the field. Contrast this with Lazor, by the way, who was widely considered a berating asshole. We also saw Sherman tell a rookie TE he would "cut him today". Granted, Egnew does suck but damn if you do nothing but tear a guy down how will he ever gain the confidence to perform and compete?

Gase got the most out of Manning and it's not close. I saw the last three years in Indy compared against the last three years in Denver. The statistics are worlds apart, it was impressive to see. Again, I was going in skeptical, but the stats were plain as day to see. Notice this year in Denver? Demarius Thomas looks like a shell of his former self. With Cutler, 2015 saw him achieve top 3 career rankings in three QB rating statistics. One was his best ever. The credentials around Gase are real, not imagined.

Let's contrast that last point against Cameron, Sparano, and Philbin. None of them had any kind of Xs and Os credentials that compare to Gase. For that matter, let's talk Campbell. Even in game 16, our offense was still running the ball against defensive sets where they stacked eight in the box. Clearly, we needed to be able to check out of those plays to a pass. But it still wasn't done. Gase was asked yesterday what kind of offense he runs. He gave the perfect answer. Gase will structure the offense around the players on the roster. Sure, everyone says that. But Gase has the track record and intelligence, and the capability to teach to make that a reality. So on one side of the ball, we have a legitimate football mind. And not some old dinosaur, a young creative coach with credentials and the intelligence to create a scheme, and a game plan to exploit mismatches.

Who does that remind you of? Bill Belichek. I'm not saying Gase is Bill. What I'm saying is there's a coach that brought competency on one side of the ball, he's a defensive genius. He used that, found a QB and ran an offense to complement what he was doing on the defensive side of the ball. When looking for a head coach, it's not a bad way to go. Pete Carroll could be considered another example, and Bruce Arians yet another. It's not a bad thing to have a head coach who is planning to run either the offense or defense. What's important is that they have a plan for somebody who knows the other side

Finally, let's talk contract. I have not seen financial terms. But I did see the contract is for five years. FIVE. That's pretty rare. It shows we believe in the new structure, and are planning to build a program. Ross mentioned yesterday, that with a new head coach he expects bumps in the road, but plans to deal with them differently. We've discussed "patience" on this board a number of times. With Cameron, yeah patience makes no sense. Neither did retaining Philbin after year 3. If you've got the right guy, patience does make sense. I can see reasons that indicate we have him.

We will see some ugliness, as he learns on the job with what will be a junior staff. We have to be prepared for that. But we should also see an effective and developing offense. We should see no dysfunction. It's Tannenbaum, Grier and Gase - through the draft, through camp and preseason, through finalizing the 53 man roster. Sink or swim. Nothing to do now but watch it play out.

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:15 am

So Campbell was genuinely pissed at not getting the job?

Maybe he'll be smart enough to realize it's a blessing in disguise. Then again, if he's not already smart enough to realize that...

I read he had a great interview.  Not good, but great.  My guess is he was unable to compete with Gase on how he would "fix" either the defense or Tannehill.  His own performance this year probably hurt him a bit on both counts, obviously.  Sounds to me like it was a close call.  I would love to see him retained in some role.  I could even seem his as OC or QB coach, since Gase will be the one doing the heavy lifting at least in year one.  If Campbell is smart he will recognize that opportunity.  

I liked his press conferences, the players seemed to be passionate about him, but he has more development to do as a coach.  He really can't point to anything that got materially better for the team after Philbin was fired.  Why not learn and develop some more here?

It is tough, to go from "front of the room to back of the room".  It's a tossup on what he'll decide, or what Gase will decide for that matter.

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:05 am

In order to accommodate Tannehill, we've changed the OL multiple times, changed the coordinator, changed the receiving corps, changed the TE corps and now changed the head coach. This is madness. When the hell are people going to realize that if you change everything and still get the same results, that maybe, just maybe, it's the QB????

As I've said over and over, Gases's offense in Chicago sucked. Amazing how things look different when your QB is Jay Cutler instead of Peyton Manning. I don't know how or why Gase became the flavor of the month, but his work with Cutler - who is on the same level as Tannehill IMO - leaves me very unimpressed. The stories that Cutler was so much better in 2015 are pure imagination - it's total bullshit that is not based in reality.

And where is the evidence that Gase is a good talent evaluator? When has that ever been part of his job? Never. Yet he now has final say in Miami.

JMP
Admin

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris on Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:46 am

I don't want Cambell anywhere near Miami. If you have a breakup the worst thing you can do is keep holding onto the past. That would be the quickest way to divide the team.

I'm going to give Gase a 20 game window. I think Miami's biggest problem is the lack of quality players. He will need to be a genius to win with the shit on the field.

We needed an offensive line whisperer. Actually we need someone that can identify lineman in the draft. I have a feeling nobody knows the line in the drafting department!

CarsonChris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:55 pm

Anyone have any proof that Gase is good at developing young QBs? His resume sure shows no signs of it.

Gotta love the new power structure in Miami: Tannenbaum, a man who couldn't even get hired as a janitor in the NFL, is in charge; the GM is at least partly responsible for Miami's horrific drafts for the past 1000 years and has no GM experience; the head coach has final say over the roster yet has never been a head coach and has no experience building a roster. Just when we thought the circus left town, a new one moves in. What a joke.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:56 pm

And oh yeah, all these great things that players and coaches are saying about Gase sound exactly like the things players and coaches said about Philbin.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan on Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:20 am

JMP wrote:In order to accommodate Tannehill, we've changed the OL multiple times, changed the coordinator, changed the receiving corps, changed the TE corps and now changed the head coach.  This is madness.  When the hell are people going to realize that if you change everything and still get the same results, that maybe, just maybe, it's the QB????

so, it appears you and Philbin are the same page...

Philbin blamed the problems of the Dolphins offense on the players in general and Tannehill in particular. All this was done within the private confines of the team's practice facility while publicly Philbin followed the narrative that Tannehill was improving and simply needed more work.

In fact, Philbin was not a Tannehill believer as he led everyone to believe.

It even reached the point Philbin wanted to replace Tannehill.

Before the 2014 draft, I am told Philbin pushed for the Dolphins to draft another quarterback. And he didn't want to just draft a quarterback sometime during the multi-day event, like in the late rounds. He wanted a quarterback in the first round. The team was locked in on addressing the offensive line to protect Tannehill. The team was focused on Ja'Waun James in the first round.

Joe Philbin wanted the Dolphins to draft Derek Carr in the first round instead of James.

Dennis Hickey went with the offensive lineman, as was his power to do. And he picked Jarvis Landry in the second round. The Dolphins made improvement to positions around Tannehill to make him better rather than replace him like Philbin wanted.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2016/01/gase-to-address-miami-dolphins-quarterback-head-coach-relationship.html

i know its been easy to bash Philbin, but perhaps he was right all along. perhaps if the Phins had let Philbin have his way, they'd be a much better off team right now.

mercury22nathan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:35 am

Maybe Philbin isn't as clueless as I thought.  Carr already looks better than Tannehill.

I'd also add that hiring a head coach to fix a QB is a stupid, nonsensical idea.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev on Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:37 pm

When Philbin starting blaming everything on the Players, Ross should have Fired Him on the Spot, You can't be a Leader of Men and take No Responsibilty.

It was Nice to at Least see the Fins Target a Coach they want and than get Him instead of Getting there 5th choice instead.

finskev

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan on Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:45 pm

JMP wrote:i'd also add that hiring a head coach to fix a QB is a stupid, nonsensical idea.

agree. he may be a fine QB coach, but that doesn't make him a HC.

so when Gase comes to the conclusion that Tannehill is the problem, will he be pushed aside like Philbin for the next coach who can "fix" Tannehill?

mercury22nathan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris on Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:37 pm

Gase has two years with Tannehill and 3 years with his choice of QB. There is a reason he has five years on that contract. If year 2 nets the same results then we draft a QB in year 3 and Gase will be given a new 3 year plan.

CarsonChris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:07 pm

No, Philbin isn't any less clueless.  He's a gutless turd with the in-game coaching ability of a dead hooker.  Good riddance.

As a matter of fact, since Philbin was so against Tannehill, it makes me believe that the kid is probably better than I thought.

I don't believe Joe Philbin has one ounce of football sense at all.
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn on Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:16 pm

Degarmo wrote:No, Philbin isn't any less clueless.  He's a gutless turd with the in-game coaching ability of a dead hooker.  Good riddance.

As a matter of fact, since Philbin was so against Tannehill, it makes me believe that the kid is probably better than I thought.

I don't believe Joe Philbin has one ounce of football sense at all.

I agree.

Why didn't the guy state that he liked Carr a lot before the draft?  Why didn't we hear this before Carr started lighting it up this season, if this is the case?

Besides, some common sense:  You don't like the QB they've stuck you with, and hypothetically you've made that known to everyone inside the building including the owner and GM.  Said QB has a makeable 3rd and 6 late in a game to try and seal a win and keep the ball away from Aaron Rodgers.    Isn't that all the more reason to put the ball in his hands, so that if he fails you can say, "see, I told you he's not a winner"? Would give you more cred next time you're suggesting that you need a QB.  Unless, of course, you're afraid he might succeed instead of failing.

This "late breaking" news doesn't exonerate Philbin in any way.  I don't know if Gase will be any better, but I do think he'll at least have more courage than queasy Joe with the game on the line.

HalCHorn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:45 pm

IMO the real issue is that somehow, in the second decade of the 21st century, this team's front office and coaching staff have been completely unable to communicate with each other regarding the types of players they want. It really is inexcusable. I would think that would be the very first thing addressed in a professional sports organization. Not on day one, but hour one.

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:55 pm

BTW white1, I did read your novel--um, post Razz and I have to say, if this was any other team except the Fins what you said would actually make sense. I just didn't want you to think you'd completely wasted all that effort Cool

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:57 pm

LOL.

I was in the mood to write and sum up my thoughts on the topic. I figured it was likely many on this board needed to read a view with some optimism.

What the hell, we got to give this guy his shot. Of course, we will hold no punches if the losses start piling up.

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:00 pm

white1 wrote:Now let's talk Gase for a bit. He has received rave reviews from John Fox, Nick Saban, and Peyton Manning. I consider that a solid class of knowledgeable football minds. I can't remember anyone vouching for Cameron, Sparano or Philbin like the reports I read yesterday.

I'm not surprised that Gase's friends give him ringing endorsements...that's what friends do.  I remember Aaron Rodgers and several others gushing about how great Philbin was.

That said, I do appreciate you offering a different opinion!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top